We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Pengie View Post
    Actually thats one of the easiest, just did it with my level 70 Hunter. Tour a house at Belfalas, free horse to Minas Tirith then pay a mithril coin to get to West Pelargir - job done. Yes it means paying a coin but given how many free ones you have the chance of getting I don't begrudge them the occasional coin for travel in order to complete an event (big money purchases and level exclusion is a different thing altogether).
    I completely disagree. Spending Mithril coins to complete any quest is totally unacceptable. I must be doing something wrong because I haven't seen a free coin in years.
    Gyes, et al
    Monarch, Paladins of Asheron
    Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Gyes View Post
    I completely disagree. Spending Mithril coins to complete any quest is totally unacceptable. I must be doing something wrong because I haven't seen a free coin in years.
    I agree with you. While I have received a few MC from hobbit presents once in a blue moon, I used them for the Return to Lalia's skill to give my characters another way to port back to Bree. I find that to be very handy since Bree is a good travel hub.

I will never use MC for travel, for any reason. It seems like SSG is trying to push people into getting used to pushing that little MC button at stable masters, into spending without thinking. Just like in-app purchases on mobile games, another thing I don't get suckered into.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Pengie View Post
    Actually thats one of the easiest, just did it with my level 70 Hunter. Tour a house at Belfalas, free horse to Minas Tirith then pay a mithril coin to get to West Pelargir - job done. Yes it means paying a coin but given how many free ones you have the chance of getting I don't begrudge them the occasional coin for travel in order to complete an event (big money purchases and level exclusion is a different thing altogether).

With year 7 my hassle is the Mumak. Even scaling the instance down to level 50 the first two trolls wipe me out and if by some miracle I make it through them you still have to face an uber-boss with a gazillion morale plus all his handlers. Week 7 is definitely not intended for characters under level 100 or soloists. Despite what SSG might think, the number of 105's willing to help lower levels get these things done is extremely limited plus if you can't play during US core hours it drops to even less than that.

While I agree wholeheartedly that it should showcase all 10 years, knocking out lower levels from the word go does not aim towards this target. Years 2-6 we're not that bad as there was at least one achievable task in each assuming you are of at least a reasonable level to get around unmolested or have a couple of friends to assist. However, I barely made it through year 1 and that was only because a helpful level 105 came along just as I was trying to kill Rothlúg (on the 4th attempt) and blew him away in one shot. The other two year 1 options were ridiculous as they required you to visit very high level places and/or kill very high level mobs so right from the start there was the anger over this being an exclusive series for high level chars only instead of a celebration of all of the things that LOTRO has given us for the last 10 years. The Dead Marshes and Gondor didn't exist 10 years ago so why were they made part of the "Year 1" quests?

The series would have been far better received if it actually had showcased ALL 10 years of LOTRO by each week featuring areas that were released in those years rather than focusing almost exclusively on what has happened in the last 4 or 5 years. Break it up by 10 levels for each year (1-10, 11-20 etc) and have at least one of each of that week's quests focus only on content achievable within that level range so year 1 would be Celondim, Shire, Thorin's etc, Year 2 could go out to Bree and maybe Lonelands, Year 3 bring in Esteldin and so on providing a better progression through the years of content and the story which is LOTRO, both the game and the world. Lower levels would be able to 're-visit' the things they have already done in the spirit that the event is intended as mush as the high levels can - you do up to the year that you are capable of completing and then go for more next anniversary when you have seen more of the game. The other two quests for that year could have gone into higher levels so that the 105's are also not without a challenge and that everyone could have been happy instead of the current undercurrent of anger and discontent which has haunted the forums and world chat since the event started.

There should have been at least 1 quest within each week's set that could be done by lower level characters rather than blocking them off completely. LOTRO has a great community and part of that comes from people at all levels being able to contribute and succeed at things during the festivals and other events. You don't have to be level 105 to bat a chicken around or get into a drunken bar fight or kick some shrews so why is this event so high level oriented? This anniversary rather than promoting the sense of community and all-encompassing inclusion has blocked off a significant portion of players and basically told them they are not worthwhile. Not a great way for a new player to feel welcome in a game and not a good way for us old hands to be welcomed back if real life or other game interests has blocked us from being able to cap a toon.

Why was this not done? It's simple really - money. By putting out event quests which require expansions into high level areas people who are on the fence about buying those expansions get pushed over the edge. If you don't think this is true ask yourself why there has not been a Market or Store sale on the expansions as there has been every other anniversary. Colour me cynical if you want, but I see this year's anniversary as a pure money grab so that SSG can get some capital behind the new company making it as massive a fail from the player's perspective as the ridiculous and highly disappointing DDO 10-year anniversary last year (which was just so lame - kobolds again, urgh!).

Don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem with SSG trying to make a living let alone a profit as the more cash they get the longer the game will last. I paid for the original non-ftp releases of their games, I've been a VIP of either LOTRO or DDO (or sometimes both plus Asherons for a while) on and off for 11 years and have all the expansions for both bar Helm's Deep which I am still hoping may go on sale - but saying that you have created something to reward the playing community and then either blocking some of them off or charging them extra to become involved is not

Instead it is just plain rude.
    Well said.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

SO the rope...

removed the hack extra rope and updated the original rope I suppose. But still only if on a relevant quest so I can't get back in to use the stable master to reduce the MC cost of a stable-ride to Mirkwood.

BTW Hunter travelling you into Mirkwood, hunter goes into Mirkwood proper leaving you in the Mirkwood Standings.

I have to apologise to everyone: in pointing out to SSG how you can get into Moria and Mirkwood with MC rides they have seen it as financially beneficial to forget the idea of coding alternative ways in.

I had hoped for something different from SSG, but it's probably the worst it's ever been right now.

Mac

It would have been nice if they had an easy Year 1 quest which everyone could have done no matter how low level you were. This would have given even those trying the game as ftp a nice 10th Anniversary present as a thank you for joining LOTRO. Sadly my level 65 character cannot do the year 1 quest. I know people claim to have done it even as low as level 35 but my LM is too lame. I can level up some more by next year but it seems a shame to lock nearly everyone out of getting at least one prize this year. Bit of a damp 10th anniversary (for me at any rate).

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    It would have been nice if they had an easy Year 1 quest which everyone could have done no matter how low level you were. This would have given even those trying the game as ftp a nice 10th Anniversary present as a thank you for joining LOTRO. Sadly my level 65 character cannot do the year 1 quest. I know people claim to have done it even as low as level 35 but my LM is too lame. I can level up some more by next year but it seems a shame to lock nearly everyone out of getting at least one prize this year. Bit of a damp 10th anniversary (for me at any rate).
    It only takes 1 of the 3 cards to get the 'prize' and for year 1 the easiest to do is the trifles where you do the level 60 mobs from Esteldin quests along with some very low level mobs. Getting someone to help with the 2 mob quests that are small fellowship should be easy as any 105 could solo them. I have helped people get through that particular card many times.
    Signatures are overrated.

I want to exchange one of my (soon to be) two mirrors of Caras Galadhon for a phial of starlight, neatly mounted on a small, finely crafted elven round table, fitting into a thin space slot. I know that the phial was given to Samwise, but as his story is already through... maybe he showed it to Gimli at some time or so.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 105 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Manfreid, dwarven Level 105 Champion, all the same
    Alexophor, human Level 105 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Gyes View Post
    This might be a bit off the discussion, but I thought I'd point out that when most people refer to "free Mithril coins", they refer to the fact you can buy MC with the LP you get from deeds. So, in that sense, it is as free as the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Oh, your character is mostly fine, from what I can guess. The issue is that the "Old enemies"-quest tells you to re-do quests that were intended for small or standard fellowships. So, whilst an over-leveled character can bypass this, anyone on-level or below will need a fellowship to do the quest.
    I'm not sure if you can ask any in your kin for that, but I assume someone might be willing in the world chat.
    Given your character is on the right level, you can also try to make a group of evenly leveled character and attempt to take on the challenge as it was back in the days.

Personally though, I have mixed feelings when it comes to the demand of "lower leveled" quests, and I think you have a fair point in asking for year 1 quests to be for all. After all, when on the year 7 quest, making quests for starting players would be more of a spoiler than "remembering". Yet when year 1 include 105 content, you cannot help but wonder exactly what you are remembering.
    Having the quests feature the added content for their respective year would make a lot more sense, given the quests are divided into years. Or at least have one of the 3 be for lower level, to allow the quest lines that follow specific characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    I want to exchange one of my (soon to be) two mirrors of Caras Galadhon for (...)
    the mirror in Aragorn's Pavillion that we politely asked for - maybe they got us wrong:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Auryline View Post
    the mirror in Aragorn's Pavillion that we politely asked for - maybe they got us wrong:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=mirror
    I second this, though wouldn't mind the suggestion of Polymachos either.

Galadriel's Mirror is a fine item, but to quote the French knights from MP's Holy Grail, "We've already got one! Yes...it's verra nice!" :P

And geez, fix the Tarkrip shield.
    ~Erynaur, Champion of Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by Suza View Post
    It only takes 1 of the 3 cards to get the 'prize' and for year 1 the easiest to do is the trifles where you do the level 60 mobs from Esteldin quests along with some very low level mobs. Getting someone to help with the 2 mob quests that are small fellowship should be easy as any 105 could solo them. I have helped people get through that particular card many times.
    First of all thank you for being such a nice person helping out others in need. We need more players like you! I'm afraid that you misunderstood my complaint. I know that the scavenger hunt will be back next year and the year after but what I was trying to say was that it would have been nice to give everyone a chance to do at least one hunt this year, the 10th Anniversary year. Thus Year 1 could have been for the lower level players in the free to play areas. All the other years could then be for level 105 people if that is what SSG wanted. I play at odd hours of the night and it is tough trying to find anyone around to help me. Most of my kin are asleep or, like me, only have a precious hour or so to play everyday so I don't bother them. I don't mind waiting until I can do the scavenger hunts on my own but the 10th anniversary is this year so I would have liked to have taken part in the scavenger quest. Like most players I have contributed financially to this game. I have bought all the expansions with cold hard cash and have also subbed. We all started out in the free to play areas so it makes sense to set Year 1 in those regions. I'm not mad. Just disappointed after all the build up to the event.
    Last edited by Seeker; Jun 03 2017 at 03:39 AM.

my personal feedback

So... now that we come to an end of the Scavenger Hunt, I started doing the Event.
    My feedback is, that I like it in general. The remembrances it brings up are really cool. Whenever I do some of those quests, I think of the place/event where I went and thats a really cool feeling. I dont really care about rewards as just playing these and seeing all those things again is reward enough. Well done generally.

However, there are some issues I have with the Event:
    -Some locations are just wrong and it litterally makes me cry as you, the devs of lotro, should know the lotr story by heart! This is the case for example when you do the Frodo stuff and are supposed to flop at the camp at weathertop. The right location for this does exist in the game, but its NOT Candaiths Camp! its a bit south of there. And when searching for Remembrance for the Boromirquest in Lothlorien, the Fellowship took a completely different way. They never were in the region where the questitems are! They first crossed the Nimrodel near Talan Haldir, slept on the two Fletts there and the next day they were guided to the center. But before they really entered the golden wood, they crossed the Celebrant via a rope-bridge. There actually IS a rope-bridge (or whats left of one). You should have used it and placed the questitems from there to the target location. I was really sad for finding those obvious disconnects (and searching like forever for the right locations).
    -While the quests are quite cool, their names are irritating. They have nothing to do with the year of the game. You should have found other questnames or make players do things that were available in those years.
    -You should have announced the event as an Event of remembrance instead of a scavenger hunt. Ok, i dunno what those scrap papers are good for, maybe it will make sense in the end... but you made people feel like it was a good idea to see the event just like any other festival event (although a special one), which it just isnt. Its much more, and its limited by level and played content (yea, there may be workarounds for some parts, but its still silly to do the whole stuff with lvl10, which can be done with any other festival event). More exact communication, please.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Just to confirm that I have completed the event on a F2P no bought content char. Started at level 28 and finished at level 31. Guided by VIP content rich capped characters.

It's too many hours of extra time to have any chance of getting outside help if you are a lone player/character but it is indeed possible.

I think I used a couple of MC on a ride but it's possible without spending any.

Whether intended or not, each year has content you could turn to the store to provide you with access. Potentially there's thousands of Lotro Points up for grabs from an odd skirmish to full Expansions . If it was designed to be a cash generator it didn't work for me but only SSG will see if there was a significant increase over the last eight weeks and if it's enough to pay for Mordor maybe.

They were quick to address access issues into Caras Galathon, Red-pass, Weathertop and the latest Tavern crawl but chose not to address After-battle, Moria and Mirkwood access when they were shown the existing expensive player option of MC stable rides that would generate store purchases.

This last point makes me believe that the event was skewed to drive the store's use.

Mac

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10