We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

"Failed saving screenshot to disk"

Every time I try taking a screenshot, I get the message "Failed saving screenshot to disk". I have plenty of space, I've tried running as administrator, reinstalled the game, yet the problem persists. This has never happened to me before, in all the years I've played LOTRO. Very strange indeed.
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    Every time I try taking a screenshot, I get the message "Failed saving screenshot to disk". I have plenty of space, I've tried running as administrator, reinstalled the game, yet the problem persists. This has never happened to me before, in all the years I've played LOTRO. Very strange indeed.
    In all the cases I've seen/read about this happening, so far, it has always been an issue with the anti-virus software. Since anti-virus companies upped security (which is a good thing) it finally even happened on my sons PC that runs AVG. You need to manually go into Your anti-virus and allow lotroclient.exe or lotroclient_awesomium.exe to be allowed to alter content, as it adds files and size of a directory it will by default be blocked to do so. Anti-virus didn't use to be so sensitive in the past but that also meant they were less safe than now. I made a reply a while back in another thread on exactly how I had to do it step by step on my sons PC. Not sure I can find that thread and reply now but I'll try. It should be a similar process for most anti-viru programs. I also remember I had to reboot the entire PC for that change of anti-virus rule to take effect and be able to take screenshots again. Just allowing the .exe file and set it as an exception would not work until a full reboot of the computer.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

I am now convinced this was the problem. I was going through this thread:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Mordor-update

Initially, I had got screenshots to work in the ProgramFiles folder, which was certainly not an acceptable solution.
    Further on in that thread, somebody made mention of an Avast update in which ransomware shield seems to cause problems. Lo and behold, my documents folder was there. After removing that from the shield, I'm able to take screenshots again
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    I am now convinced this was the problem. I was going through this thread:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Mordor-update

Initially, I had got screenshots to work in the ProgramFiles folder, which was certainly not an acceptable solution.
    Further on in that thread, somebody made mention of an Avast update in which ransomware shield seems to cause problems. Lo and behold, my documents folder was there. After removing that from the shield, I'm able to take screenshots again
    I'm glad You managed to find the soloution. Yes it's as I suspected then. All about anti-virus now being more secure to protect against hack attacks, malware, ransomware etc, so they can't just alter content and adde size to directories without permission. It's acctually a good thing. However it also brings issues like these with it. I dug up that old reply and it seems to be from the same thread You had also dug up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    I can add that this just happened on the Windows 7 PC my son uses. It has AVG anti-virus. The PC I'm using have Norton. After AVG had updated the other day he couldn't take screenshots anymore. It popped up that that lotroclient.exe tried to do an illegal action or altering content or something similar. My son told me and I clicked to allow it. He could still not take screenshots.

1. I then went into AVG.
    2. Clicked on "Hacker Attacks".
    3. Under Hacker Attacks I chose to Open "Ransomware Protection".
    4. Under Ransomware protection I clicked on "Blocked /Allowed apps".
    5. In ther list of Allowed Apps I saw that lotroclient.exe was added.
    6. I then rebooted PC and he could take screenshots again. It seems You need to reboot Your PC for AVG to acctually register an allwowed program/app.

I did a few other things, like add the LoTRO folder to an exception list and some more stuff as well but hat was before I tried restarting the PC, so I think those other things I did was unecessary. I will try when I have time to take away those other changes and see if it still works to take screenshots just to be sure none of them are needed on top of adding lotro.exe to allowed apps and restarting the PC. This was my first time fiddling around in AVG, as I myself is not familiar with it's menues and settings. In any case I got taking screenshots to work again, so it was not a LoTRO issue but a anti-virus issue. Due to all recent Ransomware attacks as well as vulnerablities in various O/S, I guess anti-virus companias have upped the security and default settings to add more protection. That is a good thing. However it can also lead to things like this, so we as users need to know a little bit more on how to tweak the anti-virus softwares to make them work the way we want with certain files/games etc.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)