We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

BruTE converter simple guide

A few simple instructions on how to use the BruTE converter made by Das Bruzo.

Download the converter from here: https://sites.google.com/site/brutemm/the-program
    Extract the files to your desired destination.

Open the gui application.
    Import a midi by clicking Midi-Select Midi (Ctrl+M).
    Click Map-Default Map (Ctrl+N).
    Click Transcode-ABC filename (Ctrl+F)
    Choose a destination and name for your abc file.
    Click Transcode-Transcode (Ctrl+T)

All this would require the midi to be somewhat in 'good' condition. Meaning that the volumes, quantization etc is as it should be. Which I rarely find it is, but that can be quite induvidual, of course.
    The Rosegarden midi editor is a good tool for quantizations and will work best on Linux (there is a 'Windows' version, but to some it crashes).

If you, like me, want to use your own drummap you should use Maestro version 1.4.1 to export a drummap txt file from a midi file to the directory of BruTE.
    Note: On my system Maestro doesn't allow me to have two different versions of Maestro open on the same drive. So having the version 1.4.1 on another drive should do the trick (I occasionally use Maestro 2.3.0 for conversions, but also for a better general view when using BruTE).
    Also; the abc player from Maestro 1.4.1 will give you a much better result when listening to an abc made with BruTE.
    You can find all the Maestro versions here: https://github.com/digero/maestro/releases

Editing in BruTE:
    Being just text it is quite simple and explained in the notes by Bruzo.
    Any track is a block of text that gives you the possibility to play around with it. Do note that a Maestro track 1 is track 2 in the BruTE text block and so forth.
    Any track can be removed simply by deleting the block of text for that track.

To have an instrument playing more than one track you just type in the desired midi track after or before the already listed midi track...
    Example:

abctrack begin
    %voladjust %uncomment to try automatic compensation for U16.1 volumes (experimental!)
    polyphony 6 top
    duration 2
    % Original instrument : 65 Alto Sax
    instrument horn
    miditrack 4 pitch -12 volume -30
    miditrack 6 pitch 0 volume -50
    miditrack 10 pitch 12 volume 20
    abctrack end

There is more to BruTE actually, but this is, as said, just a simple explaination of how to use it.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Concert every Monday 20.00-22.00 CET (14.00-16.00 server time) at West Bree stables on Gwaihir.
    Alles musik oder was!
    Instant Play YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Quasquid/featured

I am just going to bump up this. Reason; the midi to abc BruTE converter by Bruzo is in most cases superior to Maestro.
    Especially when it comes to tempo changes, but also the "attack" and "release" of the midi-notes seems to be much better treated by BruTE for lotro abc.

Yes, it does not have a great interface like Maestro, but I can assure you that once you get started with BruTE it makes perfectly sense. And on top of that you have many options with BruTE. Some hidden, but I'm sure that Bruzo (SchorschiSchrumpf) will be more than happy to fill you in a bit.

Pitch bends. Sounds nice in a midiplayer, but can and will often lead to issues with both BruTE and Maestro (BruTE ignores pitch bends really). Surely Maestro treats some of the bends quite ok, but the timings will often be wrong. Depending on the bend, of course. You can however edit those bends yourself with a midi editor.

Which leads me to the source. The midi file. Many midi files are not properly made which instantly leads to issues when converted to abc. That could be the rhythm of a guitar or the timings of a drum, a nice solo et cetera.. So I think it's imperative to always check the internet for other versions; there might be better. And there is no harm in asking other bands for a midi.
    Using a midi editor is a must, if you ask me. Even if it's just for smaller things like removing the 3-4 cymbal notes in the beginning of a midi that many has. Understanding your midi editor and understanding the limits of lotro abc is also quite important for a better and more satisfying result. There are a good deal of free source midi editors out there; begin your search!

BruTE is not a magic tool, but it uses the somewhat limited lotro abc system to almost its maximum. Give it a go and try out for yourself. Begin with a song that only has 1-3 tracks so you get to learn BruTE. The very basic guide above this post will tell you how and just so you don't get frustrated right away; to change you desired instrument for a track you simply replace the text that says "instrument horn".

Happy converting.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Concert every Monday 20.00-22.00 CET (14.00-16.00 server time) at West Bree stables on Gwaihir.
    Alles musik oder was!

I have tried following the instructions, and have never been able to figure out how to get BruTe's sytem to work. There may be advantages to BruTe's system but as it isn't very easy to figure out, I guess I'll stick with Maestro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannariel View Post
    I have tried following the instructions, and have never been able to figure out how to get BruTe's sytem to work. There may be advantages to BruTe's system but as it isn't very easy to figure out, I guess I'll stick with Maestro.
    Well, I'm not a GUI person really - my main issue is that I will never see and understand the issues, as I am myself very familiar with the program. Without any real feedback I won't be able to improve on anything - what steps did you do, in which order, what happened, etc...

In general ( with a lot of exceptions of course! ) fast songs with a lot of tempo changes get out much better when using BruTE. For the simple reason that BruTE will give you an ABC that uses every little bit of precision the game allows. Maestro does not reach that limit, so those pieces will have a wonky rythm most of the time - you will have to edit the tempo changes in the midi to get rid of those artifacts - but few people do, sadly.

Once you know how Maestro modulates the rythm when it can't get it to fit - you can never unhear it, it's like the clock ticking in your room.

So to conclude, there is nothing wrong using Maestro, but please: if you notice a wonky rythm, go and change the tempo changes in the MIDI to fit on to clean multiples of some base value ( for instance: if your tempo goes from 107 to 110 to 130 .. change that at least to 105, 110, 130 - you might also try 108, 108, 132 .. all you have to do is find a large approximate common denominator and see if that helps with those rythm modulations ). Also tempo changes are for full measures only in Maestro, so move those changes to the start of measures, not have them in the middle.

or use BruTE, it'll give you the real timings without any effort, hehehe - I just had to finish with this line!
    Last edited by SchorschiSchrumpf; Aug 20 2018 at 05:25 AM.
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

@Hannariel
    I'm sorry you can't get it to work. Are you sure you followed my simple guide? And don't be afraid of asking here or in-game. We're not many, but a few of us uses BruTE.
    It's just great to have multiple tools to work/fool around with
    Alles musik oder was!

I got the midi file to map, transcode and save. But editing the parts is a bit more complicated than I want to get. I like the simple way maestro has where you can just drag a midi file into it. Assign the instruments and listen to it there or save and listen in the abc player. I tried listening to the saved BruTe file that I transcoded in the abc player and it sounds nothing like the actual midi file at all. I guess it comes down to being lazy. I just don't want to work that hard.

Once you get a little used to BruTE it's quite fast to use and comes with a lot more options than Maestro. BruTE even spits out a log file to tell you that there might be issues with the midi being converted for LotRo abc.
    If you're new to BruTE you should really try out first with a 1-2 guitar tracks. And make sure to read my first two posts in this topic again.
    Here's a few sites with many nice midis for 1-3 instruments: http://herso.freeservers.com/tabs_and_midis.html and http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/i...etical%20order

I sometimes have Maestro open for a better general view while fooling around with BruTE, but you could also use any midi editor/sequencer for that.
    I'm actually curious about what midi you used for your testing of BruTE.
    Alles musik oder was!