We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry "Installing Pre-reqs"

Hello.

Since yesterday there was a problem "Installing Pre-reqs" and lotro site doesn't load ... My provider says that the problem is not on their side. I can access the site through a proxy, but it doesn't help with launcher. And this problem is not only with me, but with many russian players.

Ticket sent, but so far no response.

SSG, how would you comment on this and when will a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Yolli View Post
    Hello.

Since yesterday there was a problem "Installing Pre-reqs" and lotro site doesn't load ... My provider says that the problem is not on their side. I can access the site through a proxy, but it doesn't help with launcher. And this problem is not only with me, but with many russian players.

Read the thread on IP blocked.

Many Russian players are now blocked due to the actions of a few spammers, and the inaction of the ISPs they are using to distribute the spam.

6 Harrow Road, Mousehill, Shire Homesteads
    Found this thread. No answers from SSG, but a few political speculations and information about the same problem from Europe. So no, seems there is not a correct version.
    Gilnaure Shrewmouse, Of Mirkwood. At your service!
    Landroval | Brotherhood of Steel & Radagast's Pipe & Watchers of Mindon | @Gil_Shrewmouse

Quote Originally Posted by Yolli View Post
    Hello.

Maybe You need to post in this thread https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...m-login-issues as that is the only thread any staff has even bothered to respond in. Be sure to make them understand that it is not just affecting the LoTRO web-site but also blocking acccess to even load the game.

Seems either SSG or their server host is blocking IP adresses for "reasons". Not sure by what criteria though ??? Too many posts in a certain amount of hours ??? Being connected 2 at a time from same IP adress while playing together from same household ??? We are not from Russia, China or India for that matter but mainland Europe. Still our IP got blocked sunday. Then we also could not get pass Installing Pre Reqs or even load teh web-site anymore. Before we were blocked we could at least load the wb-site even if slow and acting weird, as well as play the game. After block nothing would work/load at all. Managed to aquire a new IP adress and all worked again. Still a very bad situation for many that can't accces web-site to even report this or play the game. Most donät even know what is wrong I guess and think LoTRO is down or someting. That is what I first thought, as we could not access either game or web-site.

Yes we also sent tickets on sunday and so far no response. As expected though as we also have a ticket with another technical issue that is like 14-19 days old and still open and no response. Yet that technicalk issue seems to be resolved and work atm but still no response and ticket not closed as solved. I'm starting to wonder if they even read bug report tickets anymore ???
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Putin is meddling in LOTRO because he wants Sauron to win.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVile View Post
    Putin is meddling in LOTRO because he wants Sauron to win.
    It's not funny when you spend a lot of money and support company, and this company ban you without any reason, and even don't answer to you.
    Last edited by Elmagor; Nov 29 2017 at 03:48 AM.

Reading through the threads related to this issue, the only piece of advice I saw was to overthrow our current president and his crazy rich friends, who are frustrated because noone buys gold in LOTRO and who started the ddos attack. Or something like that.

And even though I love the overthrowing part, I'd rather have some explanation on why I'm not geo-blocked when I want to spend my money on the subscription or expansions (and yes, I bought Mordor and quite a sum of points with my money, spending ~100 dollars on the game during only THIS couple of months. Note as well that here in Russia the average salary is about $400, making this sum even more considerable), but I am when I want to play or get support.

I love LOTRO and I am ready to support it. But I want to be loved back! And the thing I see is that I've not been able to play for 3 days, and no GM says anything about the issue anywhere.

I wouldn't even call it outraging. This is just extremely upsetting that I don't get any information on when I'd be able to play again or if I will be at all.
    Last edited by leen_gil; Nov 29 2017 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Maybe You need to post in this thread https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...m-login-issues as that is the only thread any staff has even bothered to respond in. Be sure to make them understand that it is not just affecting the LoTRO web-site but also blocking acccess to even load the game.

Seems either SSG or their server host is blocking IP adresses for "reasons". Not sure by what criteria though ??? Too many posts in a certain amount of hours ??? Being connected 2 at a time from same IP adress while playing together from same household ??? We are not from Russia, China or India for that matter but mainland Europe. Still our IP got blocked sunday. Then we also could not get pass Installing Pre Reqs or even load teh web-site anymore. Before we were blocked we could at least load the wb-site even if slow and acting weird, as well as play the game. After block nothing would work/load at all. Managed to aquire a new IP adress and all worked again. Still a very bad situation for many that can't accces web-site to even report this or play the game. Most donät even know what is wrong I guess and think LoTRO is down or someting. That is what I first thought, as we could not access either game or web-site.

Yes we also sent tickets on sunday and so far no response. As expected though as we also have a ticket with another technical issue that is like 14-19 days old and still open and no response. Yet that technicalk issue seems to be resolved and work atm but still no response and ticket not closed as solved. I'm starting to wonder if they even read bug report tickets anymore ???
    So I posted in that other thread about how I have had to use a VPN service for the last half year in order to connect to the game and forums. Something has now changed.

