We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Standing Stone Games Investigating a 64-bit Client (No promises or anything yet...)

I was able to pop a question just as Cordovan was ending his stream for today:

Quote Originally Posted by From Twitch Stream Chat
    <chromiteswiftpaw> lotrostream/Cordovan - with the updated models are we going to get a new client to be able to handle the new complexity of the models? i.e. multithreaded or 64 bit client?

<lotrostream> We have been investigating a 64 bit client but it's too early to say more about it as it's still in the very very early formative stages.
    That's the first time I think they've ever mentioned they were investigating a 64-bit client. All previous statements were "not at this time" or some such.

Anyhow, some hope may be on the horizon. Standing Stone devs, I wish you luck because it is for the benefit of all your player base. The crash to desktops are pretty frustrating for those who run with settings that cause it to happen frequently.

Thank you, Cordovan, for answering my question even after you had just ended your stream. (I had only just gotten in to work so missed it all)
    Last edited by ChromiteSwiftpaw; Feb 09 2017 at 02:01 PM.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Here's to hoping they can pull this off.

Just to be clear, what I meant by "very very early stages" is it has just as much a chance of it NOT happening as happening, so don't get your hopes up at this time.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Just to be clear, what I meant by "very very early stages" is it has just as much a chance of it NOT happening as happening, so don't get your hopes up at this time.
    Yeah that's why I put no promises or anything yet in the title. Wanted to make sure people understood that it could go either way. It's just refreshing to finally get someone looking into it finally whereas previous responses were things like "never" or "not at this time".

SOMETHING is going to need to be done to the client to be able to handle more complex character models.. otherwise you may have a mess on your hands.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Without assuming anything or attempting to hold anyone to any promises not actually made. . . THIS WOULD BE HUGE!

Well, perhaps not merely the migration to 64-bit (which, after all, merely allows access to more RAM and beyond any improvements from that does not itself generally result in code being executed "faster"). . . but just the sense that the client and the game engine can actually be modified and improved at a low level gives me (at least) some hope. And I'd hope (though not assume) that while migrating to 64-bit, other improvements could be made!

Multi-threading especially would possibly pay dividends in places like Minas Tirith where the GPU is waiting so much on the CPU as only a single core of a CPU gets swamped. I'd put accessing multiple cores in today's modern CPUs right up there with going 64-bit. But, again, I realize they're not the same thing.

Thanks for the hope at least! Even if it doesn't eventually pan out!

--H

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    That's the first time I think they've ever mentioned they were investigating a 64-bit client.
    Pretty sure it's been mentioned before. Not sure if it was Cordovan on his stream or in one of the many interviews SSG have done recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Pretty sure it's been mentioned before. Not sure if it was Cordovan on his stream or in one of the many interviews SSG have done recently.
    Hard to prove a negative (that it hasn't been mentioned). But I follow this stuff pretty closely and this is the first time I can recall them openly entertaining the notion of a client overhaul of this depth/nature.

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Hard to prove a negative (that it hasn't been mentioned). But I follow this stuff pretty closely and this is the first time I can recall them openly entertaining the notion of a client overhaul of this depth/nature.

--H
    Yup. I am a hound for LOTRO news so try to read and watch these streams as much as possible. I don't recall them ever mentioning they were looking into it and that's why I posted the thread. It's pretty huge to go from absolutely 0 chance to them saying they are looking at it, at least.

Remember Cosmetic Weapons and Fine-grained Placement of Housing Items were at the 0 chance and "Not Possible" stages for literally years. Then along comes Vyvyanne and I happen to suggest cosmetic weapon stuff to her in a twitch chat.. she takes a note and boom gets it done. And then now the recent housing changes they surprised on us. Nice.

It's good they are acknowledging the issue. Hopefully there is things they can address on performance side on short and long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    You are correct. i got linked facebook reply earlier this week of reply to someone question that brought up question of them investigating possibilities 64-bit client, but as said by Cordovan community shouldn't draw too much conclusion from this than they are actively trying to solve performance problems, which is good.

Awesome, does that mean a new engine too is under discussion? LOTRO2?

I sincerely hope this works out for the devs and players.

It's not 2007 where 95% of PCs ran 32 bit OS.

Today, 87% of Gaming PCs run 64 Bit OS according to Steam Survey. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Thumbs up

This is good. I hope it turns out successful.

Permanently retired. Was Kibilturg, Guardian of Imladris (then Landroval & Crickhollow) and ~40 alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroval View Post
    I just want to put this out there...

A new engine...

LOTRO2...

Might not be able to use the current tech, worlds, art, etc.

And so would very likely be considered a brand new game...
    No, no, and no. This is how so many conversations on these forums fly off the rails. . .

They are talking hypothetically about a new 64-bit client for this game. They are not talking about a new game. Not at all.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but with enough money, time, and talent, there's no reason why a 64-bit client can't be made to work with existing "tech, worlds, art, etc."

This talk of "LotRO2" is only going to confuse people. It's an entirely different topic.

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    No, no, and no. This is how so many conversations on these forums fly off the rails. . .

They are talking hypothetically about a new 64-bit client for this game. They are not talking about a new game. Not at all.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but with enough money, time, and talent, there's no reason why a 64-bit client can't be made to work with existing "tech, worlds, art, etc."

This talk of "LotRO2" is only going to confuse people. It's an entirely different topic.

--H
    +10 for truth...please, let's not derail into yet another LOTRO 2 thread

On high-end PCs light-years beyond the minimum specs, this game crashes at least once or twice an hour, sometimes more, in high visual-complexity areas like Minas Tirith. This has been happening for a couple years, with no noticeable improvement. Why don't they deal with this before taking on more ambitious projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I know lots of things have to line up right for this to happen, but let me just say it would make me a very happy hobbit.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD2 View Post
    On high-end PCs light-years beyond the minimum specs, this game crashes at least once or twice an hour, sometimes more, in high visual-complexity areas like Minas Tirith. This has been happening for a couple years, with no noticeable improvement. Why don't they deal with this before taking on more ambitious projects?
    Because this particular ambitious project would fix the aforementioned crashing.

I run Win 10 64 bit and never crash to desktop, but have a kin mate that has same setup and does crash to desktop, is there a setting that will stop this from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm429 View Post
    I run Win 10 64 bit and never crash to desktop, but have a kin mate that has same setup and does crash to desktop, is there a setting that will stop this from happening?
    There are certain things that you cannot prevent crash to desktops on and that is the Insta-Travel horses on at Minas Tirith/Pelennor Fields (During/After battle)/etc.

However, if you want a rock-steady setting list for maximum response, effect visibility and client durability, here's what I recommend:

1) Graphics tab -> Overall Graphics Quality -> Very Low
    2) Graphics tab -> Graphics Hardware Level -> DX9
    3) Advanced Graphics tab -> Object Draw Distance Very High or Ultra High (I always use Ultra High)
    4) Advanced Graphics tab -> Model Detail -> Very High or Ultra High
    5) Advanced Graphics tab -> Distant Imposters -> checked
    6) Advanced Graphics tab -> Texture Detail -> Medium is the default with the settings in 1) but you can bump it to High. Very High eats memory like crazy.
    7) Advanced Graphics tab -> Texture Filtering -> Anisotropic
    8) Advanced Graphics tab -> Anisotropic Filter Quality -> 16

Settings in 7) and 8) help the textures on the ground/walls look sharper in the distance. All of the settings can be increased and still keep you from crashing but the performance of the client starts to degrade over time much faster if you increase settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Awesome, does that mean a new engine too is under discussion? LOTRO2?
    Yes, IF SSG converts the 32 bit code to 64 bit it will be a new engine, it is the engine they are talking about, with all the associated and sundry issues a new engine would have. It is not simply a matter of recompiling in a 64 bit compiler. Significant portions of the code, data structure(s), graphics, etc will and or may need to be re-written and or re-developed.

IT also meanx that SSG will have to maintain two distinct code bases, if they do not want to loose may current members that do not have, can not afford, or are unable to change their existing 32 bit system.

Does it mean that an EU account could then be transferred to a US server and visa versa? Yes and No, but that is a whole different bucket of worms.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Because this particular ambitious project would fix the aforementioned crashing.
    Yes and No. It could fix the low fps and or CTDs in MT, but we could then have them in other locations. What a change to 64bit can do is give SSG a good opportunity to eliminate some of the current issues just be re-coding. However, the re-coding will introduce new issues that will need to be identified, located, understood and then fixed.

I my opinion a code base change would take 2 to 3 years, almost as long as the original development
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

For me, turning off Distant Imposters, and setting object draw distance and frill distance to max helps a lot because less textures queue to load as you wander around the map.

In Gondor, I have to re-boot the client every 3-4 hours to clear the memory cache to avoid a crash.

If I notice graphics lag, I also re-boot the client. for most zones in Rohan and older, I log in for 8-10 hours with zero graphics lag build up. This might be because of less texture load, less players, combination of both.

There are certain things that you cannot prevent crash to desktops on and that is the Insta-Travel horses on at Minas Tirith/Pelennor Fields (During/After battle)/etc.

However, if you want a rock-steady setting list for maximum response, effect visibility and client durability, here's what I recommend:

1) Graphics tab -> Overall Graphics Quality -> Very Low
    2) Graphics tab -> Graphics Hardware Level -> DX9
    3) Advanced Graphics tab -> Object Draw Distance Very High or Ultra High (I always use Ultra High)
    4) Advanced Graphics tab -> Model Detail -> Very High or Ultra High
    5) Advanced Graphics tab -> Distant Imposters -> checked
    6) Advanced Graphics tab -> Texture Detail -> Medium is the default with the settings in 1) but you can bump it to High. Very High eats memory like crazy.
    7) Advanced Graphics tab -> Texture Filtering -> Anisotropic
    8) Advanced Graphics tab -> Anisotropic Filter Quality -> 16

Settings in 7) and 8) help the textures on the ground/walls look sharper in the distance. All of the settings can be increased and still keep you from crashing but the performance of the client starts to degrade over time much faster if you increase settings.
    Again, I never crash to desktop, even when I Insta-Travel. I do use dx 9, but over all graphics quality is set to high. Plus I find putting graphic to very low for me causes lag, no lag when set to high. But thank you for you thoughts.

I do use dx 9
    There you go.

Personally, I can't imagine playing LotRO without the DX10 dynamic shadows cast by trees and such. In the same way, turning textures down to "medium" and such is just a "no go" for me. I'd rather stop playing. And, of course, the primary complaint with the current client is that it does not scale reasonably with modern hardware where it would otherwise be reasonable to expect both high framerates and the ability to turn on all "eye candy" without (of course) crashing at all.

The 64 bit client could prevent crashes (since these are caused because the client frees RAM too slow) but it's not a silver bullet.

It would be good if we can hear more about this, without any promise, of course. An engine modification?; Multithreading?
    Please ignore my ridiculous running animation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast