We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Travelling/Roaming as a Bear

I had an idea which I think woujld make Beornings considerably more cool and fun to play; tell me what y'all think. As an alternative to riding a (non-WS) horse, Beornings should be able to acquire a skill that lets them turn into a bear with the same 2s induction as mounting a horse (with no wrath cost or combat skills) and run around at the same speed as a non-WS horse. Aside from looking cool and being fun to just roam around as a bear without having to pop in-and-out of man form to build wrath, it would just make sense since Beorn (and presumably his descendants) could pretty much turn into bears at will and stay that way.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, but too rare to die. ~Hunter S. Thompson

I agree, but only under the condition that it also behaves like a horse mount.
    No skills can be used, you must dismount to battle, you could get knocked out of bear form like a horse, etc.
    Looks and sounds like a bear, behaves like a horse. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuma View Post
    I agree, but only under the condition that it also behaves like a horse mount.
    No skills can be used, you must dismount to battle, you could get knocked out of bear form like a horse, etc.
    Looks and sounds like a bear, behaves like a horse. Haha.
    Would still have combat skills, its for post 75 play...
    Rimenuir | Fadhroreth | Daechamnir | Rimenswords | Beornemgarth | Rimensneak | Rimenoath | Rimenheals | Rimentank |
    Arkenstone Server, Meneldor native.
    Rimenbuff and Rimenpew: Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Rimenuir View Post
    Would still have combat skills, its for post 75 play...
    Well I was thinking of it just as a replacement for non-combat mounts, but I would definitely love to see a COMBAT version of it too! It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense seeing a bear running as fast as a horse in full gallop, but it would still be awesome to be able to stay in bear form indefinitely without creating balance issues (not that beornings are anywhere near being overpowered as it is)
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, but too rare to die. ~Hunter S. Thompson

If it's a non-travelling bear form you want, too...
    I'm sure it wouldn't be too horrible to rework one of the trees to utilize the bear form more.
    Maybe, for tanking or DPS tree, the talents could also affect the bear form.
    Example, while in Man form, one of your melee skills could do a little more damage, and a claw attack in bear form would increase aggro with the target.

Quote Originally Posted by head0nfire View Post
    I had an idea which I think woujld make Beornings considerably more cool and fun to play; tell me what y'all think. As an alternative to riding a (non-WS) horse, Beornings should be able to acquire a skill that lets them turn into a bear with the same 2s induction as mounting a horse (with no wrath cost or combat skills) and run around at the same speed as a non-WS horse. Aside from looking cool and being fun to just roam around as a bear without having to pop in-and-out of man form to build wrath, it would just make sense since Beorn (and presumably his descendants) could pretty much turn into bears at will and stay that way.
    Love this idea. Seems silly to have a beorning mount a horse if he can run nearly as fast with his own feet. Would it make sense for a character that could switch from man to horse to ride a horse?

I quite avidly support this suggestion.

I actually started a thread a long time ago on this same point, requesting that Beornings be able to travel in bear form. I tried to provide textual support from the books for this, seeing as that in every instance when we hear of Beorn travelling over distances, he does so in bear form, and never - not even once - in man form, and definitely not on horse back! In fact he seems to be very reluctant to even let others ride on his animals. And as for matching a bear-form mount skill to the speed of the horse/pony/goat mounts, he is described as keeping pace for days on end with the horses while in his bear form, even though they were travelling "so far and so fast", and going as "quick as you may!" and "galloping wherever the ground was grassy and smooth".

I think adding this as a way to travel for Beornings would benefit this class a lot, helping create the feeling and tone as portrayed in the books, as truly both man and bear, fully able to live and roam as either form - and not as being essentially men, who if adequately angry, and only when angry, can become bears temporarily. The limitation to only taking bear's form in a Hulk-like anger transformation has bothered me a great deal from the outset, and contradicts what we see in the books in a rather drastic way. By having a bear form mount skill this would allow Beornings to roam freely as bears, no anger required, without changing anything else about the class, so that those who choose to do so can properly run around as bears : ) and not only when fighting. I think this would go a long way to improving the experience and enjoyment of being a Beorning in Middle-earth. I know it would do so for me, big time!

Here are some of the pertinent quotes:

"...nor did they have to wonder long where he had been or why he was so nice to them, for he told them himself. He had been over the river and right back up into the mountains - from which you could guess that he could travel quickly, in bear's shape at any rate."

"He keeps hives and hives of great fierce bees, and lives most on cream and honey. As a bear he ranges far and wide."

"Mr. Baggins’ eyes are sharper than yours, if you have not seen each night after dark a great bear going along with us or sitting far off in the moon watching our camps . Not only to guard you and guide you"

"Beorn may be your friend, but he loves his animals as his children. You do not guess what kindness he has shown you in letting dwarves ride them so far and so fast"

"That third evening they were so eager to press on, for Beorn had said that they should reach the forest-gate early on the fourth-day, that they rode still forward after dusk and into the night beneath the moon. As the light faded Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction . But if he dared to mention it to Gandalf, the wizard only said: "Hush! Take no notice!"

In practice my suggestion would be that Beornings have a new skill on their bar which functions exactly the same as a mount skill (horse/pony/goat) but that the appearance is that of a bear. No, not a bear that you ride on. You would simply assume bear form but it would operate identically to a mount skill - with the same speed, same durability before knocked out of that form (knocked off the mount), the same restrictions preventing taking that form (mounting up) inside buildings, the same inability to use any skills you normally wouldn't be able to if mounted, etc... In all ways it would function identically to being on a mount.

It would also open up options, if our devs saw fit to do so, allowing for different bear appearances in the same way as other mount appearances can be earned or purchased. Since currently Beornings only come in a narrow range of shades of black, grey, or brown, when acquiring this Beorning bear-form mount-type skill there could be a starting selection for free from those three colour options, allowing players to choose one that resembles (even if not quite matching) their normal bear-form colour, or even allowing them to choose a non-matching colour if they prefer. Beyond that initial choice perhaps players would be interested in being able to earn or purchase additional bear-form mount-type skill appearances. These could add colours that are direly missing from our current bear-form fur colour options: like white, and fox-like red (both of which are colours that bears indeed occur in), and also having options perhaps of bears with other markings, like war scars, bloodied patches, war-paint, shaggy haired, or even larger bear, or smaller cub like appearances. These could all be options the same as we now acquire extra mount appearances, and would all function just the same as mounts now do.

As an aside, regarding bears going at the same speeds as horses, here's information I found from a professional zoologist:

The slowest of bears can run at about 30 mph (about 50 km/h) (Usain Bolt topped out at 27 mph). Brown bears and Black bears can run approximately 40 mph (65 km/h), which is also the speed that race horses can run (40 mph, though the average is closer to 35 mph. Therefore apparently real-world bears can in fact keep pace with even fast horses. Who knows about Middle-earth fantastical bears.

As for endurance, the zoologist wrote that bears can run top speed for about 15 minutes. Scientists in Yellowstone have on multiple occasions clocked Grizzlies at 25-28 mph going at a relatively leisurely rolling lope - not an all out run, maintaining that easily over 2 miles, which is a little over 4.5 min. Meanwhile most horses will feel fatigued after running 35 mph for only 4.2 min. A horse can trot (10 mph) for about 15 min, or can canter (15 mph) for about 20 min. So apparently bears can not only run the speed of fast horses, but can also match horses for endurance at speed. Sounds nutty, but this was what the zoologist and scientists at Yellowstone said.

Because seeing is believing, (and because it's really cool to see) here are some videos of bears running:

A grizzly bear going for a long, fast run - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zptCXYxces

Another grizzly zooming along beside a car - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywe60Nk_dEk

Chasing a deer (sorry deer!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqGiLMpZdBw

Anyways, I really hope the devs like this idea and implement it. It would be really nice to finally get to roam about as a bear on my Beorning.
    Last edited by maradakia; Oct 13 2018 at 09:14 PM.
    History became legend, and legend became myth, and some things that should not have been forgotten were lost...