We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    In short:

GOATS: Books: No - Movies: No.
    ELKS: Books: No - Movies: Yes.
    Excuse me, but I really have to ask, have you actually seen the Hobbit movies?

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    You do realize that most of the original game was actually completely made up by Turbine right? Forochel, Angmar... even most of Evendim.... all made up. Forochel wasn't even mentioned in any of the books.... Evendim only one passage if I recall, and Angmar only once or twice.... but they came up with full zones nonetheless by purely fantasizing it all up. Even Ered Luin isn't mentioned. The books take the path from the Shire to Bree to Rivendell quite quickly, a few chapters in and we're already forming the Fellowship.....

Turbine just made up a world around key words they found in the books, but pretty much made up everything else. Goats included. So with long history of things made up and not in the books, I think an elk mount should be the least of your canon worries.....

Excuse me, but I really have to ask, have you actually read the Lord of the Rings books?

Evendim was a very important part of the story in the books, Anuminas was the original capitol of the Northern Kingdom and was there that Aragorn rebuilt the city and eventually settled. Angmar and Forochel were also very important to the story, and both regions had rich, if somewhat tainted, histories in Tolkien's legend. Forochel had a large part to play in the death of Arvedui, the last King of Arnor, and Angmar was of course largely the reason for the downfall of his Kingdom. Angmar is mentioned many times both in the body of the books as well as the appendices, while Forochel gets a far more than just a "mention". Ered Luin is mentioned many times, both in the LotR and the Hobbit, it was, after all, home to Thorin and the other dwarves for a considerable time.

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Excuse me, but I really have to ask, have you actually read the Lord of the Rings books?

Evendim was a very important part of the story in the books, Anuminas was the original capitol of the Northern Kingdom and was there that Aragorn rebuilt the city and eventually settled. Angmar and Forochel were also very important to the story, and both regions had rich, if somewhat tainted, histories in Tolkien's legend. Forochel had a large part to play in the death of Arvedui, the last King of Arnor, and Angmar was of course largely the reason for the downfall of his Kingdom. Angmar is mentioned many times both in the body of the books as well as the appendices, while Forochel gets a far more than just a "mention". Ered Luin is mentioned many times, both in the LotR and the Hobbit, it was, after all, home to Thorin and the other dwarves for a considerable time.
    Amen to that, brother.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow, and two on Laurelin
    Malancil CHN, Historian | Calchiar CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite GRD, Armourer | Tarostel HNT, Armsman | Angredeth HNT, Tinker

This is so exciting.

My only plea is that the development team follow in Moria's likeness with Erebor. Of course not as evil, but I refer to the cavernous depths, winding staircases, mazes, complexity and grandiosity...something you can lose yourself in-- figuratively and literally. Moria was an immersive experience, not just an in-game location. If Erebor is equally as impressive from a world-building and level-design point of view...I'm salivating at the thought of it!
    Elbineezerscrooge - Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    All great, great news! I can't wait to meet Thranduil myself! The most significant Elf added to the game since launch.

As for the elk mount pushback, meh. People didn't ride goats underground in Middle-earth either. I think it's fantastic. And would love to see war-hog mounts (for dwarf/hobbit players only) in the future!

Alas, it will never happen. Devs are a bunch of anti-Dwarfists! It's always about about the elves...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Elk mounts.. No. The rest Yes!

And the 64 bit client??????
    I second this -- Especially a 64-bit client for the Mac!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by MourneBlade View Post
    Great job SSG, really looking forward to next year and the new adventures that await!

P.S. It is really sad that all the cry baby regulars on the forums had to post in this thread with all their boo-hoo's and BS just like they do in every other thread. Guess that post count # is their whole life.
    Seriously dude. Stop eating those SSG cookies they give the forum defenders and maybe you will be able to see the game has issues and the reason we complain is because we want those issues fixed. So tired of the blind defense of everything. Like I said in another thread.... You can eat steak with a spoon but why would you, of course if SSG supplied the spoon you would be on here saying it was the greatest spoon ever made and we should be proud to eat steak with it.
    I saw the light fade from the sky
    On the wind I heard a sigh
    As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers
    I will say this last goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    All great, great news! I can't wait to meet Thranduil myself! The most significant Elf added to the game since launch.

As for the elk mount pushback, meh. People didn't ride goats underground in Middle-earth either. I think it's fantastic. And would love to see war-hog mounts (for dwarf/hobbit players only) in the future!

That pig in the photo is a breed of mini pig(the largest of the breed) called a kune kune and its actually Peter Jacksons pet.
    Captain-General Ughidontknow...Tripso rnk 6 burg...Izeatzfreepz rnk 8 warg....Yells rnk 10 warleader
    Leader of The Hobbit Syndicate
    "Everyone wants to be the hero and no one wants to be support"

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    Seriously dude. Stop eating those SSG cookies they give the forum defenders and maybe you will be able to see the game has issues and the reason we complain is because we want those issues fixed. So tired of the blind defense of everything. Like I said in another thread.... You can eat steak with a spoon but why would you, of course if SSG supplied the spoon you would be on here saying it was the greatest spoon ever made and we should be proud to eat steak with it.
    Better be careful, you will get labeled a stalker. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    Seriously dude. Stop being such a negative nelly to EVERY post that has news about where the game is heading. So tired of blind condemnation of everything. There are places to post opinions, suggestions, and constructive criticism of the game (sure there are things that need fixing) without ruining these exciting announcements. Lotro is not a steak. I'm happy to have my cookie without thinking "this one is a little burned, that one crumbled, those don't have enough chips in them". At least I have my cookie. I'll suggest to the cook: add more chips, turn down the oven, add more butter. NOT takeyourcookiesandshovethem. The Dev Letter is a celebration of exciting things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I second this -- Especially a 64-bit client for the Mac!
    Mac is dead platform mate. If something even happens (doubtful at this point since wasn't even mentioned in producers letter), it will be for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    The Dev Letter is a celebration of exciting things to come.
    The dev letter is an official letter detailing things they plan to introduce next year. If the things people value most are not on said letter then those people have a perfectly valid reason to voice their complaints.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

Seriously dude. Stop being such a negative nelly to EVERY post that has news about where the game is heading. So tired of blind condemnation of everything. There are places to post opinions, suggestions, and constructive criticism of the game (sure there are things that need fixing) without ruining these exciting announcements. Lotro is not a steak. I'm happy to have my cookie without thinking "this one is a little burned, that one crumbled, those don't have enough chips in them". At least I have my cookie. I'll suggest to the cook: add more chips, turn down the oven, add more butter. NOT takeyourcookiesandshovethem. The Dev Letter is a celebration of exciting things to come.
    Yes it is and I am excited to see the things coming especially Shelob. But, again I did not fire the shot and attack people because they have opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmunney View Post
    You use "we" and "our" A LOT but do not represent all players so just stop!!!!
    PLEASE heed MY begging, whining, and pleading and IGNORE this lie of a post!!!! ALL the items mentioned by this person our a WASTE of resources IN MY OPINION...
    Nothing says "valid" like CAPS and lots of exclamation points!!!!!

Of course I don't represent "all players". No one does. i do, however, represent a substantial portion of fellow players and friends within LOTRO. This is not me screaming a lone opinion from a mountaintop just to hear my own voice.
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

Meanwhile lag and server performance gets worse almost week by week; yet by all means, keep adding more server load, in the way of new areas and extensions.

Reminds me of the last days of nazi Germany, the Luftwaffe's most advanced jet fighter - dragged into position for take-off using a wooden sledge and a pair of oxen.

There are two groups in the LOTRO community: Those who want the things they have to work and those who are content with the fact that they have anything at all.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

All that has been mentioned in the letter sounds fine to me. But my greatest concern about LoTRO is, as others have mentioned, server performance. Dealing with the lag spikes & micro stuttering that has plagued LoTRO since the 'server upgrade' a couple of years ago should be the number one concern of SSG. As much as I love LoTRO I am just embarrassed by the games performance compared to any other MMO I have played.

I hope players are given rewarding repeatable content in place of the Grind-for-the-sake-of-Grind that seems to be the flavor of the year.

I had cancelled a credit card so my auto-renewal of the subscription didn't happen. I am hoping for a reason to re-sub. Enjoyable content over grindy gambling would get me to re-sub.
    Member of the Vocal Minority

Quote Originally Posted by -Nozzie- View Post
    All that has been mentioned in the letter sounds fine to me. But my greatest concern about LoTRO is, as others have mentioned, server performance. Dealing with the lag spikes & micro stuttering that has plagued LoTRO since the 'server upgrade' a couple of years ago should be the number one concern of SSG. As much as I love LoTRO I am just embarrassed by the games performance compared to any other MMO I have played.
    It used to be that, outside of sections of BreeTown, you didnt have any issues until you hit Stangard, and after that, until you moved into Rohan on your Warsteed; but recently I have been getting rubber banding on foot in the Trollshaws, and stuttering in combat all over the low level areas, and in to Moria.

I have had the TBB analysis monitor running for the last week, and there have been NO issues with my line, even while running multi GB up/downloads in the background at 55Mbps; so it is all down to the servers going nap-nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Starstorm01 View Post
    So...... Can we get a date when we can unlock the high elf in store thanks????
    Right now 1000 lp

Mordor is 2495 lp
    "Magic is not for parlor tricks"~ Sparrow Second Degree Master

Couldn't agree more with all points.
    I'm sure it will not be implemented but I would love to have an option to turn off elk mounts the same as we can turn off cosmetic pets. Show a generic horse mount instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenomica. View Post
    I loved everything in the letter except elk mounts...urgh.

I don't recall reading that in the books.

If we allow goats and elks, why not war pigs and battle worms? It will no longer be Middle-earth. LOTRO should veer as far away as possible from The Hobbit movies.

I am firmly against both. I'd have preferred a mule to a goat.

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Mac is dead platform mate.
    Truth.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow, and two on Laurelin
    Malancil CHN, Historian | Calchiar CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite GRD, Armourer | Tarostel HNT, Armsman | Angredeth HNT, Tinker

Sorry Kick, but that's all you do, take shots at people that don't agree with you, very much like wangotinkletoes or denhith or any number of self righteous self centered #######s that have nothing better to do than cause misery for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmanthief View Post
    Sorry Kick, but that's all you do, take shots at people that don't agree with you, very much like wangotinkletoes or denhith or any number of self righteous self centered #######s that have nothing better to do than cause misery for others.
    and again I took no shots at anyone in this thread until rounds were fired in my direction (and some others). I also do not get personal with anything, I try to have discussions. If some people can not handle that and think it is taking shots at them that becomes their issue. I love this game and continue to log in daily, albeit a little less lately due to personal issues and because I am tired of the grinds. I have found solace in other games for a bit but I still come here. This announcement has me excited because it mentions 2 things I want to see and have been waiting for. Laketown / Dale and of course Shelob. But because people are asking about performance and balance and why those two things are not mentioned you all jump of for defense without realizing that the reason people like me ask is because we want the game to last, we want new people to come in. We do not like poor server performance and other issues, but because we are vocal does not mean we hate everything.

Anyways Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a great Holiday season.

We are going to Laketown... Yesss. I wonder what Erebor will hold for us. Hmmm. Smaug statues. :-)

So many people have requested and wondered if we are going to North Mirkwood.. Yesss.

Thank you Sev, Cordovan and all for the great stuff that lies ahead.
    In place of a dark lord, you shall have Queen...... All shall love me and dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Excuse me, but I really have to ask, have you actually seen the Hobbit movies?
    Excuse me, but I thought Lotro was based on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, not on the Hobbit book (or movie). I have no problems with that of course, We could build a complete new game around the travels of Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves.

But even so:

Goats are in the Hobbit movie.
    Elks are in the Lord of the Ring movie.

So they both have an equal right to be a mount in the game I would reckon.

Not only that, I own a 1970s, leather bound hard copy pristine edition of both The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's my precioussss....

The point I am getting at is that the zones as they appear in the game are completely made up. Place names, city names, area names..... things like Anunimas (and the fact it is now a ruin) is mentioned in the books, but the design elements of many things are just purely made up by Turbine, and they have admitted as much. Tolkien didn't have drawings for everything, so they really didn't have much choice to start making up things.... large amounts of the story lines of the Epic quests of Vol I. and Vol II. are also made up. Yes, they follow the books through the lands, but the fellowship never made it to Angmar, or Forochel, and they only spent a relatively short time in Moria before they managed to get out again. The quest lines in the game are pretty much made up from AFTER the fellowship passed through.

I totally understand why they had to do it, and they certainly kept the quest lines in the style of LOTR, using references in the books.... but most of it was completely made up by Turbine. And it is because of that I get a little bit weary of "canon purists" that have no room for anything that wasn't in the books, but was in the movies.

As far as The Hobbit goes.... a LOT of that storyline actually plays out in the Mirkwoods, and they got there through the Gladden Fields.... so it will be interesting to see how they will address that, or whether they even will.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast