We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmanthief View Post
    Sorry Kick, but that's all you do, take shots at people that don't agree with you, very much like wangotinkletoes or denhith or any number of self righteous self centered #######s that have nothing better to do than cause misery for others.
    Awww...thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunford View Post
    Couldn't agree more with all points.
    I'm sure it will not be implemented but I would love to have an option to turn off elk mounts the same as we can turn off cosmetic pets. Show a generic horse mount instead.
    I don't have a problem with the elk mount myself, but having this as an option would generate a lot of good will with many players.

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    Seriously dude. Stop eating those SSG cookies they give the forum defenders and maybe you will be able to see the game has issues and the reason we complain is because we want those issues fixed. So tired of the blind defense of everything. Like I said in another thread.... You can eat steak with a spoon but why would you, of course if SSG supplied the spoon you would be on here saying it was the greatest spoon ever made and we should be proud to eat steak with it.
    Whereas some posters here would be just happy spooning the steak and think they're doing it right.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Excuse me, but I thought Lotro was based on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, not on the Hobbit book (or movie). I have no problems with that of course, We could build a complete new game around the travels of Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves.

But even so:

Goats are in the Hobbit movie.
    Elks are in the Lord of the Ring movie.

So they both have an equal right to be a mount in the game I would reckon.

First off, it was you who brought the movies into it, in my opinion they should have no bearing whatsoever on the game. You were using them to justify the inclusion of elk mounts, I personally think the idea is juvenile and idiotic.
    Secondly, you got it wrong again, neither goats nor elk were in the Lord of the Rings movies, both were in the Hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Not only that, I own a 1970s, leather bound hard copy pristine edition of both The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's my precioussss....

The point I am getting at is that the zones as they appear in the game are completely made up. Place names, city names, area names..... things like Anunimas (and the fact it is now a ruin) is mentioned in the books, but the design elements of many things are just purely made up by Turbine, and they have admitted as much. Tolkien didn't have drawings for everything, so they really didn't have much choice to start making up things.... large amounts of the story lines of the Epic quests of Vol I. and Vol II. are also made up. Yes, they follow the books through the lands, but the fellowship never made it to Angmar, or Forochel, and they only spent a relatively short time in Moria before they managed to get out again. The quest lines in the game are pretty much made up from AFTER the fellowship passed through.

I totally understand why they had to do it, and they certainly kept the quest lines in the style of LOTR, using references in the books.... but most of it was completely made up by Turbine. And it is because of that I get a little bit weary of "canon purists" that have no room for anything that wasn't in the books, but was in the movies.

As far as The Hobbit goes.... a LOT of that storyline actually plays out in the Mirkwoods, and they got there through the Gladden Fields.... so it will be interesting to see how they will address that, or whether they even will.
    We are agreed on the need for Turbine/SSG to go much further than what Tolkien wrote to build the virtual world. What I took issue with was you using the fact that the world builders have to make up a fair amount of material from scratch as an excuse to also go putting things in to that world which have no place being there, such as rideable elk for instance
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

The new lootbox mechanics just feel like beating a dead horse. We've had hobbit gifts for ages, and they work on a similar concept (tho with worse rewards).

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekGirl View Post
    However...

...elk mounts. Cringe. Nobody rode elk in Middle Earth.
    This was marginally inevitable after the Hobbit films. Same reason for using goats. I coulda missed it, but I don't remember reading about riding goats in the books either. I just hope we steer clear of the hogs... Besides, I think we've already had the elk war-steed cosmetic, haven't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Feadel View Post
    No mention of fixing problems or putting Mordor in the store, so we must assume that late February or March will get here before we can spend our points.
    Mordor has been slated for U22 for months, hasn't it? We just haven't been told exactly when that falls. "Winter", which on the calendar is Dec 21 thru March.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Oh dear I am going to be so busy in winter fest this year!!!! Thank you for the look ahead. This hobbit has been demanding......ahem, "demanding" would be rather rude.........I mean politely requesting......updates to the festival and I am glad some one heard this little voice! Please, NO MORE KITES! Something new to do at the festivals would also be so much fun. Looking forward to everything you told us about in the letter. I'm so slow I will get to it around 2020 but I'm sure we will all be around to then and beyond! Thanks again for the update.

Hmmm.

I can live with the goats. Horses don't belong underground on steps or in darkness. Do goats mind those conditions? I don't know, and I don't really care. I can live with the goats.

Elk? I can't live with the elk. Elk don't belong under a rider.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Very cool. Also the next big point is ... Rhun? Nice place for expansion 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post

Elk? I can't live with the elk. Elk don't belong under a rider.
    We are talking abot world where animals can speak and are quite sentient, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    We are talking abot world where animals can speak and are quite sentient, right?
    Yes.
    And the last elk I spoke to told me that saddles were right out.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

Yes.
    And the last elk I spoke to told me that saddles were right out.
    Oh i didn't get what elk is first time. Now i translated what exactly it is and here's the news for you: elks ARE ridable. Funny but i live exactly where first known elk riders lived - Western Ural. Local komi (it's a small forest people) tamed elks centuries ago, rode them and even used them in battles. Though it could be a legend as only stories and pictures left since that times. But tamed elks are still used even now in Russia (we have elk-farms) and Sweden (though i'm not sure they still do). The problems with elks are: they are very expensive, they have weak spine and they don't like loud sounds. But lightweight people can ride - it's possible. Though there is another problem - elks are getting used to certain people for a very long time. But again it's possible/

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    Oh i didn't get what elk is first time. Now i translated what exactly it is and here's the news for you: elks ARE ridable.
    Sorry.
    But that is what we call over here a Moose. Bullwinkle.
    What Thranduil was riding in The Hobbit movie is what we call an Elk.

Sorry.
    But that is what we call over here a Moose. Bullwinkle.
    What Thranduil was riding in The Hobbit movie is what we call an Elk.
    Alces alces is called a "moose" in North American English, but an "elk" in British English
    source

That is a moose, this is an elk:

Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Elk...never domesticated as far as I know...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk#Commercial_uses

The following is from this site: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tolki...2806633845009/

Is Thranduil, King of the Elves, Riding a Moose in The Hobbit?
    Thranduil, king of the Mirkwood elves, makes a short appearance in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Moose.

And he's riding a moose. A really big moose.

Or is he? The creature in question doesn't have a moose head. But those antlers sure do bring back the great white north, eh? So what is this mystery beast?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Megaloceros Giganteus, the mighty (but sadly extinct) Irish Elk!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Megaloceros.jpg

Skeleton
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:%...n_2009_250.JPG

The Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus), was a species of Megaloceros and one of the largest deer that ever lived. Its range extended across Eurasia, from Ireland to east of Lake Baikal, during the Late Pleistocene. The latest known remains of the species have been carbon dated to about 11,000 years ago. Although most skeletons have been found in Irish bogs, the animal was not exclusively Irish and was not closely related to either of the living species currently called elk - Alces alces (the European elk, known in North America as the moose) or Cervus canadensis (the North American elk or wapiti); for this reason, the name "Giant Deer" is used in some publications.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Nov 23 2017 at 02:57 AM.

Elk...never domesticated as far as I know...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk#Commercial_uses
    It's OK, a number of forum members have never been domesticated either.

(JOKE ALERT)

The following is from this site: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tolki...2806633845009/
    The moose (North America) or elk (Eurasia), Alces alces, is the largest extant species in the deer biological family.
    Alces alces is called a "moose" in North American English, but an "elk" in British English;[2] its scientific name comes from its name in Latin. The word "elk" in North American English refers to a completely different species of deer, the Cervus canadensis, also called the wapiti.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

As Middle-Earth is 'British' world so it's ok to use word 'elk' for what you in America call 'moose' only. That american elk (sort of deer) is what i thought first also

Quote Originally Posted by Dmira View Post
    Very sad, but so true. The funny thing is if SSG releases Northern Mirkwood like they did Mordor solo and duo players will still be SOL. My wife and I were looking forward to Mordor, but after hearing you had to be a power gamer to enjoyment it we didn't bother buying the update. I fully expect SSG to pull the same stunt with the new regions.
    Where did you hear that? I'm not a power gamer, just casual, and I've had a blast with Mordor, and I'm glad I paid for it. You just have to take it slow and steady and upgrade your gear with drops and barters as you progress through it. That may not be enough for T2 instances (same as with MT/Pel) but it covers the rest of the content quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmira View Post
    Very sad, but so true. The funny thing is if SSG releases Northern Mirkwood like they did Mordor solo and duo players will still be SOL. My wife and I were looking forward to Mordor, but after hearing you had to be a power gamer to enjoyment it we didn't bother buying the update. I fully expect SSG to pull the same stunt with the new regions.

Not true.
    It is more challenging than we have been used to (thankfully, it has been awfully easy of late), but you can get geared up and play with quest rewards and drops and still keep on keepin' on.
    The stuff that is sorta locked behind gambling is nice to have but not actually needed to progress. It is refreshing to actually need to think about how to solve an obstacle and need to plan to get by the tougher mobs.
    Never give up.

I´m neutral about the Elk mount and I prefer to think of this game as only being based on the lotr universe and not a literal translation to another media. I can understand both views in this thread but I´m happy that I can take a hobbit alone to Moria etc etc. That said, these guys are pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO1O9WFlQmA

http://theplaidzebra.com/the-nomadic...es-and-eagles/

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    This was marginally inevitable after the Hobbit films. Same reason for using goats. I coulda missed it, but I don't remember reading about riding goats in the books either. I just hope we steer clear of the hogs... Besides, I think we've already had the elk war-steed cosmetic, haven't we?
    Nobody rode goats anywhere in 'The Hobbit' or 'LOTR' books, that's for sure. If there's mention of anyone riding beasts other than horses or ponies in other Tolkien writings, I'd be curious to know.
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekGirl View Post
    Nobody rode goats anywhere in 'The Hobbit' or 'LOTR' books, that's for sure. If there's mention of anyone riding beasts other than horses or ponies in other Tolkien writings, I'd be curious to know.
    Absolutely not. Apart from Gandalf and a few of his closest friends getting an occasional air taxi from the Eagles, the only beast that was ridden by the good guys were good, old fashioned horses.

One of the things which to me has always been a signature of Tolkien's fantasy world is the gritty realism. Middle-earth is founded in the real world and when you read the novels it feels like it could be taking place almost in your own backyard. Sure there are fantastic creatures like dragons and balrogs, but even those are kept to a minimum and are almost always supernatural in nature. The people (leaving elves and their immortality aside for a moment) are just like you and I, and Tolkien's greatest heroes are often very small and relatively weak.

To me, every time we put something in to LotRO's version of Middle-earth which clearly doesn't belong there, we weaken what makes the game unique, and move it ever so much closer to being one of the many cheap generic fantasies which are already out there in abundance.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

16 minutes talking about end game, and nothing about how screwed the servers are, and how server performance and lag needs urgently fixing.

Excellent drinking game though, a shot every time you here the word "like".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    To me, every time we put something in to LotRO's version of Middle-earth which clearly doesn't belong there, we weaken what makes the game unique, and move it ever so much closer to being one of the many cheap generic fantasies which are already out there in abundance.
    Many of those games you call cheap have a heck of allot more players then LOTRO.

Question

Will there EVER be some kind of a lotro buy token that makes it possible to change gender on your avatar?!?!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast