We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 152
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by dselden View Post
    I feel like a poll should be done to assess whether people pick flowers or not, whether they enjoy picking flowers or if they only pick flowers for the reward, and if people would like to continue picking flowers in the future. Personally, I've done flowers on several of my characters for the rewards, but it is something I absolutely dread doing.
    This
    Eruadarion | Captain | on Gwaihir [EU-DE]
    www.avorthalier.eu

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by dselden View Post
    I feel like a poll should be done to assess whether people pick flowers or not, whether they enjoy picking flowers or if they only pick flowers for the reward, and if people would like to continue picking flowers in the future. Personally, I've done flowers on several of my characters for the rewards, but it is something I absolutely dread doing.
    I have only picked ~5 flowers on my main. When I realized how much time I would have to spend just picking flowers, I stopped and don't plan to ever pick flowers again.

    Edit: I do not mind the repetitive gind. But its a difference whether I have to grind completely solo, possibly even competing with other solo pickers, or if I grind an instance or raid together with a nice group, having fun winning or failing (sometimes failing is more fun than winning - if you have the right people with a decent sense of humor :-)

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,284
    Dungeons in U20 sounds nice, hope to see a new 6-man or two.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by monk_tbd View Post
    Said like this I absolutely agree.

    It is just that your initial "I drop VIP and have everything I need" message seems a bit off unless you spend the additional LP so thanks for the additional clarifications.

    I have all that content already (slowly acquired over the years) but i could just get all this again with my stack of LP.

    So I could invest into solvents easily but I simply do not want to pay for character advancement, this is what I play the game for.
    Same goes for stat tomes.


    Content and quality of game play improvements like wallet, shared storage, wardrobe, I have no issues spending LPs for.
    I prefer to play content for character advancement too, and I've always been that way. We now live in a game where that is no longer feasible though. Shared storage, wardrobe, wallet etc, are all great products, all of which I have maxed. They for most part though, do not come as part of the VIP package. I would idealy like to continue with my sub, just as I have for the last four years, but I simply cannot justify paying it again this year. It was poor value last year, but this year, it is just too much like overkill, when to play end game, I'm chained to the store on top of the sub.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
    I have only picked ~5 flowers on my main. When I realized how much time I would have to spend just picking flowers, I stopped and don't plan to ever pick flowers again.

    Edit: I do not mind the repetitive gind. But its a difference whether I have to grind completely solo, possibly even competing with other solo pickers, or if I grind an instance or raid together with a nice group, having fun winning or failing (sometimes failing is more fun than winning - if you have the right people with a decent sense of humor :-)
    I don't go out of my way to pick flowers, I quest and pick up as I go (what's directly in my path). It's surprising how many you can get that way. The actual flower picking isn't really the problem for me. I can take or leave that (I'd prefer to leave it), its the damn essence grind that goes with it that get's on my nerves. I understand the game has a lot of playstyles, and I'm a supporter of them all, even if I don't play them all. I get the whole "flower picking is a nice activity" for some players. That's fine, but it shouldn't be the only activity. I know we have the raid, and FI's, but when one dangles better carrots under flowers, people will be drawn to flowers - even if they hate it. Regardless of that though, its still the essence system that underlies all end game content now that causes the distain for flower picking in particular.

    We often get breakouts of grumbles on the forum, but in all my years playing, this is the first time I've ever seen all player types stand up at once, for most part in harmony. SSG should think about that IMO. Annoying small pockets of players in one playstyle at a time, means other players will keep things afloat. Annoying everyone at once, could be the death of the game.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    A thing about sub-only quests is maintenance. It appears that maintenance costs are a high priority in decision making, and it should be. Look at the logistic curve. Look at its first derivative. We are down to the core, also known as the long tail. Financially, since my mom died and we took care of her at a personal cost during her final years, the household's income was drastically cut (3 checks to two) and that's not going to change for some time. For me a sub is worth it paying 6 or 12 months up front and I'm buying access, entertainment and store credit with it and a few other perks. At $15 a month, well, I can spend that on two accounts and have what I want, rather than just one. For the company, it is dollars/euros today that count most (just like money today counts most for me, even with valuing having some tomorrow, too). How they get them matters a bit less. If I am any way typical, they get more steady money from me as premium right now than they would as a recurring subscriber. When those other expenses have finally been paid (no, insurance does not necessarily cover everything ... read your contract carefully) and things turn around, if I and the game are still living, I'll renew my long term subs, supplementing those with in-game earnings (which is how I see what they designed that part to be).

    That said, I support this if it can be done with low maintenance costs.
    A single sub only quest, done on a cooldown, once per day per account, shouldn't take much maintenance. It's not that different to the sub only crafting ingredient crate already in game (in fact, the premium ingredient crate is once per day per char, so would have taken more to do). If they don't have enough resources to cover something that small and simple, then we may as well all pack up now and go home, because the game has already past the point of no return in that case.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  7. #57
    "Flora System in Dagorlad 'may' be possible, imagine:

    Find a sparkley spot on the ground
    'use' a foragers basket on the spot
    'use' Lorien Soil on the spot
    'use' a Solvent on the spot
    Do Emote /beg

    two possible results

    1. You get your choice of a really cool essence
    2. You get Gnarly Twig

    (Don't loose Hope, 10 Gnarly Twigs can be bartered with a Herb-Master for your choice of a really cool essence)"

    ...Acutually, I thnink we'll need 10 Gnarly Twigs to make a Supreme Gnarly Twig which we can then barter for a regular essence of which we will need 10 more to then barter for a really cool essence. :P

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    55ms ping
    Posts
    467
    If Standing Stone is looking at an additional benefit for VIP subscribers and plans to keep the essence system for years to come, add a daily/weekly Universal Solvent cache. The tech is already in the game for Housing.

    From a housing item like the already available Universal Ingredient Pack daily bundles. (VIP Subscribers currently get 6 Universal Ingredient Packs per day on top of 3 for f2p) they just have to buy a store item for their house.

    30 universal solvents per week for VIP subscribers. This would allow a VIP subscriber the ability to either use the Solvents, or sell them at auction hall for f2p'ers if the VIP player doesn't need them.

    This would great benefit people with crafters and multiple end-game toons.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    If Standing Stone is looking at an additional benefit for VIP subscribers and plans to keep the essence system for years to come, add a daily/weekly Universal Solvent cache. The tech is already in the game for Housing.

    From a housing item like the already available Universal Ingredient Pack daily bundles. (VIP Subscribers currently get 6 Universal Ingredient Packs per day on top of 3 for f2p) they just have to buy a store item for their house.

    30 universal solvents per week for VIP subscribers. This would allow a VIP subscriber the ability to either use the Solvents, or sell them at auction hall for f2p'ers if the VIP player doesn't need them.

    This would great benefit people with crafters and multiple end-game toons.
    I'd prefer to do a quest to earn the solvent, which is why I didn't suggest the crate option, but instead used it as an example of how the quest would work. I would however, settle for the cache instead, as the end result would be the same, even if the journey would be a mere click and boring. I think 30 solvents a week is taking it a bit too far. I would like to retain some aspect of actually playing, and I think they should be bound to the subscriber account, along with the essences that they can make from them. The whole idea behind this is to benefit the subcriber enough to keep paying, not to benefit everyone by proxy. I understand that may not suffice if the player has a lot of alts (I should know that, with my little army of them), but for players only running one or two, it is too lucrative a concept. Perhaps they could get around that by making the cache accessible by all level capped alts only, two or three times per week, or something along those lines.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Jan 11 2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  10. #60
    A couple weird questions on that interview. The one about having low morale when you log in was one. You know that was intentionally added after people abused the previous system right?

    Also, it basically sounded like you were asking for the return of radiance gear or some equivalent, which I also find unattractive.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    Dungeons in U20 sounds nice, hope to see a new 6-man or two.
    Agreed. Tbh I'm a bit sick of 3 mans - haven't ran those that much lately (for past 4 months really) but IMO lotro's bread and butter is with 6 mans rather than 3 mans. Synergy just works better in 6 mans and you don't have to think does this combo work or does that combo work.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Agreed. Tbh I'm a bit sick of 3 mans - haven't ran those that much lately (for past 4 months really) but IMO lotro's bread and butter is with 6 mans rather than 3 mans. Synergy just works better in 6 mans and you don't have to think does this combo work or does that combo work.

    I like both equally. 6 mans take the lead slightly for fun factor, but 3 mans can be done anytime when numbers are short. It's equally weighted from my perspective. A couple of both would be nice.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    I think you spend too much time on non-issues like the essence grind that will most certainly be reset with Mordor if not sooner. These are things that if you get them fixed, you get a short term temporary win at best. There are long standing issues that are so much more important because they could bring lasting change if you even know what I mean. Hint: trait points and virtues.

    My biggest problem with these interviews, you only care to ask about what you personally care about. Raiding, essences, etc. The people whose seriously raid for gear and grind the best essences are few. Most people want quality of life fixes.

    Very disappointed with this interview.
    Dadi asked around in kin chat several different times to get questions that interest everyone when preparing for this interview. We have a large group that represent every aspect of the game easily. The questions brought up were by far the most popular. Perhaps "most people" is tough to judge based on one's own personal experience.

    Dadi's lotro guides are primarily for aiding the folks who want to partake in group content. Grinding virtues/trait points don't really need a guide so would not be particularly interesting on his site.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Agreed. Tbh I'm a bit sick of 3 mans - haven't ran those that much lately (for past 4 months really) but IMO lotro's bread and butter is with 6 mans rather than 3 mans. Synergy just works better in 6 mans and you don't have to think does this combo work or does that combo work.
    I also prefer 6-mans, but I really hope they design future T2C 3-mans to be more accessible (not necessarily easier) to certain classes/lines, i.e. burgs.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    You arent that much stronger relatively to other well build characters in pvp raids considering scale and bursty nature of gameplay. people just needs to l2p. If you gonna seriously b about not getting group because MORE skilled players are picked over less skilled get out of here... Get better and stop moaning. Biggest and only real imbalance these causes are for 1v1s. There is no need for artificial barriers but make 105 pvp armor. Its absolutely ridiculous if you think people are picked just by gear, these people are picked usually because they are highly skilled, most of the are annonymous anyway and no way to tell what they wear. I would take any day of the week hardened pvp veteran over guy with throne gear and little experience with ettens.
    I personally use the audacity gear (and switched to the audacity essence gear when it became available). I don't T2C (or even PvMP these days) due to time constraints. But I do know that things like the stat bloat with HD, the huge increases to stats/damage/etc with imbument and the ever increasingly "better" essences that each new update brings does continue to inch us further along, whereas the creeps remain stagnant unless the devs purposefully go in to boost them (as they did just recently).

    I do agree the greatest imbalance in PvMP are the 1v1s. And while many are of the opinion that 1v1s should be against the rules, since it's supposed to be a huge army against a huge army, our characters have also been designed to be more "special" than the average joe on the field. No, we aren't the Fellowship, but we are the next best thing. I don't find it all that unexpected that we might find ourselves 1v1 even on the field of battle. If Eowyn and Merry can 2v1 the Witchking, then why not?

    In PvMP I've seen complete newbs invited into the big raids. Usually only the players who leroy the show or simply can't follow orders or create even more drama than already present are the only ones who aren't usually accepted into raids (depending on who is leading). And I've never seen gear to be a factor personally, though I know that gear has been a common factor in T2(C). But it seems as though PvMP gear gets upgraded later than PvE gear. Since I suspect we're facing a level cap increase with Mordor, I'm wondering how quickly new PvMP gear will arrive and whether the PvE stuff will be significantly better. Consider the stat increase when HD launched. Pre-West Rohan gear compared to Post-West Rohan gear. That is a marked difference.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    4 Chalk Road, Nettlevale
    Posts
    1,772

    Thumbs down

    I have a high regard for Dadi, for his guides, maps and all kinds of community service he does. It's totally natural that he would ask his own questions or of those who would be immediately accessible to him. My problem isn't with what was asked but what and how was answered.

    Probably they're watching raw numbers: Number of people buying solvents on the store, number of characters picking flowers, grinding the Yule Festival for raw essences etc. and thinking they were spot on because many people are doing those things. Well, people are doing those things because they have nothing else to do and there's a limit when patience is depleted, addiction and custom wear of. It happened before, it's happening now.

    It's not only the forum. Same concerns are often sounded in world chats, kin chats, friend channels, private conversations... but they wouldn't know about that would they? If they were doing any in-game monitoring trolls and griefers wouldn't have a field day every other night, though that's another subject...
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

  17. #67
    In my opinion LOTRO currently has a fundamental issue with its subscription. I currently own all quest packs/instances, so I have no incentive to subscribe. (I can live without remote mail, I don't pvp and I don't own a premium house.) The only thing that remains is new quest packs. In the past three years we've seen 2 quest packs per year. I can buy 1600 points for $20. So should I spend $20 per year or $99 per year to play all content? I know Far Anorien was more expensive but 2017 will only have 1 quest pack (the other update is an expansion), so it almost averages out to 1600 points per year if you don't subscribe. The price I'll have to pay for the expansion is irrelevant because VIP will have to pay the same.

    The other (personal) issue I have with subscription is that if you pay the monthly fee, you should not have to pay for anything else. But currently here you are still being charged for solvents to play your characters effectively. I do think anyone paying for 3 solvents to upgrade to golden ithilien essences which will be obsolete in March is out of their mind. (It's a different story if you don't have anorien supremes yet.) So I'm just going to ignore the ithilien essences. I would say it's been wasted dev time but a lot of people have been using their solvents on it, hence they'll need to buy new ones for u20. So as long as a majority of players keeps running on the treadmill, they'll keep increasing the speed/slope on it. I would encourage everyone to keep buying those solvents and getting golden ithilien essences to generate steady revenue for SSG so they don't have to start charging me more than $20 per year for actual content!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Nydhogg View Post
    In my opinion LOTRO currently has a fundamental issue with its subscription. I currently own all quest packs/instances, so I have no incentive to subscribe. (I can live without remote mail, I don't pvp and I don't own a premium house.) The only thing that remains is new quest packs. In the past three years we've seen 2 quest packs per year. I can buy 1600 points for $20. So should I spend $20 per year or $99 per year to play all content? I know Far Anorien was more expensive but 2017 will only have 1 quest pack (the other update is an expansion), so it almost averages out to 1600 points per year if you don't subscribe. The price I'll have to pay for the expansion is irrelevant because VIP will have to pay the same.

    The other (personal) issue I have with subscription is that if you pay the monthly fee, you should not have to pay for anything else. But currently here you are still being charged for solvents to play your characters effectively. I do think anyone paying for 3 solvents to upgrade to golden ithilien essences which will be obsolete in March is out of their mind. (It's a different story if you don't have anorien supremes yet.) So I'm just going to ignore the ithilien essences. I would say it's been wasted dev time but a lot of people have been using their solvents on it, hence they'll need to buy new ones for u20. So as long as a majority of players keeps running on the treadmill, they'll keep increasing the speed/slope on it. I would encourage everyone to keep buying those solvents and getting golden ithilien essences to generate steady revenue for SSG so they don't have to start charging me more than $20 per year for actual content!
    We're in a very similar boat. I am subscribed (until March), and I only own the expacs. When renewal time comes around, I have two options . . . .

    1. Pay another $100.00, for another year, which will need renewing again next year, and still need solvents on top to gear up.
    2. Pay $39.00 for enough LP to purchase all the packs, never need to buy them again, and still need solvents on top to gear up.

    That really isn't a choice - they are miles apart.

    The sub has to get a lot better . . . or go.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,339
    I subscribe for one reason. Beggars can't be choosers. There is no other LOTR MMO and after the hype has died down from the trilogy (and the lack of hype from the Hobbit trilogy), I seriously doubt any new LOTR MMO would stand a chance at all. And even in the (IMO, remote) event that it did, it simply would not have the same feel and the feel of this game is a big part of the appeal.

    As such, if I want to play in my Middle-Earth sandbox, I have to use SSG's playground. However many broken swings it has. As such, if my pittance helps keep the doors open, then I'm okay with it. I don't need seesaws that don't squeak, a merry-go-round that doesn't tilt or a slide without any bumps. They still function and I'm here because I like the story and the world it is set in. If I was here for the other things, it might be different. But the story is where Turbine/SSG shine. So long as MoL keeps us going, I'm here for the long haul.
    Last edited by Mar-Evayave; Jan 11 2017 at 08:44 PM.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    Cordovan: 'we are not done with the flora system'..... it will be expanded....
    Absolutely terrible news. This is worse than Radiance, worse than Mounted Combat, and just like them, its devs are refusing to let it go, continually tweaking it in the hopes (or stringent belief in the face of all reality) that it can become FUN before it's abandoned.

    Sad to see history repeat itself again. Really wish we could get a decision maker that actually can recognize these pitfalls before they occur or soon after and course correct. But then, that would require one that actually played LOTRO, I spose. A cook who tasted his broth? What a crazy concept.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    It's not only the forum. Same concerns are often sounded in world chats, kin chats, friend channels, private conversations... but they wouldn't know about that would they? If they were doing any in-game monitoring trolls and griefers wouldn't have a field day every other night, though that's another subject...
    Or more to the point, if they actually PLAYED the game, they would see for themselves the issue, however...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    But then, that would require one that actually played LOTRO, I spose. A cook who tasted his broth? What a crazy concept.
    I know I act like a rabid FFXIV fan boi at times, but the glaring differences between the two dev teams are astounding. In FFXIV, you constantly hear about the devs, the producer--even the folks working on the music--playing the game. And not just on some twitch video feed meant to publicize the game, but you will hear actual feedback on how dev X is working on his gear, how he or she finds the new raid difficulty, etc. There is a definite investment in the team to make the game fun, because they are fans and play the game as well. That is something sorely lacking with LotRO and it has been that way for years. MoL is the one bright spot worth mentioning, but that's it (imo).
    Last edited by bucko39; Jan 11 2017 at 10:08 PM.
    Finally had his William Shatner moment :)

  22. #72
    Interesting Interview and discussion points.

    However totally disagree with Dadi's suggestion that players would want raid armour buffs to only apply in raids.
    Most PVE players will want the benefits to carry over to all PVE content including landscape (you earned it after all).

    Any armour restrictions to balance PVP should be kept within the moors and not impact PVE content.


    Note:
    Still chasing fix to Captain's Red Line Raid Armour (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...equest-to-fix)
    Knight | Captain | Arkenstone | Raging Raiders

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    352
    For a company that's essentially in the social media business, they are surprisingly anti-social.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    4 Chalk Road, Nettlevale
    Posts
    1,772

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    Or more to the point, if they actually PLAYED the game, they would see for themselves the issue, however...
    Absolutely true.
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

  25. #75
    Haha. Time to ask the devs to take a week off and just play the game for a bit. Admittedly it'd probably do more good for the game in the long term than this continued crusade to make the end-game grind crush the majority of players until only the MMO whales are left...who then promptly run out of people to buy stuff off of.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload