We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I'm starting to think this game is mining Bitcoin.

Why else would my CPU be raging at 40% out of action and away from other players (all the time)? The funniest part is the fact the CPU spikes whenever I'm doing nothing and stationary (something I've noticed for a few years now). Sorry to be a conspiracy theorist but this company's (and its predecessor's) recent history doesn't do a lot to quell my suspicions. Also makes me wonder about the gold sellers and who they really are and why there's no genuine effort to get rid of them,
    Team Milt.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRabbitfoot View Post
    Why else would my CPU be raging at 40% out of action and away from other players (all the time)? The funniest part is the fact the CPU spikes whenever I'm doing nothing and stationary (something I've noticed for a few years now).
    This CPU behaviour is something I have observed as well.
    I am, however, no expert on Bitcoin mining techniques.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- JRRT
    Elquasso - HNT | Haduthir - WDN | Hendunaron - LM | Laurealasso - GRD | Rilmien - MNS | Malenthir - HNT | Galuon - RK | Iarlnir - CHM | Mercanon - HNT
    Council of Elder Lords on GLADDEN

Why else would my CPU be raging at 40% out of action and away from other players (all the time)? The funniest part is the fact the CPU spikes whenever I'm doing nothing and stationary (something I've noticed for a few years now). Sorry to be a conspiracy theorist but this company's (and its predecessor's) recent history doesn't do a lot to quell my suspicions. Also makes me wonder about the gold sellers and who they really are and why there's no genuine effort to get rid of them,
    Or maybe SSG is a tiny team doing a hell of a lot on very modest resources, and gold spammers... are actually good at what they do, and blocking them out completely is a more intractable problem than it seems? The gold spammers came back in force with Mordor, i.e., when the game gained a modest boost out of relative obscurity. We just unfortunately have their attention now, my guess is that SSG will eventually fight them to a standstill and they'll decide it's not worth it and move on to some other more popular game. If WoW can have gold spammers, Blizzard having basically all the money in the world to fight them, then I think assuming sinister motives from SSG is a bit unfair. Not that they shouldn't be criticized or anything, but that just seems farfetched.

As for the mining bitcoin hypothesis.. I *seriously* doubt a game company with two major MMOs out like SSG would risk lawsuits or risk their relationship with Daybreak in order to inject bitcoin malware to the playerbase.

My 2c.

Turning a game's customers into bitcoin miners is not a new idea. ESEA got caught doing it five years ago:

https://www.wired.com/2013/11/e-sports/

They had 14,000 customers doing this for 2 weeks and gained 30 bitcoins or about $17,000. That's $1.21 per customer. If instead, they had sold each customer an average of 1 widget per week for $1.00, then they'd have made $28,000.

It takes a lot more processing to generate one bitcoin five years later. In fact GPUs are so much better at the job than CPUs that dedicated mining rigs are made up of GPUs. (That also drives up the cost of graphics cards since the miners will pay a premium price for them.)
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Games that were made 10-15 years ago (like Lotro, Everquest and WoW) using mostly CPU to calculate different things, including some graphics. Simply because GPU were rather weak at that time. Nowday games relay more on GPU. While Blizzards have enough resources to adjust thier games (though even they can't rewrite the engine complitly) SSG and DBG do not have such luxury.

p.s. It is also possible that your issue has nothing to do with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Turning a game's customers into bitcoin miners is not a new idea. ESEA got caught doing it five years ago:

https://www.wired.com/2013/11/e-sports/

They had 14,000 customers doing this for 2 weeks and gained 30 bitcoins or about $17,000. That's $1.21 per customer. If instead, they had sold each customer an average of 1 widget per week for $1.00, then they'd have made $28,000.

It takes a lot more processing to generate one bitcoin five years later. In fact GPUs are so much better at the job than CPUs that dedicated mining rigs are made up of GPUs. (That also drives up the cost of graphics cards since the miners will pay a premium price for them.)
    And they got hit with a $1M fine. Again, I doubt SSG would consider risking that and their relationship with their publishers to try an old scam which is not as effective today as it was then. They have lootboxes anyway, which are still legal

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    GPUs aren't able to mine bitcoin either. The difficulty of mining bitcoin surpassed the abilities of even huge GPU mining rigs long ago. Bitcoin is now --for all intents and purposes-- an all-ASIC affair. GPU-based rigs now mine alt-coins instead. . . which can then be sold for bitcoin. . . and the bitcoin can then be sold for cash.

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Why else would my CPU be raging at 40% out of action and away from other players (all the time)?
    Because you have a ###### laptop that places the CPU on a much lower Mhz to save on energy, causing it to SEEM like its eating a lot more CPU?

Perhaps check the CPU usage of your other games before you comment.... most games eat a fair bit of CPU.
    If you have a laptop with Intel Graphics in it, your CPU doubles as a GPU as well.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.