We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    Worst topic ever.
    Try again, friend.

The game is not based on ten people going after end-game çorrections to suit your needs.
    When will YOU ALL shut down?

Some how we keep playing. Some how the game keeps evolving, despite your doom blanket. Just play something else if this is SO troubling for you.

Plink plink, although I would rather spend my few coppers for a Deed doubler. Or anything better than Forum Warriors.

And the recent few months of insulting/calling out staff...seriously, they are workers like you and me. You don't shine brighter. They do. In this.
    And thanks from me too! <thumb up>

I'm not playing LOTRO since approx 6 month, but will for sure again, when i can buy mordor with TP (I'm not lifetimer). This game is fantastic, although it has some minor technical problems!

When it shuts down in hopefully 10 years earliest, i hope there will be some kind of a private server download, so that you can experience the thing again at home. I guess chances for that are just minimal to not exisiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    You're uninformed. The video game rights are owned by a different company (Saul Zaentz) than the movie rights (Tolkein Estate). Negotiations with one company doesn't bear in any way on negotiations with the other. Amazon would have to have an actual reason to want the video game rights. And AFAIK they aren't in the game development business.
    Amazon are in fact in the game development business and are at the moment making a sandbox mmo called New World along with other games. (https://games.amazon.com/games)

That said I don't think Lotro will be going any where soon though I suspect that the pace of content release is going to slow even more and the time between expansion releases will increase even more.

I don't understand threads like this. OP pops in, makes a thread to grab attention of the community, sending taunts SSG's way with no evidence or facts at all, and a loosely strung thread of "logic" that starts from baseless premises.
    In fact the "evidence" part is claimed to be something "anyone can see" without stating what it is.
    Then the subsequent taunt of SSG and stirring the pot for the players.
    Pretty weak honestly. Yet these threads keep popping up and have been for years.

The answer is, who cares. People will enjoy and play the game until the end, whether that is next week or in 10 years.

No new MMO's will take it's place. The things that are fun about this old school style MMO will likely never be replicated. The MMO market has moved on to more flashy, combat oriented things. And even then, that market has stalled out bigtime. Big developers have bailed out. Until something new and flashy comes along, everything MMO is "been there, done that" and a rehash of what already exists. meaning that MMO fans will be staying where they are at for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomper4x4 View Post
    I don't understand threads like this. OP pops in, makes a thread to grab attention of the community, sending taunts SSG's way with no evidence or facts at all, and a loosely strung thread of "logic" that starts from baseless premises.
    In fact the "evidence" part is claimed to be something "anyone can see" without stating what it is.
    Then the subsequent taunt of SSG and stirring the pot for the players.
    Pretty weak honestly. Yet these threads keep popping up and have been for years.

The answer is, who cares. People will enjoy and play the game until the end, whether that is next week or in 10 years.

No new MMO's will take it's place. The things that are fun about this old school style MMO will likely never be replicated. The MMO market has moved on to more flashy, combat oriented things. And even then, that market has stalled out bigtime. Big developers have bailed out. Until something new and flashy comes along, everything MMO is "been there, done that" and a rehash of what already exists. meaning that MMO fans will be staying where they are at for a good while.
    'well lets just see

• No 64 bit client, client being so unstable now
    • bad servers that are laggy messes. I know lagging while flying kites in the shire is no biggie for having skill lag when alone in ered luin deeding on spiders is no good, and makes players not want to advance. I know if I started Lotro today and encountered the lag I see before I get to lvl 20, the game would be deleted all ready
    • High Elf not included as basic part of Mordor even though all advertisements and communications blatantly show it as part of Mordor, but we misunderstood (the basic it is your fault argument Lotro has been doing for ages)
    • Mordor being released as a buggy mess with majority of the known issues in the beta 1 build still on the live servers
    • Pay to win gear system introduced with Mordor driving players away
    • Mordor not available for Lotro points, people ACTUALLY GETTING REFUNDS and leaving the game
    • Mordor instance cluster having a total of 2 instances and 1 raid. Raid is still not on live and 1 instance is broken
    • to make the instance fiasco better, they are introducing locks on those 2 instances and nerfing the gear in favor of a lootbox key buy so a brand new instance BRAND NEW will be worthless and most players never bothered to enter because of the knowledge it was broken
    • removing ash currency from landscape drops "cause it is a unintended bug" yet... some people with a brain did basic math and saw that if you ash every piece of quest gear you do not even make enough ash to barter for the cheapest piece of 112 gear so their "it was an unintended bug" excuse does not sell water... again those of us with 10% of a brain can see this a blatant push to sell more lootbox keys, and all those people who had points and were waiting for it, now have no way to gear when they come back, so would you pay for content just to have to pay for gear? Those of us with common sense say nah and spend money elsewhere
    • Communication at one of its lowest points in 10 years and that is saying A LOT
    • Older content like Minas Tirith completely unplayable for a lot of players but since the devs move on it will most likely never ever be optimized correctly

