We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How about adding a Gatherer vocation?

Heya,

During one of my travels in middle earth, I realized a "gatherer" vocation is a much needed trade.
    I was walking around many, many nodes of ore that my main really needs and because he is a Woodworker, he can't pick up ore.

"yeah, well, why won't you use one of your alts that CAN dig up ore?"
    I can, but it'll take ages to level the alt to grind for end game nodes/ore. Quite honestly, I don't have the time to invest in that.

This gave me the idea of an additional vocation - the "Gatherer". A unique play type that will allow the player to, well.. gather.
    The three things you'll be able to do with it are:
    1. gather wood (forester)
    2. gather ore (prospector)
    3. and last but not least to farm.

While the ability to farm is not really considered as gathering, it will maintain the neutrality of this profession; the player will not be able to craft anything. This will be the equalizer factor to it - you can gather anything as much as you want when appropriately leveled, but you will not be able to craft anything with it. You can either sell it at the AH for other players or put it in your shared vault to have one of your alts use it.

This will solve a lot of logistics for players, like myself, who can not afford dedicating hours to grind&level for materials.

Do you think such an addition can work?
    What say you?

"Dont cry - I'll pop a token for you!"
    elen sila lumenn omentielvo

Quote Originally Posted by asimon View Post
    Heya,

During one of my travels in middle earth, I realized a "gatherer" vocation is a much needed trade.
    I was walking around many, many nodes of ore that my main really needs and because he is a Woodworker, he can't pick up ore.

Do you think such an addition can work?
    What say you?
    While I have no issue with your suggestion, you do know you can have a vocation as 'Explorer' which allows Prospecting (metals) & Forester (wood) as well as Tailor. This vocation allow you to 'vacuum' up any nodes you see except Artifacts.

If there was a true 'Gatherer' vocation it should include those three types of items found on the landscape - not farming which can only be done in certain locations.
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"

you have forgoten AH
    you may buy what you need
    somehow the rest of should be able to put a hand in your treasure

so for serious now i d say no to this proposal just for the economy of the game!
    i d like to see a new proffecion as much i like to see a new class for the H elves
    but not the gathering thing you r proposing!
    maybe a craftman, carpenter(for boats)/builder(for custom additions to houses)/gatherer(of rock n stones for the builder).
    you may read previous threads of this proposal
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Yeah, if they were to make this, the third shouldn't be farming, it should be scholar, so you can harvest scholar nodes too.

Personally, I think they should offer a "Jack of all Trades" skill option in the Lotro store that allows a character to perform all crafts on that character (for use with the universal tool set), as well as a multi-guilded character option, but that's just me.
    Guild-Maxed Westemnet(T10) Metalsmith, (T10) Prospector, (T10) Tailor
    Power-Leveling Newbies Since Update 7! ...Now with Multi-Boxing!!! :D

New Vocations

I've always thought a cool vocation in the game would something like "Animal Husbandry". Someone that could raise livestock and either sell the live animals, or sell the meat or the milk to a cook. The time factor for raising them might be tricky to design, but it would complete the loop between farmer and cook and the cook wouldn't have to buy so many items from the Supplier....oops, that may be why it doesn't exist...haha

Quote Originally Posted by Illepokok View Post
    I've always thought a cool vocation in the game would something like "Animal Husbandry". Someone that could raise livestock and either sell the live animals, or sell the meat or the milk to a cook. The time factor for raising them might be tricky to design, but it would complete the loop between farmer and cook and the cook wouldn't have to buy so many items from the Supplier....oops, that may be why it doesn't exist...haha
    yes im in for this!
    in n other thead i proposeds this same thing as a new hobby along with horse breeding
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    yes im in for this!
    in n other thead i proposeds this same thing as a new hobby along with horse breeding
    Hengstacer Farm has a monopoly on horse breeding in Middle Earth, and they are unlikely to give that up without a fight. Watch your back!

I can't any type of animal breeding working in-game, unless the outcome of the crafting (or hobby) is a pet. Players are unlikely to pay for milk or meat from another player when those cooking ingredients are available from vendors and are relatively cheap. Buying a horse is an early game gold-sink, or an encouragement to buy a store item that grants you a horse and the riding ability. They're not going to give up those options to crafters. If the animal breeding hobby/vocation yielded a cosmetic pet (chicken, pig, dog, cat, etc.), then at least is wouldn't step on too many profit-generating toes at SSG.

All that being said...crafting is no longer a priority for the devs in this game. Update 21 was the first "major" crafting update we'd gotten in almost 2 years, and it is half-a$$ed and grindy. We've had one hobby, and only one hobby, since the inception of hobbies. There have been multiple requests and suggestions for additional hobbies over the years, some of which have even been acknowledged by Blue Names as interesting, or things they're "looking into". We still have one hobby.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -Tolkien
    "No matter where you go, there you are." -Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Ride_the_Train View Post
    Hengstacer Farm has a monopoly on horse breeding in Middle Earth, and they are unlikely to give that up without a fight. Watch your back!

I can't any type of animal breeding working in-game, unless the outcome of the crafting (or hobby) is a pet. Players are unlikely to pay for milk or meat from another player when those cooking ingredients are available from vendors and are relatively cheap. Buying a horse is an early game gold-sink, or an encouragement to buy a store item that grants you a horse and the riding ability. They're not going to give up those options to crafters. If the animal breeding hobby/vocation yielded a cosmetic pet (chicken, pig, dog, cat, etc.), then at least is wouldn't step on too many profit-generating toes at SSG.

All that being said...crafting is no longer a priority for the devs in this game. Update 21 was the first "major" crafting update we'd gotten in almost 2 years, and it is half-a$$ed and grindy. We've had one hobby, and only one hobby, since the inception of hobbies. There have been multiple requests and suggestions for additional hobbies over the years, some of which have even been acknowledged by Blue Names as interesting, or things they're "looking into". We still have one hobby.
    i agree in everything mate!
    well i saw all this mostly as a hobby or if you may produce something would be mostly for own use.......
    already have made a similar item, its the bee hives from BB adventures where you can get honey........
    in the end, i dont see them creating a new hooby at all! i dont see them creating any thing that would not bring in money fast!
    we have paid for expansion n still they r not close to release the raid while the rest of the content its so bugged,
    with many more mistakes, in the new systems they ve created n in crafting!
    they r so behind in income n they lack human resources either!
    its their mistake the way the game went not ours!
    on the other hand we may still dream in our favourite game n ask about things we d like to see!