We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soloing advice needed

I have a friend of mine who does not really come to the forums, but is looking for advice on solo leveling 95 - 105. He is saying it's become pretty hard. I am thinking it might be his gear/LI, but I haven't checked his stuff as I am not that high yet, but who knows. He was wondering which pets most people use in this range and I guess any other insight people might have with leveling a LM at this level. Thank.
    Pinched - Burglar - Founding member of the Kin that Says Nii on Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by abrahamL View Post
    I have a friend of mine who does not really come to the forums, but is looking for advice on solo leveling 95 - 105. He is saying it's become pretty hard. I am thinking it might be his gear/LI, but I haven't checked his stuff as I am not that high yet, but who knows. He was wondering which pets most people use in this range and I guess any other insight people might have with leveling a LM at this level. Thank.
    If his dps are too low with a raven on red then he should go on blue and take the linx or swampwarden. But his problems should be his gear just his legacies. But however on blue there shouldn´t be any problems left for soloing.

I know ppl choose different lines and playstiles but for me i soloed mostly in red line with bear as pet.
    LM dps in red line is more than enough to any quest. Add to that all the cc we have and the bear as tank.
    Also remember that, as a light armor class, we need to be carefull with the fights we choose.

Quote Originally Posted by abrahamL View Post
    What does he mean by, "pretty hard?" Is he having trouble surviving or is it a problem of taking a long time to kill things?

I believe that blue line is the most survivable while in red, you will tend to kill things faster, although there is nothing quite like "Sic'em" to take out a signature mob quick. I tend to use the bear in blue because he is tough, can pull a mob off the LM and has frequent flanks for heals.

As others have said, gear and legendary items and legacies should be looked at although you don't need raid gear for landscape. He should also make sure he has invested all available trait points in a sensible way. Finally, virtues can be good for increasing mitigations which will help with survivability.

I don't even use my pet on landscape or I get bored. And I'm using a mix of level 100 and box run gear. So I would look into his gear. If I do use a pet for a harder quest, it would be bog guardian or maybe bear or lynx. Don't forget landscape soldier tokens from the skirm camp if you want even more firepower.

Also what trait tree is he in? Red should be able to blow up anything easily with Lightning Storm.

Yellow is an easy leveler, too. Great defense (debuffs, CC and heal), high burst damage to oneshot mobs.
    http://www.lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/l.php?c=6y6

Abusing adding insult to injury on each questmob. Light of the rising dawn, test of will, stormlore, sword and storm, bear hug..... enough to one-two shot nearly every non elite/signature. Add AC-empowered Lightning Storm every once in a while...
    With disable and both induction traits you are able to AITI twice with test of will.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
    Lingering Wound needs to scale the same way Barbed Arrow and Exsanguinate do.

Thanks for all of the help. I will pass this info along.
    Pinched - Burglar - Founding member of the Kin that Says Nii on Landroval.

I'm also wondering about this. I'm a returning player with a 95 LM.

The yellow LM trait line is interesting, thanks for sharing that!
    For others, what traits specifically would you recommend for fastest solo leveling?
    Willawen: LM, Tazwen: Champ - House of Play - Landroval

Formerly: Diamint/Yvanor | Silverkeep, Vilya

Quote Originally Posted by Nimenthe View Post

For others, what traits specifically would you recommend for fastest solo leveling?
    Don't forget to take a look at virtues. If he BoV/GoV to 95 then he has not much in the way of mitigations. Drop back to lvl 90 and work west rohan for class points and deeds for virtues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimenthe View Post

Red is for blowing up stuff with fire and lightning.
    Blue is for blowing stuff up with pets.
    Yellow is for debuffs, mostly used in groups.

I use red for soloing but blue would be fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Yellow is for debuffs, mostly used in groups.
    ...and for onehitting stunable mobs aka questmobs.

I've got a blue 105 and leveling a red (currently 65). Pretty much solo at the moment, so these tips apply for that.

Red.
    The lynx has bonus to damage for red. I usually have this one out in general, mostly taking on singles. Even if you do attack a group with your AOE, lynx is still good. Lynx does not usually have a problem getting or re-acquiring aggro. Lynx gets the edge over bog-guardian for two reasons: It hits harder, and lynx has a much lower visual profile. Boggy can get in your line of sight and hinder targeting. Lynx attack is almost like a range attack in that the mob never sees it until it attacks.

Use a bear if you need tanking, damage is diminished, but for mobs that hit hard, it is nice to have an option to re-direct aggro. Some places where you know mobs will come in 3s or more, use your saber cat. Aggro will be an issue since your pet will usually only keep one mob on it, but if you are blasting AOE, not usually a problem. They are usually all defeated soon. AOE of cat gives you a leg up on all the mobs.

Blue:
    I usually have bog guard out. Your blue attributes buff it up so even though it is not a tank, it can take a pounding, and draw and keep aggro.
    You have better heals (especially for yourself) so you can manage the damage.
    I have several points in yellow de-buffs (at 105) and red fire damage.
    Pet army (Sic Em!) is nice. I think for a single target it cannot be beat. It is kind of wonky so best to practice your timing. Worst thing is to get knocked out before you can send em! You lose precious seconds of limited concentrated attack time.
    For most Epic Battles I use the spirit pet. It can heal EVERYTHING, at least all NPCs in the vicinity with one skill.

If you are duo-ing with a mainly DPS class, the spirit pet can also be useful.

I do have a yellow 57 LM but leveling one of those solo is SLOOOOW. You are almost never in danger of being defeated, but DPS is a tad lower than the other trees. Good to have (even solo) xp with a yellow because they are very useful in groups.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

It's been a while since I was 95 but if I remember rightly, my experience was that it was a little challenging, though I wouldn't say *hard* (I wasn't dying, but was kind of cautious). But then I got to level 100 (max at the time) and started working on my gear/LI -- that made a huge difference. That took me from "a little challenging" to "easy mode".

My LM is red and uses the lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    I do have a yellow 57 LM but leveling one of those solo is SLOOOOW.
    Use "Adding Insult to Injury" and you will realise single target burst is higher than red.
    Lotrd, embers, loot. Test of will, embers, loot. Stormlore, embers, loot. Staffstrike(sword and Storm), embers, loot. Bearhug, embers, loot.
    AITI is way too strong and makes LM rather boring. The reason HD killed LM for me. Too much damage in yellow and flanking became worthless- not to mention the windskills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatharil View Post
    Use "Adding Insult to Injury" and you will realise single target burst is higher than red.
    Lotrd, embers, loot. Test of will, embers, loot. Stormlore, embers, loot. Staffstrike(sword and Storm), embers, loot. Bearhug, embers, loot.
    AITI is way too strong and makes LM rather boring. The reason HD killed LM for me. Too much damage in yellow and flanking became worthless- not to mention the windskills.
    Replied in the other thread about this. I will definitely pull out the Yellow LM now and test.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

Confused now...Insult to Injury is a Guardian Skill...
    Sword and Storm is a red-line trait that would cost 20 points if you were yellow
    I give, what is HD? Helms Deep? How did that kill the LM?
    Last edited by Dotlbeme; Jun 19 2017 at 11:54 AM.

Insult to Injury is also a yellow line LM bonus. You can see it listed on the trait line selection screen (not the trait point allocation screen). It makes Burning Embers do bonus damage to a stunned enemy.

Helm's Deep was the expansion where trait trees were introduced. It changed the way traits work for all classes, and many people are still unhappy with the trait tree system.

Insult to Injury is also a yellow line LM bonus. You can see it listed on the trait line selection screen (not the trait point allocation screen). It makes Burning Embers do bonus damage to a stunned enemy.

Helm's Deep was the expansion where trait trees were introduced. It changed the way traits work for all classes, and many people are still unhappy with the trait tree system.
    Still not finding (Insult to Injury). It is not listed anywhere on lotro wiki for lore-masters. I will have to wait to see if I can find it on my yellow LM in game.

-edit ok found it on Burning Embers Basically means stunned targets get more damage...thanks.
    Last edited by Dotlbeme; Jun 19 2017 at 01:32 PM.

Still not finding (Insult to Injury). It is not listed anywhere on lotro wiki for lore-masters. I will have to wait to see if I can find it on my yellow LM in game.
    http://www.lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/l.php

just look here, pick the lm. it´s passive for choosing the yellow path.

Confused now...Insult to Injury is a Guardian Skill...
    Sword and Storm is a red-line trait that would cost 20 points if you were yellow
    I give, what is HD? Helms Deep? How did that kill the LM?
    What HD brought:
    massive melee and staffstrike nerf, massive flanking nerf, gust of wind and windlore(only use is sprerading debuffs now) worthless, -5 targets for stormlore and herblore, no reliable ranged damage debuff aka old windlore. beacon of + 1 sec induction. pre HD it had 0,2 sec. share the power hasn't any notable cost anymore and its induction is longer than pre HD.
    What did we get in exchange? allmighty boring embers....

not as many as you think are unhappy with the trait tree changes. the old system was horrible and even more grindy than what we have now.

What HD brought:
    massive melee and staffstrike nerf, massive flanking nerf, gust of wind and windlore(only use is sprerading debuffs now) worthless, -5 targets for stormlore and herblore, no reliable ranged damage debuff aka old windlore. beacon of + 1 sec induction. pre HD it had 0,2 sec. share the power hasn't any notable cost anymore and its induction is longer than pre HD.
    LM's are in the best place they have ever been offensively. LM's were trash-tier at launch and remained so for a long time, being brought to groups only for power.

pet has to flank a ton because both the lm and the pet did pathetic damage - you needed flanks to live through the most mundane of landscape fights.

oh and of course nothing we had affected undead and most of it didn't affect plants.

no - there is no way in hell you can convince me the old way was better beyond a buff to staff strike for all lines though - it should hit with both weapons at a minimum.

-edit ok found it on Burning Embers Basically means stunned targets get more damage...thanks.
    Aaand.... With the stun connected to Test of Will, you can get two of those massive hits off with burning Embers since the stun lasts longer!
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 (active) Mini

What HD brought:
    All those nerf after HD you wrote are mostly minor nerf...
    Main nerf are:
    - Short SI duration ! 20sec n cd is 18 ! It is hardest nerf LM got with HD
    - Rooted target, will consume your applied SI = no SI applied on rooted target !
    - State Imunity after target is stuned/rooted !
    - no ranged debuff(which you wrote above)

For me: LM now is second outdated class behind beorn
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supereme excellence.
    Supreme excellence consist in breaking enemys resitance without fighting" Sun Tzu - the Art of War.

For me the massive nerf of flank'n'spank killed the LM fun. Playing with flanking was what made the Lm so much fun. Still a great debuffer, but why should I play a great debuffer, when it isn't fun soloing or in small fellowships, anymore?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast