We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Can't install

Can't install

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.3, and I cannot install LOTRO. I have changed the security setting to allow programs from anywhere, but it is still "stopping unexpectedly" at the Check Product of the installation process. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks!

This may be helpful:

Process: lotrolauncher [25222]
    Path: /Volumes/VOLUME/lotroLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/lotrolauncher
    Identifier: com.turbine.lotrolauncher
    Version: 1600.0056.4056.4063 lotro (1600.0056.4056.4063 lotro)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: lotrolauncher [25222]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-03-01 15:50:58.134 -0500
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.3 (16D32)
    Report Version: 12
    Anonymous UUID: 2AE02E5B-CA83-5297-73B5-53FBAC6A8E35

Sleep/Wake UUID: 9BC34819-365A-423E-AD1F-20690903B3AC

Time Awake Since Boot: 42000 seconds
    Time Since Wake: 100 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 14

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000b0625fbc
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Bus error: 10
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xa
    Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0xb0625fbc:

I can't install to mac either

I have ver 10,12,3 also.
    I can download all 243 files.
    But when I get to:
    Downloading "EN Loading Screen 10"
    I can't get beyond this point. Been trying for 10 hours.
    I can reply to your post but cannot create my own post??
    I guess I might have to look to another game for game play : (

I played years ago before I bought Mac's and had to stop as LOTRO did not support mac back then.
    I guess now they do but perhaps poorly.
    I hope someone has a suggestion.

Generally speaking, installation problems of this nature are related to your ISP.
    That is to say, the download is corrupted. This happens frequently with WiFi connections.
    Try an ethernet connected setup.

The LOTRO download is quite self-healing. However, you need to completely quit it and begin again.

IMPORTANT: The only valid download location for the Mac Client is from the main LOTRO website: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download
    There are no other download sites which provide working clients.

Frequently, all you need to do is to completely power-cycle your environment.
    Completely quit or force-quit LOTRO.
    Shut your system down. (do not allow it to "restart those applications you had running at shutdown.")
    power off your Router
    power off your modem
    Wait a full minute on the clock.
    Power up your modem - wait until it is completely powered up (frequently about 2 minutes)
    Power up your Router - wait until it is completely powered up (frequently about another 2 minutes!)
    Boot up your Mac.
    Launch LOTRO

I'm running on a 2010 27 inch iMac with Sierra 10.12.3 - with no problems.

Note that any time LOTRO does a crash to the desktop, you CANNOT restart the application from the "pop-up" dialog box.
    You MUST cancel the dialog box and re-launch LOTRO from wherever you have it installed.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Generally speaking, installation problems of this nature are related to your ISP.
    That is to say, the download is corrupted. This happens frequently with WiFi connections.
    Try an ethernet connected setup.

The LOTRO download is quite self-healing. However, you need to completely quit it and begin again.

IMPORTANT: The only valid download location for the Mac Client is from the main LOTRO website: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download

Frequently, all you need to do is to completely power-cycle your environment.
    Completely quit or force-quit LOTRO.
    Shut your system down. (do not allow it to "restart those applications you had running at shutdown.")
    power off your Router
    power off your modem
    Wait a full minute on the clock.
    Power up your modem - wait until it is completely powered up (frequently about 2 minutes)
    Power up your Router - wait until it is completely powered up (frequently about another 2 minutes!)
    Boot up your Mac.
    Launch LOTRO

I'm running on a 2010 27 inch iMac with Sierra 10.12.3 - with no problems.

Note that any time LOTRO does a crash to the desktop, you CANNOT restart the application from the "pop-up" dialog box.
    You MUST cancel the dialog box and re-launch LOTRO from wherever you have it installed.
    Hi Val:
    I did everything you said. Hooked into router directly (both times) used proper website (both times)
    tossed prior download, empty trashed, rebooted router, rebooted computer and re downloaded lotro (12 hours).

Same result, stuck on (Downloading "EN Loading Screen 10")
    2011 iMac with Sierra 10.12.3

Guess I will look for new game or go back to WOW
    Thanks for the help

install problems

ok, finally found away around problem. Nothing was wrong with my computer. It was my server that was hanging up.
    Dropped my 12 speed server for my 1.5 speed server and it finished the install.

Quote Originally Posted by DelMorro View Post
    ok, finally found away around problem. Nothing was wrong with my computer. It was my server that was hanging up.
    Dropped my 12 speed server for my 1.5 speed server and it finished the install.
    ??? What do you mean by server???

I've never heard the word "server" used in such a reference.

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Val,
    Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/212500/
    offers both a Windows and a Mac version of the Lotro software. Is there something wrong with their Mac installer?
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Val,
    Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/212500/
    offers both a Windows and a Mac version of the Lotro software. Is there something wrong with their Mac installer?
    Thanks.
    I cannot say currently as I have not tried Steam for a year or more now. For a while, for some reason, I was not seeing the Steam download for either version at all.
    (Might have simply been the Turbine-SSG transition issues while the wallets were broken.)
    At one time, the Steam Installer was the only download working reliably. (Egad, I just looked, I haven't downloaded the Steam version since early 2014!)

Both the main LOTRO site and Steam offer copies of the same 2012, Update 8 Riders of Rohan, versions of the Windows and Mac Clients. . . and then you patch!

(Heaven help us that Turbine, and now SSG, might consider updating the download to Update 19 to save the new downloaders from having to go through that humungous patch cycle after just downloading the basic client. Sigh.)

The one problem which was happening for a while, and which rears its head from time to time -- there were a bunch of "Apple Cider" and similar "WINE Wrapper" versions floating around the net. These were based on a version of WINE which broke with Update 15 as I recall. WINE itself was quickly patched to deal with the problem, but those "pre-packaged" versions were never updated by whoever created them.

Turbine went through a whole series of different Content Providers for a while, and it appeared that there was a corrupted cache somewhere, and the probability of getting a "fresh" copy was seriously iffy for either version.
    For a while, Steam was offering the "play now before the download completes" version, which was a disaster.

Right now, I suspect that the only issues are local ISP issues where some sort of download throttling is taking place. However, I have no way to check as I have Comcast as an ISP, and they/I have had not problem since the Data Center move and routes settled down.

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

I use the Steam Windows client. The download for me was very fast which was a long time ago. As you stated, the installer is very old. I spent an excessive amount of time patching. Patching took longer than downloading the installer and installing the game.

I no longer have a Mac around the house. It went off to Mac heaven. I do not have any way to test the Mac installer on Steam.

There were two reasons for using the Steam version:

1) I had issues with a corrupted down load when trying to get it from Turbine.

2) Turbine had a low bandwidth host. It was taking a very long time to download.

Hopefully SSG will spend some time creating new installers that are 2017. Fix whatever the issue is with the down load corruption. Better speed would be nice too.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Not sure about the Mac version, but the Win version downloaded via the LOTRO website is fully patched; it isnt the fastest server in the world though, and even with an 80Mbps pipe, it still takes about 3-4 hours for it to be drip fed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Not sure about the Mac version, but the Win version downloaded via the LOTRO website is fully patched; it isnt the fastest server in the world though, and even with an 80Mbps pipe, it still takes about 3-4 hours for it to be drip fed to me.
    Very interesting !!! I will have to check it out. The duplicate times for download and then patch have been an issue for years.

Hopefully, then Valve will also update their copies.

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Just downloaded the Mac Client from lotro.com -- the total time for download and ralted installation "stuff" was 4 minutes - on a 20 meg Comcast line.
    However, what was downloaded and installed was only 850.1 meg in size!

On Launch it begins having fun downloading the actual game files from Akamai NetSession.
    Only 5% of files downloaded after 10 minutes

The quick analysis is that, in fact, we have a whole new scheme for dowloads from lotro.com. (At least for the Mac Client)

Akamai is one of the oldest and largest of Content Delivery networks.
    Off hand, I do not know how they compare in size and distribution to Valve's network.

I will see how the download progresses and if it includes another download after the basic files download takes place.
    Download via 20meg Comcast line. Begun at 11:15 EDT Monday Mar 13. -- i.e. a mid-day download.

... 10% downloaded (10 of 243 files) Elapsed Time: 16 minutes
    ... 25% downloaded (12 of 243 files) Elapsed Time: 37 minutes
    Finished the big file - client_surface.dat (4089.0 meg)
    ... 32% downloaded (13 of 243 files) Elapsed Time: 48 minutes
    Finished a big file - Client_surface_aux (1064 meg)
    ... 38% downloaded (14 of 243 files) Elapsed Time: 56 minutes
    Finished client_highres.dat, working on client highres_aux_1.dat - the two big High Resolution files
    ... 75% downloaded (20 of 243 files) Elapsed Time 1 Hour 49 minutes
    ... 85% downloaded (40 of 243 files) Elapsed Time 2 hours
    ... 90% downloaded (111 of 243 files) Elapsed Time 2 hours 8 minutes
    ... 92% downloaded (140 of 243 files) Elapsed Time 2 hours 10 minutes
    ... 94% downloaded (170 of 243 files) Elapsed Time 2 hours 14 minutes - all "raw" DE and EN files are downloaded - starting on FR

Download completed - 243 of 243 files - Elapsed Time 2 hours 24 minutes.

A quick patch 26 files and the launcher restarted 2 minutes later --
    Total elapsed time to Login request 2 hours 26 minutes.
    Last edited by Valamar; Mar 13 2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: adding download stats

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)