We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    MoL, the Ruins in The Wastes..

    MoL,

    what's the backstory of the ruins in The Wastes, like Hoerondir? Or earlier when we were searching "the stables" etc.. We know Gondor built watch posts after The War of the Last Alliance, but why aren't the quests providing backstory?
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    KY - Founder - since MEO May '03
    Posts
    2,085
    I want to believe these are ruins from whence they were destroyed umm three thousand years earlier? When the Last Alliance defeated Sauron the first time, Gondor made many structures outside Mordor to watch it assuming these are some of them.
    Last edited by Palenen; Jun 18 2017 at 12:23 PM.
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."
    Alliance of the North - The Team - Conviction - DoME

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    but why aren't the quests providing backstory?
    My guess is that they're practicing Tolkien's own habit of giving the impression of depth and a reality to the universe by referring to things as though we already know their long history without explicitly detailing that history. As Tolkien did throughout LotR (although, in many cases, he really did know the hidden history).

    Indeed, a line I recall about Tolkien's concerns regarding any publication of The Silmarillion (etc.) is that spelling out all that pre-history would "spoil the magic". . .

    Sometimes it's more effective to let our minds wander and wonder about the history behind certain names and places.

    All of which, of course, could just be used as an excuse to not write anything.
    "I went to the trouble and expense of driving my old Honda Civic into a lake to try to prove to you that it won't float. . . only to have you respond: 'Hmmm, interesting. . . would you be willing to drive a Honda Accord into the lake?'"

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    My guess is that they're practicing Tolkien's own habit of giving the impression of depth and a reality to the universe by referring to things as though we already know their long history without explicitly detailing that history. As Tolkien did throughout LotR (although, in many cases, he really did know the hidden history).

    Indeed, a line I recall about Tolkien's concerns regarding any publication of The Silmarillion (etc.) is that spelling out all that pre-history would "spoil the magic". . .

    Sometimes it's more effective to let our minds wander and wonder about the history behind certain names and places.

    All of which, of course, could just be used as an excuse to not write anything.
    I'm more interested in the change of theory behind it. If you recall back to the Evendim or Mirkwood, there was alot of quests involving backstory of places. I hope Mordor follows suit. The Wastes are cool. Haerondir's existence is very interesting and I'd have liked to have seen why it's there, and how the Host would've been able to camp there without having to forcibly taking it in a major battle.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    I'm more interested in the change of theory behind it. If you recall back to the Evendim or Mirkwood, there was alot of quests involving backstory of places. I hope Mordor follows suit. The Wastes are cool. Haerondir's existence is very interesting and I'd have liked to have seen why it's there, and how the Host would've been able to camp there without having to forcibly taking it in a major battle.
    They tell you in quests that they light those blue flames and blow those spooky horns to scare the orcs. So they are left alone because the orcs think it's haunted. Presumably they've been doing this for a while. As for the host, even if they were noticed we are also told that they are being left alone because Sauron wants them to make it to the black gate where he plans to defeat them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cowplain, United Kingdom
    Posts
    805
    In the days of Gondor's greates strength, around TA1200, while Mordor was tightly watched, the Dead Marshes were smaller and the actual wastelands probably smaller as well. The ruins could quite legitimately be mostly described as in North Ithillien, or where Gondor's control extended East towards Rhun for the more distant ones such as the area now occupied by Wainrider spirits. Dagorlad itself is not described as a wasteland, simply a flat plain before the Morannon where many routes combine and thus tactically and strategically significant.

    Distnaces in LOTRO are compresed so everywhere feels very close to Mordor and of course in late 3019 is very much under direct control or is at bes a very high risk area.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLotroFan View Post
    They tell you in quests that they light those blue flames and blow those spooky horns to scare the orcs. So they are left alone because the orcs think it's haunted. Presumably they've been doing this for a while. As for the host, even if they were noticed we are also told that they are being left alone because Sauron wants them to make it to the black gate where he plans to defeat them.
    Yeah, I came upon that quest after I posted and had been in Haerondir for a while. Still, I'd like to know the history of Haerondir, I bet it's interesting.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Yeah, I came upon that quest after I posted and had been in Haerondir for a while. Still, I'd like to know the history of Haerondir, I bet it's interesting.
    I always thought of it as the edgy young nobles having summer homes and hunting lodges 'on the edge'. The kind of attitude of "look how cool and brave I am. I live near /whisper Mordor"
    Of course te great plague, the wainriders and the civil wars during the middle of the 3rd age depopulated the whole area.
    Feadel Morauko
    Brotherhood of Crimson Knights
    "Peace must prevail, even if the wicked must die." - Jasmine Boreal

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload