We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Utumno! (Oh GOD)

I have a proposition, an endgame raid for only the toughest cookies, something similar to Throne T2C when it first came out.
    So we're going to destroy the ring in the next update, so what if during it, the group of heroes were cast into some kind of spell where they were sent back to before the First Age in some sort of dream trance where they would wake up in Utumno and must escape, this could contain some kind of boss such as Melkor who was the ruler of Utumno. Below is how Utumno is described from "THe One Wiki"

"Utumno was delved very deep into the flesh of the Earth. Here Melkor built and delved many subterranean halls and dungeons beneath it of obsidian, fire, and ice.[1]"
    So its three levels, in the far North of Middle Earth, and delved deep into the flesh of the Earth.
    So what if we had it so we woke up in the first level of Utumno, which I will assume is Fire. We run through the many halls of the fire level killing fiery orcs similar to the lava ones of Moria and kill some kind of boss where we get a key down to the second level, which I think is Ice, where we battle through many mobs and run through the halls until we fight another boss and kill him for a key to the last, and lowest level. This would be the hardest, it would have Balrogs, Wraiths, Lost Elves which Melkor had stolen and enslaved, Trolls, and Orcs. The final boss fight would contain Melkors fallen Maiar servants, Gothmog, and Sauron. When (IF) our heroes get out of this dream trance state when they defeat the raid, the would wake up where they last were (probably in some kind of dungeon) and then a new instance or raid could be started from there were they break out from the dungeon.
    I've tried to make this as lore accurate as I could and think its an interesting idea, and even if it doesn't happen I'd still like to see some mention of Utumno in the next update or updates coming.

b l a y s

This isn't possible because SSG only has rights to what's in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, not Silmarillion or other stuff that has been published after JRRT's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporozc09 View Post
    This isn't possible because SSG only has rights to what's in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, not Silmarillion or other stuff that has been published after JRRT's death.
    It's not possible like that but it could be another fortress like Gothmog's new hideout to where we're taken as prisoners and have to escape and take down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kander View Post
    It's not possible like that but it could be another fortress like Gothmog's new hideout to where we're taken as prisoners and have to escape and take down.
    That's possible.

But then it wouldn't be Utumno.

One also has to consider how *many* players would be both interested in, and capable of, such an extreme dungeon. Possibly fewer than the OP imagines.

It's called selection bias, and we all do it to one degree or another. "My friends and I all like X; everybody I know likes X; there are lots of people who like X; everybody likes X."

But the truth lies somewhere along that spectrum, and we don't know where -- for any value of X.

SSG's people probably have a better notion than we do of how many players like X, because they have data on how many players show up to play X for how many hours. But even when they know, they then have to figure out whether the numbers would justify spending how many person-hours, which equates to dollars, on developing newer and bigger X.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Funny, I was reading up about Utumno not long ago. Some people believe its location is now under water in the Bay of Forochel!

We definitely couldn't do a raid there. Though it's a nice idea. I do have a feeling there will be a Balrog in Mordor or something similar. In the preview I saw statues of something that looked very similar to Thaurlach.

Might be time for me to scour the LOTR Appendix and see what types of things we could get away with lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLotroFan View Post
    Funny, I was reading up about Utumno not long ago. Some people believe its location is now under water in the Bay of Forochel!

We definitely couldn't do a raid there. Though it's a nice idea. I do have a feeling there will be a Balrog in Mordor or something similar.
    Or something much worse. Remember the old saying: Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

In the preview I saw statues of something that looked very similar to Thaurlach.

Might be time for me to scour the LOTR Appendix and see what types of things we could get away with lol.
    Sure, you could do that. Mind, the devs have been doing that for more than ten years. You're unlikely to come up with anything they haven't found already. But you could easily find something fun.

Two of my favorite unearthed nuggets:

(1) JRRT gave many of his Shire-hobbits names like Bilbo, Bungo, Frodo. But tucked away in the Appendices he mentioned that in fact -o was a feminine name ending, and -a was a masculine ending. So those names were really, Bilba, Bunga, Froda.

The first time I read that, a chill went down my spine. Froda is a name out of legend. He was the king of peace; his life was contemporary with that of Christ; during his reign, it was said, a virgin carrying a bag of gold could walk unharmed from shore to shore of his kingdom. But he was killed in battle, and his story ended.

(2) The Westron language (which we mostly see translated into English), like many European languages, had two forms that we translate as "you": a "familiar" and a "formal" version. (If you've studied French or Spanish, you probably remember the use of tu/vous or tu/usted.) You used the "familiar" version for family and close friends, "formal" for everybody else. (Compare the old Yorkshireman's rebuke: "Don't tha thou me afore I thous thee!")

But the Hobbitic dialect had somehow reversed the usage; the "formal" pronoun was used only in poetry and love-talk, and the "familiar" for every other occasion. This gives us a clue as to why the Gondorians called Pippin Ernil I Pheriannath, "Prince of the Halflings." Not because he was the heir to the Thane of the Shire -- which the Gondorians didn't know and wouldn't have given a damn about if they did -- but because he thou'ed everybody, including Denethor. (Imagine the proud Steward's reaction the first time he heard that! though it probably didn't show on his face.)

So ... get out the books, and happy reading.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

This should be in the moors so Melkor could get zerged.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000eb62b/01007/signature.png]Isilwe[/charsig]

Gulz posting on the wrong account.