We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Shadow of War

  1. #1

    Shadow of War

    http://kotaku.com/heres-the-official...-of-1792780562

    So, it looks like we're finally getting the much anticipated sequel to Shadow of Mordor. Looks pretty neat, but then I saw the release date of this summer. I really hope this doesn't create any competition with the Mordor Expansion

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    336
    You can never have too much Tolkien and Middle-earth in my book.

    I didn't even know they were coming out with a sequel and after watching the trailer.....it looks awesome. Can't wait.

    This will take nothing away from Lotro IMHO. Lotro is the still the best.

    If it's Tolkien....bring it ALL on! The more the merrier. Summer is looking sweet.

  3. #3
    Oh don't get me wrong!! I am WAY looking forward to the summer of Tolkien gaming, I'm just worried that with Shadow of War being a AAA game, it will hurt the sales of our Mordor expansion, what with the overlapping audience and all. I'm just worried about SSG.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,517
    I haven't played Shadow of Mordor and don't really know much about it, but even if the initial sales are impacted, Turbine would still win the long-term sales. Most non-MMORPG games have an "end point" of some form. People will buy the new game, win it, and come back to LOTRO.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 105 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/105 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/62 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    KY - Founder - since MEO May '03
    Posts
    2,027
    Yeah, Doesn't make much sense to discuss something that's not a part of LOTRO here. I'm so confused.
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."
    Alliance of the North - The Team - Conviction - DoME

  6. #6
    Cool expansion we got coming

    Ah I forgot. We go into mordor after everything is killed to clean up garbage and wash dead orc's dishes. That would make probably the most epic cinematic trailer tho. "take part to epic clean up process of Mordor, 3000 years of filth needs to be cleaned and you are the hero to do it".

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Linathrial View Post
    You can never have too much Tolkien and Middle-earth in my book.

    I didn't even know they were coming out with a sequel and after watching the trailer.....it looks awesome. Can't wait.

    This will take nothing away from Lotro IMHO. Lotro is the still the best.

    If it's Tolkien....bring it ALL on! The more the merrier. Summer is looking sweet.

    I hesitate to call it Tolkien. We wield a new Ring of Power for a Battle Royale against Sauron and his Nazgul? Sounds like Diablo 4.


    "In Middle-earth: Shadow of War, players wield a new Ring of Power and confront the deadliest of enemies, including Sauron and his Nazgul, in a monumental battle for Middle-earth."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,984
    Sounds like Tom gave a fake ring to Frodo...

    ----

    Shadows of Mordor is good game, but it is far from being Tolkien-ish. Besides, the story is bland and the gameplay is grindy and repetitive.
    The Signature

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    ... "take part to epic clean up process of Mordor, 3000 years of filth needs to be cleaned and you are the hero to do it".
    LMAO - siipperi, that was awesome ... clean up process! Thanks for the laugh! Finally my title from the Dwaling quest "Servant of Process" would get used - lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,984
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Cool expansion we got coming

    Ah I forgot. We go into mordor after everything is killed to clean up garbage and wash dead orc's dishes. That would make probably the most epic cinematic trailer tho. "take part to epic clean up process of Mordor, 3000 years of filth needs to be cleaned and you are the hero to do it".
    First mmorpg?
    The Signature

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    Yeah, Doesn't make much sense to discuss something that's not a part of LOTRO here. I'm so confused.
    It's another game based in the same universe.

    The only potential problem I see is with people thinking that 'Mordor? Ahh, you mean Mordor 2, Shadow of Whatever', as opposed to 'Mordor? The MMO finally made it there? Cool, I'll dust off my old characters I've all-but-forgotten'.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfVagabonds View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong!! I am WAY looking forward to the summer of Tolkien gaming, I'm just worried that with Shadow of War being a AAA game, it will hurt the sales of our Mordor expansion, what with the overlapping audience and all. I'm just worried about SSG.
    I don't think it will hurt the sales of Lotro's Mordor expansion. Actually I think the game will pick up population just due to the fact that we're finally going into Mordor.

    Can't wait for ME:Shadow of War! It looks awesome!

    Cheers.


    http://kotaku.com/heres-the-official...-of-1792780562

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerien View Post
    First mmorpg?
    You must live in warm country considering your dry sense of humor.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Newcastle - UK
    Posts
    145
    I wouldn't worry too much, peeps will realise soon enough after buying Shadows that its a lore breaking #### fest, just as the first one was a repetitive bore fest, and continue to play LOTRO

    Just my two pence worth

    Paolosh Ishara CHM - Nuirellin Elessedil HUN - Suffering Knights of Snowbourn - Evernight

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman_NUFC View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much, peeps will realise soon enough after buying Shadows that its a lore breaking #### fest, just as the first one was a repetitive bore fest, and continue to play LOTRO

    Just my two pence worth
    I just got the email about the new WB game and the offer to pre-order it today even though it isn't appearing until August (at best).

    Lest we forget, WB was the Company that sliced up Turbine and decided that it liked phone games and single player games. It cut loose the developers who had put their hearts and souls into AC, AC2, DDO and LOTRO. Fortunately for us, they allowed the creation of SSG for DDO and LOTRO. However, they turned their nose up to AC and AC2. They would not even discuss selling it to a third party. As a result, talented developers are recreating the server side of AC and AC2 with hopes of having a viable system in the near future.

    The timing of the WB version of Mordor seems suspect. It will hit the market around the same time as LOTRO Mordor.

    As a result of callous activity on the part of WB, I personally have no intention of supporting WB with the purchase of this game. I will, however, update all 3 lifetime copies of my LOTRO subs.

    I trust that other players will do likewise.
    All who wander are not lost... Stix
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000081c5/01007/signature.png]Tannras[/charsig]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Newcastle - UK
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSledge View Post
    I just got the email about the new WB game and the offer to pre-order it today even though it isn't appearing until August (at best).

    Lest we forget, WB was the Company that sliced up Turbine and decided that it liked phone games and single player games. It cut loose the developers who had put their hearts and souls into AC, AC2, DDO and LOTRO. Fortunately for us, they allowed the creation of SSG for DDO and LOTRO. However, they turned their nose up to AC and AC2. They would not even discuss selling it to a third party. As a result, talented developers are recreating the server side of AC and AC2 with hopes of having a viable system in the near future.

    The timing of the WB version of Mordor seems suspect. It will hit the market around the same time as LOTRO Mordor.

    As a result of callous activity on the part of WB, I personally have no intention of supporting WB with the purchase of this game. I will, however, update all 3 lifetime copies of my LOTRO subs.

    I trust that other players will do likewise.
    Hear, bloody hear. Although i didn't pick up a lifer account i have been a sub since 2008 and will continue to sub. up yours WB!!

    P.S. Just you wait for the mobile app mini game a la Fable coin game to tie in with it.

    Paolosh Ishara CHM - Nuirellin Elessedil HUN - Suffering Knights of Snowbourn - Evernight

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    987
    Screw WB and Shadow of War, the first game was a total snoozefest, I gave up on it after a few hours. Not even going to try this new one, just looks like more of an epic crapfest-from story line and lore point of view!
    Formerly from Elendilmir

    A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.
    Gen. Patton

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oregon Country
    Posts
    6,147
    Shadow of Mordor was an awesome game. It's really the first of its kind to break ground on open narrative. The GTA series, followed by Skyrim really broke open the world and allowed for non-linear play. However, the narrative is still stuck in the linear confined space it has always been.

    Kill the wrong NPC in Skyrim and the quest chain breaks. Don't want to do the final werewolf quest? Then you're done with them. It's lame and limiting. ME: SoM really broke that open with the nemesis system and promoting grunts into captains and champions. The narrative continues and is shaped by events in the game. That's pretty awesome and it was done in a fairly unprecedented manner. Ken Levine (formerly of Irrational Games, now with Ghost Story) has a great article on Medium about it.

    We'll see if this game measures up.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    176
    Honestly I'm excited. I put in over 100 hours on SoM, and I expect this game will be even better. Really hope there's more opportunities to play directly as Celebrimbor as, although some of his actions have been strayed from the lore in this game, he in himself in these games is a really cool and interesting character with a great design. The trailer looks cool and I think it's going to be a fun game. I have no problem buying it and the Mordor expansion both, because you can never have too much Middle Earth.

  20. #20
    Considering how much the previous one basically laughed at the license and made their own lore using LOTR names, and how it was a reskinned assassin's creed-Farcry-every ubisoft game for the past 10years, I'm not really excited. Climbing towers and doing the same stuff over and over until I can move to the next area and do the exact same was never appealing to me.
    The nemesis thing was basically the only somewhat original thing, and it was still poorly done. The orc just became more powerful when it killed you, and that's it. That's not how nemesis means. If it did had upgrade related to counter how you fight, then, yes, it would have made more sense. Instead of some random buff.
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    Kill the wrong NPC in Skyrim and the quest chain breaks.
    You can't kill "essential" NPCs that are part of quests, unless modding. You can't break quests that way. Bethesda can totally break the quests through bug though.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,865
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Cool expansion we got coming

    Ah I forgot. We go into mordor after everything is killed to clean up garbage and wash dead orc's dishes. That would make probably the most epic cinematic trailer tho. "take part to epic clean up process of Mordor, 3000 years of filth needs to be cleaned and you are the hero to do it".
    Oh, don't worry, there'll be plenty of picturesque fighting. Think about going into a tunnel and finding one -- or several -- frightened, desperate, starving Orcs with nothing to lose and something to gain (that is, you, if they can kill and eat you). Not to mention all the evil Men who are trying to carve out little realms on the ruins of Mordor and see you as an opportunity for advancement.

    But for us to go into Mordor *before* the Ring falls would draw the attention of the Eye back onto his own territory, and if he sees Frodo and Sam making their way toward Orodruin, we are all screwed. It won't happen. It DIDN'T happen.

    Edit: I quote from a post by Michael Schiffer back in the days of USENET.

    Even if [Frodo's quest] would work in theory, you might as well send an untrained private who knew no German on a mission to walk to Berlin in 1943. ... Denethor was wrong, because he lacked the virtue of Faith and gave into the sin of despair, and because he trusted only in worldly strength. In other words, he was reasonable-- up to the point when his nerve broke, and he decided that it was better to die than to face whatever fate Sauron could cook up for him-- when the right choices were to be unreasonable: to ride, like Theoden, singing against impossible odds; to trust, like Faramir, in hopeless plans; to depend, like Gandalf, on the impossible.
    Last edited by djheydt; Mar 01 2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Daguest View Post
    You can't kill "essential" NPCs that are part of quests, unless modding. You can't break quests that way. Bethesda can totally break the quests through bug though.
    Five years after launch they release their special edition that is remastered and not only does it seem like none of the old bugs are fixed but I'll be darned if they didn't add some new ones. -.- They have a PhD in bugging stuff in an epic fashion. Horse physics anyone? How about trying to get down from Meridia? I finally had to give up trying and enabled godmode just long enough to get down so I could keep playing the game. -.-
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 105 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/105 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/62 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  23. #23

    the sequel to Shadow of Mordor - competition with the LOTRO Mordor Expansion.

    i was watching a few episodes of the " shadow of mordor " game and it doesn't seem to be very similiar to the Lotro PC gameplay style that we are using here. my guess is that the world had to create a diversion for all of the people who are going to complain about lotro's version of mordor so that we dont wonder if there is something wrong with it later. lotro has always given us these futuristic types of updates and expansions which taught us things about video games that we never thought were necessary or even possible. it's very deep in many ways , just like the jrr tolkein stories. so now we have become adults together in this crazy little lotro community after almost a decade of difficult numerical calculations& speedreading practice , etc.. the differences between these two expansions oughta be great , especially since for them it's the sequel to our expansion storywise. i really believe almost everything about " shadow of mordor " was created incorrectly. hopefully we can learn from their mistakes and still be around to enjoy ourselves here in another decade and the only way to do that is by creating something totally original which is what lotro has always done before now. im sure that our version will be much more enjoyable than theirs for those who are already lotro enthusiasts& if it isnt then they will make it better when they go live on the bullroarer server. the world needs a mordor game like that one , which predictably met up with everyones expectations about how a video game should harmonize with ancient folklore.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Five years after launch they release their special edition that is remastered and not only does it seem like none of the old bugs are fixed but I'll be darned if they didn't add some new ones. -.- They have a PhD in bugging stuff in an epic fashion. Horse physics anyone? How about trying to get down from Meridia? I finally had to give up trying and enabled godmode just long enough to get down so I could keep playing the game. -.-
    People are under the false impression the Special Edition was made for customers and is actually a special edition. It's not. Here is the truth, which is official, they never hide it, they just never mention it on the store page.
    When they were making Fallout 4, they wanted to "upgrade" their old game engine (used since morrowind) into a 64bit capable engine. And capable to handle some of the most common stuff gamer enjoy nowadays. So, they took Skyrim and started to work on it, since it was easier to experiment with an old game instead of experimenting on their new game. Once it was done, they took what they learned on Skyrim, and made it into FO4. So far, the modified Skyrim was still "in house" and the public didn't see any of it.

    Then, they thought they might release it, and make some money out of it. And do another experiment : having mods on console. Thus, Skyrim SE was born.

    Bugs and issues where not fixed, because it was not meant to be released in the first place, and it was all a prototype for something else entirely. Fallout 4 come with its own bug not related at all to Skyrim.

    They basically released the prototype for the next game. And made some cash out of it. but coming from the company who were the first to introduce the DLC system by the way of the now infamous "horse armor", I don't think anyone would be surprised.

  25. #25
    I remember back in 2007 Lotro shadows of angmar had to compete with the strategy game Battle for middle earth II rise of wich king with both game have the same contest lore of Angmar and i think lotro went very good.Now lotro have to compete another game not strategy but RPG type with similar contest lore with better graphics.The competition is far bigger this time and more challenging for a company like SSG with low budget . For my opinion SSG must give everything they have on this expantion and invest a lot. If Mordor Xpac have Helms deepish ideology then Lotro is Dead. Mordor must be bigger than Moria expantion in order to succeed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Argohald 105 Champion(main), Helectra 105 (Warden) Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana 105 Lore master, Ellinas 100 (Guardian), Armonia 65 (Captain) in Landroval

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload