We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

High Elves as a Playable Race

Regarding the Massively Op article where Severlin states that SSG are looking at High Elves as a playable race, my question is: How are they going to be able to make these High Elves that different from pre existing playable Elves?

Cheers

Current elves are silvan. High elves should be well... higher than silvan elves and men. Also they should be more 'magic' oriented. Let's guess what classes they'll have... I could see RK, minstrel, champion, hunter, guardian, warden and may be captain? May be hunters will be excluded as not enough noble for high elves
    Last edited by Wanderv; Jan 20 2017 at 10:35 AM.

I have Elf characters from Lindon and Rivendell that I identify as having Noldor blood, what exactly would we be getting from having a new playable High Elf that we don't already get from our regular Elves? Is this going to be an OP Elf Class?

Cheers

I'd like to know why they want to put High Elf as a new race now, when they could have done so when the game first started. The gimmick of adding Beorning later was that they tied them with their new "class" too, but high elf? They'd have the same classes of 10 years ago. Unless they want players to roll an army of elves and to recreate a makeshift last alliance for the Mordor expansion XD

here is the link to the article, for anyone interested http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/20/ma...-and-daybreak/
    My Lotro blog :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fealhach View Post
    I have Elf characters from Lindon and Rivendell that I identify as having Noldor blood, what exactly would we be getting from having a new playable High Elf that we don't already get from our regular Elves? Is this going to be an OP Elf Class?

Cheers
    Didn't the majority of the High Elves leave for the Grey Havens prior to the Lord of the Rings?
    Let me guess, SSG will monetize the race and not have to really offer anything new with it and folks will buy it, hook line and sinker.
    This of course will be used to sell the Mordor expansion along with the character model revamps.

I guess putting resources into fixing the existing classes/races doesn't equate to enough $$?

/shrug.
    Finally had his William Shatner moment :)

Don't get me wrong, l have no objections to having additional playable races or peoples in game, but what is the motivation behind allowing playable High Elves now compared to other possible choices for playable races or peoples? The Elf background options in game coupled with the appearance options available to them has enabled people to imagine themselves playing High Elves, what is going to distinguish the High Elf from it's 'regular' Elf counterpart that is going to make us want one over what we already have?

Cheers

High elves as race? I wonder why we already have elves tho... but i wouldn't mind it, i guess they would look older then the elves we have now? be interesting to see

its already said the High Elves always longed to return to the Undying Lands, and most had sailed from the Grey Havens by the time of The Lord of the Rings
    Pontin Level 105 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden

Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. and Travelling Event! also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

There are many reasons I don't have a single elf in my 12 toons. This is one of them; the gimpiness of the LOTRO "elf" versus the true grace and power of the Eldar, perhaps essential for balance reasons, is another.
    Glorfindel was roflstomping Balrogs in the First Age; he could probably take Gothmog with one hand tied behind his back, and he'd just laugh at Rakothas.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Cheers
    Just guessing here but it might be a story hook. The Noldor of middle-earth never elected another high-king but now with the upcoming coronation of Elessar (decendent from Elros) they might have a short period of prosperity before they (like all elves) will head westwards.

For me it wood be motivation to start a Runekeeper. That class does perfectly fit ;-)

I can't find that article, could someone please post a link? All I've found so far is an interview talking about the formation of SSG.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I linked it in my previous post, but here it is again

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/20/ma...-and-daybreak/

Link in Miriadel's post, fourth post down.

Cheers

Soo... there is a time in the books where it says, that the LAST high elves take the ships to the west. Does this mean, a new race gets implemented now and every player that chooses said race will have to stop playing their character with the update that lets Gandalf and Frodo sail away?
    Does that somehow imply that the game wont go on afterwards, like being a final update once it gets done?
    Or will it just deny high elves characters to play the following content patches as they obviously sailed to the west?
    Or will all characters somehow be so heroic that they are allowed to sail to the west and following updates will be in the western world afterlive thing where the elves sail to?
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    The gimmick of adding Beorning later was that they tied them with their new "class" too, but high elf?
    Perhaps a new playable High Elf will be a similar race/class combo? I could see that being a way to distinguish them from other elven PCs.
    ~ Everbrock Spudplucker ~

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    Soo... there is a time in the books where it says, that the LAST high elves take the ships to the west. Does this mean, a new race gets implemented now and every player that chooses said race will have to stop playing their character with the update that lets Gandalf and Frodo sail away?
    Does that somehow imply that the game wont go on afterwards, like being a final update once it gets done?
    Or will it just deny high elves characters to play the following content patches as they obviously sailed to the west?
    Or will all characters somehow be so heroic that they are allowed to sail to the west and following updates will be in the western world afterlive thing where the elves sail to?
    All elves will leave middle-earth sooner or later.

But for Celeborn Tolkien stated: "there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens"

There will be a few hundred years until the last of the Eldar will vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    I linked it in my previous post, but here it is again

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/20/ma...-and-daybreak/
    Link in Miriadel's post, fourth post down.

Cheers
    Thanks guys!

Is this the quote?

"Yes. For [LOTRO's] Mordor expansion, we are looking at the High Elf as a new playable race, and we are adding a system that allows players to pledge their sword to Men, Elves, Dwarves, or Hobbits in their battle against Mordor"

I don't mind high elves because I'm an altoholic, and Turbine(SSG) has always made things ingame plausible, but what concerns me is this system for pledging your sword. LOTRO IMHO, has had a long term problem with gimmicky sideshows and not following up on them. I really hope this is not the case.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Yes, that be the quote.

No objections from me for additional playable peoples, just trying to understand the thought process behind it and how it will differ from pre existing Elves.

As for pledging ones sword, there is only one person I'll be pledging my sword to and that is King Elessar. There is no chance any of my Elves (particularly the High ones) will be pledging their swords to Dwarves, or my Hobbits pledging their swords to Men, though they will happily pledge their swords to their own people.

Cheers

Angry

Why on earth would the devs allocating time to this?

Here's a list of issues with the game that need a look at before any kind of new race / class is added:

Beorning - Joedangood maintains a nice post of all the bugs.
    Lore-master - where to start....
    Champ red line
    Warden yellow line
    Rewards of old instances being complete trash even on level at t2c.
    (As well as all classes having utterly useless traits in every line - comes back to my earlier point - if you implement content (trait trees) be prepared to appropriately maintain it).

This was just a list that quickly comes to mind containing some recent introductions to the game (beorning and trait trees) that it would appear devs haven't got the foggiest idea about because they don't play / test their own game.

This is before we even think that the game has become so unfriendly to alt characters (which the majority of created high elfs would be) that people would really lack incentive to buy and play this new race.
    Deldolan - Captain | Eldar -> Evernight
    Delusional - Minstrel | Deloflyn - Lore-master | Delude - Champion

because they need to hype their expansion to their old players and attract new players, and visuals are the first thing one sees in video games. New players won't be attracted by a bug fix for a dungeon of say seven years ago. These are all things they do to hype up the Expac

It's simple really,

High Elves will be a Session Play..., that unlocks a Big Battle..., that ends with Mounted Combat ... /em Grins Evilly
    Footman Ryvick DonHuntstead 100 Guardian

Officer of Baruk Khazad

Arkenstone Server

Quote Originally Posted by Esterian View Post
    Just guessing here but it might be a story hook. The Noldor of middle-earth never elected another high-king but now with the upcoming coronation of Elessar (decendent from Elros) they might have a short period of prosperity before they (like all elves) will head westwards.
    Nope. The remaining Noldor don't hang around at all, they all leave, their story in Middle-earth ends with the departure of the Ring-bearers from the Grey Havens. That makes this a really, really silly time to introduce them because they'd only be thinking about leaving. Really it's got 'gimmick' written all over it. (And also to note: the other Elves do NOT all leave, the movies may have made it sound like they did but that's actually wrong).

The reason we didn't have playable High Elves before, according to what the devs told us originally, was that they're meant to be more powerful than other Elves. You've spotted that problem for yourself and there really is no good answer to that (especially in terms of the established game mechanics, not just lore). Story-wise, Tolkien left them out of the action of the book for a reason - they're OP, they'd have dominated the action. Originally he was intending to have Glorfindel go with the Fellowship but of course he didn't leave it that way.

If the devs really do this then they've lost the plot. It would be all kinds of wrong to have High Elves taking centre stage in anything based on LOTR: they'd had their day, back in the First and Second Ages, and it effectively ended with the War of the Last Alliance and the death of Gil-galad.

It makes perfect sense to bring in a new playable race, class or game mechanic with the Mordor Expansion. These new developments are done separately and parallel to other things in the game and will not affect SSG's continued efforts to identify and address other areas of the game that require them, which should continue to remain a priority.

Cheers

Finland, having a costume party with Jon Sandheaver
    Yeah, the timing, as well as basis for introducing a "high-elf" class were the questions that left me staring at that part of the interview for a good several minutes. The realist in me says that it's only because they need/want a slightly bigger bump in store sales and/or login numbers when we head on to the story climax point in Mordor. And that they just couldn't come up with any other class because, well, there aren't that many viable options available.

I'm interested to see how they are going to make it different enough from the already existing elves.

(This next paragraph is not a suggestion I once played a ###### Asian MMO where there was this thing called "rebirth". After a certain level you had the option to start levelling over from lvl 1 as a new class (after a quest line that took days and required some special items), and when you surpassed your previous class level, you re-learned some of the earlier class skills. So, in effect you became somewhat a semi-multiclass character. In order to make the new High-Elf stand out from its "lower" kin, something radical along those lines should be done, although as said earlier, I'm not suggesting that it's specifically a multi-class system.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    That makes this a really, really silly time to introduce them because they'd only be thinking about leaving. Really it's got 'gimmick' written all over it.

The reason we didn't have playable High Elves before, according to what the devs told us originally, was that they're meant to be more powerful than other Elves. You've spotted that problem for yourself and there really is no good answer to that (especially in terms of the established game mechanics, not just lore). Story-wise, Tolkien left them out of the action of the book for a reason - they're OP, they'd have dominated the action.

If the devs really do this then they've lost the plot.
    For once, you and I agree. The race/class combo of High Elf will be OP and will sell like hot cakes. $$$. All gimmick and no substance.

It makes perfect sense to bring in a new playable race, class or game mechanic with the Mordor Expansion. These new developments are done separately and parallel to other things in the game and will not affect SSG's continued efforts to identify and address other areas of the game that require them, which should continue to remain a priority.
    Either you are being extremely sarcastic or you have taken a full gulp of the SSG koolaid and are beyond help. To be fair, your statement reads like one that should have come directly from SSG. Either way, I'm taking my overly negative #### out of this thread. Have fun
    Finally had his William Shatner moment :)

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Nope. The remaining Noldor don't hang around at all, they all leave, their story in Middle-earth ends with the departure of the Ring-bearers from the Grey Havens. That makes this a really, really silly time to introduce them because they'd only be thinking about leaving. Really it's got 'gimmick' written all over it. (And also to note: the other Elves do NOT all leave, the movies may have made it sound like they did but that's actually wrong).

The reason we didn't have playable High Elves before, according to what the devs told us originally, was that they're meant to be more powerful than other Elves. You've spotted that problem for yourself and there really is no good answer to that (especially in terms of the established game mechanics, not just lore). Story-wise, Tolkien left them out of the action of the book for a reason - they're OP, they'd have dominated the action. Originally he was intending to have Glorfindel go with the Fellowship but of course he didn't leave it that way.

If the devs really do this then they've lost the plot. It would be all kinds of wrong to have High Elves taking centre stage in anything based on LOTR: they'd had their day, back in the First and Second Ages, and it effectively ended with the War of the Last Alliance and the death of Gil-galad.
    You are right, Galdariel and Elrond left middle-earth together with Frodo and Gandalf but as I wrote above not Celeborn (and the sons of Elrond which were quite active btw...). He wont stay completly alone and some of his kin will stay with him. He founded East Lorien across the Anduin and later settled in Rivendell.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast