We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks, Hurin. This also worked for me. Don't believe it's related to Nvidia though. Using AMD Radeon HD 8330.

Quote Originally Posted by noillirt View Post
    Thanks, Hurin. This also worked for me. Don't believe it's related to Nvidia though. Using AMD Radeon HD 8330.
    This being the second report of an AMD user having this issue and the solution helping, I have made a note in the OP.

Thanks for the info!

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    This being the second report of an AMD user having this issue and the solution helping, I have made a note in the OP.

Thanks for the info!

--H
    One brand new high end, and one fairly old poverty spec. Could it be the new driver package?? I have told you about the screen blanking issues I have been having with the AMD driver releases over the last 9 months (which I have reduced the severity* of by switching from DP to HDMI port); and AMD have previously admitted to dx9 issues with the new driver series. Perhaps they havent fixed all of them yet.

If they can, I would suggest both people try to find an older driver package from last summer, and see if that helps, although the new high end card may not work with the older driver, the old card would be fine.

* Only getting one repetition now.

Was having the exact problem described in the OP. Tried reinstalling DirectX, updating Nvidia driver. No joy.

Found thread. Made change to UserPreferences.ini as described in the OP. Errors gone. Problem solved.

Kudos to you Hurin.
    Thiranigor (CPT) - Alyshia (CHN) - Thangoril (RK) - Menthol (GRD) - Eccentrica (MIN) - Ederoth (HNT)
    Gladden - Shadows of Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by Thiranigor View Post
    Kudos to you Hurin.
    These posts warm my little heart.

I was having the same issue with a brand new computer that has Direct X 12 installed and a NVidia GFX 1070 graphics card. I could load the game but it came up with low end graphics and when I went to customize it in the options panel it crashed giving me the same errors. It also wouldn't let me change from Direct X 9 to 12. I changed the user.ini file as indicated and I am now in the game with better graphics but still can't tell it to change to the Direct X or 12. Any other suggestions? and thanks for all the information above!

Quote Originally Posted by Vangrest View Post
    It also wouldn't let me change from Direct X 9 to 12.
    Lotro doesn't have a DX12 option. Highest it uses is DX11. So you can only ever pick 9, 10 or 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Lotro doesn't have a DX12 option. Highest it uses is DX11. So you can only ever pick 9, 10 or 11.

Ah thanks, I was not aware of that. So I should probably download 11 and go with it then or could just leave it at 9 since everything seems to be working at the moment. Thanks!

Hello guys,

having quite a few problems with this myself. I have already looked at and tried all the workarounds I could find, but now I am just out of ideas. I am not completely iliterate concerning computers, but not far from it either. But lets start at the beginning.

1. I had to install Win10 new, because one day my notebook decided to just not start at all. Before that I ran LotRO on this same machine, with the same settings for months. Then when I tried to start the game, after logging on the server in the launcher, the game window wouldn't pop up. Just nothing happened. I used the workaround where you rename your Userpreferences.ini and reset the graphics in the launcher, which did start the game. But as soon as I tried to log into my char or change the graphics settings the game crashed with the well known [105] and [128] Error. Next I tried the here mentioned fix modifiying the Userpreferences.ini, completely deleting and reinstalling DirectX (tried both, just the 9c or via full web installer), Visual C++, Framework and the AIO-Installer, but the game would just not start or again crash when changing the graphics.
    Then I deleted my Nvidia graphics driver and installed the new one, midinstall startet LotRO just for the fun (I had tried it more than a dozen times and was getting frustrated) and suddenly it worked. I was able to go all the way and play without worry, thinking this would have done the trick - although wondering because the install wasn't even finished.
    The next day the exact same error happened, but now I couldn't even get into the character screen using the renaming/repairing fix, it always aborted after the launcher. I repeated all of the above without solution. Now I was finally ready to reinstall the game (because apparently for some guys this worked), without any changes. Out of pure desperation I clicked 'Yes' one the question if I wanted to start the game in DX10 (till this point I always said No, because I read that that was the way to go) and everything worked like a charm again. I though my worries were finally over.
    Later that day I tried to log in again, aaaand it was like before. I tried to rename the Userpreferences.ini again so the game would ask me about DX, but this time it only asked about DX11 and although confirming, again the game screen did not open. Redid most of the steps without improvement.

2. Today my screen went suddenly black browsing the net. I used the hotkeys for sleeping mode and woke him up again, and again the screen worked, but only in a weird resolution. So I opened the device manager and both my graphiccards (Intel(R) HD Graphics and Nvidia Geforce GT 540M; I am still not sure what the Intel really is, I though this one is the onboard) apparently had a failure, so now I am running on the most basic onbord I guess (Microsoft Basic Display Driver). Additionally, while both still worked I always had a hidden icon on the bottom right of the taskbar saying "Nvidia Geforce GT 540M (inactive)" but did not pay that any mind because in the devicemanager did not show it as deactivated or inactive or something like that and everything was working fine. Both seem active but when they are the Intel seems the dominant one, when I only deactivate the Geforce nothing changes, when I only deactivate the Intel the screen changes to what seems to be the MBDD. Does that mean the Geforce is never used (broken/ignored) or is the Intel feeding off of it?
    I am not sure if those things are connected, but I get the impression that something is going on. And that as if the first, gamerelated problem is not ridiculous and puzzling enough.

First, thanks for reading this monstrosity, I hope my problem comes across, secondly, thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrian View Post
    First, thanks for reading this monstrosity, I hope my problem comes across, secondly, thanks for any advice you guys can give me.
    What's the make and model of this system?

It (pretty) clearly has both a CPU-integrated gpu and the discrete nvidia gpu. . . and some manufacturer's provide a utility for switching between the two. The thinking being that you'll want to use Intel for low-peformance tasks (not gaming) when battery life is a concern. . . and nvidia when you don't care about power usage and just want raw gpu power.

I'd look into re-installing the motherboard chipset drivers, then the proper intel gpu driver, then the nvidia gpu driver, both direct from intel and nvidia (rather than from laptop manufacturer). Then I'd look into installing/updating whatever switching/management software the laptop uses to jump between using the two (if any). Finally, I'd delete the UserPreferences.ini file (after doing all of the above) before trying LotRO.

There may also be a setting in the laptop's bios/UEFI that will allow you to fully disable the Intel gpu. If that's an option, I'd try it.

I might be able to be more specific (which driver exactly, which application exactly) if the make and model of the system are provided.

--H

Thank you so much for this! I just updated my computer (Windows 10, hp laptop) and I was running into some errors... going to try this and will report back with an edit!

EDIT: IT WORKED!!!! You rock Hurin!
    Death's Bane : Arkenstone
    Meneldor Native

Quote Originally Posted by Rimenuir View Post
    Thank you so much for this! I just updated my computer (Windows 10, hp laptop) and I was running into some errors... going to try this and will report back with an edit!

EDIT: IT WORKED!!!! You rock Hurin!
    Well it worked but now I cannot alt tab at all.... like physically cannot get the game to minimize.
    Meneldor Native

Well it worked but now I cannot alt tab at all.... like physically cannot get the game to minimize.
    While in fullscreen mode?

I think that's expected behavior (or at least, long-established behavior).

Try Alt-Enter to move into windowed mode. Then you can alt-tab normally. Then Alt-Enter again to return to fullscreen.

A bit clunkier. . . but to my mind, not too bad.

--H

While in fullscreen mode?

I think that's expected behavior (or at least, long-established behavior).

Try Alt-Enter to move into windowed mode. Then you can alt-tab normally. Then Alt-Enter again to return to fullscreen.

A bit clunkier. . . but to my mind, not too bad.

--H
    Oh ok!
    I was scared I was gonna have to redownload LotRO. Now if only I can get around the threatening to crash when in the character selection screen...
    Meneldor Native

threatening to crash...
    I don't know what this means.

I don't know what this means.

Keep getting an error that says the game has stopped working it, and then it starts back up again.
    Meneldor Native

Keep getting an error that says the game has stopped working it, and then it starts back up again.
    Yikes. I can imagine (and think I've seen) that happening if you're clicking around while the game is loading. Does it happen if you just passively sit there while the game does its thing?

Are you running the game from an HDD (hard disk drive) or an SSD?

Yikes. I can imagine (and think I've seen) that happening if you're clicking around while the game is loading. Does it happen if you just passively sit there while the game does its thing?

Are you running the game from an HDD (hard disk drive) or an SSD?
    Running SSD, but I think its because I'm clicking around as the games loading.
    Meneldor Native

Running SSD, but I think its because I'm clicking around as the games loading.
    Yes, I've seen this happen if the game looses focus (in my case by clicking on second monitor) when swapping characters or logging out.

Comes up often enough to deserve a bump to first page.

Just another happy player thanks to your fix. Thanks, Hurin!

thanks Hurin ,

what worked for me was to reinstall game after uninstalling it totally and deleting all files from it , and i had to change my graphics in the userpreference also, but i finally got back up .

SYMPTOM
    While adjusting video settings, or multi-tasking by alt-tabbing to other applications, LotRO crashes, generating "Game Error [105]" and/or "Game Error [128]" and then the "lotroclient has stopped working" error.

CAUSE
    From a user perspective, it's always difficult to determine actual root cause. However, it seems that the catalyst for this issue is the latest "Windows Fall Creator's Update" combined with nvidia gpus (note: There are occasional reports from AMD users as well), and using DirectX 9 as the in-game selected "Graphics Hardware Level." Those using DirectX 10/11 in LotRO seem to be unaffected.

SOLUTION / WORK-AROUND
    On your computer. . .

• In your Documents folder, find the "The Lord of the Rings Online" directory.
    • In that directory, open the "Userpreferences.ini" file in notepad (or any text editor).
    • Locate "AllowFakeFullscreen" and make sure it is set to "True".
    • Locate "ForceFakeFullscreen" and change it to "True" (it is set to "False" by default).

. . . with that in place, saved, and the LotRO client launched anew, you should be able to alt-tab, switch between fulscreen and windowed mode, change video settings, and otherwise do everything normally. Note: This is a different setting than "screen mode" that is presented in the Video Options in-game. And "ForceFakeFullscreen=True" in your UserPreferences.ini will fix the errors specified in this thread for all "screen modes" including "Fullscreen (windowed)".

Best Regards,

Hurin
    Bonjour! J'ai essayé d'appliquer cette méthode maisdans le fichier de texte je n'ai pas la rubrique display avec toutes les lignes dessous à modifier... Comment faire? Merci d'avance!

Quote Originally Posted by freedaemons View Post
    Hurin, you're a saint, you should be on SSG's payroll mate.
    I agree! Thanks a bunch
    Koriian 87 Hunter Leader, Noble Savages

I hate to bump a few-month old thread, but this account sat unused for a while and I can't post a new topic.

But this is similar to the above, so if anyone can help...

Getting the dreaded error 122 when launching. No adapter found.

Seems over the years many people had this, and was fixed with driver updates, etc.

Windows 10, GeForce 770GTX. Non-steam install.

So, I've tried:
    Cleaning drivers, reinstalling.
    Reinstalling the data files for the game (2x).
    Manually editing the prefs file and changing D3D9 to D3D10 and D3D11, which gives me no error, but doesn't launch either. A silent fail. Only D3D9 gives me any feedback at all.
    I have disabled the onboard graphics card.
    I've changed the DisplayAdapter to 0, 1, 2, and for giggles, 3 and 4. No joy.
    Running the launcher in admin doesn't help.
    I've even plopped in D3D9 dlls into the folder itself, even one meant for old games, just to see. No change.
    My ini doesn't have a [Display] section because the game never runs. But I pasted in a sample I saw here to see if setting the resolution would help, etc. No difference.
    Installed the web installer for DX9.
    Installed the full 2010 DX files as well.
    And have VC++ redist 32 and 64 bit pretty much across the board, as I have many games that use them.

My wife, running Windows 10 with a Nvidia mobile card, same updates on the OS and the video card, runs fine.

It's driving me crazy. Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Last edited by Biffsnot; Feb 12 2019 at 01:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2