We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Should Hobbits wear boots in Winter zones?

We don't RP but would like to be RP correct.
    Any help on Winter zone cosmetics would be nice to know.
    Yule fest and Winter events are here. Are dresses out?
    Thanks

EDIT: I did a lazy bit of researching.

Please ignore my op question.
    I will try to reword it.

What does the Role-Playing Community of LOTRO
    think of my hobbit not wearing boots in the snow?

Hobbit feet have leathery soles. They can handle the volcanic rock of Mt. Doom.
    Hobbit feet are covered in hairy fur. They can handle the snow in Frostbluff.
    Seems to me that hobbit feet are well protected from the cold,
    so until I hear differently from the RP Community,
    I will go without boots.

Thanks
    --------------
    This from Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit

From Carpenter: The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, #27 about Bilbo Baggins.

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit
    as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach,
    shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed
    and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown).
    The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur.
    Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat;
    brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons;
    a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).

and this old link too.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-this-instant!!

Thanks again everyone
    Last edited by Mudpies; Dec 20 2017 at 01:59 PM.

Yes. Bilbo wore boots for his entire There and Back Again journey. While hobbits don't normally wear shoes in the Shire, when they are adventuring or doing other difficult travel, they will often wear shoes or boots. There's even a painting by Tolkien of Bilbo wearing boots on the barrels to Lake-Town (rather odd, as I think he was invisible the whole time, but…
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4) System RAM: 8192
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5000 GPU RAM: 1536

There's also the angle to consider if your Hobbit is a Stoor or related to them; unlike the Fallohides and Harfoots, Stoors do wear shoes and boots.

I always have my hobbits wear boots, and it's for RP reasons too. I imagine them getting for an adventure and preparing themselves for it.

For example in winter areas, I have all my alts of all races wear winter attire.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I'll get yelled at for saying this, but in the film, they were barefoot throughout; even in deep snow and mountain tops/sides.

(Yeah, I know, the film took liberties).

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpies View Post
    We don't RP but would like to be RP correct. Any help on Winter zone cosmetics would be nice to know. Yule fest and Winter events are here. Are dresses out?
    Thanks

EDIT: I did a lazy bit of researching.

Please ignore my op question. I will try to reword it.

What does the Role-Playing Community of LOTRO think of my hobbit not wearing boots in the snow?

Hobbit feet have leathery soles. They can handle the volcanic rock of Mt. Doom. Hobbit feet are covered in hairy fur. They can handle the snow in Frostbluff. Seems to me that hobbit feet are well protected from the cold, so until I hear differently from the RP Community, I will go without boots.

Thanks
    --------------
    This from Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit

From Carpenter: The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, #27 about Bilbo Baggins.

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).

and this old link too.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-this-instant!!

Thanks again everyone
    I read a while back on a study that true geologist made about Middle Earth, based on Tolkiens cartographic descriptions, that the only reason that hobbitses go shoeless was that The Shire was located on a subtropical region (think about Florida, USA weather) a fairly warm & wet place all year long, where shoes will be a nuisance more than help. Hobbit feet may be harder & furrier than average humans but they surely will get hurt on extreme cold or hot weather.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...9-into-science
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Apr 04 2018 at 12:46 PM.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

I imagine that Hobbits are pretty much adapted to their environment. It snows in the Shire, so cold conditions would be something they are familiar with. After all, a rabbit doesn't need boots in winter.
    Yes, I know it's a Rabbit: they don't have a Hedgehog.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    I read a while back on a study that true geologist made about Middle Earth, based on Tolkiens cartographic descriptions, that the only reason that hobbitses go shoeless was that The Shire was located on a subtropical region (think about Florida, USA weather) a fairly warm & wet place all year long, where shoes will be a nuisance more than help. Hobbit feet may be harder & furrier than average humans but they surely will get hurt on extreme cold or hot weather.

I thought The Shire was exactly that, Tolkiens version of the old shire counties of England, lushly green, with a laid back, rural population.

Appletart only wears her snowbeast boots in Forochel, Misty Mountains, and during Winter Festival. Other than that she goes without shoes.
    Luventhariel and Appletart of Second Breakfast, Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post

That's really cool!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Hobbits without boots in Winter is fine with me. I made some research and found why they don't wear shoes, it's because their feet had tough leathery soles and were clad in a thick curling hair, much like the hair of their heads, which was commonly brown. I hope my feet is like that so that I don't have to spend money to buy Boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    (Yeah, I know, the film took liberties).
    Like giving Hobbits pointy ears? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    You know, I've seen the LOTR films several times, and I never noticed that.

My hobbit never wears shoes in RP nor goes on adventures, of course ooc i wear shoes in outfits i make for fun, but that's not RP. if i was to RP adventures (which i don't) i would wear shoes, but never if stay at home in the shire or travel from one shire village to the next for reasons.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

When he's crafting or hanging around the shire, my hobbit is always shoeless....but when he goes into battle, I don't want some ogre stepping on his twinkle toes, besides I have found only a few outfits that look good without shoes and none of them include armor
    “Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    They're *meant* to have (slightly) pointed ears:

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem
    to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed
    and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown
    hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or
    brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).

-Tolkien, letter #27, describing Bilbo's general appearance in The Hobbit

This letter is also relevant to the subject of this thread, since Bilbo was in fact supposed to be wearing boots some of the time:

There is in the text no mention of his acquiring of boots. There should be! It has dropped out
    somehow or other in the various revisions – the bootings occurred at Rivendell; and he was again
    bootless after leaving Rivendell on the way home.

So there you go, hobbits wearing boots while on adventures is absolutely okay if they might have reason to fear for their feet otherwise, and don't let anyone tell you any different

my hobbit is a noble he always wearing shoes!
    well expect when he is getting drunk in Green Dragon.......
    i had a very good friend with hobbit minstrel back in Eldar,
    he was the reason i rolled my hobbit when he quite playing,
    he was a really good raid leader in the Moors n we r
    still in touch via facebook,
    well he was always barefoot n we used to have lot of laugh
    when i was mocking him of stepping on Varg droppings
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    my hobbit is a noble he always wearing shoes!
    Hobbits didn't really have nobles, the 'posh' hobbits seem more like country squires (gentlemen, but not lords or anything like that). The reason for that (apart from hobbits being simple folk) is that the Shire had been part of Arnor (and then Arthedain), so all the real nobles and of course the king had used to be Dunedain and the hobbits had somehow known their place and kept to it even after all that went away. Otherwise, after a thousand years the hobbits wouldn't have had just lords but probably a king of their own, if you can imagine such a thing.

I rather think posh hobbits would just have nicely coiffured feet (lol) rather than wearing shoes... Merry and Pippin were both 'posh' hobbits (Pippin's dad was the Thain of the Shire!) and they didn't ponce around in shoes

That said, maybe your hobbit is a flamboyant eccentric and is trying to start a trend? But then he'd be followed around by hobbit kids saying cheeky things about his footwear and mocking the way he walks

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Hobbits didn't really have nobles, the 'posh' hobbits seem more like country squires (gentlemen, but not lords or anything like that). The reason for that (apart from hobbits being simple folk) is that the Shire had been part of Arnor (and then Arthedain), so all the real nobles and of course the king had used to be Dunedain and the hobbits had somehow known their place and kept to it even after all that went away. Otherwise, after a thousand years the hobbits wouldn't have had just lords but probably a king of their own, if you can imagine such a thing.
    yep i know, they elected their Thain after the fall of Arnor

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    I rather think posh hobbits would just have nicely coiffured feet (lol) rather than wearing shoes... Merry and Pippin were both 'posh' hobbits (Pippin's dad was the Thain of the Shire!)
    and they didn't ponce around in shoes That said, maybe your hobbit is a flamboyant eccentric and is trying to start a trend? But then he'd be followed around by hobbit kids saying cheeky things
    about his footwear and mocking the way he walks
    ok no prob with this..... anyway he started wearing boots after he left shire to his adventurous travels......... :P
    he never returned so no mockings from the other halflings, well to be honnest he is having some probs with the 4 shorties of the company
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

My Hobbit started wearing boots after one of the big folk stepped on her toes while they were wearing plate mail boots. Made her realise that it could have been an axe or sword, so now she wears chainmail boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammadryad View Post
    My Hobbit started wearing boots after one of the big folk stepped on her toes while they were wearing plate mail boots. Made her realise that it could have been an axe or sword, so now she wears chainmail boots!
    Alas, from an RP perspective mail wouldn't prevent your toes from being bruised... steel toecapped boots worn with mail sabatons, that'd be more the thing (also handy for kicking whoever trod on your foot)

It occurs to me that Mara Sandydowns, the Winterhome hobbit Yule quest giver, wears boots. So there is precedent for them in-game, for what that's worth.

My hobbit only wears shoes in extremely unfriendly weather (snowstorms mainly) or in really icky places like Skumfil and pretty much all of Mordor. She really doesn't want to pluck out whatever could get caught in her hair there.
    New Order, maggots: Eat more carrots! The Dark Lord isn't pleased that none of you can see further than the end of your sword.