We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    It seems like there was some improvement made in recent months in terms of performance. There is no improvement to sheer framerate and game is still as CPU limited as it was, but stuttering seems to be less frequent and all of those violent stutters are reduced.
    Reduced stuttering where, and on what server?/ I have been getting stuttering and rubber bands ON FOOT in several low level areas; this has never happened before (Evernight server), and has continued even after the emergency reboot of the server 2 weeks ago. Whereas before, it took a warsteed to go through an area faster than the server could populate it with mobs, now I can sometimes do it on foot (with a Hunter at +15% run speed).

(Just to annoy Hurin); Gigahertz isnt everything. For the last year I have been slogging the guts out on an AMD FX6300; overclocking it from 3.6GHZ to 5.01GHZ, and then having to back off to 4.6GHZ because my watercooling couldnt keep up in the warmer weather during the summer (my room was hitting 38C due to the heat output from the cooler).

Well, thanks to a really nice guy on HUKD, I got my hands on a replacement Phenom II 1090T (I managed to kill mine); on paper, the FX6300 blows the 1090T out of the water, but guess what, at 3.6GHz the 1090T blows the FX6300 away on LOTRO, and because the overclock is so small (base is 3.2GHZ), my cpu is running at barely 36C most of the time, and 41C while playing LOTRO, the FX would idle at 42C and reach over 50C during the game on the same cooler.

Even with the cpu running 1.4GHZ below the max OC of the 6300, LOTRO is only using 65% of the core on average - with occasional peaks to 80%; at exactly the same game settings, the FX6300 was hitting 100% all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Reduced stuttering where, and on what server?/ I have been getting stuttering and rubber bands ON FOOT in several low level areas; this has never happened before (Evernight server), and has continued even after the emergency reboot of the server 2 weeks ago. Whereas before, it took a warsteed to go through an area faster than the server could populate it with mobs, now I can sometimes do it on foot (with a Hunter at +15% run speed).
    I was talking about game performance, not server performance.

(Just to annoy Hurin); Gigahertz isnt everything. For the last year I have been slogging the guts out on an AMD FX6300; overclocking it from 3.6GHZ to 5.01GHZ, and then having to back off to 4.6GHZ because my watercooling couldnt keep up in the warmer weather during the summer (my room was hitting 38C due to the heat output from the cooler).

Well, thanks to a really nice guy on HUKD, I got my hands on a replacement Phenom II 1090T (I managed to kill mine); on paper, the FX6300 blows the 1090T out of the water, but guess what, at 3.6GHz the 1090T blows the FX6300 away on LOTRO, and because the overclock is so small (base is 3.2GHZ), my cpu is running at barely 36C most of the time, and 41C while playing LOTRO, the FX would idle at 42C and reach over 50C during the game on the same cooler.

Even with the cpu running 1.4GHZ below the max OC of the 6300, LOTRO is only using 65% of the core on average - with occasional peaks to 80%; at exactly the same game settings, the FX6300 was hitting 100% all the time..
    Frequency doesn't mean the same for different products. Each architecture has its own IPC and many other factors. For example any modern Intel CPU at 3 GHz still has more single threaded performance than FX6300 at 5 GHz. Frequency is a comparable factor only within the same architecture.

Also FX6300 is not blowing 1090T out of the water, they are very comparable, especially in old games like LOTRO. They are similarly bad CPUs with half of the single threaded performance of modern CPUs.
    Last edited by Unthariel; Nov 12 2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    I was talking about game performance, not server performance.

Frequency doesn't mean the same for different products. Each architecture has its own IPC and many other factors. For example any modern Intel CPU at 3 GHz still has more single threaded performance than FX6300 at 5 GHz. Frequency is a comparable factor only within the same architecture.

Also FX6300 is not blowing 1090T out of the water, they are very comparable, especially in old games like LOTRO. They are similarly bad CPUs with half of the single threaded performance of modern CPUs.
    Wrong way around, the OLDER 1090 is blowing the 6300 out of the water. I do agree that the Intel chips have a lot more horsepower going for them though, even my daughters elderly 3GHz Xeon quad core can match and exceed the single core performance of any FX chip except the 220watt monsters, and even then it gets very close; only a few percent behind when given a very minor 9% overclock.

However the AMD chips seem to handle LOTRO better when it come to the single core issue; testing both the 1090, the 6300, a core 2 duo and the Xeon (I dont have any newer Intel boards); the AMD boards do a 60/40 spilt when given 2 cores to play with, but revert to single core if given more than 2. The Intel chips wont start on the 2nd core until the first is hammering on the ceiling, which causes heating issues.

As I said, I cannot test this on newer Intel chips, as I dont have any.

So playing LOTRO on the 1090 is a lot smoother - when the server is behaving itself.

Off Topic, My newest Hunter has just entered Moria; the plan is to NOT use LI, but see how far I can take him using weapons made by my Weaponsmith and Woodworker; FPS has been fairly consistent at between 62 and 74 fps so far, no huge fluctuations during combat or while riding my goat around. The Evernight server seem to be behaving itself tonight, only one momentary glitch in several hours of play.

Wrong way around, the OLDER 1090 is blowing the 6300 out of the water. I do agree that the Intel chips have a lot more horsepower going for them though, even my daughters elderly 3GHz Xeon quad core can match and exceed the single core performance of any FX chip except the 220watt monsters, and even then it gets very close; only a few percent behind when given a very minor 9% overclock.

However the AMD chips seem to handle LOTRO better when it come to the single core issue; testing both the 1090, the 6300, a core 2 duo and the Xeon (I dont have any newer Intel boards); the AMD boards do a 60/40 spilt when given 2 cores to play with, but revert to single core if given more than 2. The Intel chips wont start on the 2nd core until the first is hammering on the ceiling, which causes heating issues.

As I said, I cannot test this on newer Intel chips, as I dont have any.

So playing LOTRO on the 1090 is a lot smoother - when the server is behaving itself.

Off Topic, My newest Hunter has just entered Moria; the plan is to NOT use LI, but see how far I can take him using weapons made by my Weaponsmith and Woodworker; FPS has been fairly consistent at between 62 and 74 fps so far, no huge fluctuations during combat or while riding my goat around. The Evernight server seem to be behaving itself tonight, only one momentary glitch in several hours of play.
    Heating issues? How can you get heating issues on just one core with light load like that? Percentage usage is not very accurate, different things are utilizing CPU differently, 100% usage in game is not causing much heat and power draw, while some synthetic benchmark stresses the core to the limits and causes a lot of heat. But still you should never have heating issues when only one or two cores are used.

There is probably something with 1090T that makes it behave differently vs FX6300 despite similar theoretical performance. Maybe SMT on FX was causing issues? It is known for causing issues, sometimes just physical cores without SMT are performing better. And 1090T has only physical cores.

Moria doesn't have serious performance issues. You will have some in Tharakh Bazan when looking at the area from the camp and certainly during instances because there are places where mob count is pretty crazy, add to this all the player effects and skills and you will get serious FPS drops, but for questing and exploring there is little issue there. One place where it starts is Bree, and then you won't have any issues all the way to Galtrev. But it has been smooth for me today and I could run around without a single stutter on maxed out settings, it was much worse when I left the game couple months ago. Then the next stuttery place is Stangard and after that you enter Rohan and Gondor and say goodbye to good performance.

LI are probably the most interesting thing to do, I have maxed out 60lv LIs on my second character. Maxing out and generally caring about equipment and keeping your character the strongest possible at all levels is a great thing to do, especially if you are not rushing to level cap. Just leveling and questing can get boring quite quickly (although I have to say that LOTRO kept me playing for very long periods of time), but if are also doing instances, raids, fellowship quests, crafting and maxing out equipment then game is more diversified.
    Last edited by Unthariel; Nov 13 2017 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks for great analysis! I'll try to tune up my pc soon

p.s. I wonder what is SSG saying about performance issues and (hopefully) fixes?

Cores have their own temp sensors, if it overheats it will throttle, even if the overall package, and all the other cores are within tolerance. There are a number of hardware monitors that will give you the individual core temps, and if you try one, you will see that the core temps are much higher than the overal package temp

There mare major differences in architecture between the PII and the FX*, as there are between the Core2 and i series cpus, this was part of my argument with Hurin, you cannot downclock a 2017 i7 to 3GHz and get the same performance you would get from a 2008 core2 running at 3GHz, especially when testing with software designed for 2017 hardware.

* The FX has much smaller on-die L1 and L2 cache sizes and shares memory controllers between pairs of cores; the Intel i series have identically small cache sizes, except for the most recent i7 version, which quadruples them. Part of my theory about why the old, slow chips perform so well at LOTRO in comparison to new faster chips, is that the game engine devs wrote to what the hardware of the time had - bigger L1 and L2 caches; so although the newer chips are much faster, they can only store a 1/4 of the data in L1 L2 cache that the devs anticipated, as well as being optimised for modern multi-thread software.

I am aware of the FPS drop hotspots, and I have been complaining that in and around Bree they have been getting bigger in recent weeks, to the point where I was hitting a single digit fps area OUTSIDE of the town as I rode in, and getting single digit fps in parts of Bree where there has never been an issue before BUT ONLY IN ONE DIRECTION! Turn around and go the other way, and fps jumped to 45.

There has been combat lag and hiatus events all over the low level areas that never usually suffer from it, and rubber banding ON FOOT in the LoneLands. This seems to have been mostly sorted in the last few days, and my last couple of days outside of Moria were nearly hiatus free, only one really noticeable issue; and even that wasnt as bad as the 5-10 second chill-outs the server was having a few days before.

Quote Originally Posted by v0k View Post
    Thanks for great analysis! I'll try to tune up my pc soon

p.s. I wonder what is SSG saying about performance issues and (hopefully) fixes?
    Turbine had noting to say. SSG mentioned client performance improvements in one of the letters if I remember well, but honestly there is probably not much that they can do. Fixing some seriously broken things is usually harder than just starting anew. And there are most likely no resources for doing either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2