We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LOTRO Producer's Letter - January 2017

Greetings!

It's been a few weeks since we announced ourselves as Standing Stone Games, and we are now excited to share our plans for the year ahead with you.

Firstly, we want to thank everyone for their continued support as we write some of LOTRO's most exciting history. This is the year that LOTRO ventures forth into Mordor! We currently expect to release the Mordor expansion in the summer, and we'll have a lot more information as we get closer to the day of its arrival.

Prior to Mordor, we have two big things happening in Middle-earth: Update 20, and our 10th Anniversary! We can't wait to celebrate a decade of Lord of the Rings Online with you. We'll be bringing out a new event that will serve as a fun centerpiece to complement the festival, along with our other, usual fanfare. We are planning a lengthy celebration livestream on Twitch and YouTube to celebrate a decade of LOTRO. We will see you in livestream chat and in-game!

Update 20 will feature the region called the Wastes, where players will adventure through the bleak Noman-lands, dismal Dagorlad, and up to the very Slag-hills of Mordor. We will also take players to the Battle at the Black Gate, Lord Aragorn’s last, desperate gambit to divert the Enemy from the real threat. Delve beneath the earth through winding maggot-holes and the Towers of the Teeth in two capstone resource dungeons that can be played in solo and fellowship modes. Finally, Update 20 will offer you a chance to help the various companies within the Host of the West prepare for their final confrontation with the Dark Lord. In addition, the update will feature a new Featured Instance rotation, among other things.

With Update 21, we shatter the Black Gates and march into Mordor for our first expansion in nearly four years! In it, we will cover the fate of the One Ring and then embark on new epic tales, foraying into multiple regions of Mordor after the fall. There, we will encounter strange new monsters, new mechanics, and new treasures to be won. We will begin whole new storylines that look deep into Mordor and hint at things yet to come. We are making plans to debut a new playable race, the High Elf, along with aesthetic improvements to all playable races across the board. We also plan to add large group challenge content in the ensuing update.

Update 22 will round out the year, and is far enough away that we'd like to keep its content under wraps for now. Let's just say that we have years’ worth of plans for Lord of the Rings Online; stories to tell, lands to explore, and heroic deeds to be done.

It remains an honor to be your Executive Producer, and we thank you again for your support.

Sev ~
    Last edited by Cordovan; Jan 27 2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: hyphens for the win

Thanks for the Producer's Letter.

Great plans for a Big year ahead, which I am very much looking forward to.

However, not much there we haven't already been spoiled with via a few interviews already this week. Was hoping for a little bit more detail on a few things; Like the High Elves, the new character appearance details, Pledges?, etc. Guess i'll just have to be patient for a bit longer.

Cheers

Nice letter, a bit more detail on things would have been nice, though.
    And old letters in most cases had a cool teaser-like picture :P

Please don't forget any of the following things for the Expansion or in some cases even earlier:
    -lvlcap rises to 111 (much cooler than 110 or 115 in terms of lotro, but 115 is okay, if the zone is big enough to quest till 115)
    -crafting for lvlcap (including new guild tier, randomfound recipes for lvl106/110 (5 below cap) without essences, levelcapped stuff thats good enough to start with harder instances)
    -huge great landscape (bigger than normal updates as its an expansion)
    -lots of cool quests (and not only simple solo ones, some groupquestareas, dailies, too. epic is gonna be amazing!)
    -dailies or other stuff for soloers
    -instances (at least 2 3-man, 1 6-man, 1 raid)
    -sessionplays for cirith ungol and mount doom
    -reduced store prices for Helms Deep and Far Anorien, make a quintpack including the first five expansions in market.
    -reduce the number of essence slots per item to get tweaks through essences and not OP builds that only rely on essences (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...or-Fixed-stats). If you need the money by solvents, just increase the number of solvents needed to upgrade essences accordingly. Just let items have less slots.
    -nerf the 4 most OP class-related effects/bugs:
    • minstrel groupheal by bolster courage shouldnt increase BC heal by 600% which it does (+the same heal for everyone in the group).
    • Loremasters armour debuff is bugged if both trait and legacy get used which nearly doubles the effect.
    • Champs rend armour debuff legacy is totally OP and puts this debuff at the strength of LMs bugged armour debuff while having 100% uptime and hitting 10 targets. these two armour debuffs double incoming damage. there is no reason for this huge potency, just OPness (the hornstunlegacy physmitdebuff is a bit weaker and doesnt have 100% uptime, but still very strong and needs to be looked at, but not as OP as the other points here. if you change numbers anyway, maybe look at that one, too).
    • Completely bugged hunter barrage (the way of stacking and working with old setbonusses not designed for it)

And it would be cool if some of the other nice-to-have-points of the following list get implemented:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...45#post7654645

Further suggestions are always welcome :P
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Hmm...I didn't see any mention of a crafting update. Was it simply omitted accidentally (fingers crossed)?

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We also plan to add large group challenge content in the ensuing update.
    Does this mean we get instance cluster as of then (later)? Or on initial Mordor launch? Or do you skip 3/6 man instances totally and just do "large group challenge"? As presumably raid - Please no lair raid, unless you do multi boss raid as well.

The same info as one of the recent interviews, practically copy pasted. Happy to hear about 3 updates this year. Why don't you tell us what about this expansion pack makes it an expansion pack? Gondor tells us that we don't need to have an expac to create a new region. And its not that I'm not excited about a new xpac, I am, but I would expect our first producer's letter from you to have more detail.

Yes, I have been made aware of the lack of a header image in the article. We'll have to do that for future letters.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Delve beneath the earth through winding maggot-holes and the Towers of the Teeth in two capstone resource dungeons that can be played in solo and fellowship modes. We also plan to add large group challenge content in the ensuing update.

Sev ~
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Does this mean we get instance cluster as of then (later)? Or on initial Mordor launch? Or do you skip 3/6 man instances totally and just do "large group challenge"? As presumably raid - Please no lair raid, unless you do multi boss raid as well.
    I'm with siipperi on this one. In the past, the language was quite clear--we are getting 6-man or 12-man dungeons and/or crafting instances. Using terms like "large group challenge content" and "capstone resource dungeons" is a bit confusing and/or misleading.

SSG, please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, I have been made aware of the lack of a header image in the article. We'll have to do that for future letters.
    A better format for the Producer's Letter would be good, to get everyone reading excited about the year ahead. But, whilst I can understand the need to not over spoil it, could do with being a bit less frothy and have a bit more sauce.

And a few Items have already been brought up by posters already particularly concerning whether there be a Level Cap Rise and improvements to the Crafting System, amongst others things (both of which are a Must for me) which would be nice if we could have addressed.

Cheers

Hopefully by 2018 you will figure out that something is wrong with Guardians *grumble*

Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    Hmm...I didn't see any mention of a crafting update. Was it simply omitted accidentally (fingers crossed)?
    We are expecting to debut some new crafting recipes in Update 20 related to Reputation. Crafting level will not be going up, but we will be using some new ingredients.
    coolcool

We are expecting to debut some new crafting recipes in Update 20 related to Reputation. Crafting level will not be going up, but we will be using some new ingredients.
    Thanks for the info

"New mechanics" with Update 21....wonder what that will be.

I assume grind will be involved hope it's worth it!
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

This is a great letter in my opinion. I love to hear the optimism about moving on past Mordor.

I also really like the option there seems to be to play solo or group in these "capstone resource tunnels."

Thank you for your dedication to Middle Earth, and I am sure many of us will match your commitment with our own, supporting your endeavour passionately, including financially.

*coughdogscough* would be nice to see added, but after all my years with the game, I am already hugely excited to see improvements to the character models. A very exciting prospect indeed, and of course to hear the map and content will continue to expand, wonderful! ^_^

All the best to those slaving away to make this an amazing experience for us, and a huge thank you for all the content we already have <3 <3 <3 I often feel that isn't said enough, when really, the hard work from others should never be taken for granted.
    My brothers and sisters, a day may come when we grow-up, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Gaming comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we play!
    ~Tinyfangs/Tinypaws/Alinchen~

Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    terms like "large group challenge content" and "capstone resource dungeons"
    In the second case, what we meant is that there are resource dungeon-style instances that function as the capstone for the U20 content. You'll be able to be able to go into both solo and fellowship versions where, naturally, the fellowship ones are harder and yield greater rewards.

Severlin wrote "large group challenge content" for the very simple reason that we are not quite ready to commit to the details yet... but we really wanted to tell you group content was coming! You'd be safe in assuming we're talking actual group instances and not just fellowship landscape areas or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Starina View Post
    Thank you for your dedication to Middle Earth
    Hey, thanks! You guys (and a strong cup of coffee) are what get us chugging every morning.

Any plans on fixing Beornings, Guards and Wardens ? All 3 classes have gimped and bugfed lines that are way overdue for a fix

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Severlin wrote "large group challenge content" for the very simple reason that we are not quite ready to commit to the details yet... but we really wanted to tell you group content was coming! You'd be safe in assuming we're talking actual group instances and not just fellowship landscape areas or the like.
    Thanks for the reply. I hope to see more than one 6 man for Mordor!

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    In the second case, what we meant is that there are resource dungeon-style instances that function as the capstone for the U20 content. You'll be able to be able to go into both solo and fellowship versions where, naturally, the fellowship ones are harder and yield greater rewards.

Thanks for clarifying as much as you could. Cheers.

LOTRO ventures forth into Mordor!
    Do I have to gather my party to venture forth to Mordor ?

With Update 21, we shatter the Black Gates and march into Mordor for our first expansion in nearly four years! In it, we will cover the fate of the One Ring and then embark on new epic tales, foraying into multiple regions of Mordor after the fall. There, we will encounter strange new monsters, new mechanics, and new treasures to be won.
    Please be it Harad. I want the Jungle, Desert, black men tribes, corsairs, tigers and oliphants !

We are making plans to debut a new playable race, the High Elf
    If we have a new subrace for a race we already had (Elves), with no ability to change our race, your 10year old customer like myself are going to be pi***. I know I would buy a High Elf race if I can change my elf, but I will not if I can't. And that would be lame.

On a side note, it's really strange to "end" the LOTR story in LOTRO, after all those years. It felt so far away when we started, and here we are. Must be stranger to you I guess^^

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post
    Any plans on fixing Beornings, Guards and Wardens ? All 3 classes have gimped and bugfed lines that are way overdue for a fix
    We will continue to work on classes as time and development resources permit.
    coolcool

how about making some kind of list of things that might be changed but need hours of work and letting the community decide about its priority?
    It should be obvious, that bugs that affect balance should be fixed before making balancing changes, but besides that... I'd like to upvote/downvote subjects on a list and speed some things up like that. In a way that makes the most players happy the fastest.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Exciting times ahead! Can't wait to see the new areas and especially forge new adventures after the War is over.

Two major questions, though:

1. Mordor has been called an "expansion" but also listed as "Update 21". Which is it? Or is it an expansion that would have been called U21 if it weren't an xpac? Updates are free for VIP. Expansion cost something for everyone, be it cash or LP. Do lifers and other VIPs need to start saving up for a purchase?

2. Is there any level cap increase with Mordor? I like the previously suggested idea of a new cap of 111, which coincides with Bilbo's age when he left the Shire for the last time.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone & Landroval

Is my eagle mount ready in update 21 or 22?

Seriously though, looking forward with much expectation.
    Trying not to be negative and i hope you guys pull it off....

If the eagles are still not going for it bid them Farewell! wherever they fare, till their eyries receive them at the journey's end!
    And it will end when I take a fell beastling and chase them down to said eyrie and pluck their feathers until they resemble my fell beast - Dino
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

No offense but don't you think it's more important to fix what we already have(putting resources towards that) instead of adding a new race???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast