We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Not free. If it weren't for the stipend, I wouldn't entertain buying the sub. It's cheaper to buy points directly and buy the content and other perks, if you exclude the VIP stipend. It's a selling point of the sub, with emphasis on "selling". I can't speak for what the lifetime was originally sold as, because I wasn't here at the time, but from a paying subscriber point of view, the running sub always included a stipend in the purchase price. It's $100 a year and includes points, not $100 a year including free points.
    You are wrong. LP didn't start til F2P happened. Before that you just paid $15 a month to access the servers period. People would still be doing that if F2P didn't happen. The 500 lp is only a carrot on a stick to reign in moochers who like to live off the whales generosity. So yes it is still a bonus aka something given free to those with the guts to sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck1771 View Post
    You are wrong. LP didn't start til F2P happened. Before that you just paid $15 a month to access the servers period. People would still be doing that if F2P didn't happen. The 500 lp is only a carrot on a stick to reign in moochers who like to live off the whales generosity. So yes it is still a bonus aka something given free to those with the guts to sub.
    Of course they didn't exist before f2p - how could they, there was no store.

But you said it yourself, plainly. "people would still be doing it if f2p didn't happen". A lot of them are, and it's because the sub comes with 500 LP a month. If those LP were not included in the "purchase" - they'd be premium, as premium is a lot cheaper and you only have to buy everything once.

Answer me this . . . is the high elf included in the collector's edition of Mordor free? As in, it's just a carrot on a stick to make people want the buy the collector's edition. Or is it something you pay for when you buy the collectors edition?

You can say I'm wrong as much as you want, but I'm telling you - why I buy a sub. 1. to support the game. 2. to get the stipend. Without the stipend, I wouldn't entertain buying it, it is part of my purchase. If the 500 monthly LP is not part of what I buy when I purchase a sub, then a high elf is free when people buy a collectors edition of Mordor also. But somehow, I doubt you would see that.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Aug 13 2017 at 04:37 PM.
    Monkeys are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey.
    Edited, because some folk just can't do wordplay.

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    So, as I am here on my holidays, sitting on the balcony overlooking the Mediterranean, I started to consider the concept of Lotro points and whether they could ever be truly free. So having pondered this over a glass of tepid sangria, I would to put to you all the notion that every Lotro point issued in the game, the store or through other means has been earned in one way, shape or form.

Let's consider their means of attainment:

1. Direct Purchase. Obviously this needs no elaboration. Even the bonus points are not free as these are priced in.

2. VIP Stipend. The 500lp is part of the purchase so that's a given.

3. Lifetime Sub Stipend. Again these are not free as they are predicated on the original investment being made when the lifetime sub was bought. Indeed they are no different to a share dividend, paid out solely at the discretion of SSG.

4. In-game earned LP. These were paid for with the time invested by the player which in turn is commoditised by SSG as active players to fill their game world to show investors how popular the game is. Remember kids, time is money.

5. Lotro Points issued out of game such as via a store code in an email. Even if the player is not active, their account is commoditised as just one of hundreds of thousands that SSG uses as indications of the game's popularity to investors. Like one's Facebook account, its existence alone is an asset the value of which to be leveraged by the owner.

So, in conclusion, Lotro points are not free. I leave it to you all to discuss.

Edit - apologies for the lack of finesse in this post but it as typed out on the iPhone, which is a bit rubbish compared with my cherry keyboard at home.
    5. If you grind to get those points, then you are correct. If you get those points just doing what you would do anyway, then they are free, imo.
    What shows is what there is.

Seems I've stumbled into the Let's Drink with Bango thread....

Have something a little more upscale, like some single malt (scotch, for the unititiated in the audience). Then you will see the truth: there are no LOTRO points.

Quote Originally Posted by Scirocco View Post

Have something a little more upscale, like some single malt (scotch, for the unititiated in the audience). Then you will see the truth: there are no LOTRO points.
    Some homemade Georgian chacha and you will be fully enlightened: There is no LOTRO.

Landroval: Kibilturg (Watchers of Elendil); Taurunion, Erohtar (Taters and Traders)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    Some homemade Georgian chacha and you will be fully enlightened: There is no LOTRO.
    I actually had that once. I'd rather drink tepid sangria than go through that again.

I award you 50 million free Lotro Points.

You need to work on your subtlety. Way, way too obvious.

--H
    "I went to the trouble and expense of driving my old Honda Civic into a lake to try to prove to you that it won't float. . . only to have you respond: 'Hmmm, interesting. . . would you be willing to drive a Honda Accord into the lake?'"

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    I don't understand the premise.
    Store points versus cash or as a bonus for spending time in the game, isn't that what it was always down to?
    No, rather it's a consideration of the extent to which Turbine\WB and now SSG has commoditised and hence monetised our participation in the game and the rewards that we obtain from that. But of course feel free to develop the discussion and take it forward in a different direction
    It's just this thing 'Is grass really blue?' as base for an argument against.
    Nope, points are not free.

Maybe standing stones feel the points are too easy to attain in the game by spending the time.
    It could explain why there is no expansion out in the game store and the demand for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Scirocco View Post

Laphroaig is my favourite sprit - taken neat at room temperature with some water and I'm as happy as a hobbit at The Green Dragon.
    It must be your PC...

If I go into Starbucks or Costa I can take some free sugar with my coffee. But if I go into those same establishments and without buying anything, proceed to stuff lots of sugar sachets and paper napkins into a bag, I'll be given short shrift by the management. So, is the sugar I take with my corporate-logo'd cup of tasteless sludge really free?
    It must be your PC...

If I go into Starbucks or Costa I can take some free sugar with my coffee. But if I go into those same establishments and without buying anything, proceed to stuff lots of sugar sachets and paper napkins into a bag, I'll be given short shrift by the management. So, is the sugar I take with my corporate-logo'd cup of tasteless sludge really free?
    Once you bought the tasteless sludge for about £ 2,50 or thereabout , you can in theory, feast on as many sugar and napkins you like, and also a free read of the Daily Mail and The Sun and unlimited use of the toilette and free in-house WiFi....not really that bad if you think about it
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    Once you bought the tasteless sludge for about £ 2,50 or thereabout , you can in theory, feast on as many sugar and napkins you like, and also a free read of the Daily Mail and The Sun and unlimited use of the toilette and free in-house WiFi....not really that bad if you think about it
    Read the Daily Mail? That's Mordor talk!
    It must be your PC...

In the space between worlds, thinking, exploring, learning, dreaming, creating and always passing on
    I think we're all missing the important question here:

If you dislike Sangria, then why on earth are you drinking it while you're on holiday?
    Rider, Fighter, Virgin, Lover; Watcher, Chaser, Bearer of Pain.
    Victim tormented, Abused and Broken; Rise from the ashes and Hunt once again.
    And Vengeance Be Thy Oath.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harla View Post

If you dislike Sangria, then why on earth are you drinking it while you're on holiday?
    My guess?

It's probably free.

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harla View Post

Unfortunately my expectations were not grounded in reality. Sangria is the sort of drink that you have when:

1. You've already had one too many, and

2. You're in a group with others who are in a similar state, and

3. Your condition the following day is not a priority.
    It must be your PC...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2