We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Can't target the fires for Beat the Heat Summer Festival quest

I see other folks killing the fires, but I can't even target them... not with a mouse click or tabbing or even tried using the delete key (which I use for acquiring crops to harvest). Nothing works. I can acquire it IF I click another player and then click on their target, but I can't do anything to it. It says invalid target.

I canceled quest and tried picking it up again but that didn't help. I saw one other person who had acquired target somehow but couldn't damage it. Has anyone run into this and figured out what is causing it ... like last year if you picked up the mathom fishing quest and then the other summer fishing quest, all you got were mathom items, not the summer fish you could exchange for tokens... or how to make it work???

Thanks for any suggestions!!
    "Pink makes EVERYTHING better! Cept Orcs or gobbies. Nothin' can make them better!"
    Tearna Quickfoot, Hobbit minstrel on Landroval
    Lonely Mountain Band

You click the name or you can press shift + f9 or shift + f10. Or was function key alt to select next npc Can't remember.

Yup, basically you have select and 'use' them as you would any normal quest NPC ~ brings up a quest dialog box ~ click Continue button, then attack them.
    ~ Everbrock Spudplucker ~

No name to click... they are just balls of fire with a quest ring over them. I'll try the combo for acquire next npc. Thanks
    "Pink makes EVERYTHING better! Cept Orcs or gobbies. Nothin' can make them better!"
    Lonely Mountain Band

Quote Originally Posted by Shaeliana View Post
    I see other folks killing the fires, but I can't even target them... not with a mouse click or tabbing or even tried using the delete key (which I use for acquiring crops to harvest). Nothing works. I can acquire it IF I click another player and then click on their target, but I can't do anything to it. It says invalid target.

I canceled quest and tried picking it up again but that didn't help. I saw one other person who had acquired target somehow but couldn't damage it. Has anyone run into this and figured out what is causing it ... like last year if you picked up the mathom fishing quest and then the other summer fishing quest, all you got were mathom items, not the summer fish you could exchange for tokens... or how to make it work???

Thanks for any suggestions!!
    These are tricky to do unless you are showing names. How I do it is on a PC I go Ctrl + O to open Options, type names in the Search field at the top and make sure NPC names is checked. Then I type move in the Search box and make sure Move to use is checked. Then display names if they're not showing - the N key is the default to display overhead names.

I get IN FRONT of the Heatwave (don't chase it) and right-click the Heatwave name which makes me move towards it and opens the quest dialogue, have a finger poised over the attack I'm going to use and click Continue and immediately press the attack key.

With my minstrel I have to use either Dissonant Piercing Cry or Call to Fate since the Ballads don't seem to work.

That's my input on it. The Heatwaves ARE moving faster than they were last year and are harder to target. Additionally you'll have players taking advantage of you doing it correctly and stealing the hit forcing you to wait for the next one. They do respawn quickly though.
    Last edited by Namma; Jun 30 2017 at 11:13 PM.
    Irritating people? USE the Ignore feature under Community > Friends & Contacts > Edit Ignore List and ADD THEM there. Or, click this - EDIT IGNORE LIST. Btw, MMO never meant "all together now". It simply means a server capable of supporting simultaneous play of hundreds or even thousands of players. Anything else is false narrative.

Okay, that did it! Thank you so much! I knew there was something I was missing from the past but couldn't recall what it was. And yes, they are moving very fast these days! haha

I think the area you have to click to activate it is very much smaller than the past too. I do recall having to get close, but not having to click right on the name. At this point, it takes more time for me to get situated and manage to hit that tiny spot than the 1 little token it will give me, so not worth it. Too bad because it was rather fun the past.

I am sure there are those more agile than I who enjoy the challenge and I rejoice for them.
    Last edited by Shaeliana; Jun 30 2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Lonely Mountain Band

F10 doesn't require a Shift. Just press F10 until you have focused on the grim. Follow close or stand in its way. U...se it. Continue, and hit it. That's it.

I know, it is awkward. But if you understand how it works, it should be done within seconds.

PS: I am sharing this 'secret' more or less because I am really fed up with people fussing around for an eternity, then deciding to look when the grim will turn red (that is when I have hit the 'continue' button); and then kill it right in my face.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

It was tricky at first, but after players suggested the 'f10 then U' method, it becomes a lot easier.
    Yes, I know it's a Rabbit: they don't have a Hedgehog.

Yes, I had been using F10 to acquire here at the end, but then trying to click on the name which is very hard. haha Then I thought.. I wonder if USE won't work... and sure enough it does!! Hooray!!

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!!! And have a wonderful weekend!!
    Lonely Mountain Band

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    F10 doesn't require a Shift. Just press F10 until you have focused on the grim. Follow close or stand in its way. U...se it. Continue, and hit it. That's it.

I know, it is awkward. But if you understand how it works, it should be done within seconds.

PS: I am sharing this 'secret' more or less because I am really fed up with people fussing around for an eternity, then deciding to look when the grim will turn red (that is when I have hit the 'continue' button); and then kill it right in my face.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Learning every day. I was like 90% sure it had function key, and Im 100% sure I use function key for it. Lmao.

I just use F10 to select (plus shift-F10 if there are other NPCs about and they get selected) and then U to open the dialogue box. I've never changed the default for these in the key bindings as far as I remember.

I could target the ones away from the party tree, but unable to target the ones near the crowd of players. This has happened in earlier summer festivals.

I went back to character selection screen and enter the game again, and I was immediately able to target the ones I couldn't earlier. I did not actually log out of the client.

You might want to try that.

I got it !!!

First off I don't use names , too confusing so I needed to turn them on to target ,second a very helpful patient player got me to the final kill. I never knew there was a key for " use" U once I found that out everything worked . I could target the flame and follow it but the box would not open until I hit "U" . Thank you patient player .

I think a lot of people should got into Options > Key Mapping and just have a look at all the options you are missing out on.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Learning every day. I was like 90% sure it had function key, and Im 100% sure I use function key for it. Lmao.
    SHIFT and CTRL add the next and last functionality to F9 and F10

Yeah, they could use better targeting. I too found that using F10 then pressing U was the easiest and pretty quick way to get this done.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Try Standing Still

Yeah, I had troubles with it too, but I found that not moving helps. So try standing still and letting them come to you and then right-click on them. Hope that helps.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yeah, they could use better targeting. I too found that using F10 then pressing U was the easiest and pretty quick way to get this done.
    I have one of my side mouse buttons bound to "Next NPC" (the other one is "Next Item") - one of the most convenient uses of a simple gaming mouse in my opinion.
    Officer of May it be (Crickhollow). Player of the "Eirgang" - Eirlog (105CH), Eirithnui (105HU), Eirlo (101MI), Eirward (105WD), Eirburg (89BU), EirBuff (101CP), Eirbling (101LM), Eirock (61RK), Eirtank (60GD) & Eirbutt (28BE). Wearer of CakeHats.

Radar

Only the Heat Waves move. Just click on the moving ring on the radar and /follow hitting U. May need a little forward to catch up but selection is much the easiest.

Mac

I'll try the combo for acquire next npc. Thanks

I right click but don't even see a quest thingy show up.

Unless they have a gold ring, you cannot hit them, I was making that mistake all afternoon; you can select and follow, but not hit.

So 10 months after the "fix":

Rather than a benign Heat wandering about and only becoming active when a character on the quest interacts with one we now have the Heat able to attack nearby players without the quest. Additionally now anyone not on the quest can kill any Heat in the area and grief anyone on the quest.

So we go from players too ignorant to use F10, Click on the minimap ring or on the Name Plate moan to the CM and get a "fix" implemented by someone equally ignorant.

Please revert back to original behaviour before release. Or I'll be rolling a char for a Friday noon griefing hour during the summer festival. Good Grief.

Mac

Edit: You can complete by killing the same heat over and over until you have the 5. Heat no longer have ring icon on minimap. So a quest that had something vaguely interesting about it is just a kill 5 mobs quest.
    Last edited by Macdui; May 17 2018 at 05:04 AM.
    See my Lotro gaming videos:
    Macdui on Youtube.