We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

PROGRESSION-BREAKING: Newly granted 1st Legendary class weapon is not gaining experience

**Please read everything I have written in this thread, including the original post before responding.**

I have run at least 5 other characters through the quest to get their first legendary weapon. I have never run into this problem.

I finished the quest at level 48 on my Beorning and had no problems ID'ing and equipping the weapon. I also added one of the settings you get as a reward from one of the steps of the quest. I had gotten to the point where I was instructed to level the weapon to 10 and logged out for the night. The next night I proceeded to do the first several quests out of Gwingris in Eregion. Now, the quests themselves do not indicate that they reward LI experience so I didn't expect to get that. But I also did not get a single digit of LI experience from killing the mobs associated with the quests. I am now about 1/4 of the way into level 49 yet my LI sits at 0/100 Experience.

Someone told me that slotting the setting had bugged it for them and after they removed the setting, the LI started gaining experience. I tried that and it did not work. I also applied the damage-type scroll to it and, to my knowledge, there is no way to remove that so I am not sure if that is affecting anything.

I also tried switching between equipping a non-legendary weapon and re-equipping the Legendary weapon and interestingly I get a system message that says "You cannot use Legendary Items until you have access to Moria". If I recall correctly, you don't actually enter Moria for the first time until AFTER you have leveled the LI to 10. So I find myself in a Catch-22.

Has anyone had this happen and, if so, how was it fixed?
    Last edited by AilsaN; Aug 17 2017 at 08:11 PM.

Having noticed the fact that you've joined this forum way back in 2007, more than tens years ago, I hesitate to offer you suggestions that you might not already know by now. But the two reasons that I know of for initial FI's to not gain experience are:
    1) the Fi is disabled from gaining experience by way of the (Disable Leveling) button
    2) the initial FI must be equipped to gain experience, unlike other FIs the initial ones you get from the introductory quests will not gain experience by just having them sit in your inventory

Good luck

you can try using a blue IXP pill and see if that raises the level at all. If the item is disabled then using the blue pill will tell you nothing is available to use it on.
    They are account wide so use a higher level character to get one from barter or quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniaccc View Post
    Having noticed the fact that you've joined this forum way back in 2007, more than tens years ago, I hesitate to offer you suggestions that you might not already know by now. But the two reasons that I know of for initial FI's to not gain experience are:
    1) the Fi is disabled from gaining experience by way of the (Disable Leveling) button
    2) the initial FI must be equipped to gain experience, unlike other FIs the initial ones you get from the introductory quests will not gain experience by just having them sit in your inventory

Good luck
    Thanks for the response. I think I have a legitimate bug and have since submitted a ticket and bug report but have yet to get a response (getting help used to happen a lot quicker but I guess the recent expansion release and all the issues that came along with that have created a backlog).

I have looked on my other characters that have LIs and they all have a "Disable Leveling" button on all of their LIs. This button does not exist on my Beorning's quest-granted Legendary weapon.

I definitely have it equipped. I have switched to a non-LI and back to it to see if that would fix it. I did a quest in Eregion that indicated it WOULD reward IXP but when I turned it in I only got regular character xp. I had intended to wait until level 50 to try using an IXP token on it but now (after what I experienced with turning in a quest which should have rewarded me with IXP but did not) I think the IXP token would disappear without rewarding my LI any xp so I have decided not to try that.

I guess I'll just have to try to be patient and wait for a response from Standing Stone.

The initial LI can only be ID'd by an elf in Rivendell or a dwarf in Thorin's Hall iirc. Did you get it ID'd by a generic forge master somewhere?
    “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”
    ? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Elflord410 View Post
    The initial LI can only be ID'd by an elf in Rivendell or a dwarf in Thorin's Hall iirc. Did you get it ID'd by a generic forge master somewhere?
    Yes it has been ID'd by the NPC in Rivendell and I do have it equipped. Never had this happen before on any character I've leveled in the past. I think it's a legit bug. Now I just have to wait for them to get back to me and hope they have a fix.

Sounds like the ticket was the right way to go, I hope you get the situation remedied soon.
    “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”
    ? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

The first LI will only gain levels if you have the item equiped in your main hand slot. It will not gain exp if you have it in your inventory. Also the epic quests of the legendary item have to be done in order and at rivendel.

Identify at the forges.
    Equip setting.
    Level up to 10.
    Reforge at the forges.

All this has to be done with the item equiped.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasty View Post
    The first LI will only gain levels if you have the item equiped in your main hand slot. It will not gain exp if you have it in your inventory. Also the epic quests of the legendary item have to be done in order and at rivendel.

