We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

DirectX 12 Installed But Game Isn't Recognizing It

Yesterday I had to reformat my husband's computer and reinstall Windows 10. It automatically installed DirectX 12, but when he runs the game it says that the game has to shut down because we need DirectX 9 or higher. I downloaded and reinstalled DirectX from their website, but no joy there. I remember having this problem a while ago on my computer but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by genseerian View Post
    Yesterday I had to reformat my husband's computer and reinstall Windows 10. It automatically installed DirectX 12, but when he runs the game it says that the game has to shut down because we need DirectX 9 or higher. I downloaded and reinstalled DirectX from their website, but no joy there. I remember having this problem a while ago on my computer but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!
    You need the dx9 2008 or 2010 installer, and probably a few other things as well; do a search for Hurins* thread about installing LOTRO on Win10 computers.

*(Hurin, sponsored by Intel)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    You need the dx9 2008 or 2010 installer, and probably a few other things as well; do a search for Hurins* thread about installing LOTRO on Win10 computers.

*(Hurin, sponsored by Intel)
    Not sure if it was in the thread you mentioned, but I did find a solution. I went here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109 - to download an older version of DirectX that apparently has everything a person needs for the game to run properly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Not sure if it was in the thread you mentioned, but I did find a solution. I went here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109 - to download an older version of DirectX that apparently has everything a person needs for the game to run properly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    Just for future reference. . .

The thread he mentioned is actually for fresh installs and covers more than you'd need (but does indeed cover the fix for your issue). It's here.

But the specific issue you had is addressed in this dedicated post/thread here.

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Just for future reference. . .

The thread he mentioned is actually for fresh installs and covers more than you'd need (but does indeed cover the fix for your issue). It's here.

But the specific issue you had is addressed in this dedicated post/thread here.

--H
    Thanks!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Windows 10 doesn't officially support DirectX 9 anymore so you have to install the web version.

Thanks!
    Nice to see you already got the help you need.

To follow it up and add on top of this, LOTRO doesn't use DirectX 12 because it isnt configured for it. LOTRO was developed in 2007 so it primarily leans on DX9.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Windows 10 doesn't officially support DirectX 9 anymore so you have to install the web version.
    Win10 never supported dx9; dx12 was supposed to be compatible with all dx9,10 and 11 files, but isnt.

M$ go out of their way to make it difficult to get anything other than dx12 as well; searching for dx9 on the update site will only return dx12 installs, even if your system in Win7, which cannot use dx12!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Win10 never supported dx9; dx12 was supposed to be compatible with all dx9,10 and 11 files, but isnt.

M$ go out of their way to make it difficult to get anything other than dx12 as well; searching for dx9 on the update site will only return dx12 installs, even if your system in Win7, which cannot use dx12!!
    I think that your grudges and rancor against certain companies ("M$") has you interpreting the facts a bit incorrectly. . .

A clean/pristine of Windows 10 does include dx9, 10, 11 DLLs. As well as D3D9on12.DLL.

LotRO doesn't fail to run appropriately on Windows 10 because Windows 10 is lacking DirectX 9 compatibility overall but rather because a couple of very particular DirectX extensions aren't included by default in Windows 10 (and perhaps every other edition of modern/supported Windows) and LotRO fails to install those extensions as it should.

As documented here, all that's needed for Windows 10 to run LotRO fine in DX9, DX10, or DX11 mode are two or three DX extension files. The recommended way of obtaining which is installing the runtimes.

One suspects that games that don't depend upon such extensions will run fine in DX9 mode on Windows 10. And those which do depend upon them should be installing them appropriately on every edition of Windows (not just Windows 10). But, alas, the LotRO installer fails to do so.

Put another way, it's more a problem with LotRO's installer than with Windows.

--H

P.S. I suppose this post will be seen as "sponsored by M$"
    Last edited by Hurin; Jan 10 2018 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    I think that your grudges and rancor against certain companies ("M$") has you interpreting the facts a bit incorrectly. . .

A clean/pristine of Windows 10 does include dx9, 10, 11 DLLs. As well as D3D9on12.DLL.

LotRO doesn't fail to run appropriately on Windows 10 because Windows 10 is lacking DirectX 9 compatibility overall but rather because a couple of very particular DirectX extensions aren't included by default in Windows 10 (and perhaps every other edition of modern/supported Windows) and LotRO fails to install those extensions as it should.

As documented here, all that's needed for Windows 10 to run LotRO fine in DX9, DX10, or DX11 mode are two or three DX extension files. The recommended way of obtaining which is installing the runtimes.

One suspects that games that don't depend upon such extensions will run fine in DX9 mode on Windows 10. And those which do depend upon them should be installing them appropriately on every edition of Windows (not just Windows 10). But, alas, the LotRO installer fails to do so.

Put another way, it's more a problem with LotRO's installer than with Windows.

--H

P.S. I suppose this post will be seen as "sponsored by M$"
    MY apologies, I got the "DX12 only" from another LOTRO thread some time back, when people first started having issues running LOTRO on Win10. I still dont know a single person using it, so never had the chance to have a peek at the dx set-up.

(2 elderly couples I know had it forced on them, and in both cases it trashed their equally elderly systems, so I recovered their Win7 set ups and installed Never10 for them).

still having problems

At the behest of this and other threads, I have downloaded the dx9 runtime and installed it, and checked my sysWOW files for these extensions, and have found them where they belong, but I am still having problems with my game crashing and getting the same dialog boxes about needing dx9 or higher. I also get it when I try to make ANY alterations to my graphics settings in game, even when I tell it to set it to the optimum settings for my computer. Immediate crash. I'm running a newly installed, fully updated W10 with newly installed LOTRO high res client. Does anybody have any other thoughts about this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by pud999 View Post
    At the behest of this and other threads, I have downloaded the dx9 runtime and installed it, and checked my sysWOW files for these extensions, and have found them where they belong, but I am still having problems with my game crashing and getting the same dialog boxes about needing dx9 or higher. I also get it when I try to make ANY alterations to my graphics settings in game, even when I tell it to set it to the optimum settings for my computer. Immediate crash. I'm running a newly installed, fully updated W10 with newly installed LOTRO high res client. Does anybody have any other thoughts about this problem?
    Sounds like you have an nvidia gpu, are running in DX9 mode, and should try this.