We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation LotR TV series in the works

Amazon.com is in talks with Warner Brothers and the Tolkien Estate to develop a TV series set in Middle-earth for Amazon Studios. This is REALLY big if the Tolkien Estate is participating. They have the ability to license materials from the Legendarium and allow a far more elaborate and detailed story, whenever and wherever the actual series is set in Middle-earth.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord...on-1202606519/
    The studio and the Tolkien estate have been shopping a series based on the classic fantasy novels and their assortment of hobbits, wizards, and warriors, sparking a competitive situation from which Amazon has emerged as the frontrunner. Representatives for Amazon and Warner Bros. declined to comment.

Just saw this and was gonna make a thread about it. This is something I've been wanting for a long time. I think it could be pretty cool.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Since the Tolkien Estate is reported to be involved, I wonder if the often clueless entertainment/television press is reporting this as a LotR-based TV series when in fact it might be based on The Silmarillion. Then again, the often clueless press may be mistaken about the Tolkien Estate's involvement.

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Since the Tolkien Estate is reported to be involved, I wonder if the often clueless entertainment/television press is reporting this as a LotR-based TV series when in fact it might be based on The Silmarillion. Then again, the often clueless press may be mistaken about the Tolkien Estate's involvement.

--H
    Definitely more symptoms of the same misinformation that the Estate really has any actual control over the LOTR licenses. Until Christopher Tolkien himself says otherwise, my rule of thumb is to immediately replace "JRR Tolkien Estate" misnomer with Middle-Earth Enterprises.

--H
    "Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is said by sources with knowledge of the situation to be personally involved in the negotiations"

Don't be so harsh, "sources with knowledge of the situation" sounds pretty authoritative to me
    Last edited by Wolfhelm; Nov 05 2017 at 02:05 AM.

I'm a bit divided on whether or not this is a good idea. While I love the LOTR movies, they did get a few things wrong, and important things at that, and yet, on the other hand, the story of LOTR lends itself more to a TV series than to movies, precisely because of how much important stuff the movies had to either cut or alter.

My concern is that many might have become too jaded from "Game of Thrones," or worse, that a TV series maker might end-up making a darker version of LOTR that doesn't quite do justice to the story- and yet... well, maybe playing-up the darker elements of Tolkien's work would paint it in a fairer light somehow.

Let me explain.

The idea that LOTR is about "good guys versus bad guys" is a complete rip-off misperception that has been spread across the globe largely because of those movies. Actually, its about many groups who aren't so good. We have Elves who are descended-from or actual Kinslayers (Rivendell; Galadriel), we have the Rohirrim and the Gondorians who have been in decline and at war with the East for hundreds of years with all sorts of problems, including the mess between Rohan and Dunland at Helm's Deep and the mess of the Kin-Strife between Eldacar and Castamir in Gondor, the folk of Lake-Town were led by a miser, the Dwarves were too greedy and kept getting themselves in trouble from Orcs to dragons, and the Balrog, and the Shire-folk are often embroiled in pettyness, to the point of not trusting folk who hail from different towns that are always deemed "a tidy way, far yonder." The folk of Buckland regard the folk of Hobbiton with great suspicion and vice-versa. The folk of Bree are equally suspicious. This is the world, after all, where Turin Turambar accidentally falls in love with his sister by a dark fate, and in the end, after thwarting the dragon, Turin must do-himself-in on his own sword because his sister learned the truth and leaped-off of a waterfall.

Tolkien's story... was of a eucatastrophe, a moment of sudden brightness in the midst of shadow- where... troubles abound -everywhere- and the ultimate victory over Sauron was something pretty much unlooked-for.

The Rohirric Realm is corrupt, lead by a wizened, old King who is being poisoned and manipulated by his twisted adviser. Now, notice how I just put, in GoT-ish terms, the precise, lore-accurate situation that Tolkien describes in Rohan, between Theoden and Wormtongue and the Realm at large. Before Martin's unsavory Council members, there was Grima son of Galmud, who was mainly called "The Wormtongue" by those who didn't like him or who saw-through his schemes. Could a TV series do far more justice to these nuances than the movie did? Sure- it absolutely could- ---if its done right---. And that's my concern- I've been jaded by the attempt at "The Hobbit"- and I'm concerned that the series, if it gets off the ground, would end-up yet another pale imitation of the books. Is there an opportunity to get things right? Yes. But it goes both ways- also an opportunity to mess-it-up.

A series -could- do well in terms of... presenting Denethor's situation with Boromir and Faramir in a more drawn-out way. My concern is that, if it is done right, Frodo won't even leave the Shire until the season finale of season 1- because there's just so much to detail and flesh-out to bring Middle-earth to life- and there's much that happens before Frodo leaves. There's the attack on Osgiliath, there's Boromir's journey northward, there's Gandalf heading to Minas Tirith to find the old records, Aragorn's hunt for Gollum, Gandalf's interrogation of Gollum in northern Mirkwood, there's the Nine on the prowl, there's Saruman's fall and corruption, there's... a lot of characters to introduce viewers to. If these elements are cut -AGAIN-, then why bother? The films cut them- from Gildor Inglorion to Tom Bombadil- and we have already seen the results...
    Last edited by Phantion; Nov 05 2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

--H
    I've heard second hand a few times that this is another LOTR adaption, but only through various online "journalists". There's hope for something like the Silmarilion, but odds are leaning toward LOTR.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    I've heard second hand a few times that this is another LOTR adaption, but only through various online "journalists". There's hope for something like the Silmarilion, but odds are leaning toward LOTR.
    All of them are using the same copy/paste quote from Variety, whom mistakenly said Estate instead of MEE. It's very likely something based on the expanded parts of LOTR, but to not confuse article readers they just dumb that down to "based on LOTR."

Something I always wished to happen but depends on the way they do it!
    If it goes forward just hope they respect the material and try be faithful as possible and make it as epic as it deserves \o/
    Rucagorn, The White Guardian - Portugal
    fellowshipguardians.guildlaunch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    I'm a bit divided on whether or not this is a good idea. While I love the LOTR movies, they did get a few things wrong, and important things at that, and yet, on the other hand, the story of LOTR lends itself more to a TV series than to movies, precisely because of how much important stuff the movies had to either cut or alter.

My concern is that many might have become too jaded from "Game of Thrones," or worse, that a TV series maker might end-up making a darker version of LOTR that doesn't quite do justice to the story- and yet... well, maybe playing-up the darker elements of Tolkien's work would paint it in a fairer light somehow.

Let me explain.

The idea that LOTR is about "good guys versus bad guys" is a complete rip-off misperception that has been spread across the globe largely because of those movies. Actually, its about many groups who aren't so good. We have Elves who are descended-from or actual Kinslayers (Rivendell; Galadriel), we have the Rohirrim and the Gondorians who have been in decline and at war with the East for hundreds of years with all sorts of problems, including the mess between Rohan and Dunland at Helm's Deep and the mess of the Kin-Strife between Eldacar and Castamir in Gondor, the folk of Lake-Town were led by a miser, the Dwarves were too greedy and kept getting themselves in trouble from Orcs to dragons, and the Balrog, and the Shire-folk are often embroiled in pettyness, to the point of not trusting folk who hail from different towns that are always deemed "a tidy way, far yonder." The folk of Buckland regard the folk of Hobbiton with great suspicion and vice-versa. The folk of Bree are equally suspicious. This is the world, after all, where Turin Turambar accidentally falls in love with his sister by a dark fate, and in the end, after thwarting the dragon, Turin must do-himself-in on his own sword because his sister learned the truth and leaped-off of a waterfall.

Tolkien's story... was of a eucatastrophe, a moment of sudden brightness in the midst of shadow- where... troubles abound -everywhere- and the ultimate victory over Sauron was something pretty much unlooked-for.

The Rohirric Realm is corrupt, lead by a wizened, old King who is being poisoned and manipulated by his twisted adviser. Now, notice how I just put, in GoT-ish terms, the precise, lore-accurate situation that Tolkien describes in Rohan, between Theoden and Wormtongue and the Realm at large. Before Martin's unsavory Council members, there was Grima son of Galmud, who was mainly called "The Wormtongue" by those who didn't like him or who saw-through his schemes. Could a TV series do far more justice to these nuances than the movie did? Sure- it absolutely could- ---if its done right---. And that's my concern- I've been jaded by the attempt at "The Hobbit"- and I'm concerned that the series, if it gets off the ground, would end-up yet another pale imitation of the books. Is there an opportunity to get things right? Yes. But it goes both ways- also an opportunity to mess-it-up.

A series -could- do well in terms of... presenting Denethor's situation with Boromir and Faramir in a more drawn-out way. My concern is that, if it is done right, Frodo won't even leave the Shire until the season finale of season 1- because there's just so much to detail and flesh-out to bring Middle-earth to life- and there's much that happens before Frodo leaves. There's the attack on Osgiliath, there's Boromir's journey northward, there's Gandalf heading to Minas Tirith to find the old records, Aragorn's hunt for Gollum, Gandalf's interrogation of Gollum in northern Mirkwood, there's the Nine on the prowl, there's Saruman's fall and corruption, there's... a lot of characters to introduce viewers to. If these elements are cut -AGAIN-, then why bother? The films cut them- from Gildor Inglorion to Tom Bombadil- and we have already seen the results...
    I definitely agree Warner would try to "modernize" LotR. Give characters "edgier" personalities, sharp tongues, all that #### that permeates modern TV shows. They might even change basic characteristics of characters, as is also popular today.
    Goreamir - 115 Captain | Celebourne - 95 Champion | Jinwe - 91 Hunter | Humblefoot - 77 Minstrel | Dorfus - 77 Guardian | Creonath - 58 Warden | Whippit - 40 Burglar | Stormcraban - 38 Loremaster | Thangadir - 37 Runekeeper | Jonly - 32 Beornng | Zongrul - 41 Bank

Amazon officially acquired the rights for a series (and spin-offs) set prior to The Fellowship of the Ring according to this thread citing a Marketwatch report.
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

HOHO lets see what the future holds #_# ... Would be epic VOLUME I of lotro be made into series

breaking-news-amazon-to-produce-a-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series/
    http://www.thelandofshadow.com/break...ngs-tv-series/

amazon-announce-new-tolkien-television-series/
    https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2017/...vision-series/

Press Release
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2316587

Before it was confirmed: (Sean Astin Discusses Middle-earth TV Series)
    http://www.thelandofshadow.com/sean-...rth-tv-series/

Amazon officially acquired the rights for a series (and spin-offs) set prior to The Fellowship of the Ring according to this thread citing a Marketwatch report.
    I'm very curious how they got the rights, assuming MEE still owns them. UNLESS they're talking 1st age. But then saying "prior to the FOTR" is a stretch. Kinda like saying they're making a movie Prior to World War II and have it be the Birth of Christ.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    I'm very curious how they got the rights, assuming MEE still owns them.
    Middle-earth enterprises have the rights to "motion pictures", not television.
    Also, Middle-earth enterprises have the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, not Unfinished Tales, for example.

So, Amazon can make a LotR themed television series about pretty much anything they want (they have an agreement with the Tolkien estate that says they can) as long as they don't turn it into a film or re-make the Jackson films.

i really want this to happen!
    i was dreaming about it since i ve read the books 20 years ago!
    never wanted on movies coz i was pretty sure n i was right that it will be destroyed
    they have to start it from the very begging n include every last detail!!!!
    i hope it will start soon, in 2019 n last 12 seasons!
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Peter Jackson prior to LotR directred splatter horror movies. His only professional movie was Frighteners with Michael J Fox. I wonder how even got the rights. Was it because he'd say "Hello, am Peter Jackson, I live in New Zealand where I would like to shoot the Lord of the Rings." I must say I hated his adaption (giving no heroism to Gimli by making him a simple short gag and giving too much to Legolas by letting him win battles all himself). Aragorn was fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Westnovote View Post
    Middle-earth enterprises have the rights to "motion pictures", not television.
    Also, Middle-earth enterprises have the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, not Unfinished Tales, for example.

So, Amazon can make a LotR themed television series about pretty much anything they want (they have an agreement with the Tolkien estate that says they can) as long as they don't turn it into a film or re-make the Jackson films.
    Again, it's not motion picture rights but LOTR + Hobbit completely, bar the books themselves. Since this is in partnership with Warner Brothers, it's likely using an existing license that NLC has with MEE.

If MEE was just "motion picture" LOTRO wouldn't need a longstanding license with them

Recent update: Amazon is reportedly dropping another $500 million into the production. I'm gonna take this as a good sign that at least they are very serious about this.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/19/amazon-l...ost-expensive/

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Any word if this is leading to the Silmarillion in a series?

That would be where I'd want to start after dropping half a billion.

Edit: I just read the article. I'm disappointed. I will watch what ever it is but,its just beating an old stick for Tolkien fans.

Even if it is the back story leading to the Lord of the Rings,The Silmarillion will be something to behold on any screen.
    I read the other thread then and reread it just now.
    The Silmarillion is just too good of a story to not be made into a movie or series. Sooner or later it will happen.
    Last edited by Christian.S; Mar 20 2018 at 09:22 PM.

Personally, I'm kinda hoping for an 'early days of Aragorn' type thing.
    Cover stuff like his time as Thorongil in Rohan and Gondor, let us see what Denethor was like at his prime before Sauron got into his head and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by TiganBerry View Post
    Personally, I'm kinda hoping for an 'early days of Aragorn' type thing.
    Cover stuff like his time as Thorongil in Rohan and Gondor, let us see what Denethor was like at his prime before Sauron got into his head and all that.
    This is exactly what I would like to see too. Some coverage of his time spent with the other Rangers would be great and maybe we can get live action Elladan and Elrohir.

I just hope it's not some teen bopper thing like the Shannara Chronicles.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I just hope it's not some teen bopper thing like the Shannara Chronicles.
    Wha? You mean you don't want 'Angsty Aragorn and the last of the Emo-Númenóreans'?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast