We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

No traction in BB for newbie

Following Epic story line, at lvl 91 and I go into epic battles. Very little idea what to do, but after playing and reading countless hours I have a small clue. 10 promotion points to spend so far. Trying to spend them in engineer. Learned better to spend one point each to get higher tiers opened up. Beat helms dilke twice, lost to deeping wall three times. So it is getting a little boring and frustrating, but as a completionist I want to get through the epic story line.
    Specific questions are this:

1. I cannot open catapult boxes, says I am not trained, how do I get that training? (More promotion points?) Kinda frustrating that I cannot find this out anywhere.

2. How long do the fights last? Seems about 30 minutes, is it an actual timer, or based on what I do or don't do? (Like side quests)

3. How do I get more promotion points, seems like it would be more fun, and easier if I could level up my engineer, (or whichever I pick)

4. If I keep doing helms dike over and over can I get more points so I can advance a little?

Thanks for all the great forum support, I try to read posts, and do google search first, but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by edjoemat View Post
    Following Epic story line, at lvl 91 and I go into epic battles. Very little idea what to do, but after playing and reading countless hours I have a small clue. 10 promotion points to spend so far. Trying to spend them in engineer. Learned better to spend one point each to get higher tiers opened up. Beat helms dilke twice, lost to deeping wall three times. So it is getting a little boring and frustrating, but as a completionist I want to get through the epic story line.

1. I cannot open catapult boxes, says I am not trained, how do I get that training? (More promotion points?) Kinda frustrating that I cannot find this out anywhere.
    More promotion points spent in the engineer tree - not sure how many needed.

2. How long do the fights last? Seems about 30 minutes, is it an actual timer, or based on what I do or don't do? (Like side quests)
    Timer based.

3. How do I get more promotion points, seems like it would be more fun, and easier if I could level up my engineer, (or whichever I pick)

4. If I keep doing helms dike over and over can I get more points so I can advance a little?
    Each time you succeed at a specific sidequest or get an overall result for the battle that is BETTER than you got before you will earn one or more promotion points. ( IIRC it is 1 point for Bronze, 2 for Silver, 3 for Gold, and 4 for Platinum)
    This means that once you have earned a Platinum rating for all the sidequests in a given battle as well as an overall rating of Platinum for that battle you can earn no more points from running that particular battle.
    So you can run Helms Dike over and over to earn more points, but only up to a certain point.

For purposes of earning promotion points each of the different sizes of battles (Solo/duo, fellowship, etc.) count as different battles. You must first finish each battle at the solo/duo setting before you can do it with larger groups.

Hint: The solo version of the Big Battles is actually solo/duo - you can do them with a friend if you want to. That generally makes things quite a bit easier.

In typical Lotro style the first battle in the sequence - Helms Dike - is the one that really needs a ranked engineer to succeed. If you are rank 3, you can dismantle all the baracades around the place and place them in the lanes where the mobs are attacking. It makes the battle so much easier.
    The 4 other HD battles don't rely on a ranked engineer quite so much.
    Suggest you run the 3 Pelennor battles - Pelagrir, Defence of MT and Hammer of Underworld. These should give you enough points to get to R3 engineer. Then tackle Helms Dike again. You will see a huge difference when you can place the cades in the lanes where the mobs attack before you start the battle.
    You can also place some close to the stables for the Protect the Horses quest.

Quote Originally Posted by edjoemat View Post

Thanks for all the great forum support, I try to read posts, and do google search first, but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for.
    1) should be part of the tooltip of the traitline setbonus and the tooltip of the box that it can be used from engineer rank3 on.

2) most battles (if not all) end as soon as a certain number of (mainquest-)enemies is dead. sidequests start after a certain number of dead enemies, too.
    This is the reason why using siege weapons makes those battles much faster. if you use no siege weapon at all (in some battles, there are no useful ones (or its very hard to time/aim) to kill the enemiepacks far away like glittering cave or the hammer), the time is always the same as the rate the enemies attack you is the same, so it could feel like time-based. however, most battles can be accelerated a lot with siege weapons (all but cave/hammer). using siege weapons may even lead to the mainquest ending before sidequests, which leads to lesser merit for the mainquest than if you had waited for the sidequest to finish.

3) you get up to 4 promotion points per quest you finish with platinum. finishing the same quest multiple times doesnt give more points as long as you dont finish it with higher ranks. the 'same quest' in different tiers like solo/duo or 3man/6man/12man version in this case is two different quests. its 4 points per quest, doesnt matter if main or sidequest.

4) (answered in 3)) if you do the same battle over and over, you may get different sidequests. until you have done all sidequests with platinum and mainquest platinum, the battle may give you more promotion points. once you reach that, you have them all.
    Last edited by Oelle; May 08 2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Dadi / Tyrlas - Arkenstone (Leader - Rare Breed Kin)
    dadislotroguides.com