We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Abyssal Essences for Cooks and Scholars

It is annoying that Cooks and Scholars cannot craft Shadow Essences or Empowered Shadow Essences. However, because the recipes, ingredients, and crafted items are not bound, you can potentially get someone else to craft them for you.

The scheme for upgrading Empowered Shadow essences (the essences themselves, not the boxes) to Abyssal Essences has a fatal flaw. It allows you to barter an Empowered Shadow essence for a Malleable Shadow Essence, which is bound to the character that bartered it. You use that Malleable Shadow Essence in the recipe for the Abyssal Essence.

But there is no Abyssal Essence recipe for Cooks or Scholars. So Cooks and Scholars will not be able to upgrade their Empowered Shadow essences to Abyssal essences.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com

This is an issue a number of us raised in the last beta.
    Malleable Essences need to be BOUND TO ACCOUNT and not to character.
    Knight | Captain | Arkenstone | Rainbows & Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Knight.Arkenstone View Post
    This is an issue a number of us raised in the last beta.
    Malleable Essences need to be BOUND TO ACCOUNT and not to character.
    or even better, make recipes for cook and scholar to craft the abyssal essences!

not that hard rite?

Binding them to account instead of character does not solve the problem. If my account does not have a Doomfold Jeweller, Metalsmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith, or Woodworker, there would still be no way to upgrade them. There is no workaround unless Malleable Shadowed Essences are unbound; with that approach, you wouldn't need to have any Doomfold crafters, assuming you can get someone else to craft them for you.

What is the rationale for discriminating against Cooks and Scholars?

While this is certainly a weird design decision , its really no big deal at all.

Historian/scholar can craft/upgrade essences through weaponsmith , yeoman cook through tailor , and tinker cook through jewellery(duh)...

If you haven't levelled them up , thats another issue : D

Quote Originally Posted by BotLike View Post
    its really no big deal at all.
    I'd love to read the post by the dev who would justify that statement. Just count the number of ingots a Historian/Weaponsmith would need to process to get to Doomfold tier.

This is a new requirement to craft your own essential gear. The only other example I recall are gold crafted relics, and I sell several of the purple ones daily to people who can't craft the gold. If the devs intend to require all players to do top tier crafting, they should say so. Even if they do, there is no reason to discriminate against Scholars and Cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by BotLike View Post
    While this is certainly a weird design decision , its really no big deal at all.

Historian/scholar can craft/upgrade essences through weaponsmith , yeoman cook through tailor , and tinker cook through jewellery(duh)...

If you haven't levelled them up , thats another issue : D
    Actually it is a problem. It’s hard to find mats unless you have alts to craft them. On my server the AH is empty of Doomfold Ingots so no possibility to use Weaponsmith instead of Scholar.

I’ve given up. This issue has been since early Mordor beta and nobody is willing to explain the reasoning behind it.

In today's preview, Malleable Shadow Essences are no longer bound in any way!

Someone who is not a Doomfold Jeweller, Metalsmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith or Woodworker can now barter one of their (bound to account) Empowered Shadow essences for a Malleable Shadow Essence and pass that to an appropriate crafter, who can make the (unbound) Abyssal Essence (box) and pass it back. Assuming they can find someone to help, anyone is now able to upgrade their essences.