We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Abyss of Mordath Raid Feedback

Hi,

So far I can only comment on the trash before the first boss, the first boss itself, and the trash up to the second boss until the rest of the instance is ready.

Abyss of Mordath
    Trash - Trash difficulty is fine, not too easy, but not incredibly hard either. There's a chance to wipe on them. However, like with Dungeons of Naerband, I believe that there are too many trash pulls between the bosses.
    First boss - Unfortunately challenges haven't been put in yet, so can't really say for sure how hard it is. My kinship assumed it was like most typical twin fights and killed them within 10s of each other.
    Bugs for first boss -
    The named NPCs in cages do not leave them. Keep people in combat long after you've killed the two twins/priests/w.e.
    The two bosses seemed to hit very hard even with debuffs. Unsure of how the fight progresses atm so can't say if it's actually too much or not.
    No chest spawned after the bosses were killed, and the caged NPCs did not despawn.

That's all I've got this beta round so far. Other people are more than welcome to post their own feedback/thoughts on the raid and any bugs they might've encountered.
    Arkenstone| Officer of Faded | Altria
    Arkenstone | Leader of Dark Impulse | Telcely
    Original Challenger of Gothmog

I agree, with all the points there.

From my point of view, this should be changed:

- Reduced amount of trash pulls between bosses
    - Reduced damage done by the first boss
    Faded Youtube Channel

Asthma Rank 15 Minstrel
    Original Challenger of the Abyss

Definitely needs less trash waves before first boss. (And between bosses when theres actually multiple bosses)
    Arkenstone - Faded - Original Challenger of the Abyss

Mini-LM-Hunter-RK-Captain-Beorning @ 115

As far as t2 goes , too many trash , but right difficulty! CC is welcome again , pulls need some care.

I am worried about the final trash pull before the first boss.
    Unless we missed something , the ritualists end up spawning too many ghosts and it gets messy.

First boss has barely any mechanics , so no comment there.
    I am guessing the port will be related to some torture thingie and the adds in the cages will come into play but no idea , will wait 2nd beta build.
    The damage from normal hits looks fine and challenging though.

Agreed on the fact that there's too many trash pulls.
    T2 first boss tps seemed manageable actually, though we should see the completed fight first to have a solid opinion on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppetmann View Post
    Agreed on the fact that there's too many trash pulls.
    T2 first boss tps seemed manageable actually, though we should see the completed fight first to have a solid opinion on that.
    Right now it is fine yeah, question is how it's going to look like when the fight will have proper mechanics and adds as intended.
    Faded Youtube Channel

Asthma Rank 15 Minstrel
    Original Challenger of the Abyss

Considering they have probably just made generic stats as of now I don't think it's too worrying to think how much bosses hit as of now. I think their focus was more in lines of lets lay out our idea to what's the space we are dealing with and amount of trash. mechanics, morale, stats on mobs are obviously on very early phases and build is not the usual bullroarer level of readiness .

Yes the trash pulls are too many, get rid of 1 per type of mob group and it might be fine.

Also the Flag in the beginning ports you ahead of the first 4 or 5 mob pulls EVEN when you haven't cleared. Need to address this. The idea is very welcome, it sux to spend 20 mins running after a wipe just to get to where you were; add more spawn points after first boss please! we had to run all the way from the first flag point to the first pull after first boss.

The first boss is hard to say if it was way too easy (it seemed once u learned how to avoid/survive the initial damage) or if it's going to be hard enough since we didnt have the challenge yet. The pets on the cages might play a role but keeping the raid in permacombat for the rest of the raid is not fun.

I loved that we got both kinds of reflects in same pull. Now everyone will have to be aware of those corruptions.

Having to clear one group of mobs just to find a page is a little cheesy, I don't really like this idea because once some players get the page they won't want to waste their time to help others to get it.

Overall, I didnt find the new raid exciting, takes forever to get to the first boss even if you clear wipeless, no challenge yet, it was all separate and tank and spank (please add some mecanic to avoid this), and no loot to see what you can get. Hopefully next build is better.

For context, my feedback on this was from a Tier 1 run of this raid last night. mirkovic posted a video covering a couple portions of it, in the patch notes thread.

In terms of aesthetics and the overall visual impression of the raid, it comes across much like a modern rendition of the Rift of Nurz Ghashu. The place feels vast and dangerous, which is helped by a lot of elevation changes and vertical elements.

Mob mechanics seem decently varied (of particular note being a unique mob requiring around 50 corruption removals to destroy, rather than DPS'ing it down), but there are a lot of mob groups to get through before even reaching the first boss -- the size of the area itself seems enough to handle multiple bosses, and certainly more than the three suggested by auto-bestowed deeds from entering the raid instance. If the number of bosses within the instance does not change, adding a "mini-boss" half-way to each boss would help break this up a bit -- not the sort of encounter which would drop raid-specific loot, but perhaps a fairly decent chance to drop rare or incomparable gear at item level 330 (or potentially higher, on Tier 2) along with Scrolls of Empowerment/Star-lit Crystals, separate from any "raid chest lock" mechanics to encourage running the instance again after completion for that week. A good example of "mini-bosses" would be the Greater Fungal Fumaroles found within Dar Narbugud, encountered before some of the bosses in that raid -- encounters less tough than an actual boss fight, but still possessing unique mechanics making them more dangerous to a raid group than other mobs.

Given how the first boss in this new raid is tied to the Order of the Eye, perhaps a particularly dangerous cultist or wraith encountered before the other Order-themed mob groups would serve as a suitable first mini-boss? The other wraiths encountered seem to have an aura reducing Light of Earendil slightly, so a wraith mini-boss capable of inflicting a Light of Earendil debuff which tiers up on each application and wears off after a certain amount of time could be an entertaining way to introduce the mechanic (as I have seen nothing up to this point capable of directly debuffing Light of Earendil until running this raid last night) -- perhaps as a debuff inflicted on the tank (encouraging tank-swapping at certain intervals), or an AoE centered around a marked player leaving a temporary "shadow" patch on the ground causing this debuff (along with a shadow damage DoT if standing directly in the patch)?

The new approach to "raid locks" is an excellent change, IMHO. Having boss encounters and instance progression no longer tied to hard "raid locks" but instead to a quest allowing use of a checkpoint system means we can run the new raid as many times as we like, without having to wait on a weekly reset. I touched more on this in a separate thread.

Finally, having specific backround music linked to fighting each boss (or mini-boss, if added) would be a nice touch for atmosphere, or to ratchet up the pressure.
    One less Orc in the world is a good thing, and one less leader among the Orcs is a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFire View Post
    For context, my feedback on this was from a Tier 1 run of this raid last night. mirkovic posted a video covering a couple portions of it, in the patch notes thread.

In terms of aesthetics and the overall visual impression of the raid, it comes across much like a modern rendition of the Rift of Nurz Ghashu. The place feels vast and dangerous, which is helped by a lot of elevation changes and vertical elements.

Mob mechanics seem decently varied (of particular note being a unique mob requiring around 50 corruption removals to destroy, rather than DPS'ing it down), but there are a lot of mob groups to get through before even reaching the first boss -- the size of the area itself seems enough to handle multiple bosses, and certainly more than the three suggested by auto-bestowed deeds from entering the raid instance. If the number of bosses within the instance does not change, adding a "mini-boss" half-way to each boss would help break this up a bit -- not the sort of encounter which would drop raid-specific loot, but perhaps a fairly decent chance to drop rare or incomparable gear at item level 330 (or potentially higher, on Tier 2) along with Scrolls of Empowerment/Star-lit Crystals, separate from any "raid chest lock" mechanics to encourage running the instance again after completion for that week. A good example of "mini-bosses" would be the Greater Fungal Fumaroles found within Dar Narbugud, encountered before some of the bosses in that raid -- encounters less tough than an actual boss fight, but still possessing unique mechanics making them more dangerous to a raid group than other mobs.

Given how the first boss in this new raid is tied to the Order of the Eye, perhaps a particularly dangerous cultist or wraith encountered before the other Order-themed mob groups would serve as a suitable first mini-boss? The other wraiths encountered seem to have an aura reducing Light of Earendil slightly, so a wraith mini-boss capable of inflicting a Light of Earendil debuff which tiers up on each application and wears off after a certain amount of time could be an entertaining way to introduce the mechanic (as I have seen nothing up to this point capable of directly debuffing Light of Earendil until running this raid last night) -- perhaps as a debuff inflicted on the tank (encouraging tank-swapping at certain intervals), or an AoE centered around a marked player leaving a temporary "shadow" patch on the ground causing this debuff (along with a shadow damage DoT if standing directly in the patch)?

The new approach to "raid locks" is an excellent change, IMHO. Having boss encounters and instance progression no longer tied to hard "raid locks" but instead to a quest allowing use of a checkpoint system means we can run the new raid as many times as we like, without having to wait on a weekly reset. I touched more on this in a separate thread.

Finally, having specific backround music linked to fighting each boss (or mini-boss, if added) would be a nice touch for atmosphere, or to ratchet up the pressure.
    I love this idea, having mini bosses to break from the so many trash pulls, with some loot (not as good as the main bosses of course). The place is big enough to have more than 3 bosses, come on!

Please increase the number of bosses and reduce the trash. The Throne raid is AMAZING with 6 bosses and little trash, and I hope the new raid will be at least as epic as that.

Quote Originally Posted by pikeperch View Post
    Please increase the number of bosses and reduce the trash. The Throne raid is AMAZING with 6 bosses and little trash, and I hope the new raid will be at least as epic as that.
    I would argue Thrones biggest problem is lack of interesting trash. It has just one good trash pull between 2nd and 3rd boss.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    build is not the usual bullroarer level of readiness .
    Something tells me you are not being ironic here in any way, which is hilarious.

So you're basically saying it's in a pre-ALPHA level of readiness as opposed it's normal ALPHA level of readiness??

Side note: I feel that should be your new sig...build is not the usual bullroarer level of readiness...classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Denhith View Post
    Something tells me you are not being ironic here in any way, which is hilarious.

So you're basically saying it's in a pre-ALPHA level of readiness as opposed it's normal ALPHA level of readiness??

Side note: I feel that should be your new sig...build is not the usual bullroarer level of readiness...classic!
    All signs are they are pushing it even earlier into bullroarer than normally to get more people to test it. From title of bullroarer thread to no mechanics present or even all the bosses - which bullroarer usually has.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    All signs are they are pushing it even earlier into bullroarer than normally to get more people to test it. From title of bullroarer thread to no mechanics present or even all the bosses - which bullroarer usually has.
    All of which is stating the obvious. But to what end? Why does it matter if people test it if SSG has a track record of releasing stuff however they want anyway? For me, one of the most fun things about jumping into a new raid is not knowing the mechanics, wiping several times trying to figure it out, laughing at your mistakes and then, finally crossing that finish line. Releasing bits and pieces of a raid like this (a raid that should be polished/finished) just because SSG lacks the resources to test their own content is the antithesis of that fun experience.

I actually am going to disagree on difficulty. I think alot of people waltzed in there with 345 armor and full new essence.
    I went in with those groups, t1, with a very well equipped 330++ Hunter. Is it impossible? No, but....
    I suspect that T2 is appropriate after you have run T1 enough to get good drops.

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

Quote Originally Posted by MAWorking View Post
    I actually am going to disagree on difficulty. I think alot of people waltzed in there with 345 armor and full new essence.
    I went in with those groups, t1, with a very well equipped 330++ Hunter. Is it impossible? No, but....
    I suspect that T2 is appropriate after you have run T1 enough to get good drops.
    I was clearing the first trash pulls in a 3 man on t1, had live gear on. Same goes for the hunter dpsing, can't speak for the healer.

As for t2, I was tanking that in live gear as well, I assume most of my kinmates were also using live gear, but I'll double check to make sure.
    Arkenstone| Officer of Faded | Altria
    Arkenstone | Leader of Dark Impulse | Telcely
    Original Challenger of Gothmog

Quote Originally Posted by Starkorm View Post
    I was clearing the first trash pulls in a 3 man on t1, had live gear on. Same goes for the hunter dpsing, can't speak for the healer.

As for t2, I was tanking that in live gear as well, I assume most of my kinmates were also using live gear, but I'll double check to make sure.
    Might just be an indicator of the overall difficulty of the first few pulls, not T1 in general. I didn't run T1 myself on beta, but there was a significant difference in difficulty between the first mobs and the mobs with the shadow remnant. It's likely the same on T1.
    Eredor-Champion, Ereworn-Minstrel, Ereshorn-Runekeeper, Eresworn-Hunter, Eremourn-Burglar, Erehorn-Captain, Erelorn-Warden, Eretorn-Lore-Master, Erescorn-Guardian... And Erecorn-Master Farmer