We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

General quality of life tips for returning player?

What are some of the quality of life aspects of the game that you'd point out to a returning player? For example, I discovered:

- Get mount early: You can get the riding skill cheap in the LoTRO store and then buy a mount for only 200 silver from vendor north of bree
    - Perks: Look in Perks every day (as a VIP) to get 5 xp boosts
    - Auction: Drag an item onto the auction UI to populate the name
    - The Shire for lowbies: even if you make an elf you can swift travel to the Shire and level there if you like

And so on. When you make a new alt what do you do first? Any tip is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Magorian View Post
    What are some of the quality of life aspects of the game that you'd point out to a returning player? For example, I discovered:

- Get mount early: You can get the riding skill cheap in the LoTRO store and then buy a mount for only 200 silver from vendor north of bree
    - The Shire for lowbies: even if you make an elf you can swift travel to the Shire and level there if you like

And so on. When you make a new alt what do you do first? Any tip is greatly appreciated
    Returning player myself.

Hobbit gifts - free stuff

1. If your camera view suddenly goes all wonky, often in the middle of combat, you've accidentally pressed the X key. Press it again to make it stop. X toggles between static camera and follow-the-target mode.

2. The Premium Wallet Upgrade at 995 LP is a huge account-wide benefit. Even if you only play one character, this will give you more storage space than spending that much LP on inventory or vault space. All sorts of items, like taxidermy trophies, landscape tokens, festival tokens, etc. will go into the premium wallet rather than your backpack. Some of these items are account shared, so multiple characters will feed them into a common pool.

3. Free Universal ingredient packs from Ingredient Crates (3) and Premium Ingredient Crates (6, VIP only). These are store purchases that can be placed as outdoor decoration. Most players give everyone permission to use them. Each one will deliver its number of packs every day to each of your characters. You can track down a house that has these and park all your alts there, then log each in for a few seconds for 5-10 days in a row and collect packs. Even if not VIP and you only have 4 alts, you can collect 12 packs per day. Build up a reserve of 100+ and use them to craft equipment when you don't have time to go gather and process all the materials.

4. Plan early if you want a private kinhouse for storage. You can create a new kinship with a single character at level 5 (I think). Three months later this one alt kin can purchase a kin house. Lots more storage for all the junk you've accumulated. Bonus convenience if located near: your personal house, or properties with ingredient crates, crafting stations, NPC vendors, etc.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Tagging for reference!

returning player

Hello peoples Is there a way I can see what character and assets I have whilst I wait for the game to DL? I cannot remember anything about my old game experience at all......

Thanks

I remember I had a horsie.............

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPZ View Post
    Hello peoples Is there a way I can see what character and assets I have whilst I wait for the game to DL? I cannot remember anything about my old game experience at all......

Thanks

I remember I had a horsie.............
    I'm afraid not.

The old MyLOTRO system was removed years ago, so there's no access to game data via the web.

There's a good chance your old characters were on one of the closed servers. If so, you can transfer them to one or more of the remaining servers for FREE, but only from EU-type to EU-type or NA to NA. Here's the wiki page for the transfere wizard:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cha...ransfer_Wizard

I suggest you run it once you finish the install. The server selection panel will show you a list of all the servers with number of characters on each, and hovering over a server will display a popup with character names and last login dates. No info about levels or equipment.

Of course if your characters are on an active server, then you can just log into them.

Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Try to sell your steelbound lootboxes you find from landscape mobs in the auction house. They are a good source for gold if you need it.
    Same goes for the keys.

Here are more infos on their content:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...-bound_Lootbox

It is best when you open boxes as early as possible to get the best value from the gear that can be inside.

For example the Gold-bound Lootbox has a min lvl of 30 and so most of its content. (weapons, yewelry)
    Do not open with a lvl 38 or higher char, just wait until lvl 40 for the next higher chest. Or just save your keys for later...
    Personally I like calenard boxes the most. Again, check the wiki page to see the possible loot.

Afaik when you reach mordor, you will need another type of key. But this is still TBD (speculative).

If I can share 2 of my videos here:

These are typically the kind of tips that could help a newer player

Quote Originally Posted by Magorian View Post

I would not recommend leveling in the Shire, as it is extremely slow. I generally level all new toons through Ered Luin, mostly from Celondim, and by the time I reach Thrasi's Lodge (level 14) its time to move on to Bree-land.

I know this says 'returning' player, but I wanted to point this out for newbies and returning players alike (as a returning player in my kinship was recently unaware of the color-coded name/title system).

When you come across creatures and quests in Middle-earth, their names and titles will have a color to them. They will appear as one of the following colors:

Purple
    1. This means it is at least 8+ levels above your current level
    2. Creatures: Nearly all incoming damage to the creature will be deflected. Damaging this creature will be extremely difficult, there is a good chance it may kill you.
    3. Similarly, some locations in Middle-earth will also reflect a purple name when listed underneath of your radar mini-map. When purple it denotes that you are in a highly dangerous area for your level.
    4. You are unlikely to be able to accept a quest that is this high above your current level. This isn't impossible, but it is rare.

Red
    1. This means it is 5-7 levels above your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature, but it will be significantly harder for you to do so.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed, and will award significantly increased experience (XP).

Orange
    1. This means it is between 3-4 levels above your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature, but it will be moderately harder for you to do so.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can also be completed and will award moderately increased XP.

Yellow
    1. This means it is between 1-2 levels above your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature, but it will be slightly harder.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed for slightly increased XP.

White
    1. This means it is on the same level as your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature at a normal level.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed for a normal amount of XP.

Dark Blue
    1. This means it is 1-2 levels below your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature; it will be slightly easier to do so.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed for slightly less XP.

Sky Blue
    1. This means it is 3-5 levels below your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature; it will be moderately easier to do so.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed for moderately less XP.

Green
    1. This means it is 6-8 levels below your current level.
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature; it will be significantly easier to do so.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed for significantly less XP.

Grey
    1. This means it is 9+ levels below your current level.
    2. Creatures: At this level creatures will not attack you unless provoked first. You can damage them at an extremely higher rate than normal.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed for varying degrees of XP. The lower the quest, the lower the XP. For example, if you are 105 and complete a level 30 quest, you will receive less than ~100 XP. In the past, completing grey quests awarded 0 XP.

In short:
    Purple extreme challenge
    Red significant challenge
    Orange challenging
    Yellow slight challenge
    White on level
    Dark blue slightly easier
    Sky blue easy
    Green very easy
    Grey extremely easy
    Last edited by Sooule; Jul 17 2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: corrected some information :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooule View Post
    I know this says 'returning' player, but I wanted to point this out for newbies and returning players alike (as a returning player in my kinship was recently unaware of the color-coded name/title system).

When you come across creatures and quests in Middle-earth, their names and titles will have a color to them. They will appear as one of the following colors:

Purple
    2. Creatures: All incoming damage to the creature will be absorbed. You will be completely unable to damage it, and it will most likely kill you.
    3. Similarly, some locations in Middle-earth will also reflect a purple name when listed underneath of your radar mini-map. When purple it denotes that you are in a highly dangerous area for your level.
    4. You are unlikely to be able to accept a quest that is this high above your current level. This isn't impossible, but it is rare.

Red
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature, but it will be significantly harder for you to do so. The creature's BPE (block, parry, evade) will also be higher against your attacks.
    3. Quests at this difficulty can be completed, and will award significantly increased experience (XP).

Good info for both new and forgetful players.

I've got a small nitpick to make...

Failure to hit Orange through Purple enemies is not always due to BPE. Your explanation here is conceptually correct in that a lot of player attacks will not hit, but the reason they do not hit is different.

LOTRO used to have a hit mechanic whereby any attack had a chance to hit or miss and this varied by relative level. You had a high miss chance against purples and none against grays. This calculation was eliminated several years ago. Now you will always "hit" any color because that calculation is removed from combat. If the enemy is orange/red/purple then there is a small/medium/large chance that the mob will "Deflect" your attack. You'll see that in the combat results. If not deflected, then the attack still goes through the normal BPE in order to hit. (I suspect the coding simply adds Deflect percentage on top of the BPE calculation and reports the result if it falls in the Deflect portion of the range. Thus the higher level mobs add Deflect to BPE and essentially have DBPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooule View Post

Purple
    2. Creatures: All incoming damage to the creature will be absorbed. You will be completely unable to damage it, and it will most likely kill you.

Red
    2. Creatures: You can damage this creature, but it will be significantly harder for you to do so. The creature's BPE (block, parry, evade) will also be higher against your attacks.
    Actually you can hit, damage, and even kill purple creatures - it is just very hard to do so.
    Creatures significantly above your level don't get much extra BPE if any. What they do get is a mechanic called Deflection which is chance that your attacks will be deflected and miss. This is checked first before any other checks for hit/miss are done. Deflection applies to creatures 4 or more levels above you, with purple creatures having a very high deflection, red creatures somewhat lower, and orange creatures a fairly small chance of deflecting attacks.
    The deflection chance is solely dependent on the level difference between you and the mob and cannot be lowered (unlike Block/Parry/Evade which can be reduced with Finesse).

Locations much above your level (typically 15+ levels above your own) do not show as purple but as red. You will also usually get a warning when entering these zones.
    Main danger with red zones is that you get an increased aggro range such that creatures can come running from across half the map to attack you.

Ah, thanks for the corrections guys! Just trying to whip up something quick and simple.

When I mentioned BPE I just meant that the player would see a lot of blocks, parries, and evades in the floating damage/their damage chat tab. Poor wording/explanation on my part! Also, I couldn't remember 'deflected' and all I could think was 'absorbed', doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    1. If your camera view suddenly goes all wonky, often in the middle of combat, you've accidentally pressed the X key. Press it again to make it stop. X toggles between static camera and follow-the-target mode.
    Because I kept having problems with this very issue, I rekeyed my X to be mount/dismount my steed. If I'm in the middle of combat and accidentally hit the X now, it just pops up "you can't do that in combat" and I keep on fighting.