We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

2017 Lost on Ledgendary

Lvl 60 LM

Have two Legendary staff and two LEG books.

- I bought a legacy slot for my 1st LW, but can't get a LEG in it.

Having trouble getting these pictures to post, but this is the best way to explain.

Here are the items I bought to add a "legacy" in the extra slot but none of them work.

Lots of money going down the drain.

ALSO:

I'd like the star crystal to make the weapon glow. Is that possible? And how?

Judging forum user name I'm not sure if this is late April's fools joke or someone actually used store to purchase low level LI stuff that is old within few hours of gameplay. What.

That is default epic book LI one shouldn't be able to replace legacies afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Judging forum user name I'm not sure if this is late April's fools joke or someone actually used store to purchase low level LI stuff that is old within few hours of gameplay. What.

That is default epic book LI one shouldn't be able to replace legacies afaik.
    The staff only levels up to 40, therefore it's the beginner LI staff for an LM from Vol 2 Book 1. Presumably the book is the same but I can't tell.

Assuming this is not a prank post, the beginner LI's you receive in the Vol 2 Book 1 have certain restrictions on them.

Hang onto the scrolls and crystals. If you really are level 60, get yourself a level 60 staff and book. Check your wallet for Rusted Dwarf Tools or Khudzul Tablets. You can barter those for new staffs and books inside Moria (Look for an LM trainer in Dolven View or just outside the vault bunker in the 21st Hall). level 60 LI's can also be crafted by players if they have the right craft. LI staffs are made by the Woodworker craft and need membership to the woodworker craft guild. LM books are made by the Scholar craft and need membership to the Scholar craft guild.

The crystals are not what makes an LI glow, it's the "title scroll" that sets the damage type on the LI, plus some graphics settings you can adjust in the LOTRO client under Options. I can't remember exactly which settings, but it's in there. The staff in the first pic has had a title scroll used on it, Scion of the Drowned Kingdom. That's Westernesse damage. Any time you physically hit a mob with that staff, it will do Westernesse Damage to the mob, which is most effective against undead type mobs.

Just near the stable in Dolven View are two dwarves who hold quests for instances. You will need an infused gemstone of some sort to get into those instances. Several of those instances offer title scrolls as quest rewards that allow you to change the damage type of an LI weapon. Look at their quests, the quest text will tell you which type of infused gem you need and also what type of title scroll will be a reward. Not all of their quests have a title scroll as a reward. These two dwarves offer the same title scroll you have already used on the staff, Scion of the Drowned Kingdom, and one other type, Guardian of the Deep Halls, which is an Ancient Dwarf damage type. It's most effective against dragons and similar reptile type mobs, and it glows red. There is one more main title scroll for damage type, Beleriand, which works best against "Ancient Evil" type mobs, but the dwarves don't have that one. There is a three man instance that starts at the camp at Echad Dunnan in Eregion which has a Beleriand title scroll as a reward, or you can earn a similar scroll in Lothlorien by collecting quest reward tokens and bartering for the scroll in Caras Galadhon in Lothlorien.

As you progress through the game there will be other factions that offer similar scrolls, and you can get some as quest rewards along the way.

There are similar title scrolls for LM books, but they don't change the damage type because you don't hit mobs with your book. Book title scrolls do other things.

Do not get too attached to any LI before level 100. LI's are just like other weapons and items before you reach Moria. They are useful for a while but eventually you will upgrade to something better as you level up. Expect to be upgrading to a new higher level staff approx. every 5 exp levels, and similar for LM books. Because of the way the legacies on LI's are randomised, you will rarely get a "perfect" LI each time. Don't stress out over that. Use something that's good enough, when your get to level 100, you will be able to set up "perfect' LI's that have exactly the legacies you want, and you will be able to keep using those LI's without needing to replace them again, but that only works with level 100 LI's, it doesn't work with LI's below level 100.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

---
    To siipperi:

Why do you need to answer snidely without providing any help? Why take the time to answer a question just to insult someone? Surely you have better ways to use your time.

Why needle with "April Fool" or "prank" post. Do you think that makes you look smart?

With the pictures and the effort I put into asking, it is obvious I was confused and lost.

I've only played the game for a few weeks. I always solo. This is a very complex game with thousands of pages of info.

Did I miss that information clearly written somewhere on a Wiki? Or in the store? Or in the Quests?

It must be an issue with your self-esteem.

Anything else mean you'd like to say to someone asking for help?

---

To GarethB: Thank you. Your response was very helpful, inspite of the unnecessary "prank" dig.* I am grateful for your thoughtfulness. It is clear you gave me guidance to move forward many levels.

I knock myself out looking for answers before I ask on a forum.

Your answer will save me days of effort and plenty of month.

Good Karma to you!

(Sorry, I did find the answer on "glow" but didn't get a chance to edit my post.)

*I did reach level to 60 all by myself. No Fellowship and no help. It's the way I LOVE to play until I'm forced to go with a group.
    Last edited by EverApril; Apr 04 2017 at 11:07 PM.

This is about a month old, but I will chime in just in case.
    First off, check this guide as it gives awesome info about all things legendary.
    http://lotroplayers.com/2014/05/28/l...-to-the-grind/

The reason for ridiculing you encountered is that adding an extra legacy slot to an item is insanely expensive and should only be done on endgame gear.

That said, this is your 'beginner' LI and really supposed to last only till something better comes along. Once you start Moria, legendaries drop like candy.
    The real problem here I think is that your item is still level 27. First three reforges at level 10, 20 and 30 are the ones that add more legacies to your item. I suppose that item below 30 is simply not allowed to have more than 5 legacies. Once you do the lvl 30 reforge, and choose the 6th legacy, you should also be able to fill the extra 7th slot. However, I suggest you contact customer service and try to get your extra slot 'unapplied' as it is a colossal waste.

About glow and star lit crystals: these crystals give a boost to your item primary legacy. And they too should be reserved for endgame (lvl 100+) legendaries. At least the ones that come as hobbit rewards or store bought. These crystals do not do the glow.

Glow comes from specific damage type. I.e. Beleriand has blue lightning effect. The title on your staff (scion of drowned kingdom) gives it Westernesse damage type, cant recall what visual effect that has. The legendary item title scrolls for Westernesse and Ancient Dwarf damage can be obtained from certain Dolven View daily quests in Moria. Beleriand can be first found in Mirkwood, once kindred with Malledhrim is achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    And they too should be reserved for endgame (lvl 100+) legendaries.
    There are star lits within the level limit too. I get tons of such from Filikul in example (because I am hunting Nanus), and they are not useful for anything else but my alts with lvl 60ish LIs. So not all of them should be reserved for endgame, best one looks at the tooltip and checks the wiki if one is confused.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Glow comes from specific damage type. I.e. Beleriand has blue lightning effect. The title on your staff (scion of drowned kingdom) gives it Westernesse damage type, cant recall what visual effect that has. The legendary item title scrolls for Westernesse and Ancient Dwarf damage can be obtained from certain Dolven View daily quests in Moria. Beleriand can be first found in Mirkwood, once kindred with Malledhrim is achieved.
    Dolven View is the only place that offers a weapon title scroll with Ancient Dwarf Make damage. You cannot get that damage type from any other place. I don't roleplay but I have a personal rule for my one Dwarf character. He only uses Ancient Dwarf damage on his LI weapons (showing some dorf pride), so every time he switched to new LI weapons, back to Dolven View for some more Ancient Dwarf damage scrolls. I've been a bit disappointed that there were no new Ancient Dwarf damage scrolls available from Thror's Coomb in Enedwaith, considering it's a dwarf outpost with a lot of dragon-kind mobs nearby, or possibly as a selectable reward in some of the Lonely Mountain instances. We're up to our eyeballs in Westernesse and Beleriand damage scrolls, and only one Ancient Dwarf scroll from one single location in the entire game.

There is a Beleriand damage scroll available in Lothlorien, Hero of Caras Galadhon. https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...Caras_Galadhon
    The barter NPC for this title scroll is on a tree flet, one level up from the vault building in Caras Galadhon.

Echad Dunnan in Eregion also has a three man instance called Midnight Raid that offers a plain Beleriand scroll as well.

It might be easier to get a Beleriand scroll in Mirkwood compared to Caras Galadhon, I haven't compared the two and it's been a long time since I played through those two zones.

Anyway, here's a full list of LI title scrolls, with links that tell you where to get them and what types of tokens you need to barter for them.
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Titles

So, I suppose I might as well toss in an opinion on whether one particular damage type is better than the others. For the most part, no. Any damage type from a title scroll is better than not using a damage title scroll at all. If you do not use a damage title scroll on an LI weapon, that LI weapon will do "common" damage, and all mobs have more resistance to common damage than any other type of damage. If you are doing slayer deeds where you expect to fight a lot of mobs that are vulnerable to a particular damage type, it might be worth getting a damage title scroll for that type of damage, but apart from that any damage title scroll is better than no damage title scroll at all.

For tactical classes (LM's, Minstrels and RK's) where most of your damage doesn't involve physically hitting a mob with a weapon it's not quite as important compared to the other classes, but if you look at the list I linked, many title scrolls not only change the damage type of the weapon, they also buff a character stat, so a title scroll can give your character a small improvement on top of the improvement to dps the weapon will get by not being common damage.

Actually, having a closer look at the list I linked, Beleriand is the most common damage type available, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Westernesse should be the most common type available. It's the damage type with the strongest historical connection to the race of men, and on the linked list, every title scroll that has Westernesse damage is linked to Numenor, the kindom of men that Elendil, the man who founded Gondor, came from. Why don't Gondor NPC's barter the damage type that their history is most closely connected to, Westernesse? And Rohan doesn't have good relations with Lothlorien, they think of Galadriel as some kind of dangerous witch/sorceress (maybe she turned some Rohirrim into newts), but the damage type Rohan NPC's offer is the damage type most closely associated with elves. Wouldn't it make more sense for Rohan to have learned about Westernesse damage through their very long friendship and alliance with Gondor and use that damage type instead?

I could accept an argument that the men of Rohan weren't always distrustful of elves and may have had good enough relations with elves at some point to learn about Beleriand damage. After all (in the book), when Eomer first meets Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, Eomer knows Legolas is an elf straight away and doesn't show any sign of surprise at seeing an elf. Maybe whatever tension there is between Rohan and elves was very recent, perhaps something that Saruman was doing to isolate Rohan from potential allies that could help Rohan resist Saruman's plans to conquer Rohan, but if Rohan's opinion of Lothlorien was turning sour, wouldn't the men of Rohan start to reject the works and crafts of elves like Beleriand damage in favour of the works and crafts of men like Westernesse damage?

I'm probably overthinking this way too much, but if someone from SSG reads this, I think Beleriand damage scrolls have been overplayed. In areas where men are the main group, especially in areas where there is a strong historical conection to the men who survived the fall of Numenor, Westernesse should be the most common damage type available.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post

I'm probably overthinking this way too much, but if someone from SSG reads this, I think Beleriand damage scrolls have been overplayed. In areas where men are the main group, especially in areas where there is a strong historical conection to the men who survived the fall of Numenor, Westernesse should be the most common damage type available.
    At End Game, everyone is walking around with 1st age Legendaries. Numenor was founded in the 2nd age, Arnor and successor states like Gondor in the 3rd, so Westernesse titles shouldn't even be canonically allowed to applied to 1st age weapons. Beleriand should be the most common and have the best titles for 1st age LIs, and of course there were dwarves in the Beleriand reigion also, if one needs to explain away Beleriand being better and older than Ancient Dwarf (which could be considered 2nd age and later, dwarf make).
    Last edited by Maryam; May 12 2017 at 06:47 AM.
    Arkenstone (formerly Landroval):
    Lizaveta, r11 Minstrel.

Eviliz Unseen, r11 Warg. Lizifer, r11 Defiler.

@OP:

Your mistake in spending real money on your very first LI is understandable. The Legendary Item system is intentionally obtuse, and many pitfalls exist within the system to make players waste in-game and IRL re$ources unnecessarily. Slipperi did not mean anything pejorative against you. IMO. The LotRO community has written many good guides to LIs, including Kayleigh Starshine of Landroval and Dadi's excellent guides. These are worth a read.

A poster above has given good advice on how to handle LIs from level 51-99. The rules change at 100 for Imbuing. Try to consider 51-99 "practice" LIs where you replace them regularly and maybe experiment with different builds. But these levels are a bad place to spend money improving your LIs unless you are Level Capping artificially with a Stone of the Tortoise to see all content before moving on.

Welcome to the mid-game of LotRO. Hope you enjoy the journey.