We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

10 Year Player Leaving Over Support Response Issues

I played in the beta for LOTRO. I've been an active player (off and on) for 10 years. I attended the Moria launch party at GenCon. I was a subscriber for years before F2P (did not go Lifetime when I had the chance, much to my regret), then continued purchasing expansions after F2P. I have spent the past decade, including recent months, telling everyone and anyone who will listen how amazing LOTRO is. I love this game. I think it captures the magic of Middle Earth perfectly, from the settings to the quests and NPCs to the beautiful music...it's absolutely my favorite MMORPG of all time, and I've played all the big ones over the years, starting with Meridian 59 and UO beta way back in the day. I have spent hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours on LOTRO, and I don't regret any of it.

But that all ends today. Standing Stones Games has effectively lost me as a customer due to their ongoing support issues.

Weeks ago, in the first week of May, I put in a support request. I had purchased inventory slots from the LOTRO Store and they did not show up on my character. I'd had this issue in the past, and the fix was to activate VIP for my account for 24 hours, so that when I logged in as VIP, the slots would magically appear for assignment. I mentioned all this in the support request. I then waited, and waited, and waited. Over three weeks later, a response finally came from SSG Support, late on a Friday night on the Memorial Day Weekend. It basically said "Hey, sorry we took so long, we're really backed up. Send us a screenshot of your inventory and we will try to fix your issue.". Problem is, I was gone over Memorial Day weekend, and when I returned and opened my email that Monday night I read the response, then looked further up my email list and saw another response. This one said "Hey, we haven't heard from you in 3 days, so your ticket is closed. Thanks!".

So I waited 3 weeks, and because I wasn't around on a holiday weekend to respond in 3 days, my ticket was trashed.

Unacceptable. If you're going to have a 3-4 week response time on tickets, you need to either TURN OFF or LENGTHEN the timer on automatically closing support requests.

So I tried again, submitting second ticket for the same issue the next day. And waited. And waited. Three weeks later, on June 16th, I received a response. "Hey, sorry for the delay and the issue with the previous ticket. We can fix your problem by granting you 24 hours of VIP. Just let me know when you want that to start." Only problem, this email came two days after I left for vacation...so you can guess what happens next. June 22nd email, "You didn't respond in 3 days, so your ticket is trashed. Thanks for playing the SSG Support game!"

I'm done. I don't even care about the inventory slots anymore at this point. It is absolutely ridiculous that it is taking weeks to respond to requests for support and yet you only get 3 days to respond before they make you start all over again. Either that timer needs to be adjusted or SSG Support needs to staff up to handle the load. I get that your small support staff is overwhelmed right now. Perhaps the community could help? Start a volunteer Community GM Program where long-time players could volunteer to help out a few hours a week doing simple tasks they could be trained for (account issues, item replacement, granting temporary VIP to resolve issues like mine, etc.) to take some of the load off of SSG Support?

In the meantime, the only way I know how to express my displeasure with SSG is to stop playing, which sucks, because I love the game and had been having a great time in the past few months between advancing a previous character and the Anniversary Event.

I sincerely hope SSG manages to right the ship and turn things around, but sadly I won't be there to see it. Thanks for a great 10 years.

If it not that, they claim you weren't online but never check alts of the Account.

I just posted about a double barter cause of freezing lag, and i get pointed to a 2011 closed thread.

One of the reasons I stopped VIP as the support was poor eitherway and not worth paying for poor responses.

UPDATE

After posting to this thread and replying with pretty much the same statements to the closed ticket email that was generated on my support ticket, I received a response from Chronos at Standing Stone Games Support within a few hours.

The response contained both a sincere apology and a pledge to work with me regardless of ticket status until issue I was having was solved. True to his word, I received daily communication from Chronos as he tried adjusting things on my account and had me perform various tests and screenshots to see what the results would be. His communication throughout this process was excellent.

I am happy to report that after a few days of troubleshooting, Chronos was able to resolve the issue with my account and make it so that my purchases show up as they should from now on. Apparently the problem was with the age of my account and an entitlement on the account that was outdated and superseded, but hadn't been turned off, and thus was preventing things I'd purchased from actually appearing on my characters. Like I mentioned in the OP, I've had my account since LOTRO launched, and over the years it's gone from boxed copies of Shadows of Angmar and Mine of Moria with monthly subscriptions to digital copies of the rest of the expansions and Premium status post-F2P...so somewhere along in there some little data bit that should have been turned OFF stayed ON, and I've had issues ever since. Until now.

I want to personally thank Chronos for a job well done and going above and beyond working with me to insure I was completely satisfied. I know full well how overwhelmed SSG Support is right now, especially with Mordor on the horizon and the changes being made to prepare for it, so for Chronos to stick with my issue to find a full resolution instead of just issuing the easy temporary fix and moving on is very much appreciated. My faith in SSG is restored, and I am happy to say I will be returning to Middle Earth and continuing to play, hopefully for another 10 years.

If anyone in SSG management ever reads these forums...give Chronos a raise! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SlainteMhath View Post
    UPDATE

After posting to this thread and replying with pretty much the same statements to the closed ticket email that was generated on my support ticket, I received a response from Chronos at Standing Stone Games Support within a few hours.

The response contained both a sincere apology and a pledge to work with me regardless of ticket status until issue I was having was solved. True to his word, I received daily communication from Chronos as he tried adjusting things on my account and had me perform various tests and screenshots to see what the results would be. His communication throughout this process was excellent.

I am happy to report that after a few days of troubleshooting, Chronos was able to resolve the issue with my account and make it so that my purchases show up as they should from now on. Apparently the problem was with the age of my account and an entitlement on the account that was outdated and superseded, but hadn't been turned off, and thus was preventing things I'd purchased from actually appearing on my characters. Like I mentioned in the OP, I've had my account since LOTRO launched, and over the years it's gone from boxed copies of Shadows of Angmar and Mine of Moria with monthly subscriptions to digital copies of the rest of the expansions and Premium status post-F2P...so somewhere along in there some little data bit that should have been turned OFF stayed ON, and I've had issues ever since. Until now.

I want to personally thank Chronos for a job well done and going above and beyond working with me to insure I was completely satisfied. I know full well how overwhelmed SSG Support is right now, especially with Mordor on the horizon and the changes being made to prepare for it, so for Chronos to stick with my issue to find a full resolution instead of just issuing the easy temporary fix and moving on is very much appreciated. My faith in SSG is restored, and I am happy to say I will be returning to Middle Earth and continuing to play, hopefully for another 10 years.

If anyone in SSG management ever reads these forums...give Chronos a raise! ;-)
    I'm really happy to hear this. After 6 years of being in this game, I too am struggling with support responses. I was beginning to feel the same way.
    Borgorid of Arkenstone
    r11 - Champ , r8 - Mini,

Glad you sorted,

I'm thinking of not proceeding past Mordor and using my Money elsewhere, due to the lack of support and understanding.

Since Shadow of War is not too far also, I might move over to that Game instead.

At the end of the day, shouldn't take a post here to get things resolved, otherwise what's the use of InGame Support Tickets.

Please understand SSG doesn't have a CSR staff. The staff or support that you have to deal with is from DayBreak Games. The old SOE if you will that had Star Wars Galaxies.
    The game is great, but the LOTRO makers though I doubt if any are left who actually made the game. I think the ones that are there now came way latter and just keep it updated. But just keep in mind the LOTRO Makers/Updater do not deal with customers. You can hire a Community Manager but that job requirements is to update any changes to the game, or make some sort of presence to make the player base reassured that someone is there with them. If the CM does more than what I listed that is on them and the free time they have.

Again do not blame the makers for the CSR Staff. But it is questionable that the business leaders of LOTRO would entrust the game to DayBreak above all. If the business leader went to business college he/she should know from the start that DayBreak was a bad move.

closing as /necro
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool