We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    It's not the typical response given in this forum. There have been very few comments suggesting that lifetimers should be getting Mordor for free and most of the other people complaining about the price are swift to point out that expansions have never worked that way. The sentiment may be different on facebook but those making a noise on the forums generally have a legitimate complaint.
    Being here as long as I have been, I can assume that the players on the forums are much more understanding than the casual lifetimers on facebook. They have to go out of their way to make a forum account, and even then, they have to get permissions. It's much easier to leave a facebook comment.

I can only hope you're right. But I still see far too many lifetimers with this attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    But yeah, LOTROstream is generally pretty awful to look at. Taking a look at the rest of Twitch typically shows that the streams people are interested in are either high tier gameplay or hosted by hot girls (it's still the internet after all). Current LOTRO streamers don't do much to draw in new players.
    Also quite big part of streaming is reloved around multiplayer aspects of stuff, so in lotros case group stuff + pvp. Imo pvp makes one of best streaming things in terms of what is interesting to follow from pure gameplay standpoint because gameplay is dynamic and impossiblet to tell what happens next. If streamer is soloer that actively attacks it can be really interesting in comparison to killing 400 worms in Throllshaws or setting their vault for 30 minutes. But hey what I know anything about streaming, but that most of top 10 streamed games are either PvP centric or new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Also quite big part of streaming is reloved around multiplayer aspects of stuff, so in lotros case group stuff + pvp. Imo pvp makes one of best streaming things in terms of what is interesting to follow from pure gameplay standpoint because gameplay is dynamic and impossiblet to tell what happens next. If streamer is soloer that actively attacks it can be really interesting in comparison to killing 400 worms in Throllshaws or setting their vault for 30 minutes. But hey what I know anything about streaming, but that most of top 10 streamed games are either PvP centric or new releases.
    That's true. I think a lot of the LotroStream streamers pick something easy and solo to do while streaming simply because it's easier to moderate and they are afraid of losing their power/being banned. You never know when someone you're grouped in pvp/raids with might curse or do something that isn't allowed in the stream. It's also very easy to get caught up in moments and forget you're streaming and do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Asad View Post
    If you know what would be way more cool than watching me fish for an hour and ten minutes during Summer Festival, then for goodness sake COME AND STREAM LOTRO! There are plenty of available time slots on LOTROstream for you to come and show us how awesome you are, and we'd be glad to have your help populating the channel with quality streaming. Twitch is free, OBS Studio is free, web cams are cheap, and presumably you already own a PC and a LOTRO account.

A rising tide raises all boats. The more people that are streaming and watching LOTRO, the more recognition LOTRO will enjoy with gamers on Twitch. Be awesome like SpiLo and come stream LOTRO. Show off your mad skills, play and stream LOTRO your way, and a spot on LOTROstream will be yours easily enough. You're almost certainly going to be a better streamer than me, the only difference is I'm the one who showed up and said, "I'll do it."

See you on Twitch!

Big Ed Mustafa
    personally i'd rather just play the game without having to cater to an audience because that is a distraction for me. some people like to stream, im just not one of those people.

even if i were to stream, it would be heavily dependent on the timeslot. a bad timeslot lowers stream potential (i.e. 9am sundays for pvp-based stream)
    and there is a high chance of there being vulgar language because people in raid will curse on voice. its really not that big of a deal but it would break the rules

Quote Originally Posted by The_Memes View Post
    personally i'd rather just play the game without having to cater to an audience because that is a distraction for me. some people like to stream, im just not one of those people.

even if i were to stream, it would be heavily dependent on the timeslot. a bad timeslot lowers stream potential (i.e. 9am sundays for pvp-based stream)
    and there is a high chance of there being vulgar language because people in raid will curse on voice. its really not that big of a deal but it would break the rules
    What time would you suggest for a better slot for PvP?
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Arkenstone~

~Rank 13 Warg, Arkenstone~

Quote Originally Posted by Spilo View Post
    What time would you suggest for a better slot for PvP?
    tbh it depends on what you want to do. idk much about solo action as i tend to group more

there is action weekdays between 3pm and 10pm
    weekends are more consistent with friday/saturday/sunday 12pm-10pm being decent times

I tuned in for a few minutes yesterday and there was a streamer on messing with their outfit. It goes like that for a bit so I ask her if she is going to do anything in the game. She's says no and that all she planned for that stream time was the outfit. Is this the content Lotro wants to promote? I also tuned in at night and there was again nothing happening in the stream. The streamer was just standing there on a level 50 bear talking about other games compared to Lotro.

If you look at popular games, the streamers are streaming actual content. Unless it is a hot chick and then it doesn't really matter what they're doing. Again, I'm not watching either way since the concept doesn't appeal to me all that much outside of watching the championship games in league and dota. I do believe Lotro community managers need to decide if creating an outfit on stream and that being the only thing done for that segment is worth having on their official Lotro stream channel. If it isn't and you don't have alternatives at the moment, you need to create a new post and incentives to get Active, Decent,, and Entertaining content with active probably being the most important.
    Answer questions with a question.
    Perception=Reality
    Just because you got it done, Doesnt mean you did it well.

Something I think everyone needs to keep in perspective is that LOTRO is not, has never been nor will it ever be a PVP focused MMO, ever. PVP makes up such a small fraction of this game that calling for streams to showcase PVP gameplay over PVE questing, raids, RP, etc. really isn't going to serve the community very well. LOTRO is a story-driven MMO first and foremost. Many of the content creators that stream LOTRO in the official LOTROstream channel showcase this type of content there. Many are new to streaming. Some are new to the game entirely. LOTRO offers a wide range of activities for players and those activities are what make up a majority of the streaming content. Some shows on LOTROstream are more popular than others. Viewers tend to gravitate to what they want to watch. Spilo came in and filled a void for PVP content, which is likely why Cordovan added him to the team. We used to have AndrewAllStars doing PVP on his Loremaster but he chose to leave the team for personal reasons and still streams LOTRO on his personal channel, as do the rest of us. Spilo's show has been very successful in it's first few weeks and it is nice to see PVP content being shown again.

One thing a lot of people here forget or don't know is that the streamers that have a show on LOTROstream volunteer their time to stream there because they love the game and they want to help grow the game and the community. In the past nine months, viewership on LOTROstream has grown considerably and the follower count has nearly doubled. That is all due, in large part, to the content that is presented on the channel by the streamers that play all aspects of the game. If the streamers weren't showing the game and content that viewers want to see, I doubt there would be that kind of growth.

Regarding the comments in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by spikethe3rd View Post
    To echo what the comrades said, The only current streamer that knows how to play the game at level cap and the rest should take note on how to engage with their viewers correctly. Anddddd you didn't even disgustingly blow snot all over your keyboard for 2 hours like someone else who streams so that's good too I guess.
    You have 23 followers to your twitch stream and 43 subscribers to your youtube channel. Explain how, exactly, you feel qualified to pass judgement on streamers for their ability to engage their viewers, especially considering some of them have 5 to 10 times the number of followers you do.

finally a streamer who wont bore us with festivals and lvl 13 landscape quests, good decision by lotro
    only thing i did not like was trigger-happy moderator deleted messages for frivolous reasons like caps... but nothing we can do about that
    If festivals and landscape content bore you, go watch something else. There are thousands of channels on twitch. Probably something more suitable to your liking. Most channels on twitch will mute you for excessive caps. We don't like being shouted at.

Quote Originally Posted by hurther View Post
    Now we just need tons more decent streamers and push out all you horrible little messes that dont know how to play the game, from the official channel, I thought it was there to entice and draw people in to play Lotro not scare them away. Sheesh, Such a bad example, play lotro and this is what you could look like if you sit around and drink mountain dew all day.. No thank you.
    And this is what it eventually degrades into. Viewers making personal attacks against streamers because you can hide behind the relative anonymity of the internet and your keyboard. You think you can do better? Put up or shut up. But you don't need to make personal attacks against people simply because they don't fit your model of the perfect streamer. Grow up.

quoted for truth
    there is a disproportionate number of casual streamers...
    ...what we have now is the majority of the "stream team" are casuals
    Disproportionate by who's standards? Do you have hard numbers regarding the playstyles of the entire LOTRO popultaion? I doubt it. It goes back to my first comments. This game is not all about PVP and End-game raids for everyone. You cannot simply assume that what is important aspects of gameplay for you are the priorities for everyone else. And we're not all casuals, either. I've been leading raids every week for months now. Granted, we're a bunch of LVL 50 capped characters raiding The Rift, but it's far from landscape content. I started showcasing on-level Rift raids in my shows because it's an aspect of gameplay that many viewers never get to see since the Rift content doesn't scale to 105. Being overlevelled like that breaks game mechanics, is no challenge at all and would probably be pretty boring after one or two runs. Our group has now moved on to Lvl 60 and Moria content. Many viewers say they enjoy watching what we have been doing. For those in our raiding group, it's been a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by esdumby View Post
    I don't find watching someone else play any video game all that entertaining
    That right there says it all. Maybe watching how other people actually play LOTRO just isn't for you.

As for the Lifetime VIP account holders that think everything should be free in the game forever...what can I say? Expansions were never free, though I suppose they complained every time a new expansion came out. They haven't offered lifetime accounts since 2007. They will never offer them again. Perhaps these are players that haven't been playing since 2008 when Moria released. Whatever the case, they don't make up the majority of lifetimers. I have a lifetime account (two, actually) and I still pay into the various game systems for things I want that require money like Premium Housing, etc. I consider it money well spent to support a game I love to play and have been playing for 10 years. I'll buy the Mordor expansion for day 1 but I'm not committed to the $130 pack. I want value for my money and there is a lot in that package I don't want or need. Yes, I buy stuff in the LOTRO store when there are sales. I'm frugal. Why wouldn't I be?

So I guess my point in all of this is...cut the streamers some slack. They are a great bunch of people that are probably more representative of this game's player base than you might want to admit. They are responsible for bringing more awareness to the game in recent months than any of you probably have and that helps bring in revenue to SSG so they can keep making the game so that you have a game to still play. If you don't like their playstyle, go watch someone else that you do like. If you can't find a show you like, start your own. LOTROstream is open to anyone. All you have to do is contact Cordovan, the community manager and make a case for what you want to do. At the very least, if there is some other content you would like to see more regularly on LOTROstream, drop Cordovan a message telling him so. I'm sure he'll look for more streams like that if enough people ask.
    Twitch LOTRO streamer and member of the official LOTROstream team.
    www.twitch.tv/xEv1LTw1Nx
    www.twitch.tv/lotrostream

There's no issue with people streaming low tier content. There's an issue if the official stream is predominantly streaming low tier content.

Take a look at twitch and within a second you can see that the audience are mostly gamers. It's like an athlete watching sports, they aren't really interested in watching the guy down the street play; they want to watch the professionals. Twitch follows this trend, the top streams on most games are generally high level PvP or PvE content being played to a high level. It's what attracts the average gamer. Do you want to see someone roaming the woods having a 30 second battle with a boar or do you want to watch 12 people tackle a Balrog?

The LOTROStream in its current implementation does nothing to attract new players. The people who stream aren't shining examples of knowledge on the game they are playing. You may try to mock redcoat_sa but at least he actively maintains a discord discussing how to tackle the highest tier of content and willingly gives information on builds: He knows his stuff, that's a rare sight in this game.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

first off, nice wall of text

Quote Originally Posted by xEv1LTw1Nx View Post
    You have 23 followers to your twitch stream and 43 subscribers to your youtube channel. Explain how, exactly, you feel qualified to pass judgement on streamers for their ability to engage their viewers, especially considering some of them have 5 to 10 times the number of followers you do.
    that is irrelevant, what do follower/subscriber numbers have to do with the validity of a statement?
    you are dismissing valid criticism just because it comes from a source that you don't like, and more importantly, that person is 100x more knowledgeable than all of the casual streamers combined

And this is what it eventually degrades into. Viewers making personal attacks against streamers because you can hide behind the relative anonymity of the internet and your keyboard. You think you can do better? Put up or shut up. But you don't need to make personal attacks against people simply because they don't fit your model of the perfect streamer. Grow up.
    ah yes, the classic excuse. we are the trolls because we criticize things that are clearly bad
    "we are new to streaming but we cant take any criticism"

Disproportionate by who's standards? Do you have hard numbers regarding the playstyles of the entire LOTRO popultaion? I doubt it. It goes back to my first comments. This game is not all about PVP and End-game raids for everyone. You cannot simply assume that what is important aspects of gameplay for you are the priorities for everyone else. And we're not all casuals, either. I've been leading raids every week for months now. Granted, we're a bunch of LVL 50 capped characters raiding The Rift, but it's far from landscape content. I started showcasing on-level Rift raids in my shows because it's an aspect of gameplay that many viewers never get to see since the Rift content doesn't scale to 105. Being overlevelled like that breaks game mechanics, is no challenge at all and would probably be pretty boring after one or two runs. Our group has now moved on to Lvl 60 and Moria content. Many viewers say they enjoy watching what we have been doing. For those in our raiding group, it's been a lot of fun.
    disproportionate according to the standards set by the dictionary. you can't have something be disproportionate according to 1 person, it either is or it isnt. and the numbers clearly indicate that it is disproportionate
    i'll cut you some slack because you said that you were new to streaming so you probably dont know this, but most of if not all successful streams feature new releases or pvp

As for the Lifetime VIP account holders that think everything should be free in the game forever...what can I say? Expansions were never free, though I suppose they complained every time a new expansion came out. They haven't offered lifetime accounts since 2007. They will never offer them again. Perhaps these are players that haven't been playing since 2008 when Moria released. Whatever the case, they don't make up the majority of lifetimers. I have a lifetime account (two, actually) and I still pay into the various game systems for things I want that require money like Premium Housing, etc. I consider it money well spent to support a game I love to play and have been playing for 10 years. I'll buy the Mordor expansion for day 1 but I'm not committed to the $130 pack. I want value for my money and there is a lot in that package I don't want or need. Yes, I buy stuff in the LOTRO store when there are sales. I'm frugal. Why wouldn't I be?
    <--- we know you're lifetime, it's not hard to deduce
    this thread isnt about lifetimers, so there's no reason to bring that up

So I guess my point in all of this is...cut the streamers some slack. They are a great bunch of people that are probably more representative of this game's player base than you might want to admit. They are responsible for bringing more awareness to the game in recent months than any of you probably have and that helps bring in revenue to SSG so they can keep making the game so that you have a game to still play. If you don't like their playstyle, go watch someone else that you do like. If you can't find a show you like, start your own. LOTROstream is open to anyone. All you have to do is contact Cordovan, the community manager and make a case for what you want to do. At the very least, if there is some other content you would like to see more regularly on LOTROstream, drop Cordovan a message telling him so. I'm sure he'll look for more streams like that if enough people ask.
    this is simply not true at all, good ingame content brings in revenue, not casuals with an audience of 20 people showing 5+ year old content and adjusting their cosmetics for 2 hours

i think being an official streamer has distorted your view on things, as most of what you said is either not true or irrelevant.
    or you were like that before and now you're a streamer so you have an audience now

Something I think everyone needs to keep in perspective is that LOTRO is not, has never been nor will it ever be a PVP focused MMO, ever. PVP makes up such a small fraction of this game that calling for streams to showcase PVP gameplay over PVE questing, raids, RP, etc. really isn't going to serve the community very well.

Regarding the comments in this thread:

If festivals and landscape content bore you, go watch something else. There are thousands of channels on twitch. Probably something more suitable to your liking. Most channels on twitch will mute you for excessive caps. We don't like being shouted at.

First of all, you disobeyed Cordovan's law of "not replying to this thread" in the LotroStream Slack. Naughty boy.

Secondly, I shortened your wall of text to address the issues I can comment on.

"LOTRO is not, has never been nor will it ever be a PVP focused MMO"

I am sorry, but until they make PVP Free to play for both sides, with no restrictions, I fail to see any evidence that suggests to the contrary that the only reason LOTRO hasn't died yet is due to PVP requiring a subscription, along with it being the longest grind in the game.

In reply to TheMemes, you said:

as The_Memes already said, the vast majority of content streamed on the Lotro twitch is not festival, raid, current questing or pvp. It is simply people doing mundane tasks within the game, because they lack the skill to do anything interesting, to avoid being slated in the chat.

As to your last comment about the streamers. They are not great people. When you had a Discord server instead of Slack, plenty of your beloved streamers were happily giving out screenshots of you all bickering amongst yourselves. You've smartened up since moving to Slack, but you are frankly all children to any players that have seen those screenshots. Eldalleth is also well known for banning and muting players asking any questions regarding PVP or Raiding/Balance.

No. I'm sorry, but no. the streamers have done little to slow the depopulation of this game as will the Mordor Expansion. The bottom line is, the engine, servers, and marketing are needing attention.

The game is also free to play, so doing/advertising free to play content while streaming is not 'bringing more revenue to SSG'. That is just false.

All right, enough sniping. We welcome all sorts of people on LOTROstream, so if you aren't seeing what you want, give it a shot yourself. As for me not currently doing end-game raiding, well, that's been extensively discussed elsewhere, no need to re-hash it.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2