We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a revision in the Signature Image rules for the LOTRO forums?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 31.03%
  • No

40 68.97%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Signature Guideline Changes?

It's been a year or so since I last brought this up, but I wanted to see if there were any changes in the general sentiment of the community...

In recent weeks I've had to deal with a fair number of reported posts from people asking me to remove larger-than-allowed signature images, or images in .gif format that included animations. It seems people continue to want larger images in their signatures, and possibly add gifs. What do you think?

Here's the current rules dating back to 2013:

Images should be no larger than 125 pixels high, and no wider than 350 pixels wide.

ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMATED IMAGES OR VIDEO OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED.

Guidelines to follow. (As sadly we're already starting to look like the Vegas Strip).

Signature Guidelines

• You may link to one (1) image in your signature.
    • Images may not be larger than 350 pixels wide x 125 pixels high.
    • Images should be as small as possible (File size).
    • No animated images of any kind. Period. No exceptions.
    • No videos of any kind. Period. No exceptions.
    • Signatures must relate to LOTRO (no Xbox live gamer tags, etc).
    • Signatures must not be ‘billboards’ for your site. (You may add a simple link in the standard font size).
    • Must comply with the Community Guidelines.
    • Text should not exceed 4 lines with no image or 2 lines with an image.

We'll remove any animated images we see and if it continues to be an issue we will simply disable the ability to have images in your signatures.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Those guidelines seem a bit too ancient (and I wasn't at all aware that my current banner was against them when I made it...)

Personally, I support the retention of no animated gifs/videos policy as I find them a distracting annoyance. LOTRO relatedness also -naturally- makes sense.

800 or at least 640 px would be a much better, up to date maximum size limit than the current one. Vertical maximum size could be restricted to no more than 300 not to detriment easy reading without a lot of unnecessary scrolling.

4 lines maximum rule can be relaxed a bit (yours has 5 ) maybe enforcing Normal font size.

To sum up my personal subjective opinion: Yes to larger images, no to animated gifs.

Landroval: Kibilturg (Watchers of Elendil); Taurunion, Erohtar (Taters and Traders)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)

My opinion:

Rules as above but with following changes:

• upgrade icons to 150x150, and allow user uploads.
    • allow banners 486 x 60 pixels, but no higher than that. The "straight out of archet" huge banner was really annoying. (this is a standard banner size for forum/web specifications)

Here is a good reason to never allow GIF's, because someone is going to do it..... http://images.uncyclomedia.co/uncycl...99/Seizure.gif - not image tagged on purpose.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I like signatures with pictures of LoTR and LoTRO related, such as characters and kinships and the game itself, as long as the size is not too big.

Let people invest their time in the game and show off for it please. Those rules seem to be too ancient as someone else mentioned.

OOPS...

It seems my signature may technically be in violation of the guidelines...(specifically bullet item 6...depending on interpretation, of course).
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Images should be no larger than 125 pixels high, and no wider than 350 pixels wide.

ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMATED IMAGES OR VIDEO OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED.

Guidelines to follow. (As sadly we're already starting to look like the Vegas Strip).

Signature Guidelines

You may link to one (1) image in your signature.
    Images may not be larger than 350 pixels wide x 125 pixels high.
    Images should be as small as possible (File size).
    No animated images of any kind. Period. No exceptions.
    No videos of any kind. Period. No exceptions.
    Signatures must relate to LOTRO (no Xbox live gamer tags, etc).
    Signatures must not be ‘billboards’ for your site. (You may add a simple link in the standard font size).
    Must comply with the Community Guidelines.
    Text should not exceed 4 lines with no image or 2 lines with an image.

We'll remove any animated images we see and if it continues to be an issue we will simply disable the ability to have images in your signatures.
    These guidelines were a direct result of the Signature images provided by Turbine -- These automatically updated - Level, Rank, Kinship, Server, Class, Crafting Tier - from the Lorebook or Data.lotro.com.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Somewhat wider images should not be a problem, as long as they are not so wide as to require sideways scrolling in the browser.
    A slight increase in allowed height of images/allowed rows of text should also not be a problem.
    Restrictions on animations and videos should remain - those can be highly annoying.

The post two above me is a good reason why to enforce the signature size rules; that is way too big (height) and obnoxious. That information could easily be condensed and still look nice, there is no reason for it to be that huge.

On the plus side, we can check the option to hide signatures so we don't have to see stuff like that. On the minus side, it obviously only works when logged in and folks don't always log in.

I vote keep the rules as they are, and enforce them.
    R.I.P. Big E

If you have a set of rules then act on them.
    If you want to relax the rules or change the rules, that is fine but be consistent with
    your output. You and a lot of your fellows read every post in these pages and let the
    rules be flouted by some and not others. I have had a my sig altered in the past and
    on the very next post someone has the same and nothing happens.

So, pick your ruleset and don't leave it to reports to enforce. Be consistent as this
    is what most folks want.

Personally, I enjoy the freedom for folks to express themselves with design and so
    forth but this comes at a huge cost to yourself to manage it. I would prefer you were
    doing something more constructive.
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

I don't want animated gifs for sure...
    Thorgull lvl 105 Champion - Malendar lvl 115 Warden - Estelldion lvl 101 LoreMaster - Ballduin lvl 36 Runekeeper - Nharduil lvl 17 Minstrel All on Evernight

Malenborn - Warden & Athanandor - Hunter on Crickhollow (Casual Wanderers)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    The post two above me is a good reason why to enforce the signature size rules; that is way too big (height) and obnoxious. That information could easily be condensed and still look nice, there is no reason for it to be that huge.
    Agree with this.

I would also comment that, in my humble personal opinion, the image in the sig of post 2 is far too big. It's a banner - why have that in a sig?

I don't use a sig, but I'd like to see...
    No animations
    Restricted height
    Restrict width - should fit mobile browser in portrait mode.

It's so comforting to know that our friendly blue tags are concerned about such important things as forum signatures while the game teeters towards implosion with the ash system.

It would be great if we could get some developer acknowledgement and dialogue, around threads such as this:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...uted-Even-More

Quote Originally Posted by AikiW0lf View Post
    It's so comforting to know that our friendly blue tags are concerned about such important things as forum signatures while the game teeters towards implosion with the ash system.
    Please keep in mind that not all blue-names are equal, nor are they all developers. Cordovan is concerned about forum signatures since managing the forums would be part of his job as community manager.
    The design of the ash system and loot in general is not part of his job - there are other people who are responsible for that.

Or to put it another way: Just because there may be a serious problem with one aspect of the game does not mean that everybody in the company should devote all their time to solving that one problem (regardless of if they have something to contribute or not) while neglecting their normal duties.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    Please keep in mind that not all blue-names are equal, nor are they all developers. Cordovan is concerned about forum signatures since managing the forums would be part of his job as community manager.
    The design of the ash system and loot in general is not part of his job - there are other people who are responsible for that.

Or to put it another way: Just because there may be a serious problem with one aspect of the game does not mean that everybody in the company should devote all their time to solving that one problem (regardless of if they have something to contribute or not) while neglecting their normal duties.
    Ertr, you're absolutely right, of course. The rest of the player population however struggles to get recognition of these issues that we fear will end the game. A number of players have canceled subscriptions outright, others are deciding not to renew. Unless we talk about these problems, where developer's and representatives of SSG are known to be looking, what else are we left to do to seek relief to these issues?

On balance, they seem far more important forum signatures.

I like the old rules. If the signatures are smaller, then you can better read the forum. Especially if you are not logged in, because in this case you can not hide signatures. Images in signatures could be a bit wider - but not higher.

In the space between worlds, thinking, exploring, learning, dreaming, creating and always passing on
    I personally would say no to larger images, and definitely no to animated images of any description.

I think, however, we should be able to have a slight relax on the text limits.

I'd say that a height limit should still be in place regardless; The signature earlier in this thread that is almost twenty lines high due to creating lots of blank space is, to me personally, obnoxious and uncalled for. An absolute max of ten lines, for text only signatures, is a fair limit, i feel.

To Cord,

I think you'll find that a majority are voting no despite posting in favour of small revisions and updates, because the way that you phrased your opening post suggested that you were polling for a revision to allow large images and animations - it looks like most voters do not want those at all, but many would appreciate smaller, more subtle revisions and updates to varying degrees.
    Rider, Fighter, Virgin, Lover; Watcher, Chaser, Bearer of Pain.
    Victim tormented, Abused and Broken; Rise from the ashes and Hunt once again.
    And Vengeance Be Thy Oath.

I don't think your signature should be larger than an average post (let's say 5 or 6 lines).
    There is no need for flashy animation/video.

Maybe what sigs need is a combination of:
    Max pic size h/w
    Max # lines
    Max character count

If you can't make it fit within those parameters, start editing.
    (plus the usual community rules pertaining to content)
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    No change. I see no reason to allow larger images in signatures and definitely no animated ones.
    Tolella Hlothran ~ Minstrel ~ 115
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

Quote Originally Posted by AikiW0lf View Post
    Ertr, you're absolutely right, of course. The rest of the player population however struggles to get recognition of these issues that we fear will end the game. A number of players have canceled subscriptions outright, others are deciding not to renew. Unless we talk about these problems, where developer's and representatives of SSG are known to be looking, what else are we left to do to seek relief to these issues?

On balance, they seem far more important forum signatures.
    Oh, I am not saying those issues should not be discussed or that they are not important.

I am saying it is possible for SSG to and us players to discuss and work on more than one problem at a time. (Yes, really!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    It seems people continue to want larger images in their signatures, and possibly add gifs. What do you think?
    Larger signatures and animated gif are very distracting , so please keep the current rules and be consistent. I also noticed more and more people having custom avatars and titles , but this option is not available to everyone ( my guess it that it is done by request ). It would be more fair if you offer the same option to all users, as I said consistency is really necessary if you want the community to feel involved on the forums. It is nice for you to ask about the signatures, but at the end of the day it is you that need to make a decision, and as you know, not everyone will be happy
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    I also noticed more and more people having custom avatars and titles , but this option is not available to everyone ( my guess it that it is done by request ). It would be more fair if you offer the same option to all users, as I said consistency is really necessary if you want the community to feel involved on the forums.
    You have to donate 10$ to ExtraLife to get a costum avatar. I don't think this option should be available to everyone. It's a little "Thank you" for donating.

optional

As per the general profile settings, showing other character signatures is optional. I am indifferent on this topic.

Some tavern, somewhere in the Shire, lost the keys to my horse
    . . . shudders . . .

When the sig is deeper (vertically) or much larger than your average post, that's a problem. You want to show off something graphical? Fine, make a post for that. But don't make us suffer though repeat after repeat in your sig.
    Ogmios ~ Davidge ~ Eriuwen ~ Kainoa ~ Braidfoot

I see nothing wrong with having a signature that is reasonable. The repetitiveness does not bother me. Call me active on too many forums that allow overtly outrageous signatures, but the one I see here are not too obtrusive.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast