We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Level range in Northern Mirkwood?

What will it be? 65-70 so it follows from Southern Mirkwood? Or 115? I think it will be 115. More moneyz that way probably. Although I would love to see a new lower level region!
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    What will it be? 65-70 so it follows from Southern Mirkwood? Or 115? I think it will be 115. More moneyz that way probably. Although I would love to see a new lower level region!
    115 I'm sure, since it will be a continuation of the Black Book of Mordor I think. I'm actually only expecting a tiny piece of N. Mirkwood, just enough to include Thranduil's halls near the eastern borders of the forest, since it will probably be just one region that also includes the lake, Esgaroth, Dale and Erebor. I'll be surprised if it's a full region for Mirkwood, and another for the rest.
    Goreamir - 115 Captain | Celebourne - 95 Champion | Jinwe - 91 Hunter | Humblefoot - 77 Minstrel | Dorfus - 77 Guardian | Creonath - 58 Warden | Whippit - 40 Burglar | Stormcraban - 38 Loremaster | Thangadir - 37 Runekeeper | Jonly - 32 Beornng | Zongrul - 41 Bank

I sure hope it's low level. Don't mind what they do with Erebor or Dale. No radiance in Mirkwood please

It will be 115 only.

Typically, they have always released a "off expansion" update that is geared towards the current TOP level in the spring after a expansion release, such as Great River for level 75, Wildermore for level 85, Fangorn for level 95.... They changed a little bit with Gondor, having so many level 100 zones.... but then picked up again with a level 100-105 zone, followed by some level 105-only zones.

Northern Mirkwood will be 115 only. It's not clear yet whether you can walk into the zone from existing Mirkwood via a normal land connection. Since access to current Southern Mirkwood is gated by a quest system and not everyone has Mirkwood.... there is likely going to be some form of direct port-in to the zone so that Valar users who didn't do any Mirkwood may get access.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I have little doubt it will be lvl 115 with Black Book continuation.

As for South/North Mirk passage, we'll probably get a port like in other places (still wish we could somehow cross directly from Dead Marshes towards Mordor).

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    It will be 115 only.

Typically, they have always released a "off expansion" update that is geared towards the current TOP level in the spring after a expansion release, such as Great River for level 75, Wildermore for level 85, Fangorn for level 95.... They changed a little bit with Gondor, having so many level 100 zones.... but then picked up again with a level 100-105 zone, followed by some level 105-only zones.

Northern Mirkwood will be 115 only. It's not clear yet whether you can walk into the zone from existing Mirkwood via a normal land connection. Since access to current Southern Mirkwood is gated by a quest system and not everyone has Mirkwood.... there is likely going to be some form of direct port-in to the zone so that Valar users who didn't do any Mirkwood may get access.
    Yes- I doubt though that there will be points of contact between North and South Mirkwood because there's such a huge "Central Mirkwood-sized" area in between. They'd have to have it weave down in a straight-line like a snake in order for that to work. I agree- they'd need other means of getting there because of the epic-gating on South Mirkwood.

I've noticed something though- around the Beorning's starter-area. In the Vales of the Anduin, and this was on my level 105 Beorning who ported back there, the terrain to the east of Grimbeorn's Lodge has changed. I seem to recall the Team saying somewhere on BR that they moved the Vales of the Anduin's coordinate location as well.

I've noticed the following things in the Anduin Vales:

1. The Mirkwood trees are up on cliffs.
    2. The forest atop the cliffs is far more filled-out with shrub and other tree-types.
    3. If I turn off distant imposters and lower all object-draw's, I can see a -gap- in the hills and cliffs to the slight northeast of the Vales of the Anduin (which, in this scaled-down game-world, could well be the opening for the "Elf Path" that crosses the Enchanted Stream and makes its way to Thranduil's Halls).

These details are easier to see when toying with the graphics -outside- of Grimbeorn's property (which has all those "border trees" in the way of the view). I haven't seen much changes in the Carrock direction- though there's some updates in the surrounding hills.

So, I see two possible conclusions-

1. They might've just moved the Vales in the event that, what if, someday in the future, they extended the zone to connect with the Vales.

OR

2. They might actually be planning for North Mirkwood to be a bit bigger than we think, maybe using the Forest River and Fangorn-style "Tree-walls" and the Mountains of Mirkwood as "borders," in order to connect the Vales of the Anduin to Mirkwood all the way through to Erebor via landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    115 I'm sure, since it will be a continuation of the Black Book of Mordor I think. I'm actually only expecting a tiny piece of N. Mirkwood, just enough to include Thranduil's halls near the eastern borders of the forest, since it will probably be just one region that also includes the lake, Esgaroth, Dale and Erebor. I'll be surprised if it's a full region for Mirkwood, and another for the rest.
    I'd say its a 50/50 chance. Could go either way. I'm hesitant to go with the theory that it'll only include North Mirkwood up to Thranduil's Halls mainly because they've said that, while it won't be "as big as Mordor," they've also said, "but still big." That tells me that we'll be getting more than a hedge of forest next to the Long Lake. I mean, if that's the plan, why not call it, "Northeastern Mirkwood," or "The Dale-Lands," or just plain call the zone, "East Wilderland"? It would feel odd for a zone called "North Mirkwood" to have naught but a tiny chunk that actually fits its name. I'd be SHOCKED if that's the result- lol.

Let's also not forget- that under SSG's auspices, you could fit Rohan into Gorgoroth, counting the mountains of course, and March of the King was fairly large as well. Even though the Wastes was kind of small, they did build-out / reconstructed much of the Dead Marshes and the Emyn Muil terrain for a distant view. So, yes, you may well be right, and they'll pull a "The Wastes" when it comes to zone-size. I think its equally possible, though, that they just might pull a "Far Anorien" or "March of the King" as well- both of which are fairly huge.

They'd still need some form of a port or swift travel, though, regardless of the zone-size, because the Vales of the Anduin themselves have yet to be linked to the current Misties zone on the Eriador-side of things (and that's something I'm doubting would happen in the update).
    Last edited by Phantion; Jan 11 2018 at 10:56 PM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

I'm pretty sure it will be lvl 115.
    Also hoping for a passage from Southern Mirkwood!
    This should be quite a big update, looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pieck View Post
    I'm pretty sure it will be lvl 115.
    Also hoping for a passage from Southern Mirkwood!
    This should be quite a big update, looking forward to it!
    No. I'd rather there was a new approach, either north from Dagorlad and then into N.Mirkwood from the east, or (my own preference) a new route over the Misty Mountains & the High Pass down towards the Old Ford & the Carrock and into Mirkwood from the West. That will allow us then to travel from Eriador into Rhovanion with no map breaks, opening up Gladden Fields and the road south to Lothlorien, so joining up Eriador & Rhovanion.

But of course SSG won't do that. We'll get entry to Northern Mirkwood via the Scuttledells or other stupid route.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    Yes- I doubt though that there will be points of contact between North and South Mirkwood because there's such a huge "Central Mirkwood-sized" area in between. They'd have to have it weave down in a straight-line like a snake in order for that to work. I agree- they'd need other means of getting there because of the epic-gating on South Mirkwood.

I've noticed something though- around the Beorning's starter-area. In the Vales of the Anduin, and this was on my level 105 Beorning who ported back there, the terrain to the east of Grimbeorn's Lodge has changed. I seem to recall the Team saying somewhere on BR that they moved the Vales of the Anduin's coordinate location as well.

I've noticed the following things in the Anduin Vales:

1. The Mirkwood trees are up on cliffs.
    2. The forest atop the cliffs is far more filled-out with shrub and other tree-types.
    3. If I turn off distant imposters and lower all object-draw's, I can see a -gap- in the hills and cliffs to the slight northeast of the Vales of the Anduin (which, in this scaled-down game-world, could well be the opening for the "Elf Path" that crosses the Enchanted Stream and makes its way to Thranduil's Halls).

These details are easier to see when toying with the graphics -outside- of Grimbeorn's property (which has all those "border trees" in the way of the view). I haven't seen much changes in the Carrock direction- though there's some updates in the surrounding hills.

So, I see two possible conclusions-

1. They might've just moved the Vales in the event that, what if, someday in the future, they extended the zone to connect with the Vales.

OR

2. They might actually be planning for North Mirkwood to be a bit bigger than we think, maybe using the Forest River and Fangorn-style "Tree-walls" and the Mountains of Mirkwood as "borders," in order to connect the Vales of the Anduin to Mirkwood all the way through to Erebor via landscape.

I'd say its a 50/50 chance. Could go either way. I'm hesitant to go with the theory that it'll only include North Mirkwood up to Thranduil's Halls mainly because they've said that, while it won't be "as big as Mordor," they've also said, "but still big." That tells me that we'll be getting more than a hedge of forest next to the Long Lake. I mean, if that's the plan, why not call it, "Northeastern Mirkwood," or "The Dale-Lands," or just plain call the zone, "East Wilderland"? It would feel odd for a zone called "North Mirkwood" to have naught but a tiny chunk that actually fits its name. I'd be SHOCKED if that's the result- lol.

Let's also not forget- that under SSG's auspices, you could fit Rohan into Gorgoroth, counting the mountains of course, and March of the King was fairly large as well. Even though the Wastes was kind of small, they did build-out / reconstructed much of the Dead Marshes and the Emyn Muil terrain for a distant view. So, yes, you may well be right, and they'll pull a "The Wastes" when it comes to zone-size. I think its equally possible, though, that they just might pull a "Far Anorien" or "March of the King" as well- both of which are fairly huge.

They'd still need some form of a port or swift travel, though, regardless of the zone-size, because the Vales of the Anduin themselves have yet to be linked to the current Misties zone on the Eriador-side of things (and that's something I'm doubting would happen in the update).
    I'm sure there will be a decent piece of Mirkwood in the region, but I can't see it being a chunk of it the size of Southern Mirkwood, or even close to it, considering everything else that's going to be in this one region. No way it's going to reach the western border of the forest to connect to the Anduin or Gladden, The Misties, etc. somewhere, at least that's my opinion. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd gladly eat that crow whenever more is included than I expect.
    Goreamir - 115 Captain | Celebourne - 95 Champion | Jinwe - 91 Hunter | Humblefoot - 77 Minstrel | Dorfus - 77 Guardian | Creonath - 58 Warden | Whippit - 40 Burglar | Stormcraban - 38 Loremaster | Thangadir - 37 Runekeeper | Jonly - 32 Beornng | Zongrul - 41 Bank

I'm hoping it will be 105-115 and be an alternative to leveling through Mordor.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 105 Captain, Nunion 110 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

All I want to know is:
    Will we be able to go for a ride in the Brown Wizard's Bunny Sleigh?

Last edited by Milii; Jan 13 2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    No. I'd rather there was a new approach, either north from Dagorlad and then into N.Mirkwood from the east, or (my own preference) a new route over the Misty Mountains & the High Pass down towards the Old Ford & the Carrock and into Mirkwood from the West. That will allow us then to travel from Eriador into Rhovanion with no map breaks, opening up Gladden Fields and the road south to Lothlorien, so joining up Eriador & Rhovanion.

But of course SSG won't do that. We'll get entry to Northern Mirkwood via the Scuttledells or other stupid route.
    It's not possible to connect Eriador and Rhovanion without a loading screen. They are not on the same coordinate grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    They'd have to have it weave down in a straight-line like a snake in order for that to work.
    We have seen this already in lotro in East Gondor quest pack. So let's not act like it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    We have seen this already in lotro in East Gondor quest pack. So let's not act like it can't be done.
    Oh I agree! There's a similar discussion on the BR forums, where I mentioned East Gondor and Far Anorien as precedents for how this zone could work- my apologies, I didn't mean to sound like "it can't be done," its just... that it's more of a question of... how -much- of that north-south journey they would be able to do- that's where my doubts are mainly... Because, in comparative distances, it's not like between Pelargir and Osgiliath as much as it is.... The distance between Dol Amroth and Osgiliath- or between Rivendell and Isengard. Those... are more in line with the distance between Erebor and Dol Guldor- leagues on leagues on leagues of forest in between. But I'll give them this- they did change the arrangement of Southern Mirkwood. They placed Dol Guldor further to the east and thereby eliminated miles of potential forest to the east of DG. So, its just as possible that they could do something similar on a north - south direction, and then... they'd be able to pull it off like East Gondor.

I'd LOVE it if we could ride from Dol Guldor to Erebor!!! Maybe... through East Gondor's zone-method but on the scope and scale of Far Anorien (since Far Anorien... well, it took us from not far north of MT's Rammas Wall (Grey Wood) as well as from Cair Andros' immediate west- all the way up to Amon Hen and all the way to the Eastfold)?

I could certainly see that sort of thing working

Thank you for posting that map- because that's -exactly- how I'd expect them to weave the zone from Erebor to Grimbeorn's Lodge if they did do that as well.

It also helps that they've already made Erebor's terrain and such in the raid's and, per terrainmap-plugin, have a "Rhovanion World" copy of those raid and instance areas in a lob of Erebor landmass including Dale in Rhovanion's northeast coordinates. So they do have some stuff to work-off of- kind of like how March of the King, another huge zone in its own right, they already had the after-battle MT, Pelennor, and Osgiliath areas somewhat-prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    I'm sure there will be a decent piece of Mirkwood in the region, but I can't see it being a chunk of it the size of Southern Mirkwood, or even close to it, considering everything else that's going to be in this one region. No way it's going to reach the western border of the forest to connect to the Anduin or Gladden, The Misties, etc. somewhere, at least that's my opinion. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd gladly eat that crow whenever more is included than I expect.
    Well sure, yes- I respect where you're coming from too It all depends on how they design it. You're right- if they don't snake it off westward East-Gondor-style, it definitely won't reach the river.

Ah, so much of these speculations... depend on the zone's final shape as well as size or scope. We'll have to wait and see- I'm really looking forward to BR and testing.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBasilisk View Post
    It's not possible to connect Eriador and Rhovanion without a loading screen. They are not on the same coordinate grid.
    That's a shame, because the game could do with having a single contiguous map covering Eriador, Rhovanion and Mordor.