We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The ILI grind for new & returning players is obscene

I understand the idea behind never having to level a new LI again but I'm a returning player who had a 5 year break and the way the ILI system works basically makes a new or returning player subpar for months. It's very demoralizing hitting 115, gearing up to the best of my ability & then looking at my LIs and still needing tons of scrolls and crystals and that's only for main spec. Even doing the FI and picking up scrolls for tokens in gondor when possible there is still no end in sight. IMO there should be level 105 or 115 LIs which have stats equivalent to a maxed 105 LI to at least make a new character competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemundo View Post
    It's very demoralizing. . . no end in sight.
    The cold, hard truth of the business model and the iLI system that so few accept. . . it is literally designed to make you feel this way. As a business, the goal is to demoralize you and cause you to exchange cash for the "convenience" of not being "demoralized" by the inconvenience of actually playing the game as designed.

Granted, they try to walk a fine line so that the "demoralizing" doesn't get so bad that you leave the game altogether. But. . . that's cold comfort as the years go by and more and more of the game's former integrity is chipped away. Made all the more aggravating by those who still see the business model as win-win with no downsides, and argue tooth and nail on these forums with anyone who points out the obvious as I'm doing above.

Having said all that. . . some concrete advice: Never ever buy scrolls of empowerment or star-lit Crystals in the Store. If you absolutely must give in to the Store-centric design, buy Mithril Coins and use those to upgrade your iLI from within the LI panel itself. Much less expensive that way.

--H
    "I went to the trouble and expense of driving my old Honda Civic into a lake to try to prove to you that it won't float. . . only to have you respond: 'Hmmm, interesting. . . would you be willing to drive a Honda Accord into the lake?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    The cold, hard truth of the business model and the iLI system that so few accept. . . it is literally designed to make you feel this way. As a business, the goal is to demoralize you and cause you to exchange cash for the "convenience" of not being "demoralized" by the inconvenience of actually playing the game as designed.

Granted, they try to walk a fine line so that the "demoralizing" doesn't get so bad that you leave the game altogether. But. . . that's cold comfort as the years go by and more and more of the game's former integrity is chipped away. Made all the more aggravating by those who still see the business model as win-win with no downsides, and argue tooth and nail on these forums with anyone who points out the obvious as I'm doing above.

Having said all that. . . some concrete advice: Never ever buy scrolls of empowerment or star-lit Crystals in the Store. If you absolutely must give in to the Store-centric design, buy Mithril Coins and use those to upgrade your iLI from within the LI panel itself. Much less expensive that way.

--H
    Yeah in the long run though it will just end up hurting them as player retention will drop. Normally happy to drop some money on store bought stuff from time to time but no way am I even going to consider it for all my crystals & scrolls. I really do hope something is done about it soon.

Unhappy

I think the LI system needs a refit, with 115 LI drops that starts way higher than rank 43 in unlocks.

Having two level 115s (one is a new cappy) I calculated that to make the cappy versatile (2 spec) I would need around 6-7 months of daily FI both farm on both toons (thats one days playtime for me plus extra) to max. the ranks. And we are not even talking crystalfarming yet.

Needless to say, I dropped the idea of my new cappy faster than a molten rock from Orodruin.
    Last edited by Tombpyre; Oct 19 2017 at 03:50 AM.
    If you build a man a fire, he is warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombpyre View Post
    I think the LI system needs a refit, with 115 LI drops that starts way higher than rank 43 in unlocks.

Having two level 115s (one is a new cappy) I calculated that to make the cappy versatile (2 spec) I would need around 6-7 months of daily FI both farm on both toons (thats one days playtime for me plus extra) to max. the ranks. And we are not even talking crystalfarming yet.

Needless to say, I dropped the idea of my new cappy faster than a molten rock from Orodruin.
    If you need Scrolls of Empowerment, do not turn to the store. Just farm the Court of Seregost at 105 with a 115 character and get 1-3 Scrolls per run. With a decent group of 115s you can do it in 6 minutes. So just run it for an hour and you get around 15-20 scrolls. I did this for a weekend and got my alt's LIs empowered in one swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffelle View Post
    If you need Scrolls of Empowerment, do not turn to the store. Just farm the Court of Seregost at 105 with a 115 character and get 1-3 Scrolls per run. With a decent group of 115s you can do it in 6 minutes. So just run it for an hour and you get around 15-20 scrolls. I did this for a weekend and got my alt's LIs empowered in one swoop.
    I ran Court earlier and got none.