Are those enough reasons?

But darn those SSG cookies must be good for people to be defending them so hard right now

Quote Originally Posted by Stomper4x4 View Post
    LMAO really, hmmmm that's funny cause from what I have seen tons of players have left this game because of all the BS.

Gotta love posts like these from people who continue living in fantasy land that there is nothing wrong with this game & everything is all hunky dory.

Since you tried, no, those are not enough.
    Re-read your points. Some facts, some opinions. And mostly stuff we already know.
    I guess I am lucky to not have the game breaking lag that is sooooo terrible.

In the ENTIRE game, ALL the ways you can play and enjoy the game, that list looks kind of whiny, complaining for the sake of complaining.

Nowhere near reasons for a company to announce when it is shutting down.

There must be other games worth playing? Ah, but here we are.

I don't usually respond to taunts but I never got any cookies. I just really like playing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    'well lets just see

• Mordor instance cluster having a total of 2 instances and 1 raid. Raid is still not on live and 1 instance is broken
    Yeah a only a few instances and Raid not live yet don't matter cause look back at RoR expansion raids came later then instances so nothing new there.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Yeah a only a few instances and Raid not live yet don't matter cause look back at RoR expansion raids came later then instances so nothing new there.
    Umm no

And that is fine but we also got more than 3 total with an expansion was the point and having one of those broken and being made obsolete the day it is fixed is a joke within itself.

Isengard
    2 Raids (1 available at launch)
    1 6 man
    2 3 mans

All available 3 months after launch

5 total instances

Riders of Rohan
    3 raids
    2 3 mans
    1 6 man

All available within 3 months of launch
    5 total instances

Helms Deep
    6 Epic Battles ranging from solo to raid size (I personnaly do not like them)
    All available at launch

Mordor
    1 3 man
    1 Broken 6 man

released 3 months after launch

1 raid not yet released almost 4 months after launch

So total 3 instances and and 2 of them a re receiving locks which we have not had on 3 mans and 6 mans since Carn Dum. Hmm wonder if maybe they want people to buy lootbox keys instead of running instances

Seems to me, that threads like this pop up just before another expansion is due or it has been a long time since the last update and the next, like with 21.3. I can see the OP's point; fewer and fewer people are logging in and it drives monitoring organizations/sites/blogs/etc to reflect a smaller and smaller active population. From that, some people draw conclusions that are accurate on the limited data, but in reality this data is misleading. Causing the less experienced to do the Chicken Little routine. These people do not understand or know that what is happening is normal, it is part of the cycle. This is not to say that a particular games player base does not shrink over time, it does.

Nonetheless, the OP's post is alarmist. However, I believe this is based on their inexperience with the normal life cycle of online games. For example, Everquest, the first 3D MMORPG. It was released in March 1999, I started playing in December 2000 (stopped playing 2008/2009) , even then there were threads proclaiming EQ was in a death spiral; not many, but they were there and growing. Jump forward to today, EQ is still viable, they are still releasing expansions, with one due next month, that is 18 years. A smaller player base, yes, but still profitable. Daybreak Games is still producing content for EQ. LOTRO is doing the same thing and will continue as long as there is a profit coming in. They are still producing expansions and content, therefore LOTRO is profitable, if profitable then LOTRO will continue.

The point, do not jump to conclusions from limited and often misleading data, look at the whole picture, you will have a greater chance of being right.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    'well lets just see

• No 64 bit client, client being so unstable now
    Have they stated they've given up on this? That'd bum me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian.S View Post
    However this next cycle SSG will have very stiff competition for that very license. There is no way if challenged SSG will outbid a competitor determined to have it. Amazon will have that license. There is no way they wont. 250 to 300 million for Tolkien rights for a new tv series. The game's license will be a token gift to Amazon. Just purchasing the tv series rights at such a price means Amazon is going BIG.
    You are dramatically overestimating the value, relevance, and footprint of this game. It's on no one's radar at this point. You'd have to have an idea of what merits the attention of investors at one of the world's biggest companies, I guess, to know that taking time out of their day to turn this title into a financial asset would be like Bridgewater buying up shares in your local corner store. Hyperbole, but you get my point.

Lotro among MMO's is certainly obscure, and MMO's within the gaming industry are becoming more and more obscure as well. Maybe there will be a resurgence when a major developer actually decides to innovate instead of recreating the 100th quest/grind/quest/grind title. One can only hope!

Here's an overview from Enchanted Learning:

In about 5 billion years from now, the sun will begin to die.

As the Sun grows old, it will expand. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core will contract and the outer layers will expand, cool, and become less bright. It will become a red giant star.

After this phase, the outer layers of the Sun will continue to expand. As this happens, the core will contract; the helium atoms in the core will fuse together, forming carbon atoms and releasing energy. The core will then be stable since the carbon atoms are not further compressible.

Then the outer layers of the Sun drift off into space, forming a planetary nebula (a planetary nebula has nothing to do with planets), exposing the core.

Most of its mass will go to the nebula. The remaining Sun will cool and shrink; it will eventually be only a few thousand miles in diameter!

The star is now a white dwarf, a stable star with no nuclear fuel. It radiates its left-over heat for billions of years. When its heat is all dispersed, it will be a cold, dark black dwarf - essentially a dead star (perhaps replete with diamonds, highly compressed carbon).

It is likely that when the sun dies we will have to evaluate our ability to continue developing the game.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Best response ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post

As the Sun grows old, it will expand. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core will contract and the outer layers will expand, cool, and become less bright. It will become a red giant star.

After this phase, the outer layers of the Sun will continue to expand. As this happens, the core will contract; the helium atoms in the core will fuse together, forming carbon atoms and releasing energy. The core will then be stable since the carbon atoms are not further compressible.

Then the outer layers of the Sun drift off into space, forming a planetary nebula (a planetary nebula has nothing to do with planets), exposing the core.

Most of its mass will go to the nebula. The remaining Sun will cool and shrink; it will eventually be only a few thousand miles in diameter!

The star is now a white dwarf, a stable star with no nuclear fuel. It radiates its left-over heat for billions of years. When its heat is all dispersed, it will be a cold, dark black dwarf - essentially a dead star (perhaps replete with diamonds, highly compressed carbon).

It is likely that when the sun dies we will have to evaluate our ability to continue developing the game.

Cordovan! Eglerio!
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

When the world ends we won't care much about the game closing. I think people are more interested in scenarios when the game closes despite the world not ending.

Actually, if I recall correctly the outer layers will expand to consume Mercury, Venus, and get to Earth, so I think we're screwed well before the contraction and ultimate death of the sun. Maybe we've got another 5 billion, but don't go presuming those last 2.5 billion

Cordovan.... Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post
    When the world ends we won't care much about the game closing. I think people are more interested in scenarios when the game closes despite the world not ending.
    Please ban this person^

Hahahahaha

Thanks Cord - you just made my day!

Nevermind that asteroid next year!
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"

Yes, but what sun-stage is the 64 bit client development in?

Is it a sun - alive and well?
    A red giant - cooling
    A white dwarf - still a glimmer of hope?
    A black dwarf - dead.

<3 Cordovan!
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), Mileirien (Warden), Milirien (Minstrel), Milafarien (Hunter), Ariestir (Rune-keeper) etc
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!) + other accounts
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/184766484880526/

And even as the Sun cools, there will still be some players (by that time highly advanced AIs, perhaps, or ethereal beings with no shape or form) calling out for class balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Yes, but what sun-stage is the 64 bit client development in?

Is it a sun - alive and well?
    A red giant - cooling
    A white dwarf - still a glimmer of hope?
    A black dwarf - dead.

If memory serves, the last thing about a 64 bit LOTRO was, they were looking into it and that nothing was decided.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Frankly I am a bit disappointed that you guys shy away from a challenge...
    "Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast