We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

A word on the new Anniversary event

In the new Scavenger Hunt, we wanted to celebrate the length and breadth of Lord of the Rings Online. That meant looking back over all the moments, regions, and yes, level ranges that cover the ten full years we have run.

When we sat down to decide how to celebrate a decade of our game, we fell in love with the idea of exploring the aspects of the game that you, our players, have told us caused you to fall in love with LOTRO: the story, world, and the many adventures, small jokes, and bits of color--sorry, colour-- found across our rendition of Middle-earth.

We encourage lower-level players to make use of the incredible player community in LOTRO and get a little help from friends, kinships, and even kindly strangers to complete quests that go far afield. Also keep in mind that most of the rewards come from completing a single quest for each year. Our goal was to keep the event light and fun, where you could dip your toe in and get something out of it.

But here's the important thing: the Scavenger Hunt will be back next year. The quests you have completed will remain completed and the ones that remain will be waiting for you. Of course, there will also be an eleventh year to finish, but that's time for you. It marches onward for all the free peoples, even the Elves.

Thank you for the clarification.

Somehow I thought this a special event that would not be repeated. I wish you had explained this before the start of the event though because this was supposed to be a joyful day for all, you and us, but it was somehow tainted by confusion.

Happy 10th Anniversary and thank you again for the explanation.
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Thanks for the thread. It's a little late though. World chat exploded about 8 hours ago.

Reading your reasoning, maybe it would be best next time you plan something like this, to get some input from the lower level or new players, because, I seriously doubt they find this that amusing. In fact, I know they don't, and that's just from reading chat for an hour or two this morning.

Sure, they can do make-shift chicken runs on the backs of the end gamers - if the end gamers have time or are willing to take them.

Each year, should have low level quests IMO, so everyone can participate. It doesn't matter if a player has only taken a small journey so far - they too, can still look back on what they've travelled, much like a level cap player can.

Or of course, they can wait a year before getting the goodies. Maybe they will wait a year before dipping into their wallets too.
    p.s.

"When we sat down to decide how to celebrate a decade of our game, we fell in love with the idea of exploring the aspects of the game that you, our players, have told us caused you to fall in love with LOTRO: the story, world, and the many adventures, small jokes, and bits of color--sorry, colour-- found across our rendition of Middle-earth."

When your players, told you which areas of the world, which stories, many adventures, small jokes and bits of colour made them fall in love with LOTRO, did they hazard a guess that the 10 year anniversary quest arcs would be based on those - level-wise?

I seriously doubt it.

My apologies to you, but I'm going to be blunt and straight to the point for you as I think it's important.

This is like having a family celebration and locking all the kids and teenagers in a cupboard under the stairs. "Don't fret it kids, one of the adults may come fetch you and take you on a quick half hour tour, or failing that, you will be old enough for a glass of shandy next year".
    Last edited by Arnenna; Apr 20 2017 at 01:45 PM.
    Monkeys are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey.
    Edited, because some folk just can't do wordplay.

another thing would be to fix the glitch with one of the scavenger hunts so it can be completed for those of us who love to complete deeds. Year 2 Trifles :Reflection 1 is glitched out to some of us and we cannot complete retaking weathertop and the red pass. So perhaps checking on tickets that have been open for 4 hours might be helpful to those who are staying logged in to get help with it.

Also some of the anniversary boxes did not have the portrait frames or steeds like it should have (5year box)
    ______________________________ ___________________________
    You want me to what!? The one and only Nymerias of Dwarrow

Congratulations. You have our family considering stopping LotRO because of this. And we can't be the only ones.

That may sound trite, but let me put some perspective on this. We've been playing this game since beta. We're casual, but regular players. We've been there through all the ups and downs on the game, and since the store has gone live, we've spent far too much money on it to purchase all sorts of goodies.

None of us have a level capped character. We /do/ have dozens of characters that we play depending on our mood, or depending on who we're playing with. We recently switched servers to Arkenstone to follow the active player base ... currently our 'mains' are around level 40.

We've been looking forward to the Anniversary event for months, wondering what kinds of awesome things the dev team would have in store for the 10 friggin' year anniversary .... only to find out that we have zero chance of completing all the different aspects of it. Wait a year? There's no guarantee we'll all have the appropriate levels then, either (we might switch characters, 'real life' might prevent us from getting all the characters up, etc) And even if we did, there's a massive disappointment factor for those of us that have been with the game since beta not being able to complete the 10 year event until year 11, or 12, or whenever.

We've been in this game for over 10 years, and we're being excluding from completing an anniversary event? Are you kidding me? I can understand having regular quests, standard events, raids, etc, be level capped. But this event is celebrating a decade of LotRO, an anniversary celebration, something ALL players should be able to enjoy equally. It's a milestone most MMOs never come close to achieving, and we have an entire household of veteran, beta-era players here that have no chance of finishing it.

This is maddeningly infuriating. No wonder the player base is exploding over this. We're among your most loyal patrons and we feel like we've just walked into a room, expecting a great and joyous party, but instead were met with repeated slaps to the face and told to come back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoblaed View Post
    Congratulations. You have our family considering stopping LotRO because of this. And we can't be the only ones.

That may sound trite, but let me put some perspective on this. We've been playing this game since beta. We're casual, but regular players. We've been there through all the ups and downs on the game, and since the store has gone live, we've spent far too much money on it to purchase all sorts of goodies.

None of us have a level capped character. We /do/ have dozens of characters that we play depending on our mood, or depending on who we're playing with. We recently switched servers to Arkenstone to follow the active player base ... currently our 'mains' are around level 40.

We've been looking forward to the Anniversary event for months, wondering what kinds of awesome things the dev team would have in store for the 10 friggin' year anniversary .... only to find out that we have zero chance of completing all the different aspects of it. Wait a year? There's no guarantee we'll all have the appropriate levels then, either (we might switch characters, 'real life' might prevent us from getting all the characters up, etc) And even if we did, there's a massive disappointment factor for those of us that have been with the game since beta not being able to complete the 10 year event until year 11, or 12, or whenever.

We've been in this game for over 10 years, and we're being excluding from completing an anniversary event? Are you kidding me? I can understand having regular quests, standard events, raids, etc, be level capped. But this event is celebrating a decade of LotRO, an anniversary celebration, something ALL players should be able to enjoy equally. It's a milestone most MMOs never come close to achieving, and we have an entire household of veteran, beta-era players here that have no chance of finishing it.

This is maddeningly infuriating. No wonder the player base is exploding over this. We're among your most loyal patrons and we feel like we've just walked into a room, expecting a great and joyous party, but instead were met with repeated slaps to the face and told to come back next year.

Well said. That's just how I feel. Been playing 8 years, multiple servers, on my main server my one char higher than 57 is just 97. I have so many wonderful memories of this game and I can't do the deeds either. Yet the power levelers who joined just months ago and complain quite frequently on the forums that there's nothing to do and that lotro is so boring can do all the deeds and reap the rewards. These deeds should be able to be completed by anyone within the 2 and a half time frame. Major disappointment for me!

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    But here's the important thing: the Scavenger Hunt will be back next year. The quests you have completed will remain completed and the ones that remain will be waiting for you. Of course, there will also be an eleventh year to finish, but that's time for you. It marches onward for all the free peoples, even the Elves.
    Question - One of the quests calls for visiting certain locations. If I hit as many of these as I can reach this year, but can't get to them all, will I have to start over next year? The quest log says the quest will disappear when the event is over, which makes me think my progress will not be saved. I'm not sure when you say "quests you have completed" if you mean the individual requirements within the quest will be saved for you, or only progress on quests completed in their entirety will be saved. I'm thinking it's the latter, in which case I'd rather hold off until next year, but I wanted to check to be sure.

Thank you for confirming this.

This was the post that led to thinking it is a one-time-only event like Bounders Bounty:

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This is a special 10th Anniversary event, so will only be available through the time listed. If you want to run it, make sure to run it in the time it's around.
    There was no clarification that it's simply a new event that will reappear every year - and the fact that it was featured on the official 10-year-celebration Lotro page without mentioning it's going to be annual, further led to believing it won't reoccur.

Please be careful to clarify such details in future announcements - due to our excitement and eagerness as players we always take the announcement wording literally, and cannot guess what hasn't been mentioned or omitted in the wording.

Most of the time, player disappointments/frustrations are not due to content itself, but in how it was publicized - imprecise or vague wording may create expectations that this content was not intended to meet. I know that SSG (and Turbine before it) prefers to keep cards close to chest and not reveal things in too much detail ahead of time, but please consider how imprecise words might unintentionally lead to interpreting it other ways and sow confusion.

it is often the unspoken obvious parts that aren't obvious to players reading the statements - for any future announcements including the upcoming expansion etc, please clarify the simple obvious bits a bit more

That being said, I really appreciate the increase in SSG communication and forum presence over the past half year - already it has done a lot to minimize ambiguity and create more openness - please keep it up : )
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

From a player's perspective, it seems SSG fell in love with making as big a time sink out of this event as possible. There was no reason to lump so many areas into a single quest. It should have been done as Bingo was done. This should be fun right? You are supposed to be in the business of creating Fun and not in creating grind and ill feeling for your players. I hope all of you keep the players reactions to this roll out in mind when you plan other events.

I would also be a good idea to let players know in advance that they may need assistance to complete some of the quests.
    Member of the Vocal Minority

You're not the only ones. The implementation of the scavenger hunt is so disappointing to me, that I'm not sure I want to play anymore. And my main is level 105 and isn't shut out of the content. But the one I'm playing the most these days is level 75 and is paused with the Stone of the Tortoise, which up till now I thought was a great purchase and was helping me enjoy the older areas a lot more by not over-leveling them.

I'm sad for all the players who have been here from the beginning who have been taking their time and aren't able to access this anniversary content. The planning for this anniversary seems to have forgotten them. It seems so tone-deaf to what a celebration is all about.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post
    You're not the only ones. The implementation of the scavenger hunt is so disappointing to me, that I'm not sure I want to play anymore. And my main is level 105 and isn't shut out of the content. But the one I'm playing the most these days is level 75 and is paused with the Stone of the Tortoise, which up till now I thought was a great purchase and was helping me enjoy the older areas a lot more by not over-leveling them.

I'm sad for all the players who have been here from the beginning who have been taking their time and aren't able to access this anniversary content. The planning for this anniversary seems to have forgotten them. It seems so tone-deaf to what a celebration is all about.
    Did half of you miss what the blue name wrote? You only need one quest...you can also piggie back with higher level toons. Oh wait that involves grouping and who does that in an mmo am i right? The devs have the entire spirit of the game, and the fellowship covered here. Take off the blinders and see the big picture.
    Captain-General Ughidontknow...Tripso rnk 6 burg...Izeatzfreepz rnk 8 warg....Yells rnk 10 warleader
    Leader of The Hobbit Syndicate
    "Everyone wants to be the hero and no one wants to be support"

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    In the new Scavenger Hunt, we wanted to celebrate the length and breadth of Lord of the Rings Online. That meant looking back over all the moments, regions, and yes, level ranges that cover the ten full years we have run.

When we sat down to decide how to celebrate a decade of our game, we fell in love with the idea of exploring the aspects of the game that you, our players, have told us caused you to fall in love with LOTRO: the story, world, and the many adventures, small jokes, and bits of color--sorry, colour-- found across our rendition of Middle-earth.

We encourage lower-level players to make use of the incredible player community in LOTRO and get a little help from friends, kinships, and even kindly strangers to complete quests that go far afield. Also keep in mind that most of the rewards come from completing a single quest for each year. Our goal was to keep the event light and fun, where you could dip your toe in and get something out of it.

This reminds me of a the time when I did a quest for Winterfest, Or whatever it was called way back in time, and was rewarded with a lump of coal. I , along with many other players, was so disappointed. Thankfully the Devs recognised our disappointment and responded, and we now have the truly fun Winterhome festival area. I am as sad and disappointed as I was back then with the scavenger hunt, but I truly hope and believe that our Devs will respond and improve what is, after all, a first run of a new idea. lets see some new stuff for everyone

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    I think the scavenger hunt is fine the way it is, but I can see some folks are unhappy that they can't get to some of the higher level places.

Here's an idea.

Maybe the devs could develop a special Scavenger-Hunt Cloak.
    This would work like the Orc disguise for mounted combat.
    Results in virtual invisibility, but it only works while the event is in progress. After the Scavenger Hunt is over it transforms into a regular cloak (or maybe it just disappears).

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by idontcare789 View Post
    Did half of you miss what the blue name wrote? You only need one quest...you can also piggie back with higher level toons. Oh wait that involves grouping and who does that in an mmo am i right? The devs have the entire spirit of the game, and the fellowship covered here. Take off the blinders and see the big picture.
    Quotes I've seen from the thread in general discussion board:

"In order to get the unique rewards/pets/decorations, all quests on the list have to be completed."

and

"I just logged in on a level 60 character and she cannot complete these quests. They go into level capped areas such as Henneth Annun and the Dead Marshes."

Are these people wrong? We want to be able to participate fully, as a family, and as people are pointing out, that's not possible. Again, for people that have been playing and paying for this game since beta, this is so very wrong.

Quotes I've seen from the thread in general discussion board:

"In order to get the unique rewards/pets/decorations, all quests on the list have to be completed."

and

"I just logged in on a level 60 character and she cannot complete these quests. They go into level capped areas such as Henneth Annun and the Dead Marshes."

Are these people wrong? We want to be able to participate fully, as a family, and as people are pointing out, that's not possible. Again, for people that have been playing and paying for this game since beta, this is so very wrong.
    I thought I pretty much knew the ins and outs of this game, but I do not know how to part a lowbie into Moria or the Dead Marshes. That rules out 2 quests. If you can help lowbies do the third quest (kill several bosses), it is yet to be determined.

Thanks for the clarification. I won't feel so rushed to get all of my characters through if they can do it next year. I wasn't looking forward to dragging level 50s to Henneth Annun.

Maybe you should take this as a wakeup call. If your highest level characters are only level 40, you're missing out on the vast majority of the game's content by your own choices. No matter how casual you are, you've had more than enough time to reach level 60 (on level to complete one of the first year lists), let alone reach 105. Do some new quests, explore some new regions, and enjoy some new-to-you content. Or, as the devs have suggested, get some help from the community and do the quests under level.
    Gyes, et al
    Monarch, Paladins of Asheron
    Arkenstone

No, I don't need higher-level help, thanks - they can't help me with this.

I just took my lvl 29 Warden out through the Belfalas housing area (which not everyone has access to, I might add) to Dol Amroth, and to the Avorrim Cave. Horse to Dead Marshes is quest-locked.

It's not a matter of having high-levels help you.

Furthermore, you cannot port any char lower than 39 into or past Moria. Moria is level gated to enter, and several of the monuments require Moria entrance.

So, no, it's not a matter of getting higher-levels to help you. They can't help me - and incidentally, I got to the cave without the assistance of anyone - my kinleader's 82 Captain alt went with me, but she would have been splattered only slightly less easily than me. I can't get to the dead marshes, period. I can't be ported, I can't ride the horse - but I can get *to* the horse - I have a screenshot, even, if you like. He's sitting next to the guy you get the horse unlocked by, and you can see the master of horse in the background. Char is Imrazorel, 29 Warden, on Gladden. Look up his current loc

So, what's the solution we're missing, Cordovan? Can't piggyback that one
    If you're bored , pull more mobs. - geoboy | I'm a wild-eyed spear-wielding, javelin throwing, shield-bashing, blood-curdled screaming, melee dervish tank. I like it. Hearts are for pansies. I'd like some cooky dough.

You are level 40 and you say you are among the most loyal players? Yeah... While it's totally ok to play once a month and keep 3 year breaks there needs to be some sense what people call out when they aren't even reached original level cap on 10 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyes View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I won't feel so rushed to get all of my characters through if they can do it next year. I wasn't looking forward to dragging level 50s to Henneth Annun.

Maybe you should take this as a wakeup call. If your highest level characters are only level 40, you're missing out on the vast majority of the game's content by your own choices. No matter how casual you are, you've had more than enough time to reach level 60 (on level to complete one of the first year lists), let alone reach 105. Do some new quests, explore some new regions, and enjoy some new-to-you content. Or, as the devs have suggested, get some help from the community and do the quests under level.
    Sorry, but rushing to cap isn't for everyone, and even those that do have characters at cap, and have been here for years - may have recently rolled a char on a new server, and are only level 20 using a stone. Maybe they do not wish to see the stone of erech at level 20 off the backs of others, because they wish to see everything in order, with the group of people they are playing along with (hence the stone - and yes, grouping up). For them, one quest, to remember Breeland, Ered Luin and the Shire is all they need or want. It can progress to Lone Lands and North Downs through the event timeline, as they will level with it if they want to. It still leaves two quests to explore higher and level cap areas. It doesn't have to be all three. Being all three is restrictive. Having one with not much restriction - is freedom for all level players to get involved in the content. Level capped players will have more that they can get involved in, but that's ok.
    Monkeys are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    You are level 40 and you say you are among the most loyal players? Yeah... While it's totally ok to play once a month and keep 3 year breaks there needs to be some sense what people call out when they aren't even reached original level cap on 10 years time.
    I almost always use an XP disabler so I can do as much content as possible without over levelling and making zones trivial.

I have one capped character, who I do not play anymore (and so don;t want the scavenger rewards) and one at 30 - who is my main. I've been playing since day 1.

Level != Loyalty

You can be a loyal player and have real life responsibilities like work, children, social-life etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Sorry, but rushing to cap isn't for everyone, and even those that do have characters at cap, and have been here for years - may have recently rolled a char on a new server, and are only level 20 using a stone. Maybe they do not wish to see the stone of erech at level 20 off the backs of others, because they wish to see everything in roder (hence the stone), and for them, one quest, to remember Breeland. Ered Luin and the Shire is all they need or want. It still leaves two quests to explore level cap and higher areas. It doesn't have to be all three. Being all three is restrictive. Having one with not much restriction - is freedom for all level players to get involved in the content. Level capped players will have more they can get involved in, but that's ok.
    That's exactly how I play too - I don't want my character to see late game areas before they're 'supposed to.'

However, I do feel much better knowing that these quests will be back the following years - which lessens the blow a lot. (That and the really nice dragon fireworks)
    Last edited by Kenomica.; Apr 20 2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Typos / Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Seems you missed a bit.

"We're casual, but regular players."
    Try to remember, not everyone plays the same way.

Being a completionist I'm hoping for more information about how this works before I try doing one of the quests. Don't want to risk missing out on anything, and English isn't my native language so I might misunderstand things

There are three quests for me to grab now. is there a way to tell which one I will be able to complete before I reach a point where I can go no further? I don't recognize or remember all the listed things. Do I need to look them all up on the wiki to see if I can get to them or not? Would be rather frustrating grabbing a quest and completing most of it just to find out that I can't complete the last object.

Also, if we do one year 1 quest, and one year 2 quest, and one year 3 quest, etc. up to year 10: Will all the left behind quests from year 1 and forward all still be there next year? Sounds like it from DrOctothorpe's post above, but since it's in English I can't be sure that I'm not misunderstanding. I just can't risk messing up my favourite main character, who is the highest character I have (though he can't go further than Dunland sadly).
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Sorry, but rushing to cap isn't for everyone, and even those that do have characters at cap, and have been here for years - may have recently rolled a char on a new server, and are only level 20 using a stone. Maybe they do not wish to see the stone of erech at level 20 off the backs of others, because they wish to see everything in order, with the group of people they are playing along with (hence the stone - and yes, grouping up). For them, one quest, to remember Breeland, Ered Luin and the Shire is all they need or want. It can progress to Lone Lands and North Downs through the event timeline, as they will level with it if they want to. It still leaves two quests to explore higher and level cap areas. It doesn't have to be all three. Being all three is restrictive. Having one with not much restriction - is freedom for all level players to get involved in the content. Level capped players will have more that they can get involved in, but that's ok.
    Who said anything about the level cap? Or rushing? Having your highest level be 40 after a decade is beyond extreme. If you're level 40, you've been to maybe half a dozen regions and done maybe 15% of the game's content. Is it really that unreasonable that someone who has done so little would only be able to celebrate 15% of the anniversary's remembrance celebration?
    Gyes, et al
    Monarch, Paladins of Asheron
    Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Gyes View Post
    Who said anything about the level cap? Or rushing? Having your highest level be 40 after a decade is beyond extreme. If you're level 40, you've been to maybe half a dozen regions and done maybe 15% of the game's content. Is it really that unreasonable that someone who has done so little would only be able to celebrate 15% of the anniversary's remembrance celebration?
    no, no that is not unreasonable. don't listen to the fanatics claiming that it is. because it is objectively not unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    Being a completionist I'm hoping for more information about how this works before I try doing one of the quests. Don't want to risk missing out on anything, and English isn't my native language so I might misunderstand things

There are three quests for me to grab now. is there a way to tell which one I will be able to complete before I reach a point where I can go no further? I don't recognize or remember all the listed things. Do I need to look them all up on the wiki to see if I can get to them or not? Would be rather frustrating grabbing a quest and completing most of it just to find out that I can't complete the last object.

Also, if we do one year 1 quest, and one year 2 quest, and one year 3 quest, etc. up to year 10: Will all the left behind quests from year 1 and forward all still be there next year? Sounds like it from DrOctothorpe's post above, but since it's in English I can't be sure that I'm not misunderstanding. I just can't risk messing up my favourite main character, who is the highest character I have (though he can't go further than Dunland sadly).
    How they want it to work (according to this thread now, though not the original advertisement) is that if your character is too low to get to certain place alone, the generous end game players can help you get there. Chicken run style.

Sounds good right?

Except . . .
    Moria is gated
    Dead Marshes is gated
    Lothlorien is gated
    Mirkwood is gated
    Lots and lots of places, cannot be reached, no matter how generous the end gamers turn out to be.

The way it's working at present is poorly thought out.
    The response to the backlash we see here, is even more poorly thought out, as it stipulates a solution that is for a lot of the time - not even possible.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast