We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Scheduled Server Downtime on the 21st

From https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...79#post7732879

Specifically:

The LOTRO Game Servers will be brought down on Wednesday, June 21st from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for maintenance. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

NOTE: There will be a small game update with this downtime due to us doing some behind-the-scenes LOTRO Store work. People on XP and Vista will need to re-do the workaround.
    Why won't you do the right thing and drop XP and Vista support?

You are only enabling people to continue to be insecure.

Edit:

Even Blizzard gets it: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753178086

Starting later this year, we will begin the process of ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions.

After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Jun 20 2017 at 06:19 PM.

I'm sure they will eventually, but right now, just before a major expansion is about to be released, isn't a good time for them financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieven View Post
    I'm sure they will eventually, but right now, just before a major expansion is about to be released, isn't a good time for them financially.
    I have yet to find any solid info on the expansion, so it's almost like the expansion is vaporware at this point =/

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Yeah, even the developer of the most popular mmorpg ever that pulls in $billions in yearly revenue is deciding to drop support for WoW and many of their newer games that were released while Windows 7 or 8 was the current OS..

SSG, the recently spun-off indie studio that only has two franchise IPs that have been out for the last decade, are definitely in similar enough standing to follow suit and enjoy the same results as Blizzard.

[/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by Alesari View Post
    Yeah, even the developer of the most popular mmorpg ever that pulls in $billions in yearly revenue is deciding to drop support for WoW and many of their newer games that were released while Windows 7 or 8 was the current OS..

SSG, the recently spun-off indie studio that only has two franchise IPs that have been out for the last decade, are definitely in similar enough standing to follow suit and enjoy the same results as Blizzard.

[/sarcasm]
    And yet, if they optimize the game client to work with newer versions of Windows (which the game client is currently not optimized for), it's going to make LotRO more appealing to newer players - especially those coming in from Steam.

Newer players = more revenue = more features.

To do that, SSG needs to break the chains of legacy support, or SSG will continue to be tied down by ensuring that whatever solutions they figure out for our performance issues must also work for XP and Vista - with XP's architecture being archaic compared to modern Windows versions.

The only way to "optimise" the game is to re write the entire code; that is unlikely to happen as they cannot even re-write the code for the known geographic areas that cause issues - ie Breetown, Minas T, etc.

The game isnt optimised to run on anything, it just runs - sort of.

I'm sure I'll get some flames, but I can think of 3 reasons why people didn't or won't upgrade to win10 from other versions:

1 - Their current hardware will not allow them to make the upgrade. This may be as simple as HDD or RAM size or outdated hardware that run win10. These people may simply not be able to afford the purchase of a new computer or new hardware. Such would be my situation at the present time.
    2 - Perhaps at the time of the free upgrade from win7 and win8 they were in the situation of #1 above but have since upgraded some of their hardware so win10 can now run on their machine. However a search shows that the cost to upgrade the OS is about $120 on Amazon and they simply cannot afford to make the purchase. Such would be my situation at the present time.
    3 - The person might have or had an affinity for winXP or win7 and when the end of support dates arrived they just couldn't or wouldn't upgrade. This might be the case for any number of reasons including peripheral hardware support and network incompatibility.

I'm sure there are other reasons to have not upgraded to win10 and some of (note these two words) you may disregard these reasons as ridiculous or lazy or unwarranted or whatever. But, forcing people to upgrade their OS is not really viable or justifiable and passing some sort of judgement on them because they can't or won't is not your place. In the case of LOTRO, forcing an upgrade may also force these users out of the game. Given the magnitude of the complaints and the fact that the developers came up with a workaround shows that this could encompass a fair number. Loosing these players may be fine with some folks, but in truth, the client has not been optimized for either win8 or win10, so there is no reason to exclude other OS users.

Just my opinion.
    ~~ If it hurts, it means you're still alive so you can stop whining. Now. ~~

Let's debunk some...

Quote Originally Posted by Earthsuit View Post
    1 - Their current hardware will not allow them to make the upgrade. This may be as simple as HDD or RAM size or outdated hardware that run win10. These people may simply not be able to afford the purchase of a new computer or new hardware. Such would be my situation at the present time.
    So you can afford the monthly sub but not a machine to suppport win 7 or 10? You can go to ANY local university's surplus sale and pick up an intel-based dual core machine with 4gb of ram (plenty for 7 or 10) for $30 .. 2 moths of your sub. This includes a fully licensed version of win 7.

2 - Perhaps at the time of the free upgrade from win7 and win8 they were in the situation of #1 above but have since upgraded some of their hardware so win10 can now run on their machine. However a search shows that the cost to upgrade the OS is about $120 on Amazon and they simply cannot afford to make the purchase. Such would be my situation at the present time.
    You can upgrade for free, still, today, it's just not discussed. Download the appropriate ISO of win 10 (32 or 64 bit) and install directly over your activated, legit version of win 7, it will automatically activate and you are golden. Search google for "creator's update media creation tool", it will allow you to download that update which is a full version of win 10. You just need to burn it to a DVD and you're on your way.

The person might have or had an affinity for winXP or win7 and when the end of support dates arrived they just couldn't or wouldn't upgrade. This might be the case for any number of reasons including peripheral hardware support and network incompatibility.
    See above, cheap machines are to be had all over the place if you just look (with windows installed and activated). If someone chooses not to upgrade because "they aren't comfortable with it", well that's their problem. Cars were invented, you could still ride a horse but you couldn't on expressways. The world has gotten too comfortable with accomodating every little nuance, if someone can dream it up it needs to be accomodated... I couldn't disagree more strenuously.

Just my opinion.

And mine is this - invest the time and dollars into ADVANCING the state of the game, not going backwards.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 (active) Mini

And yet, if they optimize the game client to work with newer versions of Windows (which the game client is currently not optimized for)
    What. The client and game works fine with windows 8 and 10. The only issue i've heard about involving windows 10 was actually a SweetFx issue..

our performance issues
    Pretty sure the consensus is that it's server-side.

with XP's architecture being archaic
    the windows nt kernel overall? that's not quite a world of differences for a game..
    directx? ssg would never drop dx9.
    Last edited by Alesari; Jun 21 2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irin19 View Post

And mine is this - invest the time and dollars into ADVANCING the state of the game, not going backwards.
    You, sir/ma'am win the internet of the day.
    +10

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtower View Post
    Almagnus is right about this.

+1 signed.
    I have to agree with him too. And it's not expensive to get a new PC. I have a cheap six hundred dollar laptop that plays LOTRO at ultra high. One of the advantages of playing older games.

I can only imagine how cheap you can get an actual desktop with Windows 10 that will play LOTRO.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

:::sighs:::

SO many tech heads that believe they know what is best and hint at secrets and deals to be had, but, no real data.

Wouldn't it be nice if they, instead of castigating and denigrating players with lower incomes for whatever reason (country of origin, family responsibilities, etc.), wouldn't it be really nice if they put the same amount of effort they put into tearing others down instead into posting these secrets and tips and places to get alleged cheap $30 computers in the Community & Social area?

Wouldn't it be nice if they were actually a tiny bit helpful instead of washing people's screens with their brand of acid laced commentary?

Yes, it would be nice. Am I hopeful? Yes. Do I expect it? Not really. These type never seem to go out of their way for anyone but themselves.
    Irritating people? USE the Ignore feature under Community > Friends & Contacts > Edit Ignore List and ADD THEM there. Or, click this - EDIT IGNORE LIST. Btw, MMO never meant "all together now". It simply means a server capable of supporting simultaneous play of hundreds or even thousands of players. Anything else is false narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Namma View Post

SO many tech heads that believe they know what is best and hint at secrets and deals to be had, but, no real data.

Wouldn't it be nice if they, instead of castigating and denigrating players with lower incomes for whatever reason (country of origin, family responsibilities, etc.), wouldn't it be really nice if they put the same amount of effort they put into tearing others down instead into posting these secrets and tips and places to get alleged cheap $30 computers in the Community & Social area?

Wouldn't it be nice if they were actually a tiny bit helpful instead of washing people's screens with their brand of acid laced commentary?

Yes, it would be nice. Am I hopeful? Yes. Do I expect it? Not really. These type never seem to go out of their way for anyone but themselves.
    Open google, type in "cheap computer that runs w10", get something for 30ish bucks. Problem solved [/s]

Anyway, as someone who does have limited income, I find this whole argument for not upgrading cause of money just gibberish. There are so many laptops and older PC hardware parts out and about that can manage this game effortlessly, and all for the price of a 2nd meal at McDonalds.
    Its not mythically hard to find either, but again, it doesnt just appear out of thin air, you gotta do some research, know what you can get from the hardware you're buying and is it worth it in the end.

Best example would be myself. I had the same laptop for 7 years now, old i3 with iGPU (Intel hd 3000) with windows 7. Back then, laptop cost 250$, and it was such luxury for me, but it was worth it. Reason I replaced it...well, obviously, it sucks now. Standards changed, tech advanced and demands went up. So, I scrounged up some money, gotten rid of some "vices" and stopped spending unless it was actually needed. A month into it, I got a brand new i7, 8gb dd3 ram, nvidia gpu with 2gb of ram and 740gb hdd. For 150$. And win10 preinstalled. For me, thats a lot of money (i can live for over a month on that money alone here), but it was well worth it.

Anyway gonna cut it short. Decent hardware isnt expensive, and a lot of w10/7 capable hardware are well within everyones budget here. But if you are seriously still complaining about a game not running well on your TI82 calculator (sarcasm), and you dont have the money to afford a new (perhaps better or modern would be better wording) pc/laptop, then maybe the game isnt an issue, its you.

It also would not hurt if they took the time to understand that just because things like that exist where they live doesn't mean that it is the case everywhere. LOTRO playerbase is not limited to the US and while there are many places in the US to find such deals on low cost systems, the same cannot be said for the entire world.
    Signatures are overrated.

I'd bet you a burrito that you can get a computer capable of running Windows 7 and LotRO at Goodwill these days.

There is literally no GOOD excuse not to upgrade at this point.

And yet, if they optimize the game client to work with newer versions of Windows (which the game client is currently not optimized for), it's going to make LotRO more appealing to newer players - especially those coming in from Steam.
    you know I am sorry but, I am real tired of hearing about steam. As far as I am concerned anyone who plays through steam is NOT supporting LOTRO, you are supporting steam. In my opinion SSG should stop allowing players to play through or buy items through steam. Considering the fact that by steams own numbers approx. 1700 people play LoTRO through steam and the estimated number of players who log in to LOTRO daily is 15,000. The number of people who play through steam are an insignificant amount. However I know why they are doing it they are making some amount of money (all be it SSG probably gets 50% if that much). Hmm a financial decision I guess that could mean continuing support for XP and vista is a financial decision too.

Let us also remember Wow has at last estimate I saw 7 million paying players. I am sure they can withstand a loss of xp and vista players to the player base. After all from 2011 - 2016 WoW paid subs dropped from 12 million to 6 million and Wow is still standing. If LOTRO were to loose any number of players I have a feeling the doors would be closing for everyone at this point. Every LOTRO player is needed right now especially with Mordor coming, You folks who don't like XP and Vista players need to accept this just like I need to accept people playing through steam are needed or LOTRO could be gone for all of us.

I am sure I will get more than a few flames from this but, just shows the closed mindedness of some of you who don't want to think about the big picture. The fact is unless you are an SSG employee you have no clue why they do what they do you are just guessing as am I .

Quote Originally Posted by Rossiter84 View Post
    you know I am sorry but, I am real tired of hearing about steam. As far as I am concerned anyone who plays through steam is NOT supporting LOTRO, you are supporting steam. In my opinion SSG should stop allowing players to play through or buy items through steam. Considering the fact that by steams own numbers approx. 1700 people play LoTRO through steam and the estimated number of players who log in to LOTRO daily is 15,000. The number of people who play through steam are an insignificant amount. However I know why they are doing it they are making some amount of money (all be it SSG probably gets 50% if that much. Hmm a financial decision I guess that could mean continuing support for XP and vista is a financial decision too .
    O.O
    Holy....wow. Okay....
    Time to bring out the old "data out of my head" argument.

There is no difference between playing on steam and ... "native" (?) client. At all. 0. Na-da. Zulch.
    You can literally download LOTRO through steam, delete steam itself, and launch the game from steamapp file where the game is stored when it was being downloaded/installed.
    Additionally, you cannot backup your claim that LOTRO gets 15000 daily log ins, as SSG to my understanding doesn't post those numbers publically.
    Regarding steam sales, nobody knows how big of a cut steam takes for the purchases, but keep in mind what sells on the steam lotro page. Its xpacks and the quad pack and i think one of the starter packs. I am also willing to bet thats NOT where the game income is coming from. So, leveraging steam player base against people who are too prideful to upgrade their wodden barrels is nonsensical at best.

just shows the closed mindedness of some of you who don't want to think about the big picture.
    Oh the irony....
    Ridduk

Quote Originally Posted by dagorlad91806 View Post
    Oh the irony....
    I think its cute how after writing his rant, he didnt read it back to himself and think "I might be cutting the branch I'm sitting on"
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post
    O.O
    Holy....wow. Okay....
    Time to bring out the old "data out of my head" argument.

There is no difference between playing on steam and ... "native" (?) client. At all. 0. Na-da. Zulch.
    You can literally download LOTRO through steam, delete steam itself, and launch the game from steamapp file where the game is stored when it was being downloaded/installed.
    Additionally, you cannot backup your claim that LOTRO gets 15000 daily log ins, as SSG to my understanding doesn't post those numbers publically.
    Regarding steam sales, nobody knows how big of a cut steam takes for the purchases, but keep in mind what sells on the steam lotro page. Its xpacks and the quad pack and i think one of the starter packs. I am also willing to bet thats NOT where the game income is coming from. So, leveraging steam player base against people who are too prideful to upgrade their wodden barrels is nonsensical at best.
    *sighs* sorry my mistake the daily number of people playing Lotro through steam is 1251 last 24 hours, looking at the last 6 months Jan 2017 I guess I am mistaken 1800 is a closer number for a monthly average of steam accounts that log into lotro http://steamcharts.com/app/212500

According to IGN in Jan 600,000 logins occur in LOTRO monthly divide that by 30 days you get 20,000 daily players .
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...pathfinder-dev

the numbers are not from out of my head they are out steam and IGN ' s heads .

yes there is a difference LOTRO has to pay steam a percentage of what gets sold to players through steam. You think the people at steam are not trying to make money.

notice also I used the words approx steam players and estimated total LOTRO players.

I am also NOT leveraging steam players against anyone I said "as far as I am concerned" that means it is MY personal opinion.
    Last edited by Rossiter84; Jun 21 2017 at 02:04 PM.

*sighs* sorry my mistake the daily number of people playing Lotro through steam is 1251 last 24 hours, looking at the last 6 months Jan 2017 I guess I am mistaken 1800 is a closer number for a monthly average of steam accounts that log into lotro http://steamcharts.com/app/212500

According to IGN in Jan 600,000 logins occur in LOTRO monthly divide that by 30 days you get 20,000 daily players .
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...pathfinder-dev

the numbers are not from out of my head they are out steam and IGN ' s heads .
    Which january though ?
    This is 3 years old, things have changed greatly, and most likely that the player base got reduced since then
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Player-Counts

Also, the chart was made by Zenimax/Bethesda/someone relevant to ESO, and I doubt Turbine/WG at the time gave such info away.
    And again, stuff thats being sold on steam are xpacks, quad pack and starter pack. All of those are one time purchases, and given how many people are VIPs in this game, and how steam doesnt sell those, meh, no worthwhile financial difference.
    Last edited by zipfile; Jun 21 2017 at 02:25 PM.

This is not a case of someone not being able to pay to support their family or something like that.

This is a case of a computer operating system that is getting too old to be viable to support on modern games.

As for as having enough income goes, I spent 12 months saving up that $600 because my desktop was getting too old. If someone wants to play a game badly enough they can find a way. And that's all it is. A game. A ten year old game at that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post
    Which january though ?
    This is 3 years old, things have changed greatly, and most likely that the player base got reduced since then
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Player-Counts

Also, the chart was made by Zenimax/Bethesda/someone relevant to ESO, and I doubt Turbine/WG at the time gave such info away.
    And again, stuff thats being sold on steam are xpacks, quad pack and starter pack. All of those are one time purchases, and given how many people are VIPs in this game, and how steam doesnt sell those, meh, no worthwhile financial difference.
    ok you can use this site and click on each remaining server and add the number of daily connections up and get the number between 15,000 and 20,000 daily.
    http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live.php. No game company gives player stats away even Blizzard does not all they will tell you is a total number of players. Which as of now I believe is somewhere around 7 million, actually I just looked it up as of Apr 2017 wow boasts 7.67 million total players, so I am a little off, my apologies.

It is my understanding that SSG pays steam a monthly amount to have LOTRO listed on steam and a percentage as a royalty for anything purchased by a steam player even from the LOTRO store . If I am wrong in that and you can provide proof of that I will admit I was wrong.
    Last edited by Rossiter84; Jun 21 2017 at 02:43 PM.

ok you can use this site and click on each remaining server and add the number of daily connections up and get the number between 15,000 and 20,000 daily.
    http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live.php. No game company gives player stats away even Blizzard does not all they will tell you is a total number of players. Which as of now I believe is somewhere around 7 million, actually I just looked it up as of Apr 2017 wow boasts 7.67 million total players, so I am a little off, my apologies.

It is my understanding that SSG pays steam a monthly amount to have LOTRO listed on steam and a percentage as a royalty for anything purchased by a steam player even from the LOTRO store . If I am wrong in that and you can provide proof of that I will admit I was wrong.
    LotRO needs Steam for the future because LotRO doesn't advertise - and an MMO that doesn't advertise may as well not exist.

So go read http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php and then come back to us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast