We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can't take screenshots since Mordor update

I'm hoping someone can help. Since downloading the Mordor expansion, I suddenly cannot take screenshots. I keep getting an error that says something like, "screenshot failed to save to disk". I've tried the Prt Scrn button (which used to work) and also F11, but no avail. Since I was able to take screenshots before, I assume the Mordor update and expansion has everything to do with it and maybe some file got corrupted. Is there a way to reset the lotro folder without uninstalling and reinstalling? I'm hoping there is a fix trick I can try before a full reinstall of the whole game. I have Windows 10.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

*crickets*

Hmm....guess not.

Is it possible you have 99,999 of them? I know it's a long-shot but worth asking.

Can you open your "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder and create a file in it?
    Sounds like you don't have write access into it anymore.

I did a screen shot earlier and on Win10.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

I take screenshots just fine, might just be an issue on your end.
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server. Staff member of the Lord of the Rings Discord Server, and Owner of Middle-Earth Lore discord.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by LiELF View Post
    I'm hoping someone can help. Since downloading the Mordor expansion, I suddenly cannot take screenshots. I keep getting an error that says something like, "screenshot failed to save to disk". I've tried the Prt Scrn button (which used to work) and also F11, but no avail. Since I was able to take screenshots before, I assume the Mordor update and expansion has everything to do with it and maybe some file got corrupted. Is there a way to reset the lotro folder without uninstalling and reinstalling? I'm hoping there is a fix trick I can try before a full reinstall of the whole game. I have Windows 10.

i too am having this issue, ive reported it as well just now. i did however have over 1080 screenies saved, im currently movingthem all to a thumbdrive atm. then ill restart computer and game and see if it helps. ive notified devs of this.
    gussymoose1

Windows can get rather cranky when you put too many files in a folder. Also LOTRO fills in gaps in the screen cap numbering system it uses so it must be doing some sort of directory scan before it decides what to call the image. If you have lots of files, it might be taking a long time to figure out the next available file name.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Well, I've removed all of my screenshots from the folder and tried changing the keymapping in game, but neither of those worked. It seems like something in my Lotro documents folder got corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by gussymoose View Post
    i too am having this issue, ive reported it as well just now. i did however have over 1080 screenies saved, im currently movingthem all to a thumbdrive atm. then ill restart computer and game and see if it helps. ive notified devs of this.
    gussymoose1
    If you hear anything, please let me know. I may have to try reinstalling the game, but I was just hoping that there was a simpler solution.

Do you have any plugins or custom skins? If so try removing them. Use the default UI and configure the plugin manager to load nothing for that character. Then see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    I take screenshots just fine, might just be an issue on your end.
    I agree been taking screens fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Do you have any plugins or custom skins? If so try removing them. Use the default UI and configure the plugin manager to load nothing for that character. Then see what happens.
    No Plugins or anything.

no screen shots

still looking into it. ive removed the 2 plugins i had, and removed the skins addon. restarted computer 2 times. did a team viewer with my pal, he checked top to bottom, path is clear, but still getting an error. . i live for my screenshots.. agh... ill keep posted if i hear anything. its killin me..

gussymoose

still looking into it. ive removed the 2 plugins i had, and removed the skins addon. restarted computer 2 times. did a team viewer with my pal, he checked top to bottom, path is clear, but still getting an error. . i live for my screenshots.. agh... ill keep posted if i hear anything. its killin me..

gussymoose
    I know it's handy to have your screenshots saved to the LOTRO folder automatically.

What about old school. Press PrtScn and open Paint (or similar for Mac) and Ctrl-V?
    Irritating people? USE the Ignore feature under Community > Friends & Contacts > Edit Ignore List and ADD THEM there. Or, click this - EDIT IGNORE LIST. Btw, MMO never meant "all together now". It simply means a server capable of supporting simultaneous play of hundreds or even thousands of players. Anything else is false narrative.

F11 worked for me yesterday

Try backing up your "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder and make a new one of the same name. Then copy all the files and subfolders from the original folder into this new one, minus the screenshots.

If it doesn't help you can always delete the new folder and rename the old one back again.
    I'm assuming you are comfortable doing this in Windows.

This is very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Try backing up your "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder and make a new one of the same name. Then copy all the files and subfolders from the original folder into this new one, minus the screenshots.

If it doesn't help you can always delete the new folder and rename the old one back again.
    I'm assuming you are comfortable doing this in Windows.

This is very odd.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue. I think I'm just going to reinstall today and see if that changes anything.

Ran into the same problem today. Logging out and restarting the launcher as an administrator worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto_the_First View Post
    Ran into the same problem today. Logging out and restarting the launcher as an administrator worked for me.
    I'm glad you were able to get it working. Alas, I always run the client as admin so that didn't work for me either. I'm currently re-installing the game. If this doesn't work then it's probably a Windows 10 issue.

This is an odd one. Clearly most folks are able to get screenshots fine, but since more than one person is having this issue, something's going on. If I find out more, I'll let you know.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This is an odd one. Clearly most folks are able to get screenshots fine, but since more than one person is having this issue, something's going on. If I find out more, I'll let you know.
    Thank you much. When I'm done re-installing I'll try it again and give an update.

**update**

Reinstalling the game worked! I assume it was some kind of file corruption that happened when I updated.

Thanks everyone, for your help, see you all in Middle Earth!

I can take screenshots but none of the icons on the Radar/map are working for me. The time, stable, wallet, decoration, etc.... do nothing when clicked on. They worked fine before the expansion. Anyone else have this problem?

Not trying to derail the thread but didn't feel the need to start an entire new thread about it.

still no

after reinstalling the game all day, the screen shots are still a no. sad face...

after reinstalling the game all day, the screen shots are still a no. sad face...
    Hmm. Did you make sure you deleted any extra Turbine /Standing Stone folders after ununstalling? I know I had to delete lotro folders in programs and documents that were still lingering after the ununstall was complete.

My guess is that you don't have write permissions to the "C:\Users\yourusername\Documen ts\The Lord of the Rings Online" directory (or wherever your "My Documents" is housed).

Various things can cause the permissions to change unintentionally. Windows upgrades, updates, errant siblings, errant moving/dragging of folders (and then putting it back w/out realizing the permissions affected). . . and you'll hear various conspiracy theories too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast