We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Fushaum Bal reputation: don't like it

For me, this is too complicated.
    There may be people that it isn't and they may be right. But I think we can both be right in this case.

When I come into an area I like to pick up all the quests I can, finish them and turn them in. And so on and so on... I can not walk past a quest. I am not the only one with this playstyle.
    Now because of this negative reputation I need to figure out some mechanics, strategy, which quests decrease, which give double. Finish one for one side, then one for the other side, or whatever, I do not know.
    I would much rather have less reputation than having to figure this out too.

Please allow me to bump this up, I'm curious about what others think.

I'll bite. I liked them, as they seem different that the standard run of the mill quests where we run through like locusts.

Structurally, the North and South quests are roughly mirror images.

For most quests, you get matching gain and loss of rep on completion, 1200 up, 1200 down. If you have rep bonus account, you gain 2400 and lose 1200.

Each side has at least one quest that gives positive rep without the corresponding negative rep. You pick them up and complete them on the same side. This gives a way to max up your rep without hurting the other.

Some quests are only available if you are at neutral rep (max). Generally the same in form as the other quests.

Each side also has a self-starting quest where you destroy something in the camp. Tents or towers. These quests are the only ones you start in the same side that you lose rep in.

You have a 10k buffer as an Outsider if you start at Neutral. You can pick up several quests from one side, go do them on the other side (e.g., kill particular mobs, etc), and complete them without dropping to enemy. Then switch to the other side.

Killing NPCs also gives some very minor adjustments to rep. Not large enough to worry about.

Like I said, I do not think you are wrong, but I also don't think I am.

Some players, like you, may think that it is just fine because a, b and c.
    There are also others who do not really want to ponder over those quests checking which one is which, especially repeatable ones.

Hmm... I like this kind of strategic thinking on how to proceed with reputation when increase here might mean decrease there. It creates a kind of atmosphere where actions really have consequences, something we don't see much of in a mostly-linear story format in Lotro. But I'm thinking of it as a story-immersion-player, not as a leveling completist... I will be approaching new area cautiously, reading all the texts carefully, trying to put myself inside the landscape and experience the quests through my character's eyes... for this kind of approach, this rep offers something other than the usual linear rep grind.

But I can see where you're coming from. Rest assured though, there will be player strategies and guides after this stuff goes live on how to maximize this kind of rep gain with least adverse spillover, same as with Inn League/Ale Association stuff. So if you don't want to figure it out on your own, there will for sure be others sharing/posting tips on most efficient ways to achieve this, that you can use later on

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalphor View Post
    Like I said, I do not think you are wrong, but I also don't think I am.

Some players, like you, may think that it is just fine because a, b and c.
    There are also others who do not really want to ponder over those quests checking which one is which, especially repeatable ones.

Agreed. You're not wrong. Just as I'm not wrong for not liking eggplant (although I cannot convince my wife otherwise).

I was just providing some background as to the quest structure based on observations to date.

Not sure if we can /bug your wifes taste, but I do appreciate yours and Aelirs posts. I do like to see how others think and it also puts my post into perspective, not just as a negative.

But if this isn't changing, and it most likely isn't, didn't expect much of it, I would like the effects to be more prominent - gaining and losing rep in quest logs, etc. Not sure if an intro to this adversary type of rep would be too much.

I don't know, I just don't like to be bothered with repeatable quests. If it's a repeatable I like it to be kill this, pick up that, turn it in, done. If I need to use a little bit more of the brain cells, and I do like those quests, then I would much rather do that for a story quest that isn't a repeatable one.

Here I would love to just run in and out, but I guess I'll need to make peace with the fact that I won't be doing that. And remains to see what the 'become enemy' or what was it deed is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalphor View Post
    Not sure if we can /bug your wifes taste, but I do appreciate yours and Aelirs posts. I do like to see how others think and it also puts my post into perspective, not just as a negative.

But if this isn't changing, and it most likely isn't, didn't expect much of it, I would like the effects to be more prominent - gaining and losing rep in quest logs, etc. Not sure if an intro to this adversary type of rep would be too much.

I don't know, I just don't like to be bothered with repeatable quests. If it's a repeatable I like it to be kill this, pick up that, turn it in, done. If I need to use a little bit more of the brain cells, and I do like those quests, then I would much rather do that for a story quest that isn't a repeatable one.

Here I would love to just run in and out, but I guess I'll need to make peace with the fact that I won't be doing that. And remains to see what the 'become enemy' or what was it deed is.

I suspect the repeatables will be part of the new end game routine (i.e., what we do when we reach 115) in order to generate the new tokens for barter recipes, etc. Although they may not be that important, depending on allegiance quest rewards.

I'll double check the enemy deed to see what the rewards are (assuming we get the chance this weekend).

I'm not sure how important those repeatables will be.

You get a decent amount of those tokens and while they are good the allegiance system has its own tokens.

This is not the first time this "positive vs negative" rep feature has existed in LOTRO. It is just a bit more polished than it was with the Inn League vs the Ale Association; or the protected animals in Lothlorian.

It does require that you READ the Quest Dialogs and think a bit.

This is every bit as much of a challange as being able to kill 10 mobs that you have agro'd without taking damage yourself.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    This is not the first time this "positive vs negative" rep feature has existed in LOTRO. It is just a bit more polished than it was with the Inn League vs the Ale Association; or the protected animals in Lothlorian.

It does require that you READ the Quest Dialogs and think a bit.

This is every bit as much of a challange as being able to kill 10 mobs that you have agro'd without taking damage yourself.
    I didn't do the Inn League, so this has eluded me.
    I did remember the protected animals in Lorien and noticed that these don't even have any aditional information under their names. It's also an issue because these also appear in Udun and you lose some of the reputation and you know not what for. Granted, I did rush a bit through the quests because I wanted to get them all done and tested, together with other landscape, so I may not have been as throrough with reading, but I did not notice any red lettering saying you will lose a certain amount of reputation or that it was somehow showed in the rewards part, where it shows how much rep you gain.
    And however right you may be, I said it before, I will gladly think on a story quest, but I flat out reject thinking on some repeatable quests that has no impact since you're back tomorrow and doing the same thing over again.

As someone who hates the amazingly over-the-top reputation grind of the Host of the West (not the factions, they're not THAT bad at least, if you have money) for new characters, I really hope this new Mordor expansion doesn't make us do it all again :/
    #15skills

Unfortunately you get a quest to reach neutral with both sides and then turning the quest in locks out all the repeatables. Then later on the black book sends you back here which makes you lose rep, leaving you permanently unable to fix your rep. It is therefore recommended by some to do the black book before turning in the neutral quest.

My questing buddy and I are working on this atm. We did every quest at least once for the deed, and then worked to get outsider with both sides. At outsider each side has exactly one quest that only gives rep and does not take any. Once you get to that stage, just do those two quests over and over (it has a 2 minute cooldown, so just alternate between the two quests) and voila you are done. My buddy and I are gonna reach neutral, leave without completing the neutral quest, and then wait until after the black book sends us back here before we turn it in. That way we can maintain neutral.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Unfortunately you get a quest to reach neutral with both sides and then turning the quest in locks out all the repeatables. Then later on the black book sends you back here which makes you lose rep, leaving you permanently unable to fix your rep. It is therefore recommended by some to do the black book before turning in the neutral quest.

My questing buddy and I are working on this atm. We did every quest at least once for the deed, and then worked to get outsider with both sides. At outsider each side has exactly one quest that only gives rep and does not take any. Once you get to that stage, just do those two quests over and over (it has a 2 minute cooldown, so just alternate between the two quests) and voila you are done. My buddy and I are gonna reach neutral, leave without completing the neutral quest, and then wait until after the black book sends us back here before we turn it in. That way we can maintain neutral.
    Yeah. So pity I didn't know know about it during initial questing (as well as about allegiance weekly quest that disappear from resources dungeons once you complete Chapter 7). Hope they'll introduce the way to become neutral with both fractions again. Already /bugged it and I know multiple people who is disappointed with this too.

So there is any way these days to get max reputation with both faction after "Resolution" is done?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArise View Post
    So there is any way these days to get max reputation with both faction after "Resolution" is done?
    Yes, each faction offers a quest that only gains rep for them and does not hurt rep with the other faction.

I found this incredibly easy to do. I just did all the quests for each side once for completion purposes, then all I had left to do was a handful for each faction. I did South first, then North, then it was over.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    As someone who hates the amazingly over-the-top reputation grind of the Host of the West (not the factions, they're not THAT bad at least, if you have money) for new characters, I really hope this new Mordor expansion doesn't make us do it all again :/

Mordor has its own extra tiers of rep, but you only need to go as far as kindred to access all rewards. It's like Minas Tirith, the top three tiers offer nothing above kindred other than rep and the deeds for achieving them. The small sub-factions in Mordor are very fast to achieve.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Faushum Bal was really the only quest chain i hated with a passion, it was poorly explained, imo poorly designed, annoying and simply not fun at all to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phindecano View Post
    Yeah. So pity I didn't know know about it during initial questing (as well as about allegiance weekly quest that disappear from resources dungeons once you complete Chapter 7). Hope they'll introduce the way to become neutral with both fractions again. Already /bugged it and I know multiple people who is disappointed with this too.
    Just saw this. I agree and know others that do as well. I started a thread in the player suggestions forum here.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...in-Fushuam-Bal

I really liked the FT quests, you had to think for a change, and not start killing or fetching stuff right away, without even reading the text.

What I did have issues with was the last quest, but they fixed it after an update.

You can also get to neutral again by doing the quests that appear after the Resolution.
    Arequain Belechael, Legate of Celosien, Minas Brethil, Lebennin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0F1BPsP4WY

Easiest, fastest way to complete Fushaum Bal.
    Server: Landroval

There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. Einstein