I have been farming this and things are going much faster. Still for a pair of fresh lvl 100 ILIs you need something like 350 scrolls to max them. Having one instance on farm where you can just run it mindlessly for hours on end still isn't a great solution.

the rng and getting geared

Personally I utterly hate the rng system especially when basic armour pieces and anfals scrolls of empowerment don't drop, I get the new gear needs to be earned. I have been lucky on this occasion I have had six anfalas crystals and five anfalas scolls drop on as many runs . we all forget the basics we all forget about minas tirith daillies as well as big battles and roving threats there are so many ways to get gear for li,s . Marks and medallions are an issue too but I guess again we need to look back at swordhalls, warg pens and thorog . It would be nice if on t2c the daily instance gave decent marks and medallions for completion. just a thought. ps I get the numbers are not nice but there are ways and means to get your li,s sorted I am not saying it is good I am just saying it is doable.
    All that glitters isn,t gold.

Quote Originally Posted by valgorlim View Post
    Personally I utterly hate the rng system especially when basic armour pieces and anfals scrolls of empowerment don't drop, I get the new gear needs to be earned. I have been lucky on this occasion I have had six anfalas crystals and five anfalas scolls drop on as many runs . we all forget the basics we all forget about minas tirith daillies as well as big battles and roving threats there are so many ways to get gear for li,s . Marks and medallions are an issue too but I guess again we need to look back at swordhalls, warg pens and thorog . It would be nice if on t2c the daily instance gave decent marks and medallions for completion. just a thought. ps I get the numbers are not nice but there are ways and means to get your li,s sorted I am not saying it is good I am just saying it is doable.
    There are ways to get SoEs and crystals, you are right but I'm done. My four characters which I play most often each need 14x7x2 scrolls. My captain needs 26x7x2. No way I farm them. I have spend more hours doing that then I can count and am done. If they were in Ithilien, Wastes and Mordor landscape content I would at least try but they are not. As far as I'm concerned, once I can't play landscape anymore because my weapons are not good enough. I will stay in old content and eventually stop because there is no alternative to ILIs with the classes I play. I haven't seen non LI staves, books, agility bows, satchels, stones since the introduction of the LI in Moria. The LI at least had a reset with each new xpac/level increase. The ILI just grows without catch up. Why should new/alt players spend their time in FIs and old content? Nobody is going to buy that many scrolls from the store. I really would prefer alternative weapons unless they give free levels to the last cap.

I quit this game 3 years ago because I was so sick of the 5 minutes mind-numbing Samborg runs. It pretty much the only thing people did around that time, for marks and medalions. I'm leveling a new character atm, but if I have to do that kind of grind again at max level, and it sound like it's even worse, then perhaps I will just quit again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombpyre View Post
    Yep, I'd like to level some of my alts back up to cap and gear them but frankly the thought of the insane LI grind, trait point grind and then ashes... I mean even if I were jobless, lifeless and could do it without becoming suicidal, I don't think I'd be able to do it within a reasonable time-frame. If they want people to spend money they need to make things *slightly* more convenient on the store, for a reasonable price, not prohibitive to do without the store, and then the price of things in the store being 3-30x what they should be.

In addition to that, LI boosts in the store haven't had their prices revised since LIs have gone from needing ~20-30 scrolls per LI to 300-500, and from 1-3 Star-lits to what.. 15 is it now? It's a joke, just like 500 TP per virtue...

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemundo View Post
    I have been farming this and things are going much faster. Still for a pair of fresh lvl 100 ILIs you need something like 350 scrolls to max them.
    350? It's much higher than that, it's somewhere around 350-500 per individual LI. For classes where all three roles (or even just two) are viable/playable like Captain, it's just impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirain View Post
    if I have to do that kind of grind again at max level, and it sound like it's even worse, then perhaps I will just quit again.
    Oh boy are you in for a treat, just wait until you have to grind for ASHES! : ) ) ) ) ) ) ) I hope you enjoy spending ~250-1000 hours killing mobs with other players doing random "ready-checks" to ensure you're not slacking off.
    #15skills

Quote Originally Posted by Tirain View Post
    I quit this game 3 years ago because I was so sick of the 5 minutes mind-numbing Samborg runs. It pretty much the only thing people did around that time, for marks and medalions. I'm leveling a new character atm, but if I have to do that kind of grind again at max level, and it sound like it's even worse, then perhaps I will just quit again.
    It's called Farmtro for a reason... this "game" has become so bad even the most hardcore Korean or Chinese farmer is giving up on it. The current grind makes the Samborg farm runs a lot of fun in comparison.

You get 7-10 emps per 3 man run so it's not that horrible at the moment. Of course I would prefer system where we could add entire stack on weapon or just have less tiers and harder to get emps because current one you spend ages putting emps on your weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    350? It's much higher than that, it's somewhere around 350-500 per individual LI. For classes where all three roles (or even just two) are viable/playable like Captain, it's just impossible.
    Stop talking nonsense and do the math.

Just accept that is slowish going and can get better in a few cases but it is grindy, this is the grindiest game I play by far. So even if you don't want to do instances there are ways to get them.

It takes, maybe 15 minutes to do the Helping the Smiths daily, and it takes maybe the same amount of time to the dailies from the Sewers of Osgiliath, that's 5 Scrolls of Empowerment in about 30 minutes. Also, whilst leveling note that some of the coins can be exchanged for them, so you might have 10 or so by the time you get to Osgiliath at all.

The scrolls are not bound, they sell on the auction for 25-35 gold.

Myself, I dedicate a few toons to farming the above noted quests, it's grindy, but not especially tedious, they are very easy to do.

As far as the actual gaining xp goes, that's easy just level up LI's beside the your imbueds and use the stones you get to boost your imbued items.

For items you will theoretically have forever, it's not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Stop talking nonsense and do the math.
    If tooltips are reliable and accurately report how many tiers have been unlocked (as opposed to the tier increases that are given "free" along with the unlockable ones). . .

7 Legacies per iLI x 31 Scrolls = 217 Scroll per iLI

So, for main and class item, it's 434 scrolls, 48 crystals.
    "I went to the trouble and expense of driving my old Honda Civic into a lake to try to prove to you that it won't float. . . only to have you respond: 'Hmmm, interesting. . . would you be willing to drive a Honda Accord into the lake?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    If tooltips are reliable and accurately report how many tiers have been unlocked (as opposed to the tier increases that are given "free" along with the unlockable ones). . .

7 Legacies per iLI x 31 Scrolls = 217 Scroll per iLI

So, for main and class item, it's 434 scrolls, 48 crystals.
    217 is not the same as 350 or 500.

Indeed. Though just to clarify, I didn't say it was. I just "did the math" for those who haven't.

Yeah I said 350 for a pair. It's much more.

Quote Originally Posted by whitering View Post
    Just accept that is slowish going and can get better in a few cases but it is grindy, this is the grindiest game I play by far. So even if you don't want to do instances there are ways to get them.

It takes, maybe 15 minutes to do the Helping the Smiths daily, and it takes maybe the same amount of time to the dailies from the Sewers of Osgiliath, that's 5 Scrolls of Empowerment in about 30 minutes. Also, whilst leveling note that some of the coins can be exchanged for them, so you might have 10 or so by the time you get to Osgiliath at all.

The scrolls are not bound, they sell on the auction for 25-35 gold.

Myself, I dedicate a few toons to farming the above noted quests, it's grindy, but not especially tedious, they are very easy to do.

As far as the actual gaining xp goes, that's easy just level up LI's beside the your imbueds and use the stones you get to boost your imbued items.

For items you will theoretically have forever, it's not that bad.

FARMING. Again I have to say if it would be in new landscape content, not a problem. But I have done these dailies to "Celebrated" on 2 characters. Not going to go back there. And that is the problem with SoEs. They forget to put them in NEW landscape content where players are and new/alt/returning players hang out anyways. Funny that they are in new instances which can be run all day. So unless they come up with a catch up my ILIs stay where they are.

FREE ILI levels vary depending on where the legacies are at imbuement.

Leveling legendaries is much easier then it used to be ......... be grateful that Turbine improved it ... cough!

Quote Originally Posted by gervaise1 View Post
    Leveling legendaries is much easier then it used to be ......... be grateful that Turbine improved it ... cough!
    True... its definately not hard, you just have to be braindead to be able to withstand the amount of farming this game has... other then that, they did make it easier