We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    No, it's not impossible. It's like learning to ride a bike--seems impossible, but once you "get" it, it's easy!

... I stay on the catapult and use it to take out the mobs on the field. You can see the orcs moving in rows and can usually get a few hits before they move too close to the keep. You will see the kill numbers float up.
    In the nearly-a-dozen times I've attempted this battle, once the enemy catapults are defeated there aren't any enemies close enough to kill with the catapult. I don't know why you're seeing things I'm not seeing, but seriously, the enemies just disband from the area after the catapults are destroyed. In two of my attempts, the catapult could not be positioned near enough to the enemy catapult to destroy it. Tried and tried, but without enough engineer points it will only go where it will go. The other attempts I *could* position it close enough to take out the enemy catapults. So at least two of my attempts were bugged.

Also, the BB select screen indicates that Deeping Wall starts with 100% merit. Mine is always at 50%, and that number never EVER goes up, only down, no matter what I do. I got gold in several side quests without even working the side quests, but of course lost that because I failed the instance.

Bottom line - the frustration of trying to pass this POS is over the top. Totally unnecessary and also totally unacceptable to make it that hard to progress the story that the whole game is based around.

My argument is not, and never was, to eliminate big battles. I'm happy there are players who love them. Seriously. Have your fun, the game needs all the players it can get. Just give the rest of us a way to pass them and progress the epic story without tearing our hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    My argument is not, and never was, to eliminate big battles. I'm happy there are players who love them. Seriously. Have your fun, the game needs all the players it can get. Just give the rest of us a way to pass them and progress the epic story without tearing our hair out.
    Yup, make them not required. For a couple of years they gave all: best gear/medallions. A randomly buggy extra minigame within the game. Boxed rewards that were widely duped.
    Actually, since they still randomly bug, have a very bad tutorial, run poorly and have features such as enemies scaling sheer walls that are otherwise impassable, breaking the logic of the game - do remove them entirely.
    How to get rid of the bug battle bugs? Remove the 'epic' battles.

Or, you know, give them the polish they needed (and we screamed for) over half a decade ago.
    Which would take way too many hours.
    Removal from the epics/trait tree points and making the rewards cosmetic is really the only reasonable way to go.

Thumbs down

I'm so frustrated about the Deeping Wall and now I'm reading about the fact that the following epic battles will be even more difficult.
    There should be a way to keep those battles optional, maybe to skip these quests or do this as a normale single quest for single players...

Other epic battles weren't this hard to play, I remember Pela or Battle for Minas Tirith as a well designed and fair battle.

Actually I have to ignore the quest line from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwalindor View Post
    I'm so frustrated about the Deeping Wall and now I'm reading about the fact that the following epic battles will be even more difficult.
    There should be a way to keep those battles optional, maybe to skip these quests or do this as a normale single quest for single players...

Other epic battles weren't this hard to play, I remember Pela or Battle for Minas Tirith as a well designed and fair battle.

There are user guides out there to talk you through the basics.

With this one, ignore side quests, take out the catapults ASAP, and destroy ~50% of the ladders/ropes evenly along the wall. this way each mob is met by multiple defenders, reducing damage to the defenders.

Dont over-do it though, after a certain time the mobs suddenly go into overdrive and directly target you.

Hello Gwalindor :-)

Having just completed the first 5 Epic Battles solo myself I *really* feel your pain.

After quite a few failed attempts I somehow scraped through and I know just how difficult and confusing they can be as a solo player with very few points on the board.

What server are you on? If it is Evernight I would be more than willing to give you a hand to get them done. I am far from being an expert but having 2 people will make the whole thing far less painful. Feel free to send me a /tell (Crax) :-)

Good luck!

There is a way to keep them optional, you buy the Rohan trait points in the store. Then if you need to do the epic quest for them, you can complete with a bronze medal if you want and keep on trucking with your epic quest line.

Quote Originally Posted by Crax2 View Post
    What server are you on? If it is Evernight I would be more than willing to give you a hand to get them done. I am far from being an expert but having 2 people will make the whole thing far less painful. Feel free to send me a /tell (Crax) :-)
    Thanks Bud, but I'm not on Evernight right now.
    I'm not doing this for any trait points or gear, just want to finish the quest line.

Maybe it's time to ignore it for a while and come back later.

Deeping-Coomb and Glittering Caves are definitely not more difficult than Deeping Wall. Deeping-Coomb in particular can be done nearly AFK if you don't care about side quests. Caves is long but not particularly difficult (again not counting side quests).

For me, I were stuck on Helm's Dike. With low points, you cannot set barricades right and work engines fast enough to thin out the imcoming enemy. Or set soldiers to kill incoming quickly.
    On west side, during either obstruction or watchtower quest, you got a lot of extra mobs pushing in. I would invariably have soldiers killed off on that side during one of those and then on final assault, mobs would stream in freely and kill Gamling. After getting to Pel/MT and gaining a good amount of points there, I could reposition and upgrade barricades in Dike, set soldiers to 2H/sappers and lay down strong tripwires. Just a few points, and those sides went from failed and entire flank devastated to effortless platinum. After Dike, rest of battles just kinda fell in line.

I have been around this block a few times. The last was last year.
    Now I am with a new character and the Deeping Wall is, again, a pain in the butt-skie.

I appreciate the BBs. They are very different and can be fun. But as always, I know that the rest of the epics are doable, no bad memories...but the Deeping Wall?
    I have never understood why there has not been an adjustment? Yes it might be devs who are no longer with the company, or some who still are and think we need a challenge; but, please consider something. Anything.

I don't appreciate a quest that starts at 50% and stays there for twenty minutes.
    I have read lots, looked at suggestions - I focus on the ballista's, load and drop rocks, command the commanders, set traps, do some ladders and hooks, keep watching for the distant sieges.

But I am also at the ballista loaded, ready to fire, there was NO OPTION TO REPAIR IT, I fire, get hit and my device is now unusable. Destroyed.
    So you spend a few more minutes pretending to help but you know it is going to fail.
    For me this is a week's journey on every character I decide to take through the Epics.

Any body care to ponder why it has NEVER been re-visited, from what I have seen.

This is not about BBs and how you can really get into the gold, platinum levels, the leveling of Engineers, etc. Yes some players have gotten it done rather easily, but it is almost like an RNG for completion, and that does not help the moral of the Company!! We need to continue on and save Middle Earth, not spend multiple attempts on one quest.
    There is a clue in the quest description about sieges, Aragorn warns you to ready the ballista, but honestly - it feels like the most interrupted, awkward part of the entire Epic line.

Time for a change?

Edit: For example, can the timers be reduced for the ladders and hooks? Can the Zappers be slowed down a bit? Can the ballista's crank be faster? Can the Rock Falls have one less step?
    Last edited by Schmidster; Apr 05 2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Suggesetions

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    I have been around this block a few times. The last was last year.
    Now I am with a new character and the Deeping Wall is, again, a pain in the butt-skie.

I appreciate the BBs. They are very different and can be fun. But as always, I know that the rest of the epics are doable, no bad memories...but the Deeping Wall?
    I have never understood why there has not been an adjustment? Yes it might be devs who are no longer with the company, or some who still are and think we need a challenge; but, please consider something. Anything.

I don't appreciate a quest that starts at 50% and stays there for twenty minutes.
    I have read lots, looked at suggestions - I focus on the ballista's, load and drop rocks, command the commanders, set traps, do some ladders and hooks, keep watching for the distant sieges.

But I am also at the ballista loaded, ready to fire, there was NO OPTION TO REPAIR IT, I fire, get hit and my device is now unusable. Destroyed.
    So you spend a few more minutes pretending to help but you know it is going to fail.
    For me this is a week's journey on every character I decide to take through the Epics.

Any body care to ponder why it has NEVER been re-visited, from what I have seen.

This is not about BBs and how you can really get into the gold, platinum levels, the leveling of Engineers, etc. Yes some players have gotten it done rather easily, but it is almost like an RNG for completion, and that does not help the moral of the Company!! We need to continue on and save Middle Earth, not spend multiple attempts on one quest.
    There is a clue in the quest description about sieges, Aragorn warns you to ready the ballista, but honestly - it feels like the most interrupted, awkward part of the entire Epic line.

Time for a change?

Edit: For example, can the timers be reduced for the ladders and hooks? Can the Zappers be slowed down a bit? Can the ballista's crank be faster? Can the Rock Falls have one less step?
    Had that no repair thing happen to me, the instance is bugged badly, as the next attempt the repair option worked.

Just to be up to date, asking in LFF and doing it with another player completed it.
    Different tasks, or really, just some body's idea of fun, we lost some soldiers, lost a banner or two, but duo might be the answer. Do it a couple of times, then ask for assistance, it shall be done. One player does the ballista, the other runs around reducing mobs, we both issued commands and dropped rocks, ladders, etc.

But it felt, it seemed to me, solo is the hardest way to play this Epic.
    Doing it with others is the pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    Just to be up to date, asking in LFF and doing it with another player completed it.
    Different tasks, or really, just some body's idea of fun, we lost some soldiers, lost a banner or two, but duo might be the answer. Do it a couple of times, then ask for assistance, it shall be done. One player does the ballista, the other runs around reducing mobs, we both issued commands and dropped rocks, ladders, etc.

But it felt, it seemed to me, solo is the hardest way to play this Epic.
    Doing it with others is the pass?
    I think that’s pretty much it. I have done Defence of Minas Tirith solo, but the Rohan instances I couldn’t do. A couple of really helpful players, one in particular, helped me to duo all five. Like people said, they’re exactly the same instances whether you’re solo or duo, so doubling the man(or elf, dwarf, hobbit)power makes a massive difference.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Never have problems with Deeping Wall, but after last "balance" patches try it 6 or 7 times. 3 times I don't have enough points to reach catapult. One time I hit place where catapult stand, but it survive. Something broken here and needs to be fixed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2