We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why do you do that? How other players play and why

I am always curious if there is a better way to skin a cat (not literally... put down your pitch forks!)

Example: When I enter a new zone, I find the core items that always drop and I do not bother selling until Im at stack cap (50). Why? Just to speed up selling at the vendor.
    So is that the right answer?

Probably Not... sell all is an option... hmmm. Who uses that?

This is just one example. You could submit your preferred attack pattern... Im a hunter and love to drop a blead first.

Share, show...

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

I explore. I make every effort to circle the entire zone, area, region on it's outmost edges. Once that is done, I then return to the beginning.
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Get the character to Undying, whilst doing the story. At level 19, I get the last scraps of XP by killing bears and boars in the Bree fields by Adso/ Bill Ferny's house. But I have to get the title during the daytime! I know, it's an obsessive ritual. Also, accumulate a huge amount of junk because they're sentimental, even if the items are of no use to that character.
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    Get the character to Undying, whilst doing the story. At level 19, I get the last scraps of XP by killing bears and boars in the Bree fields by Adso/ Bill Ferny's house. But I have to get the title during the daytime! I know, it's an obsessive ritual. Also, accumulate a huge amount of junk because they're sentimental, even if the items are of no use to that character.
    I really wish I was whitty. I thought you were going to say do The Man Archet start, The Hobbit Shire start, the Elf start then the Dwarf start to get to 20. Phew!
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

I always do all the starters areas complete.
    I do all the deeds too.
    Only quest gear.
    I don't slot more than lvl 7 gear until I reach Bree.
    Sometimes I level the starter areas with a frying pan.

Why? Just because

Get the character to Undying
    I do the opposite I make sure all my characters are defeated by lvl 20 to make sure I don't get that title.

Wasn't an issue back in early LOTRO all my alts were defeated many times by then but last alt I levelled had no risk and I only remembered when the next mob kill would have taken me to 20 so I had to throw them off a high place to make sure I didn't get the title.

Back in the day when virtues made a difference, I did them now I don't.

I find task items really problematic, I just want to sell them ASAP but have taught myself to save them and AH them, as clearly some people have more money than sense.

Other than that just do the quests, with fog of war removed there's no need to actively explore, just do it whilst questing.
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

My usuall (bad) habbit is that i don't do no crafting at all. Nadda.

I start crafting at 100 only to get my LI relic and i hit my head to the wall for not starting earlier....

It has to be because i hate crafting, but still its a very bad habbit i guess. Although nowdays with the insane stat numbers we have, its not a big deal to slot that LI relic, but still...

It used to be even worse cause on my 2 mains i didnt even collected the crafting mats as i leveled up. I gave them away freely to kinnies to level their crafting LOL.

Also, everytime, i'm paying a visit to Sarnur before lvl 25 and as expected i get oneshotted. I just can't wait for the appropriate level range. I love that place and i don't know why. I'm a bit weirdo i guess...
    Thorgull lvl 105 Champion - Malendar lvl 115 Warden - Estelldion lvl 101 LoreMaster - Ballduin lvl 36 Runekeeper - Nharduil lvl 17 Minstrel All on Evernight

Malenborn - Warden & Athanandor - Hunter on Crickhollow (Casual Wanderers)

When I go into a new area, I start with the quests, stopping at big mob spawns as I come across to do the first slayer deed. Get that out of the way, but I leave some space for quest kills to count towards the advanced. Then I come back and finish the advanced when I'm done with questing and pick up the explorers last of all. Got max bags to keep all task items and mail them around to the other characters. When everyone has had their fill, then I start selling the task items. I am a major fan of task boards-a lot of times my characters are at ally before they ever set foot in a zone.

I tend to ignore the Epic and the Shire until I've got a warhorse.

Well, I ain't no expert, but if you're gonna skin a cat I wouldn't recommend using a pitchfork. A strong, sharp knife with a nice belly curve is better from what I hear. Get a nice solid table to work on, and maybe a small bucket to throw the unwanted bits in and you're off to a good start!
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I try to do every deed possible as i can, even hidden ones, also try to get decent gear to kill stuff on landscape for questing, and if i want to do raids/instances I'll work at better gear. Mostly i like exploring new areas cause the world builders do an amazing job
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server. Staff member of the Lord of the Rings Discord Server, and Owner of Middle-Earth Lore discord.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

I, by contrast, don't give a hoot about Undying; I don't use any titles at all. Which is just as well, since my first eight or ten characters died at least once before getting out of the newbie instances. I now have a few characters who haven't died, but they're all storage mules and stand around the housing instance at level 8 or so.

