We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Help with Anvil needed

There is a feature/function of Anvil Studio, that I very dearly would like to prevent if possible.

That is the merging of tracks.

You download a midi, open it in Maestro and let's say it has 3 tracks - 2 pianos and a percussion track. You decide you need to edit the drums to reduce the volume of those pesky rattles, so you open it in Anvil Studio.
    As Anvil loads the midi - the dreaded cyan writing appears: "Converting song"

As the load completes, boom. Anvil has merged both piano tracks into one on the midi. And if saved, it also is now a single track in Maestro also.

How do I stop this horrible, horrible behaviour from happening? How can I ensure a midi edited in Anvil still contains the exact same number of tracks, arranged the way they were originally as it had before Anvil got it's grubby little mitts on it?

I am not very familiar with Anvil. Are you trying to decrease volume of a single track, or an instrument within an single track? If its the single track, you can decrease volume of it with in Maestro itself if that helps.
    Forte "Fortissimmo" Maestro - Forte's Academy of Music - Learn the ABC Music System
    Twitch Stream @ForteMaestro - LOTROstream Team member
    Co-Host of LOTRO Player News

I may be wrong, but the only time Anvil Studio should convert anything, is if the file you loaded wasn't a midi file, but rather a .wav file. The only converting done then is between wav and mp3 as far as I am aware. No midi file to my knowledge is ever converted to anything else when loaded. Any file ending in .mid or .kar should load fine and not need any converting whatsoever.
    As for having tracks merged, I am unsure how to deal with that problem. Some programs have an option to save with all tracks separated such as Melody Assistant. Anvil has the feature I believe but its in the paid version if it does have it. A friend has Melody Assistant (paid version) and has used it to separate out some multi part lines for me in the past and its a great program from what I've heard about it. I still use Anvil myself as its not often been anything I cannot work around. If what I've been told is correct, it has something with the midi output being either 0 or 1 when done with Melody Assistant.
    Last edited by Emere; Nov 08 2017 at 05:11 AM.
    Fincin of Landroval
    Level 105 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandleader * Transciber, Kin Leader
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

@emere - well the files are not wavs they are midi's from Musescore and the issue is not how anvil is saving it, it is how its "converting file" and merging the 2 tracks into one when it loads the file in the first place. obviously that means they are still gonna be merged when you save it.

If I could just find out why its happening, I could try to avoid the circumstances that cause it. But making sense of their documentation.. ugh.. whoever laid that out needs the sack.

Perhaps you are right maybe its in the paid version. It's not a big issue it doesn't happen on all songs but it does happen just enough to be irksome lol.

Very late to the party here, but I have made original multi-part music files in MuseScore and turned them into MIDI files and taken those into Maestro with no hassles at all. I don't believe I have ever had cause to then export those MIDIs into Anvil, because the music is already the way I want it, having made all the necessary adjustments in MuseScore. Still, the only reason I can think of that the MIDI tracks might be merged when importing is that maybe the tracks have the same names? If that's not the reason, I can't help you with that issue. But why not make the adjustment you want in the MuseScore file, and then just export another MIDI? The other thing you could do is edit the .abc file directly. That has a fairly large learning curve to it, but once you've gotten your eyes to un-blur a bit, it's not a bad way to change dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by Bolderbrook View Post
    Very late to the party here, but I have made original multi-part music files in MuseScore and turned them into MIDI files and taken those into Maestro with no hassles at all. I don't believe I have ever had cause to then export those MIDIs into Anvil, because the music is already the way I want it, having made all the necessary adjustments in MuseScore. Still, the only reason I can think of that the MIDI tracks might be merged when importing is that maybe the tracks have the same names?
    A few years ago, I had that issue with some MIDIs I exported from MuseScore. (I also occasionally encounter that with MIDIs from other sources, as well.) It wasn't a matter of them having the same name, but rather, that the MIDI had multiple tracks assigned to the same audio output channel. (I don't know whether it was a glitch in MuseScore's exporter or was a result of something odd in the composer's setup. . .like maybe they composed it using some other tool, which didn't translate it properly into MuseScore.) In some cases, Anvil couldn't distinguish them, so it just combined them as if one track was merely effects data for the other. (However, I don't recall ever seeing the "converting song" message, so maybe it's not the same issue.)

For the MuseScore ones, I think I just reedited them in MuseScore to make sure they saved to distinct channels. For the others, I opened them in another MIDI editor (the poorest, buggiest MIDI editors seemed to have a better chance of distinguishing them than the feature-rich ones), saved the offending track to a separate file, re-saved the song without it and then reassembled them in Anvil the way I wanted.

The other thing you could do is edit the .abc file directly. That has a fairly large learning curve to it, but once you've gotten your eyes to un-blur a bit, it's not a bad way to change dynamics
    For a file in which two tracks have been combined into one, editing the .abc note-by-note to separate them is pretty torturous. (But I have done it a couple times.)