Starting today I am now able to connect to the game and forums without using my VPN service. Whatever "routing issues" they are trying to work around it seems they routed themselves completely around the server that was blocking a whole swath of IP addresses from where I live (central Canada).

I hope the rest of you eventually have the same success. Until then you could try a VPN service. Not ideal, but it works great for me with no extra lag or delay in ping response (depending on which service provider you use).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by danno8 View Post
    So I posted in that other thread about how I have had to use a VPN service for the last half year in order to connect to the game and forums. Something has now changed.

Starting today I am now able to connect to the game and forums without using my VPN service. Whatever "routing issues" they are trying to work around it seems they routed themselves completely around the server that was blocking a whole swath of IP addresses from where I live (central Canada).

I hope the rest of you eventually have the same success. Until then you could try a VPN service. Not ideal, but it works great for me with no extra lag or delay in ping response (depending on which service provider you use).
    I did recieve a reply today to my submitted bug report. Not sure if its' Ok to give out details on a privately sent reply. But to sum it up and leaving out details as to whom replied etc. It does indeed seem that SSG have been working with some counter meassure to combat "bad" activities (I assume baba ji and the spam and such) and that they are working on it and hope that it is just temporary blocking as they test it and realize what meassures works and what might block the wrong people etc. As I already had gotten a new IP Adress and can access game and forums, after I got that, I can't really tell if my old blocked IP is now unblocked but if reading Your message danno8 it seems they have at least managed to unblock some people.

I suggest that everyone who still have issues go to the Bug Site and fill in the forms. I could acctually acccess that even when our IP was blocked for this site and the game. If not maybe You can use a VPN temporarily to submit a bug report. Since those blocked can not even read this I hope that those who have friends who are blocked can pass this information on to them.

Here is The Link to the bug report form.

SSG Support Bug Form: https://help.standingstonegames.com/.../requests/new?

You need to set up a support account that uses Your e-mail but another password than the game account use. Also fill in Your account name (but not account password of course). Possibly submit Your IP adress that is blocked and a trace router so they can see if they can find Your IP adress in a block list of some sort.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Nov 29 2017 at 10:14 AM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    It is strange, none of the DDOS trackers show that; they show huge attacks against the US, Spain, and India, but not coming out of Russia; they DO show a massive and persistent attack coming out of central USA against Germany, with smaller attacks against much of South America, the middle East and India.
    VPNs, and Proxies. All the attacks are coming from Russia, but are being channelled through
    the Republican Party National Committee in Washington D.C. for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by leen_gil View Post
    Reading through the threads related to this issue, the only piece of advice I saw was to overthrow our current president and his crazy rich friends, who are frustrated because noone buys gold in LOTRO and who started the ddos attack. Or something like that.
    Putin is meddling in the Political Affairs of Middle-Earth. He wants Sauron to control Gondor.

And even though I love the overthrowing part, I'd rather have some explanation on why I'm not geo-blocked when I want to spend my money on the subscription or expansions (and yes, I bought Mordor and quite a sum of points with my money, spending ~100 dollars on the game during only THIS couple of months. Note as well that here in Russia the average salary is about $400, making this sum even more considerable), but I am when I want to play or get support.
    Because, Capitalism. You can always find a $alesman *before* you own the Product. When you need Support - not so much.

I love LOTRO and I am ready to support it. But I want to be loved back!
    We all want to enjoy Freedom and Quality Goods. Sadly, both oppressive dictators and greedy merchants
    are hell-bent on keeping us addicted to the Lies they promote. Just ask the Chinese Government: they are
    fully engaged on both fronts! The only thing that seems to help is, happily, the cheapest: Always speak out
    against it all the time, at every opportunity, as loudly as you can. If every human being did that, all the time,
    it would be extremely difficult for either oppression or exploitation to gain a foothold, let alone survive.

Go P#ssy Riot!

And the thing I see is that I've not been able to play for 3 days, and no GM says anything about the issue anywhere.

I wouldn't even call it outraging. This is just extremely upsetting that I don't get any information on when I'd be able to play again or if I will be at all.
    And just think of all the OTHER information you aren't getting!
    Or, getting only with some degree of effort or personal risk. Good Luck!

In fact, Good Luck to all of us: some of us have to deal with firmly entrenched
    despots who are stealing their nations blind; others are suffering under wannabe
    despots who are rabidly engaged in the attempt. Remember: all that is necessary
    for the triumph of Evil is that Good People do nothing.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVile View Post
    In fact, Good Luck to all of us: some of us have to deal with firmly entrenched
    despots who are stealing their nations blind; others are suffering under wannabe
    despots who are rabidly engaged in the attempt. Remember: all that is necessary
    for the triumph of Evil is that Good People do nothing.
    No, really. This is either just a ridiculously bad trolling or an extreme case of paranoia to talk about the global conspiracy theories here, and both don't seem very appealing.

I didn't come here to discuss the political matters. This thread is supposed to be about some obvious technical issues and the absence of explanations from the GMs. And both will be hopefully addressed during maintenance hours today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    It is strange, none of the DDOS trackers show that; they show huge attacks against the US, Spain, and India, but not coming out of Russia; they DO show a massive and persistent attack coming out of central USA against Germany, with smaller attacks against much of South America, the middle East and India.

I did suspect that it was a DDOS against the SSG hosts, and that it was probably from the FSU, but it isnt HUGE, it dosnt even register on any of the trackers I have looked at..
    Using VPN's to deflect an attack to a different region of the world is a common tactic. There are dozens of commercial VPN providers, and a bunch more free ones that people can use to hide their IP or location.... but the problem is that the gold spammers use these too.

Most public VPN provider IP ranges have already been banned by SSG, as it is the only effective way to try and stop gold spammers - unless you want to remove F2P altogether. Unfortunately, if you use a VPN for privacy reasons (read: don't want to get caught downloading torrentz) you may be using one that has been banned by SSG.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

The forums are back up (less sluggish than they were), and so is Arkenstone. 11:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, the better part of half an hour early. Well done.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    The forums are back up (less sluggish than they were), and so is Arkenstone. 11:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, the better part of half an hour early. Well done.
    The USA isnt suffering so badly under DDOS attacks right now, but the EU is still getting a pounding, especially Germany and Spain; logging in from the UK is still taking over a minute, and the forums are still pretty slow, although a bit better than Sunday.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

No, really. This is either just a ridiculously bad trolling or an extreme case of paranoia to talk about the global conspiracy theories here, and both don't seem very appealing.

I didn't come here to discuss the political matters. This thread is supposed to be about some obvious technical issues and the absence of explanations from the GMs. And both will be hopefully addressed during maintenance hours today.
    It's not about Global Conspiracies - it's about local Human Nature. But you're right: No Politics.

Okay, "obvious technical issues" - here ya go: Apparently, SSG are blocking IPs in Certain Countries<tm>.
    This suggests that they are under some form of attack from those Certain Countries, because otherwise
    they wouldn't do it. Also, these Countries are renowned for their cyber attacks - including an extremely
    well-documented series of recent attacks on the Nation which SSG are headquartered in and native to.

So live with it. There, problem solved.

I want to thank all people who spend some time to talk with poor players from USSR and try to help them during this dark days. Good to see some people who don't use "always blame russians" logic.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    I want to thank all people who spend some time to talk with poor players from USSR and try to help them during this dark days. Good to see some people who don't use "always blame russians" logic.
    So as far as I'm concerned No matter if You are from Russia, England, USA, India or China, Your IP adress should not be blocked just because there are some criminals hackers or spammers that uses IP adresses from Your country.

Just like everyone that walks into a bank shouldn't be arrested if they happen to be in the same bank as a robbery just took place. I'm not a fan of collective punishment. Innocent people should not be made to suffer for the actions of a few criminals. That only leads to frustration and creates more criminals. If Your being punished anyway, although You did nothing wrong, You might as well become a criminal Yourself as You are already paying the price anyway. That is not a good signal to send out.

Internet is one place where we should be able to set aside things like skin colour, nationality etc but unfortionetly we don't in many cases. I too have at times generalized about groups of people. Probably not so much depending on their nationality (even if i like to joke and say the bloody yanks but that is all in good jest) but I do generalize sometimes as in relation to group behaviour. Like talking about "politicians" and such. Implying that they are all the same and mostly bad. When of course there are some good ones out there too that have good intentions really would like to make the world a better place but they are often grinded down by the system.

As for blaming Russians, North Koreans or anyone else just beacuse of what nation they happened to be born in. That is not a bandwaggon I will jump on. Most impressions we have of other countries or cultures are from main-stream media and as one who have travelled alot, often for extended periods, I can say that reality is often quite different from the image painted in main-stream media. Or rather main-stream media often have an agenda and paint one very focused narrow niche or stereotypical image of nations, cultures and topics when in reality that is often just a small part of a nations culture. For example, not all yanks eat McDonalds and are fat. Not all Russians squats, wear adidas and are drunk on vodka all the time. Not all Muslims carries an AK 47 and burn American flags. Not all Swedes are binary gender and feminists. Not all Germans are always on time or are super effective and march in straight lines. Not all French eat frog legs etc. Once You travel You meet all kinds of people in all various nations. Just as You don't like the same things as Your neighbour or have the same opinions on every topic, neither does people in other countries. You will find a-holes from all nations, just as You will find nice people from all nations.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Dec 01 2017 at 06:36 PM.