I collect things too, mostly mementoes of NPCs I have known and loved. Calenglad's Ring, Tadan's Remembrance, Halbarad's Trust, Weathered Mantle of the Hill-watcher. But for me, the story is the most important part of the game, and fighting is just something that you gotta do, like brushing your teeth.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by Once_of_Bree View Post
    I do the opposite I make sure all my characters are defeated by lvl 20 to make sure I don't get that title.

Wasn't an issue back in early LOTRO all my alts were defeated many times by then but last alt I levelled had no risk and I only remembered when the next mob kill would have taken me to 20 so I had to throw them off a high place to make sure I didn't get the title.
    I understand jumping off Weathertop is pretty effective in that direction.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I always travel on foot in new zones. I want to be sure I notice everything I come across. Once I've completed the zone, then I can ride around on my horse since I'm not going to miss anything new. Exception made for warsteed combat.

I only use crafted gear when I've reach the gear level in quests. Once I've finished all the level 60 quests I can find, I'm allowed to use level 60 crafted gear. Just to keep quest gear relevant and not immediately crafting gear that makes all quest gear vendor trash for the next 10 levels.

I only use skills when they're actually relevant, not pumping out a bunch of uses onto wimpy creatures just to pad my class skill deeds. I think I was level 84 when my LM finally completed his power drain class deed.

I don't use the quest tracker, unless I'm on a quest that doesn't give you the needed information to find what you're looking for, which is more and more common. I also have enemy tracking turned off on my radar. Just last night I was wandering through the camp outside Naerband and turned a corner into a group of 4 signature orcs who promptly sent me running for my life. Fun!

I never use cosmetic items. My appearance is the gear I'm using. Dyes are fine though.

I wait until the anniversary to go back to old zones to clean up slayer deeds so I can rack up a bunch of tokens while I'm at it. This year's going to be Moria.

This is an awesome thread. ;-}

I don't reckon I'm too quirky. But I do choose what quests do do on alts and what virtues to slot based on RP/in-character reasoning.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

Quote Originally Posted by MAWorking View Post
    I am always curious if there is a better way to skin a cat (not literally... put down your pitch forks!)

Example: When I enter a new zone, I find the core items that always drop and I do not bother selling until Im at stack cap (50). Why? Just to speed up selling at the vendor.
    So is that the right answer?

Probably Not... sell all is an option... hmmm. Who uses that?

This is just one example. You could submit your preferred attack pattern... Im a hunter and love to drop a blead first.

Share, show...
    I play firstly for the story, but only on my main and one other alt. I progress each new part of story in it's entirety, making sure not to miss a single quest, and then complete all deeds of an area, followed by any metas. Other alts pick and choose my favorite parts of the game, but I do try to alternate too. For example, I may take an alt through Mirkwood, and then the next alt may take the Enedwaith route instead. Usually though, they all end up circling back around over what they missed at some point.

I usually begin crafting at around level 35, so that I can get guild maxed in plenty of time before I'll need to craft relics.

I never miss Gt River on any alt, and I like to run the whole of Moria in one go.

I vendor all quite often, until a point where I make a mistake and end up selling stuff I didn't want to sell. Then I tread carefully for a month or two until I become complacent again. Rinse and repeat.

On my hunter, I prefer to pull multiple mobs, which means a bleed and a fear first, so that mob has almost bled to death by the time it shakes off the scaredy cat.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

When I come to a place I haven't seen before I always wait for daytime, and if it's bad weather I will wait until it passes, even if I can't play until the next RL day The reason is because I love exploring the beautiful world and I want to be able to see far and wide the very first time I go somewhere I don't log out while I wait either. My character will stand just outside the area until the sun rises
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

But I have to get the title during the daytime! I know, it's an obsessive ritual.
    Now, getting the Undying title is something I get. I never re-rolled a toon myself because I died, but I know people who have...... and I get it.

But..... having to get the title during DAYTIME is something I have never heard anyone say..... what is the significance of that, if I may ask?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

One thing I do do...

Every character I make HAS to be a crafter.

The result is that I have 2 fully guilded tailors, 3 fully guilded jewelers, one fully guilded of all other crafts..... and all my lower beings follow whatever random craft I pick at the time. Lots of them are explorers because of easy wood/ore gathering....

This also results in me practically never skipping a crafting node. I probably quest much slower and/or deed much slower because....ooooh a shiny wood node! *chop, chop*
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    One thing I do do...

Every character I make HAS to be a crafter.
    Not me... crafting was such an after thought. Probably picked it up somewhere around level 38-45. But!!! If i did it again, I would level up crafting as I leveled up. Just saves having to run back to the starter areas to start crafting.

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

Quote Originally Posted by MAWorking View Post
    Not me... crafting was such an after thought. Probably picked it up somewhere around level 38-45. But!!! If i did it again, I would level up crafting as I leveled up. Just saves having to run back to the starter areas to start crafting.
    My first wave of characters carefully gathered and levelled their crafts. The next wave were mostly Explorers and only gathered enough ore to keep prospecting levelled since they automatically looted enough hides for Forester and Tailor. All of them had full sets of crafted items for their next level provided by the first wave. It was fun to be in the middle of clearing an enemy camp, level up from a kill, step to the side and equip all new items, then finish off the camp a level higher with a good 5% or more improvement all around.

I've long had a habit of porting to my house first when porting from A to B, and stashing accumulated mats from humanoid kills and chests/corpses/backpacks. My third wave of new characters levelled their crafting to cap in a single evening after emptying a house chest. Make All then Alt-Tab to watch animal videos.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

I have gained a bit of reputation on my server (Gladden) for being the RP lady, lol. When I started my current character, I decided I wasn't in a hurry, so I hard-core RP with her. She walks her mount everywhere, unless she's fleeing an enemy because, irl, horses can't gallop for miles on end. I never use Quick Travel unless it's for festival. (Festival doesn't count as being real time for me) She sleeps during the Midnight and Late Night night stages, and she eats at least twice per day. All food in her bags has to be items that won't spoil; if they are, they must be eaten within two game days. If I deem the story quest she's been given is important/urgent enough for her to ride through the night to complete it, then she must rest from the Evening through the Dawn stage the next night. She NEVER rides her mount inside a building or even up to its doors; she dismounts at a logical location (near a water fountain or at a post that the horse could be tied at) and enters on foot (walking). When I entered the Mines of Moria, I left my horse at the little Elven/Dwarf outpost near the gates and walked in, because I knew I couldn't use my horse inside the mines and I wouldn't abandon it outside of the Doors of Moria by that awful lake. When I was in Lorien, I used a totally different horse, because my other horse was on the other side of the mountain, lol. Didn't use my first horse again on the Eastern side of the Misties until I could go back through the MoM, get my horse, and go through Enedwaith and Dunland to go across the Fords of Isen and come in that way. Sure, it's taken me WAY longer to lvl her than it would've, but what do you do when you get a toon to lvl? Make a new one and start all over? I'll just take my time with the one I have for now. I have to admit, I've had real fun playing this way, and will definitely do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Now, getting the Undying title is something I get. I never re-rolled a toon myself because I died, but I know people who have...... and I get it.

But..... having to get the title during DAYTIME is something I have never heard anyone say..... what is the significance of that, if I may ask?
    I think it became something of a ritual. My first character gotthe title in the bree field, then the next. It was sunny weather, and overall presents a nicer screenshot. A bit obsessive, I understand
    Last edited by Lambtron; Feb 14 2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

I'm basically new to the game. Started a few years ago, but can't remember when that was (I did get the world consolidation title & flag). I only played a couple of days and although I enjoyed it, I got caught up doing the Bingo quests I think, and all I seemed to do was run back and forth. 2nd time around was the charm for me as I really started playing about a month ago. I'm playing a main elf character, and I'm going through the quests as I come to them. Trying to do the epic books, although I have to go back and do Angmar stuff onwards from Book 1, as I just did up to where I could get past the guardians and then moved on. I get into an area, do whatever quests are there as I explore further and further into the game. I have 5 characters in total, my other 4 are set up so that they have all the crafting areas covered, and are all different classes so that when I play them I can experience the game a different way. My main is sharing all the crafting components down to them to use, except for what he needs. The alts are only level 15ish so I haven't really done anything with them yet. My main though is now 63 and in the middle of moving Mazog in the quest lines. That lower Mirkwood is really dark at night.

Sometimes I try and do all the quests to gain the faction. The character is a hunter, so I'm getting all the wayfaring skills I can as I go through, as well as making sure I hit all the stables, even if I don't quest in the area. Sometimes, I run through to each stable in the area I'm in first to get them unlocked, then go back to the first and quest through. As far as crafting, I'm keeping it up as I level through, as much as I can. I did get behind a bit, so this past weekend, I got caught up. Had to go back and get some more materials from lower zones, which I should have done earlier. Think I spent 4 hours catching up between gathering and then processing stuff. So now I'm maxed tier 2 until I think level 70 zones, so time to play and not worry about it for a while. Not going to let it get behind again, that was a long 4 hours.