Identify at the forges.
    Equip setting.
    Level up to 10.
    Reforge at the forges.

All this has to be done with the item equiped.
    I know. I have done this quest with several other characters. I got the weapon ID'd in Rivendell and I did apply one of the settings I received as a quest reward. I have also applied a damage-type scroll I received as a quest reward. I am currently on the quest telling me to achieve the tenth level on the weapon. The weapon is a 2-handed axe and I do have it equipped. There is definitely a bug as I am not getting ANY IXP at all. Also, I have already mentioned this, but the "Disable Leveling" button is non-existent on this weapon so I couldn't have accidentally disabled leveling on it.

My solution

I found the same problem. So I went back to the 105 boosted starting area and tried killing mobs my level. At first, it didn't seem to work, so I, first checked and found I had not slotted a setting. I did that and then pressed the track button. The next kill took me to level 6, and six or seven kills later, I was at 10. Now back to Rivendell to finish this quest. Then I can get rid of this junk weapon and get my legendary that came with the boost back.

@Sinanja: AlisaN's character ist at level 48 and a quarter, not at 105. And she tried questing in Eregion, which means that the mobs she killed are still near her own level, and should give experience to her character and her legendary item. If this does not happen, there is definitely something wrong.

Unfortunately I don't have a Beorning at this level, that would allow me to check if this is a singular issue, or related to this class.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Can we get an update? Thank You.

Have you tried cancelling the quest and see if having it bestowed a 2nd time fixes the issue??

I had a bugged quest last year, and that is how I fixed it.

Now normally, a quest wouldnt stop IXP, but since this is a quest ABOUT getting IXP, it is worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by R_C View Post
    Can we get an update? Thank You.
    Well I have been gone for a week on vacation but before I left a GM advanced my quest so that I wasn't stuck on the step I had been. However, I shortly discovered that I couldn't complete the next step either (which was to have the weapon reforged - can't do that since it wasn't level 10). Anyway, I had also submitted a bug report. Upon returning from vacation, I checked my email and found a response from Customer Service which asked (as someone pointed out earlier in this thread) if I had slotted the setting. Well I HAD done so as soon as I got it from a quest reward but I still was not geting IXP. Someone in-game (not a GM) suggested removing the setting since that was something he found had helped him with a similar problem. I just happened to have had a relic-removal scroll in my bank so I did that but it did not resolve the problem.

But getting back to my response from Customer Service on my bug report - I thought, what the heck? I'll put the setting back on it but I doubt it will help. I promptly went out and killed something and lo and behold I got IXP! So I guess what I should have done is removed the relic and then re-slot it from the beginning! Problem solved!

Moral of the story: Read the Quest text.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Moral of the story: Read the Quest text.
    Excuse me, but I DID read the quest text, multiple times, as I have done this quest multiple times. Once I was rewarded with the relics, I slotted one and proceeded on but my Legendary Weapon was not gaining IXP. Only after removing the relic and then reslotting it would it begin earning IXP. Thanks for your snarky input, though. /sarc

Here's the quest text. My guess is that you may have missed talking to the quest giver once slotting the relic and went off to gain levels. The GM advancing the quest line for you got you a little desynced so having to remove and reslot the relic is what may have fixed it

Objective 3

Equip your new weapon
    Talk to Dithalion

Now that your weapon has been identified, you must equip it if you wish it to increase in worth.

Dithalion: 'You must equip your new weapon if you wish to see its worth increase.

Dithalion: 'I see that you have been given some Relics. You should apply one of them to your weapon to further customise its abilities! Once you have done so, speak to me again.'
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Here's the quest text. My guess is that you may have missed talking to the quest giver once slotting the relic and went off to gain levels. The GM advancing the quest line for you got you a little desynced so having to remove and reslot the relic is what may have fixed it
    I think you are the one who lacks reading comprehension. I DID all of that when prompted by the quest. My LI would not gain IXP. The fix was to remove the setting that I HAD SLOTTED when prompted by the quest and then, apparently re-slot it (though the person who gave me advice in-game only mentioned removing the relic, not re-slotting it so I didn't immediately do that). <sigh> I explained all of this in my very first post in this thread. If I had skipped the step of slotting the relic, why would my quest be telling me to gain 10 levels of advancement with my LI (that was the step I had originally gotten stuck on and a GM advanced it for me from there)?

i ran into this exact same problem last night, ID'd the weapon, slotted the relic, no exp gains for it, and i cannot talk to the NPC who ID'd my weapon at all now

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Same or similar issue here, going to have to review it with greater care though, but I just wanna get rid of it, probably I have to level it up, forgot about this, loong time since I did this.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf