We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    One of small things that ruined feel of this game. Allow low levels to ride.
    And greatly enhanced the feel of the game for others.
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

ZAM starter pack giveaway back in 2014 was one of the reasons I started playing regularly. It was my second year in the game, still on f2p account and not much of a player. The ability to ride plus XP/Slayer deed tomes encouraged me to create alts and TP runners. More toons and more content available led to subscription soon afterwards.

But I bet if you roll a new char tomorrow, you'll get on a horse and ride from level 7. If low levels riding around get to you that much, I would suggest that you're maybe too busy watching what others are doing, than enjoying the game for yourself. I just don't understand the mentality or even the notion of "what others do, affects me".

If low level riding bothered me, I'd be on foot until whatever level I deem it appropriate to ride. If the black key concept makes me unhappy, I don't participate in it. If you don't like low level riding - then don't do it, run instead.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Did anyone here ever obtain LOTRO goodies from magazines?

I also found an old article, this was an awesome giveaway:
    http://spong.com/article/24025/Get-o...loak-and-Horse
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    Did anyone here ever obtain LOTRO goodies from magazines?

I also found an old article, this was an awesome giveaway:
    http://spong.com/article/24025/Get-o...loak-and-Horse
    I was lucky enough to receive a code for a Steed of the first Marshal from the German Computer Bild Magazine (Nov 27, 2013):
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite..._First_Marshal

It was gifted to me by a wonderful member of the Twitter Lotro community who happened to live in Germany and had a couple of spare codes.

Personally, I really like the idea of little promotions happening, and that comes from a perspective of simply enjoying Lotro being showcased and attracting new players. I love this game, and I'm quite attached to it on a sentimental level. Don't get me wrong, I love frills and fluff as much as the next guy, possibly more, and I'm very happy to accept any goodies that may happen to come my way. However, if the choice is between sporting some exclusive cosmetic, or seeing new players becoming invested in the game, I'm more interested in the latter to keep the game running. Promotions and freebies offered through various gaming sites or streams give the impression of a lively community, and an effort to keep the game appealling to new audiences by trying to pique players interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyda View Post
    It was gifted to me by a wonderful member of the Twitter Lotro community who happened to live in Germany and had a couple of spare codes.
    Reckon any are left? :P

When the lowest level to ride was 35, and level cap was 50, founders were given a bree steed (now called the starter) so they could ride at level 20. I don't remember how that worked cuz you couldn't do the riding quest til level 35, iirc. This was before f2p. Then they put in a level 20 horse at the horse field and founders could ride at 5, I think. THAT was a looooooonnnnngggggg time ago. So, what do you consider a low level? I mean 35 is a fairly low level to me. Are you saying that the earliest to get a horse is the one you get from the Langhold quests?
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

hmm.

Promotions: yeah I got HD as a promotion. that would have been nice for Mordor :P

Giveaways: Yeah I hate the weekly code cuz there is never anything to get excited over. I mean its not like they give you Rep tokens or black keys or any...

wait, was black key last week? granted ranger green dye is this week.

Maybe we should ask for this thing thats like a wheel kinda like that stops on an item and you... no that wouldnt work. everyone would hate that.

What about free LP to people who subscribe to the game?

Welcome back weekends for xtra xp?
    for crafting bonuses?
    infamy/renown?

I would love if they gave away lag free weekends.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhiu View Post
    hmm.

Promotions: yeah I got HD as a promotion. that would have been nice for Mordor :P

Giveaways: Yeah I hate the weekly code cuz there is never anything to get excited over. I mean its not like they give you Rep tokens or black keys or any...

wait, was black key last week? granted ranger green dye is this week.

Maybe we should ask for this thing thats like a wheel kinda like that stops on an item and you... no that wouldnt work. everyone would hate that.

What about free LP to people who subscribe to the game?

Welcome back weekends for xtra xp?
    for crafting bonuses?
    infamy/renown?

I would love if they gave away lag free weekends.
    and again every other triple A MMO does those and more.

They also do
    • giveaways on livestreams (official)
    • giveaways before major content releases
    • giveaways on MMO sites to entice people to play (lotro did it before)
    • giveaways in game by devs to interact with the community

See this is part of basic business management 101. If you give a few something extra, more are enticed to buy.
    I saw the light fade from the sky
    On the wind I heard a sigh
    As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers
    I will say this last goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    and again every other triple A MMO does those and more.

They also do
    • giveaways on livestreams (official)
    • giveaways before major content releases
    • giveaways on MMO sites to entice people to play (lotro did it before)
    • giveaways in game by devs to interact with the community

See this is part of basic business management 101. If you give a few something extra, more are enticed to buy.
    Lotro does give out codes to their streamers. however seriously who gives a #### about MMO review sites. One of worst waste of internet bandwith.

Cordovan (and others) gives out freebies during certain streams. During the three-day Winterstock steams -about 12 hours each day- there was a giveaway just about every hour. I won 500 LP and a rare mount. That's not a regular occurrence, but I've seen that during other streams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneTripper View Post
    Cordovan (and others) gives out freebies during certain streams. During the three-day Winterstock steams -about 12 hours each day- there was a giveaway just about every hour. I won 500 LP and a rare mount. That's not a regular occurrence, but I've seen that during other streams as well.
    That's pretty cool. What mount was it, out of curiosity?
    There seemed to be more regular giveaways back in the day, particularly in conjunction with MMO sites that would have thousands of keycodes to give out (cosmetics, mounts etc).

they should be doing more of these like mentioned and even on thier live stream (the official one) be giving away stuff each week. its called an incentive. But SSG seems to be a little tighter on the wallet than Turbine was. Look at Mordor release compared to last expansions
    • No twitter trivia give aways of the expansion
    • No forum give aways of the expansion
    • no live stream give aways of the expansion
    • no beta 500-1000- 1500 - lifetime giveaways (as in all previous expansions)
    • And with that... Nothing for doing beta at all.

I just did a beta in another game, when beta ended, I got a in live game item that signified I did the beta. Nothing big (more of a cosmetic than anything) but it was something. All I get from Lotro beta is well, wasted time
    Emphasis on this. Not only wasted because you don't get any token of gratitude, but also because many of the suggestions and found bugs aren't addressed.

The single most appreciated freebee code I ever had gotten from this game was account mount and riding skill.
    Second most appreciated was one of the cosmetic wing cloaks.

But yeah, I think a nice cosmetic item might get people to come back and riding skill + mount could draw in new players and encourage them to stay.

People do read the MMO sites when looking for a new game.

Doing a big promotion during the release of the new tv series would be the bees knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    The single most appreciated freebee code I ever had gotten from this game was account mount and riding skill.
    Second most appreciated was one of the cosmetic wing cloaks.

But yeah, I think a nice cosmetic item might get people to come back and riding skill + mount could draw in new players and encourage them to stay.

People do read the MMO sites when looking for a new game.

Doing a big promotion during the release of the new tv series would be the bees knees.
    Seconded. Potentially, new players to come and see what all the fuss is about, hopefully hibernating players will return, and of course, current players would get some neat new bits and bobs

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    That's pretty cool. What mount was it, out of curiosity?
    Mine was a Perlino Steed.

Nice. Wouldn't say no to a Steed of the First Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalphor View Post
    Emphasis on this. Not only wasted because you don't get any token of gratitude, but also because many of the suggestions and found bugs aren't addressed.
    that was my point. When I come across bugs in Dunland, Rohan and Helms Deep that I reported in those betas it makes me cringe....

that was my point. When I come across bugs in Dunland, Rohan and Helms Deep that I reported in those betas it makes me cringe....
    You really need to calm down and be more like Orson Lannister.
    Kuuu Kuu Kuu!

Well, we have an Update round the corner. Perhaps we can hope for some promotions upon release?

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    You really need to calm down and be more like Orson Lannister.
    Kuuu Kuu Kuu!
    what????

So seeing old bugs that I know I reported shouldn't irk me?

No wonder this game continues when people just accept these kind of things

Sad and pathetic

Please can we keep this on topic. I'm hoping this remains in conversation to gauge if other players feel this is something that bothers them or not.

I do miss more giveaways. I don't really see that it hurts the game. There are still people frequently buying points and items. And if you can get people hooked with good giveaways many will in some form buy an expansion or two as most wont want to grind the points out in game.

Also, bring back lotteries. They were seriously fun, I know the code got fried or whatever but with income I'm sure SSG can find someone who can code a new lottery its a weak excuse tbh.

I noticed that Humble Bundle are giving away promos for various MMOs, most recently Star Trek Online. They mention they receive a commission for each promo activated, so clearly this should be an option for any game's marketing team. With gamers' attention drawn by so many things, a freebie really helps win them over.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 115 - Brandywine - An Unexpected Kinship

I got the ZAM starter pack when it launched, it's very handy when I roll a new character. In terms of cost, it costs SSG hardly anything to give away cosmetics or small items. Even a level boost doesn't really cost them anything, because it's very likely that the person that gets it wouldn't buy it anyway - and it has the benefit of attracting a user back to the game that might not have come back without it.

WoW runs free for lapsed players weekends every once in a while, and I'm sure that postively affects subscriptions for the short term at least. Hell, WoW gives away copies of old expansions when new ones hit. I got a Warlords of Draneor when I logged in for a free lapsed subscriber weekend before Legion launched, and now they added Legion to the Battlechest for $20 (which is often on sale for $5). Of course, they are one of the biggest MMOs out there, so they can do things like give away expansions to all their players, but there's no reason that SSG can't giveaway smaller items to boost their audience.

Humble Bundle reaches a huge audience these days. A give away of a free expansion, say Moria and a month of VIP in a bundle, would get quite a number of new players. Even if they bundled it into one of their for-sale bundles, and then give away a free horse or set of cosmetic armor for a lower tier - encourage people to buy the bigger tier to get the game to go with the free set of armour.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast