We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which class has the best LI legacies?

:::insert rant on how the entire LI system totally sucks:::

Background: I have one hunter at the cap, currently grinding up two 1st age LI's

Okay, so I got my Captain into Moria, got a couple LI's, and -whew- I forgot how underwhelming they are. My lvl 40 halberd does more damage than my lvl 50 LI halberd. The Captain legacies were -meh- 10% buffs for a couple healing skills and 10% reduced power costs. Oh yeah, I've sure been waiting for that. 50 steps forward to go 10 steps back... It's like the devs reward you for reaching a major goal in the game by giving you handicapped rewards --basically they reward you by sucking more fun out of the game... I don't want to grind and grind through 50 lvls of LI trash just to get to a few better imbued legacies. I love my Captain, but I'm stopping at lvl 50.

So the question is: is there a class that actually has a pretty solid list of good legacies (Good > Meh) when you finally get your LI's? ...Worried the answer might be NONE...
    Last edited by MagicVoice; Jun 24 2017 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicVoice View Post
    My lvl 40 halberd does more damage than my lvl 50 LI halberd
    This isn't true.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of LI's.

When LI's first came out, they were for level capped players mainly. Once the level cap went up, they added more, and more, and so on until we hit level 100.

What does this mean?

It means that your LI's under level 100 are almost entirely irrelevant. You don't need good ones to easily breeze through leveling content. They're just there, and the grind for better ones is optional until you reach level 100 where you're meant to built one that lasts and invest time into it.

I'm not defending the system, it is a bit of a mess, but saying you quit your captain because your LI is bad despite it only being relevant for a day or two before you get a new one is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by To0n View Post

When LI's first came out, they were for level capped players mainly. Once the level cap went up, they added more, and more, and so on until we hit level 100.

What does this mean?

It means that your LI's under level 100 are almost entirely irrelevant. You don't need good ones to easily breeze through leveling content. They're just there, and the grind for better ones is optional until you reach level 100 where you're meant to built one that lasts and invest time into it.

I'm not defending the system, it is a bit of a mess, but saying you quit your captain because your LI is bad despite it only being relevant for a day or two before you get a new one is silly.
    I'm a bit on-again off-again so haven't managed to catch up to cap. My understanding of leveling with LIs:

Use them. You aren't finding better, and not even a gold level 40 will match a lousy level 50 LI.
    Fill your slots. It is better to grab up that LI-xp than to have a high level LI when leveling.
    Keep your xp runes (this is from various guides, but they insist you will need it later. I can't directly vouch for it. Smaller xp ones might make more sense to use than to store).
    Fill your relic slots: a level 1 relic (worth: nearly 0) provides about half what an capped [basic] relic provides. Also they are geometric, so stuffing one in a few levels below your max relic costs almost nothing to you.
    remember to reforge your LIs as they level. It is best to render them at 11,21,31,41,51,60 and the "best" time varies according to the goals of the grinder (I'm shooting for 60 now, but can't be bothered to do the math).

Maybe when I hit 100 I'll build a third age one (on the basis that it will take awhile to cap). There's little reason to bother with first and second age at level 50 (although I think I had one [2nd age] at one point, and it may have thrown me off).
    In a hole there lived a wumpus...

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemond71 View Post
    This isn't true.
    Didn't think I'd have to post the stats, but since two replies are calling me a fibber --here you go:

Exceptional Halberd of the Watch
    Item level: 47
    78-129
    41.4 DPS
    Wield: 2% Auto-attack Critical Hit Chance
    +57 Might
    +57 Vitality
    +40 Will
    +225 Critical rating
    Minimum level: 40

Captain's Halberd of the Third Age (1st LI acquired at lvl 50)
    76-127
    40.7 DPS
    +459 Parry Rating
    +51 Maximum Power
    +51 Maximum Morale
    -1% Melee Skill Power Cost
    +1 Pressing Attack Max Targets
    +3% Inspire Damage

Sure Strike with lvl 40 Halberd Equipped: 207-311 Common
    Sure Strike with lvl 50 LI Halberd Equipped: 204-306 Common <== good thing I made it to lvl 50, so now I can do *less* damage...

The emblem is even worse:

Intricately Woven Grand Master Standard of War
    Item level 50
    +5% Melee Damage when wielded
    +2752 Physical Mastery Rating
    +228 Morale

Captain's Emblem of the Third Age (lvl 51)
    +0.5% Tactical Healing Rating
    +1% Healing Critical MAgnitude
    +1% Rallying Cry Healing
    -1% Words of Courage Power/Morale Cost

You know what's even more ironic? You have to equip your first LI in order to level it up --you can't just slot it and level it while using a better weapon.
    Last edited by MagicVoice; Jul 01 2017 at 02:55 AM.

What does this mean?
    Thanks for history. I didn't realize that they originally were intended to give level-capped players something else to "level up." That makes sense.

Not silly at all. I'm looking at 50 levels of grinding with no rewards, just liabilities. The LI system made leveling my hunter totally frustrating while I was working to reach the cap. All lvl 50-99 bows or off-hand weapons were constantly working against me with terrible legacies. 50 levels. Lots of content, no rewards. Sure I can craft up some armor and jewelry. I can even craft LI's now, but why would I want to--

--unless there is a class whose LI legacies are actually not bad on the main. That might be a little more fun to run the next 50 levels with.

The Burglar and the Beorning look to have some slightly more usable legacies. I haven't played either past lvl 40, so I'm not sure about how that really plays out. I was afraid everyone was going to say that the Warden has the most consistently above average legacies. I love the Warden but I suck at Gambits.
    Last edited by MagicVoice; Jul 01 2017 at 02:42 AM.

Here are the legs you can get:
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cap...ndary_Legacies
    There's a bit of luck involved in getting the legacies you want, boosting a particular damage skill and so on. You can also swap in legacies off another LI with a bit of work.
    Your start LI will be very limited but should still last you well into the level 50s unless you xp stop and max out along the way. If you do xp stop, there will indeed be some weaponry available that might be better, not least the level 50 LIs you might find. I usually don't swap them out until 55 60 though but I'm lazy.

If you max your dps leg, the first one, it should bump you into a higher base damage than your old halberd.

Sadly can't find that old list of LI passives now but those will surely make any LI you get your hands on far better than a regular weapon. Then there's the class slot.

Next thing on the list is your old halberd has common damage. That damage type is less likely to penetrate mob resistances than the various other damage types available. I think you get a dwarf dmg scroll to apply to your start LI. Use it. There are new easy to obtain damage type scrolls from dailies at Echad Dunnan or if it's Dolven View.

The number displayed is not everything.

:::insert rant on how the entire LI system totally sucks:::

Background: I have one hunter at the cap, currently grinding up two 1st age LI's

Okay, so I got my Captain into Moria, got a couple LI's, and -whew- I forgot how underwhelming they are. My lvl 40 halberd does more damage than my lvl 50 LI halberd. The Captain legacies were -meh- 10% buffs for a couple healing skills and 10% reduced power costs. Oh yeah, I've sure been waiting for that. 50 steps forward to go 10 steps back... It's like the devs reward you for reaching a major goal in the game by giving you handicapped rewards --basically they reward you by sucking more fun out of the game... I don't want to grind and grind through 50 lvls of LI trash just to get to a few better imbued legacies. I love my Captain, but I'm stopping at lvl 50.

So the question is: is there a class that actually has a pretty solid list of good legacies (Good > Meh) when you finally get your LI's? ...Worried the answer might be NONE...
    Captains have really solid legacies if you get the right ones. Sadly, while leveling this isn't always the case.
    Eredor-Champion, Ereworn-Minstrel, Ereshorn-Runekeeper, Eresworn-Hunter, Eremourn-Burglar, Erehorn-Captain, Erelorn-Warden, Eretorn-Lore-Master, Erescorn-Guardian... And Erecorn-Master Farmer

Didn't think I'd have to post the stats, but since two replies are calling me a fibber --here you go:

Exceptional Halberd of the Watch
    Item level: 47
    78-129
    41.4 DPS
    +57 Might
    +57 Vitality
    +40 Will
    +225 Critical rating
    Minimum level: 40

76-127
    40.7 DPS
    +459 Parry Rating
    +51 Maximum Power
    +51 Maximum Morale
    -1% Melee Skill Power Cost
    +1 Pressing Attack Max Targets
    +3% Inspire Damage

Sure Strike with lvl 40 Halberd Equipped: 207-311 Common
    Sure Strike with lvl 50 LI Halberd Equipped: 204-306 Common <== good thing I made it to lvl 50, so now I can do *less* damage...
    You are looking at the unleveled LI. Fully leveled DPS here reads:

90-149
    47.8 DPS

And up to 6 legacies that can make you and your skills stronger

And this is only the starter LI. They get much stronger the higher the level and lower the age of the LI is.

You can find the progression of LI DPS here:

http://sny.name/LOTRO/li-progression.html

The emblem is even worse:

Intricately Woven Grand Master Standard of War
    Item level 50
    +5% Melee Damage when wielded
    +2752 Physical Mastery Rating
    +228 Morale

Captain's Emblem of the Third Age (lvl 51)
    +0.5% Tactical Healing Rating
    +1% Healing Critical MAgnitude
    +1% Rallying Cry Healing
    -1% Words of Courage Power/Morale Cost

You know what's even more ironic? You have to equip your first LI in order to level it up --you can't just slot it and level it while using a better weapon.
    You know that the Emblem does not replace the Standard, but that you can use them both at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Schaijian View Post
    You are looking at the unleveled LI. Fully leveled DPS here reads:

90-149
    47.8 DPS

You know that the Emblem does not replace the Standard, but that you can use them both at the same time?
    Whew! Nice info about the emblem. I assumed it went in the Banner Slot. Equipped. Thanks!

Back to the Halberd --I note that it does not start out fully leveled. So the 50 steps forward to go 10 steps back remains unchanged... When you first get it, it's worse than a lvl 40 weapon.