Must say though that I'm having a blast playing and haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I, by contrast, don't give a hoot about Undying; I don't use any titles at all. Which is just as well, since my first eight or ten characters died at least once before getting out of the newbie instances. I now have a few characters who haven't died, but they're all storage mules and stand around the housing instance at level 8 or so.

I collect things too, mostly mementoes of NPCs I have known and loved. Calenglad's Ring, Tadan's Remembrance, Halbarad's Trust, Weathered Mantle of the Hill-watcher. But for me, the story is the most important part of the game, and fighting is just something that you gotta do, like brushing your teeth.
    I remember running through the elf starter and getting knocked off the cliff, right after getting the Wary title. Had no idea how I got it but then I tried to get out of the starter zone with that title. Nowadays its really difficult to get killed even in the exit instance. [when I introduced my friend to the game she died repeatedly inside the dwarf instance cuz I could not go in and help her. I smacked my head several times trying to think why they changed that]

The very first thing I do on all new toons is get the deed "Places of the Dwarves". Then I go do noobie deeds, like farms of the shire, or ered luin bandits, so I have a virtue at level 7. I dunno why but that has bothered me since I started playing the game. After that virtue I kinda ignore them... really.

I've been known to make a toon a yeoman and craft to 20. Its really pretty easy. It just costs a little coin. Farm some spring barley, turn that to bundles of barley then turn that into barley flour. Yum pie crusts. I think you may have to do some journeyman farming/cooking but its not that big a deal. If you just wanna do the farming for a bit put yer toon on 'farm all' and stick him in a field.

I enjoy a bit of mindless killing so deeding in the shire, ered luin or in bree land is good for me, especially in high pop zones, even better if you have enough mathom hunters armor.

Then I pick and choose the quests I wanna do. Usually, at low levels, this means the epics. i do this whether or not I have help from bigger toons, btw. No rhyme or reason.

[edit]Oh collections! Yeah I do that too, sometimes. I normally collect items given to me, made for me, since they usually end up leaving. One of my most prized possessions is a low level ring Swifty gave me. Sometimes I wish jewelry was visible... so I could get a ss of me wearing it.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

I think the main thing I literally always do while playing is having the LOTRO-wiki open in a tab. I follow the quest chains of an area on the wiki while I'm questing. That way I never miss out on any of the quests and I know how long an area will take before it's finished. When I'm done with a few quests I alt-tab and click them on the wiki-page so they change colour. This gives me a clear overview of the quests I have finished and how much I still have to do.

Another thing I do is trying to finish everything I should work on at a certain level or in a particular area in one go, crafting for example and reputation. I used to do whatever I felt like doing when I started my main, which resulted in having to return to almost all of the lower level areas because I never finished my rep, deeds and even crafting and the epic questline at some point. I also share my crafting stuff with alts so they don't need to search for everything themselves, especially critical success thingies. For instance, I'm in Evendim now with one of my alts and I'm checking every ore node I find. The stuff my char needs herself I keep (she's a jeweller), the rest I send to my weaponsmith alt. I make sure my crafting is on par with my level so when I need to switch areas I can level my crafting as well. I also keep task related stuff so I get my rep while questing (they made this a lot easier when they revamped some of the areas though, it's hard not to finish your rep before leaving, if you do all the quests that is).
    The exceptions are slayer and explorer deeds. They still don't get finished right away. I don't like killing the same creatures over and over again, unless they're class deed related or easy to find in big numbers. I do them later on when I'm super OP in those areas.

Class skill deeds is something I originally left on my main as well. Now I'm using the needed skills constantly in every fight until those deeds are finished and I can change my playstyle to something useful.

Something less useful I do is riding my warsteed EVERYWHERE. Since I got one I never rode another horse on my main character again. Even in places where it's very unhandy like cities, stairs, Minas Tirith (:')), the warsteed it is, even when I fall off of buildings, stairs, mountains, whatever (which doesn't happen too often though, I like to think I'm quite agile with it).

On my main I do collect festival steeds, even if I don't use any normal horses anymore. I just 'have them'. I almost have all of them (I missed out on 4 if I remember correctly) and keep a list in a word document.
    Tralalala!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast