We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cordovan Replacement

I really try to watch and listen to Cordovan's streams, I really do, but it's just so hard when he doesn't really play Lotro. I cannot quite get how he is the community manager over Lotro except because it's just to save money by having one person doing both roles. I think it's vastly unfair to the Lotro community to have someone with so little actual Lotro experience trying to answer questions or sound concerned about issues that are brought up from viewers/players during his streams. I like Cordovan and this is not a personal attack by any means. I just feel that someone else in the community who actually plays the game and has played the game be the person who shares information with us and who can be qualified enough to actually answer questions or have our trust with making sure our bugs and or concerns are being taken back to the devs. His responses on some of the streams are just embarassing at times.

My suggestion is to give this role over to Andang in some fashion. I do not know how they could work this out as a job for him, but things would be so much better to have someone stream who we kind of all know and trust as a voice in the community. That's my suggestion for what it's worth. This will probably turn out to be some flame war, but eh whatever. This is a community forum and I am just offering up a suggestion. I'm sure this will get buried in all of the Mordor news coming out. I cannot be the only one who feels this way, right?
    Pinched - Burglar - Founding member of the Kin that Says Nii on Landroval.

I have more of an issue with streams now being the medium where most information is given. It is so time-consuming to fish out the bits that interest you. Streams are about the lowest density information carriers available. Fine for people who like them, but please provide the same information here, on the forum, in text. Pretty pleaee.

I think Cordovan is a great Community Manager at doing his job as for Replacement, never!
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    I have more of an issue with streams now being the medium where most information is given. It is so time-consuming to fish out the bits that interest you. Streams are about the lowest density information carriers available. Fine for people who like them, but please provide the same information here, on the forum, in text. Pretty pleaee.
    ^ This is the only part i care on this thread.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by abrahamL View Post
    because it's just to save money by having one person doing both roles.

signed. Replace with someone who cares, with someone who knows what we are even talking about when we ask questions. He seems so unconcerned and shrugs off any feedback as he doesn't know the impact of issues. When the stat changes took effect recently and Throne was bugged, when told about this his reply was simply "? So it's harder now? Isn't that a good thing?" When the issue wasn't in the difficulty. But the fact it wasn't working as intended and if he was in any way knowledgable with the games mechanics he would has very seen it's a very real issue other than "oh it's hard now". Hard to rely information to devs to get fixes if the guy who's meant to be he intermediary is clueless as to what we are saying in feedback.

Cord is great with DDO, a great DDO player and CM. Stick to what you know.
    Last edited by kurtty5878; Jun 27 2017 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    I agree with this. I do appreciate those that take the time to document the news found in streams, but they shouldn't be required to

Silly thread is just silly

Cordovan is provviding a stable leadership to the LOTRO community , and long may this continue.

Keep up the good work Jerry !
    Last edited by Amorey; Jun 26 2017 at 12:07 PM.

Well I really like him. He is easy to understand, approachable and pretty fair. He has always managed to answer questions as far as I have seen. He is the community manager, and hence, he won't be able to answer questions like a dev can, but then, the devs can't put up the same front as the Cord, when dealing with the community either, so all is working well IMO.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Andang, i laughed at that..

He is a casual player riding around and reporting on patches and reading through quests.. He doesn't seem to be very invested in the game other than the regions/story.

Nah then i would rather prefer Cardovan, think he is doing a decent job. He has been answering a lot of questions during the streams.

I like him. I think he's done a great job here and I want him to stay. I don't have to put up with toxic trolls and I also don't have to worry about an infraction or warning every time I post.

I want him to stay.

As far as the streams go, I just don't have the time for it. As it is I struggle just to get to play. Haven't listened to one yet.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

The fact of the matter is that it could be, and has been, much worse in the past. Cordovan has been doing a good job on the soft skills side. Would it be nice to have a dedicated person who knows LOTRO inside and out? Sure. But if that LOTRO "expert" does a poor job in dealing with people, would it really be better? In any case, given some of the decisions that have been made lately I'm starting to doubt that even the devs have the level of knowledge that the OP is asking for from the CM.

I partially agree... While it may be informative, especially before an update, the casual play without almost any knowledge of the game is just painful. And it doesn't need to be the Dev type knowledge, it can also be just knowledge of the game. If there's nothing to learn about what's coming I don't think someone would just watch some casual running around on low levels learning the game one hour per week.

Another thumbs-up for Cordovan. He provides a lot of important, accurate and timely server information, and keeps his head when things get sticky. That's exactly what I want to see in a Community Manager. I can't comment on the content of the streams, because (like others here) I don't have the inclination to get low-bandwidth information from watching vids. If I can't read it I do without.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

While it's true that Cordovan seems to have litte knowledge about game mechanics, I still think he's the far better CM than previous CMs.

Sapience's moderation style was way too repressive and Frelorn's activities as CM were hardly noticeable by the community.

Cordovan on the contrary is frequently posting on the forums (compared to previous CMs) and I think his style of forum moderation is very balanced. He's supporting community events and giving interviews on fan-sites. Patch notes are always up on time since he is CM. He's also supervising the official Twitch stream-team which probably is a good amount of work.
    Eruadarion | Captain | on Gwaihir [EU-DE]
    www.avorthalier.eu

He does the CM work reasonably well, far better than the last few Community Managers of this game did. Still, I imagine it would go a long way if he took some time to really get to know the game he is the representative for. On the livestreams whenever it gets to a question about game mechanics he often has to admit that he just doesn't know much about it and can't give any response on the subjects. In comparison taking a look at one of his DDO livestreams he appears to be confident throughout, offhandedly mentioning mechanics and making jokes and all around producing a better livestream that likely has the DDO players walking away a bit happier than the LOTRO players. He also gets devs to come on for updates and not just reserved for anniversary/expansion events.

~ The devs don't want to balance classes, what chance did I have ~

I think Cordovan is doing a good job. He seems to be well qualified for the position, which honestly requires very little knowledge of the actual game. His position is more technical in terms of upkeeping relationships here and on social media than game design. That said, he is very clearly putting forth an effort to understand more than the basics, and a new person in the same position might not put nearly as much effort into this.

I would like to see more of the stream news published on the forums though. We used to have transcripts of the streams but I think it was a player volunteer and I'm guessing the player that was doing that gave up on them or has left the game for some reason.

Cordovan is a great community manager. Being a PR voice is a small portion of his job.

I give him A+ in community management.

Lore and Game knowledge isn't that important as compared to maintaining active communication / management of this community across dozens of websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruadarion View Post
    While it's true that Cordovan seems to have litte knowledge about game mechanics, I still think he's the far better CM than previous CMs.

Sapience's moderation style was way too repressive and Frelorn's activities as CM were hardly noticeable by the community.

Cordovan on the contrary is frequently posting on the forums (compared to previous CMs) and I think his style of forum moderation is very balanced. He's supporting community events and giving interviews on fan-sites. Patch notes are always up on time since he is CM. He's also supervising the official Twitch stream-team which probably is a good amount of work.
    Exactly this.
    Cordovanman! :P

I am sure game mechanics knowledge will arrive overtime !

I think this is a classic case of "nothing is ever enough." Cordovan actively engages with the community, - he actually answers questions, encourages fan events, streams, runs the lotro beacon, gives interviews, is a reasonable man. When was the last time we had a community manager that came anywhere near this? N e v e r

Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post
    I think this is a classic case of "nothing is ever enough." Cordovan actively engages with the community, - he actually answers questions, encourages fan events, streams, runs the lotro beacon, gives interviews, is a reasonable man. When was the last time we had a community manager that came anywhere near this? N e v e r
    There was Patience back in the old days - I still miss her! But I agree, Cordovan does a lot of good stuff and keeps the communication lines open. Full marks to the lad.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

Quote Originally Posted by abrahamL View Post
    I really try to watch and listen to Cordovan's streams, I really do, but it's just so hard when he doesn't really play Lotro. I cannot quite get how he is the community manager over Lotro except because it's just to save money by having one person doing both roles. I think it's vastly unfair to the Lotro community to have someone with so little actual Lotro experience trying to answer questions or sound concerned about issues that are brought up from viewers/players during his streams. I like Cordovan and this is not a personal attack by any means. I just feel that someone else in the community who actually plays the game and has played the game be the person who shares information with us and who can be qualified enough to actually answer questions or have our trust with making sure our bugs and or concerns are being taken back to the devs. His responses on some of the streams are just embarassing at times.

My suggestion is to give this role over to Andang in some fashion. I do not know how they could work this out as a job for him, but things would be so much better to have someone stream who we kind of all know and trust as a voice in the community. That's my suggestion for what it's worth. This will probably turn out to be some flame war, but eh whatever. This is a community forum and I am just offering up a suggestion. I'm sure this will get buried in all of the Mordor news coming out. I cannot be the only one who feels this way, right?
    He's doing a good job. He works on the spam, he's improved the tone of the community, he's attempted to reconnect with disenfranchised players, he interacts, answers questions, and doesn't go on the ego power trips that have plagued a few of the previous. While I definitely believe devs should play the game, the CM doesn't need to, even if it were an added benefit he should.

I got worried clicking on thread title, and relieved to discover it's not what it sounds like.

While the OP is voicing a concern about livestreams and content of livestreams, maybe the formulation in original post begs further precision and thread got unintentionally sidetracked.

Personally as a Lotro player (and lotro critic) since 2012, I'm very happy with current Lotro management/team, and the increased forum openness, transparency, and blue-name interactions have been a huge breath of fresh air compared to previous 'regimes', and I'll go as far as to say these positive changes and good PR has won me back as a paying customer.

I understand the OP's concern/wish for more mechanics-gameplay-oriented type of lotro streams. Yet the current lotro streams appear to serve a different purpose: simply as a community interaction outlet, more for social than content-mechanics purpose, and hence it's run by CM. The primary assets a CM role can bring to official livestream are tactfulness, good communication, openness and readiness to engage audience, sensitivity to their concerns, etc - purely on the social front. Cordovan has done a tremendous job reaching out to players who were alienated by Sapience's ''community management'' antics, and proactively facilitating a more open and down-to-earth social media presence that I can honestly call all-inclusive and welcoming - and I want to say thank you. (The forum clique-fests of 2014 are long gone).

In light of the past, it's understandable why official livestreams are entrusted to CM rather than a dev who might have more familiarity with mechanics and such. One hasty reaction or impulsive response, and it might turn into "no more raids, period, 2.0" PR disaster all over again. Well, that came from an ex-CM who barely even played his hunter, but goes to show what a difference social skills can make. And truth be told, CM's job is pure social skills and though extensive familiarity with product is never amiss, CM can't really be faulted for its absence as it is not primary to the role this position fills. (As long as the lack of familiarity doesn't manifest in egregious/embarrassing ways, like Sapience's famous "travel rations" moment). I'd rather take tact and openness/transparency in official livestreams than some kind of pretense at gameplay expertise that sacrifices social finesse. At least current official lotro streams are honest and open in their aim, not pretending to be 'pro' but simply laid back-style community outreach channels. It is what it is, and I'm happy it's being done, for what it is.

Perhaps the OP (and others) wish for a more technical under-the-hood kind of content like dev diaries used to be. It's a great suggestion in itself, just begs to be reformulated not as replacement for current lotro livestreams but as separate feature - they really do serve two different aims.
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Cordovan for Primie Minster.

Just had the forum glitch on me, so sorry if a blank copy of this heading appears.

Cordovan does a very good job; no, he isnt the most knowledgeable person about playing the game; but then the Head of Ford Motor Company doesnt know how to build a car.

All I ask for is a forum that works, with a search function that works, and minimal flame wars and spam; he does that (except the search function - which is pretty bad, and out of his control)

But HEY, thats why God invented Google!!!

I like him as a CM but as a streamer they can surely do better. Recently it took him a good 3 minutes to kill a single green landscape enemy. It simply isn't entertaining or worth watching except as an attempt to probe out information. You could easily keep having him stream and answer questions while someone with experience with lotro does the actual gameplay. This would be way more entertaining to watch and Cordovan could focus on answering questions, which makes it much more efficient.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast