We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Is the level 95+ epic story gated behind epic battles?

    I'm level 93 now and I understand that when I reach the end of the Helm's Deep expansion, I'll be tasked with some epic battles. I've heard that they are near impossible to solo when you first start, but I figured I could just skip them if need be and continue the epic wherever it picks up again.

    I heard today that without completing the epic battles I will be locked out of doing any of the epic story from level 95 onwards. Is this true?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    I'm level 93 now and I understand that when I reach the end of the Helm's Deep expansion, I'll be tasked with some epic battles. I've heard that they are near impossible to solo when you first start, but I figured I could just skip them if need be and continue the epic wherever it picks up again.

    I heard today that without completing the epic battles I will be locked out of doing any of the epic story from level 95 onwards. Is this true?
    Near the end of Volume 3 of the epic questline you'll have to complete epic battles to progress, but that doesn't stop you from picking up Volume 4 which is bestowed when you hit level 95.

  3. #3
    the epic story for western rohan is gated behind the epic battles if you want to complete it.
    western gondor epic is not gated by them, you can start directly at eowyn in dunharg.
    However, the epic battle epic story is quite cool and I would try to do it. its much easier in duo and its much easier if you know what to do... but depending on the sidequests and as long as you destroy the enemy catapults, all battles can be won without any big battle points.

    I personally soloed all of them until I had like 100 promotion points. was hard, but doable. now, its much easier as there are guides.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  4. #4
    Ok, thank you both for the explanation! That explains the conflicting reports I was hearing. It stops you from seeing the end of the Rohan quest story but not from continuing on in Gondor. Hopefully I'll be able to get through them when the time comes, but at least I know I can continue on if not.

  5. #5
    Depending on the class they can be frustrating solo, especially at lower levels (the scaling in this game is rather bad imo), but I am sure you can find someone with more experience and promotion points to help you through. I rather enjoy soloing the older ones (except Glittering Caves) now and then and never mind someone tagging along.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Doo doo doo, lookin' out my back door...
    Posts
    4,517
    Looking for tips...

    Got through all but the last one. These battles are supremely frustrating. You have no idea where to go, how to get there and who to fight.

    I fought the last battle for 2 hours before it just stalled out with no resolution. I managed to get every side battle after trying and re-setting multiple times. Even though my stats were 0 soldiers dead, 0 commanders dead and 2 banners burned, it still crapped out.

    The tip I saw was to use the Catapult and kill off as much as possible first. I did that but the thing is hard to use. You cannot see your target circle very easily (battlements in the way). If you miss hitting the forming troops at the start are you doomed? You don't find out you lose/stall until an hour later?
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    Looking for tips...

    Got through all but the last one. These battles are supremely frustrating. You have no idea where to go, how to get there and who to fight.

    I fought the last battle for 2 hours before it just stalled out with no resolution. I managed to get every side battle after trying and re-setting multiple times. Even though my stats were 0 soldiers dead, 0 commanders dead and 2 banners burned, it still crapped out.

    The tip I saw was to use the Catapult and kill off as much as possible first. I did that but the thing is hard to use. You cannot see your target circle very easily (battlements in the way). If you miss hitting the forming troops at the start are you doomed? You don't find out you lose/stall until an hour later?
    No epic battle should take more than 45 minutes to complete. If you end up in one for longer than that something bugged and the instance will have to be reset. I think repeatedly firing catapults at enemy soldiers can sometimes bug the instance.

    Here's what I do when I run that instance. Set the commanders to 2 handers and sappers. Click the heal on the commanders as often as possible. Frequently check to see if the banners are good.

    One thing that I find useful for epic battles in general is the following plugin.

    http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...tlePlugin.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Doo doo doo, lookin' out my back door...
    Posts
    4,517
    Thanks.

    I do not have the points to set priorities (don't think I did, the ability is in the second bonus group down the blue path).

    In any event I just changed my strategy to one of keeping all the banners up (and soldiers).

    As a LM I previously had my sabre cat on aggro and ran around tossing down ladders and hooks. This time:

    Started at Catapult. Did not even repair it, just started firing as much as possible. Cleared the ladders and hooks at the catapult to keep it safe.
    Pulled out my Spirit pet and set it to auto heal. Every 30 seconds or so it sends morale to everyone in vicinity, so it kept the soldiers well healed.
    I checked every banner and made sure it was at full health. Topping them off with LM heals took a bit but there was no stress. Mobs ignore you.
    Then I sat back. Tossed a few sticky gourds and other damage skills. and kept an eye on the banners. Then did not need much tending after the first time back from the catapult. Went back to the catapult after a bit and there were a few more formations in range (after Aragorn says something like they are forming up again).
    Came back down and fairly soon after Aragorn says "They seem to be thinning". Before this is when things stalled out. This time, not long after, the instance ended. I got two side quests that I did not lift a finger to do, yet my NPCs got them done.

    Even though it says Banners and Soldiers are minor merit loss, make sure you keep them all safe. Instance ended in about 25 minutes which is much more reasonable.

    I guess there is one more Epic Battle later towards Gondor. I think I will cope now thanks. The end of Vol III epic story was worth it.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

  9. #9
    I think theres also a trait point in the end of epic battles.
    Did those yesterday with my champ lol. Some were really hard solo (dike) and some were easier (glittering caves and hornburg).
    Depends much on the class, it was a nightmare with burg.
    But shouldnt be too hard to find someone to help. I recomend you to do it now.
    Might even get some good jewellry.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyseman View Post
    I think theres also a trait point in the end of epic battles.
    Did those yesterday with my champ lol. Some were really hard solo (dike) and some were easier (glittering caves and hornburg).
    Depends much on the class, it was a nightmare with burg.
    But shouldnt be too hard to find someone to help. I recomend you to do it now.
    Might even get some good jewellry.
    not directly. you get traitpoints for reaching 100 and 200 big battle promotion points.
    But the only five traitpoints you get for playing western rohan are for landscape-non-epic-quests. so not big battle (questchain) related.
    in old anorien, you get two traitpoints for finishing the epic story after doing the quest for each of the two epic battles there.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyseman View Post
    Did those yesterday with my champ lol. Some were really hard solo (dike) and some were easier (glittering caves and hornburg).
    I never had problems with Dike. Once you can set up the barricades and the catapult, it is easy to solo to platinum. Caves on the other hand are a nightmare for me, I constantly get lost there.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CroKat View Post
    I never had problems with Dike. Once you can set up the barricades and the catapult, it is easy to solo to platinum. Caves on the other hand are a nightmare for me, I constantly get lost there.
    You can AFK the caves really. Not if you want to get Plat, but I have afked it. The Dike is excellent for farming your first BB points because you can set it all up beforehand, that takes hella long, but it's not boring exactly.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by whitering View Post
    You can AFK the caves really. Not if you want to get Plat, but I have afked it. The Dike is excellent for farming your first BB points because you can set it all up beforehand, that takes hella long, but it's not boring exactly.
    you cannot set up anything without having some ranks. so this does not work for the first points...
    you need rank 3 to really set up things, which is 60 points. from 60 points on, all battles are much easier.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by whitering View Post
    You can AFK the caves really. Not if you want to get Plat, but I have afked it. The Dike is excellent for farming your first BB points because you can set it all up beforehand, that takes hella long, but it's not boring exactly.
    The only reason I would do BB now is plat so why would I afk anything? The Dike is excellent once, as mentioned, you can set it up and even more so once you have rank enough for distance in officer. I am at 6+3 (because I love the runspeed from vanguard) on 3 characters and trust me, when you do Dike for the umpteenth time it really does get boring. I only do it if I am helping someone missing the ranks from it, otherwise if I want to solo fast plat I do 1st wave Hornburg Coomb, it is easy and takes maybe 10 minutes of active play.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload