We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Promotions/ Giveaways

I used to look forward to the days when MMORPG.com and the like would run promotions with all sorts of LOTRO giveaways. Hauberk of the Mithril Guard (No self respecting Dwarf can be seen without one), The Riding starter packs (made a huge difference for my characters), these things used to be run quite often. But I haven't seen any of them for years. It could very well be that I'm missing them, but I find that unlikely, given that i follow the forums and several MMO sites that frequently run giveaways.
    I'm not saying SSG has to, but it certainly would be great to see the giveaways again, especially when encouraging friends to try out the game and give them freebie incentives.
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

/signed

So far only giveaway outside the game is the 500 LP one, related to the weekly LOTRO Beacon (and some ones with the LOTRO streamers).

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Quote Originally Posted by Olgomil View Post
    /signed

So far only giveaway outside the game is the 500 LP one, related to the weekly LOTRO Beacon (and some ones with the LOTRO streamers).

Sergio :-)
    Where is that one, can you provide a link please?

I would very much love to get things like that hauberk, starter packs, cloaks etc. Surely if there's enough demand, then it's a possibility?
    Check out my LOTRO videos on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRX...jPUNAiwtrJ_eiw

Quote Originally Posted by Lambtron View Post
    Where is that one, can you provide a link please?
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...72#post7812272

they should be doing more of these like mentioned and even on thier live stream (the official one) be giving away stuff each week. its called an incentive. But SSG seems to be a little tighter on the wallet than Turbine was. Look at Mordor release compared to last expansions
    • No twitter trivia give aways of the expansion
    • No forum give aways of the expansion
    • no live stream give aways of the expansion
    • no beta 500-1000- 1500 - lifetime giveaways (as in all previous expansions)
    • And with that... Nothing for doing beta at all.

I just did a beta in another game, when beta ended, I got a in live game item that signified I did the beta. Nothing big (more of a cosmetic than anything) but it was something. All I get from Lotro beta is well, wasted time
    I saw the light fade from the sky
    On the wind I heard a sigh
    As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers
    I will say this last goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    I just did a beta in another game, when beta ended, I got a in live game item that signified I did the beta. Nothing big (more of a cosmetic than anything) but it was something. All I get from Lotro beta is well, wasted time
    I hear that, but I mean general promos/ giveaways. They used to do this more frequently, and often it was exciting, and even useful stuff (riding starter pack, for example).

Having on article which focuses on a giveaway, on say, something like MassivelyOP, not only rewards an existing playerbase, but provides publicity and incentives to new players.

I'm signed up to several MMO sites that regularly send me emails with giveaways to all sorts of games, it's good publicity.

I hear that, but I mean general promos/ giveaways. They used to do this more frequently, and often it was exciting, and even useful stuff (riding starter pack, for example).

Having on article which focuses on a giveaway, on say, something like MassivelyOP, not only rewards an existing playerbase, but provides publicity and incentives to new players.

I'm signed up to several MMO sites that regularly send me emails with giveaways to all sorts of games, it's good publicity.
    Yeah I am on other MMOs that do it as well. One of them that I did not play for over 6 months emailed me randomly and gave a code for a few in game items that was like a valar to get a toon to cap. Was awesome'

Yeah I am on other MMOs that do it as well. One of them that I did not play for over 6 months emailed me randomly and gave a code for a few in game items that was like a valar to get a toon to cap. Was awesome'
    But did you play it again?

But did you play it again?
    yeah because I got that item (and a free ship (its star trek online btw)) i ended up going back, using that item oin a capped alt (cause it gave bonuses) and used the free slot and ship on a new toon that nis basically now my main. They made money from me too cause I got reinvested in the game and wanted to catch my plder alts up

yeah because I got that item (and a free ship (its star trek online btw)) i ended up going back, using that item oin a capped alt (cause it gave bonuses) and used the free slot and ship on a new toon that nis basically now my main. They made money from me too cause I got reinvested in the game and wanted to catch my plder alts up
    Exactly my point

I don't think it's a huge deal. Small promo with a site/ magazine, bums on seats. This is from all perspectives: Reward for those still playing all these years, incentive for those just starting out, and publicity and perhaps curiosity for newer folks.

All I get from Lotro beta is well, wasted time
    So don't do beta, then. Problem solved.

I did beta for Riders of Rohan and realized I hated the spoilers too much.

I suppose if they were hurting for testers, they would incentivize more. You know, supply and demand?
    His sword was long, his lance was keen, his shining helm afar was seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sito_Origami View Post
    So don't do beta, then. Problem solved.

I did beta for Riders of Rohan and realized I hated the spoilers too much.

I suppose if they were hurting for testers, they would incentivize more. You know, supply and demand?
    exactly that is why I stopped (on top of bugs I filed in isengard and Rohan still in game (like holes in floors, ect.) So to me Bullroarer is a spoiler preview and a way for the exploiters to find all the exploits before it goes live.

Getting back on topic, has SSG done any promotions/ key giveaways since they took over?
    I mean the MMO site variety. The last one I recall was the Chestnut steed/ Riding skill pack from back in 2015

I think there is a careful line between Giveaways/Promotions as Marketing vs Begging.

I get why people want them, it is why I buy a lottery ticket... an opportunity to dream about what if?

I guess what Im getting at is... do you want the giveaway item or do you think they should do it to market the game (and build costumer base)?

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

It's a good question. I would answer both Perhaps I took things for granted in years gone by when it seemed that promos were more frequent. As an example, I did manage to get some friends into the game, and it seemed to sweeten the deal for them that they had these freebies to give them a headstart, as well as some awesome looking cosmetics.

Yeah, Im more curious to the driving point...

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

Sorry mate, you've lost me there

Sorry mate, you've lost me there
    Do you want promotions because you want to win something, or do you want promotions to build new players?

Quote Originally Posted by MAWorking View Post
    I think there is a careful line between Giveaways/Promotions as Marketing vs Begging.

I get why people want them, it is why I buy a lottery ticket... an opportunity to dream about what if?

I guess what Im getting at is... do you want the giveaway item or do you think they should do it to market the game (and build costumer base)?
    Interesting question.

Market the game of course. But make a design to where the item may be wanted too. Both would be the goal?

I tend to recall some friends back in SWG days, Buying anyting new that would have a 'rare' item or only a certain way to attain. As example if you bought the full pacakge, That 'key' also includes a J-type 327 Nubian which was Queen Amidala's royal 'chrome' ship or (FLASHBACK) the dang trading card game. lol! omg! How could I forget that one. Because I didn't participate 'buying' heh. So so so so many very cool in game items but only from the trading card game. *cough lootbox cough*
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Do you want promotions because you want to win something, or do you want promotions to build new players?
    I did answer that question, both.
    Albeit, the giveaways/ promos that LOTRO used to do were keys that didn't require a raffle or some kind of 'winning'. For example, there might be 5,000 keys for a hauberk or something similar, you signed up (usually to the site in question), and you get your code. Simple.

I don't think anyone plays the game solely on the basis of getting freebies, however, it was a welcome aspect whenever Turbine used to run them.
    When I managed to convince my friends to join in the game, they were very grateful that they were able to obtain these codes (circa 2015), which greatly enhanced their experience of the game.

As I stated in the beginning of the thread, SSG doesn't have to carry out these promotions, but I'm happy to hear if you think this wouldn't be beneficial to all parties, new players, existing players, and getting old players to come back.

I think the starter packs that Turbine used to offer were great for new players. I have journeyman riding, so I get a steed right off the bat on any new characters regardless, and there would be no benefit to me from a starter pack really, but they were really valuable to new players. They enter the game, probably to try it out, and as soon as they break from the intro, they are faced with running around ME on foot. I often see the question raised in World . . . "how do I get a horse"? I know they get the whistle horse, but that is only valid for one play session as it ticks down in real time. They are then faced with the 95 LP grind or buying VIP and waiting until level 20, just to do something as basic as riding around. That's off-putting for many as it gives a sense of having to pay, to get anywhere - right from the very start. Players shouldn't be hit with that concept until the end of Lone Lands IMO, because that's when they've had a real taste of the game. By then they've tasted a Skirmish, and their first group content, and seen a good selection of content outside the starter areas. It's harder to abandon the game after that, but it's easy to walk away at level 10, because you're fed up with running around on foot.

It doesn't even have to be a giveway, they could extend the whistle horse to game time ticking, or include a horse after the intro. It's just 95 LP, which I'd bet most new players grind anyway whilst trying the game, so I doubt it would break SSG's vault if they scrapped it.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Feb 13 2018 at 01:47 AM.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

He answered both and explained why. Asking again comes across as you did not like his answer and are trying to force him to say something else just to argue.

For me, its both as well. Do I like free stuff sure, who doesn't. But ya know what I like more, meeting new people, having fun conversations and questing with people who never played.

Its like this for me... I love going to Disney World it's fun. It is ton's more fun to take someone who has never been because you get to experience it the first time again through their reactions to everything. Lotro for me is the same. People reactions the first times they do certain things are fin to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I think the starter packs that Turbine used to offer were great for new players. I have journeyman riding, so I get a steed right off the bat on any new characters regardless, and there would be no benefit to me from a starter pack really, but they were really valuable to new players. They enter the game, probably to try it out, and as soon as they break from the intro, they are faced with running around ME on foot. I often see the question raised in World . . . "how do I get a horse"? I know they get the whistle horse, but that is only valid for one play session as it ticks down in real time. They are then faced with the 95 LP grind or buying VIP and waiting until level 20, just to do something as basic as riding around. That's off-putting for many as it gives a sense of having to pay, to get anywhere - right from the very start. Players shouldn't be hit with that concept until the end of Lone Lands IMO, because that's when they've had a real taste of the game. By then they've tasted a Skirmish, and their first group content, and seen a good selection of content outside the starter areas. It's harder to abandon the game after that, but it's easy to walk away at level 10, because you're fed up with running around on foot.

It doesn't even have to be a giveway, they could extend the whistle horse to game time ticking, or include a horse after the intro. It's just 95 LP, which I'd bet most new players grind anyway whilst trying the game, so I doubt it would break SSG's vault if they scrapped it.
    What is this common sense marketing strategy.... kill it..... kill it with fire..... common sense scares people lol

Seriously though when I say I get upset over poor choices that is one of the major ones right there. When I joined Lotro, I joined with 5 friends from another game we got hit with that pay wall right after the intro, 2 of them left. 3 stayed for a while than the eventual pay for every area got to them especially when they could go play other mmos like one that rhymes with lift totally free

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post

I totally agree, Arnenna. And not only for new players. I got the starter pack on a forum when I'd been playing for about two years. Because I have it, I've created more characters than I would otherwise. I love leaving the intro and bam! I've got the riding skill and a horse (and a bunch of account wide horses to choose from). It makes things so much more easy and pleasant. It creates momentum.

One of small things that ruined feel of this game. Allow low levels to ride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast