We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 124 of 124
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasburns View Post
    1. The fact they mentioned updating the graphics in a posted statement proves it.

    2. ...the revamp will happen.
    1. They mentioned the possibility of updating the graphics

    2. Assumption #9,999
    Finally had his William Shatner moment :)

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by fish'nchip View Post
    I'd like to wish the new company all the luck with LOTRO. I'm sure they're very excited to take this game into "infinity and beyond (the sea of Rhun)"

    Since they're going to start by revamping characters, my wishes are:
    Better and more fluid, almost cinematic animations. (mocap?) This apply for combat and horse riding.
    What I don't want to see is a Korean MMO approach to combat, with over-the-top animations and effects. Please no.
    Needless to say, a texture revamp and better memory management to see more landscape features and from further away.
    A comprehensive character creator to make ourselves look almost unique. I'd like to see fat warriors, like Mr. Butterbur.
    The Cloth Maps need more love. They look too...WoWish.

    As a LOTR fan, I'd like this game to feel more tangible. It's the only comprehensive Tolkien interactive world we have, and we should strive to make it as faithful to the books as we can. Right?
    I don't know what will happen but i know what i want. Added to the already existing hairstyles, body marks, eyebrow shapes & beard styles (just made them more texture rich on the new models):
    1. I want a more complex customization on the character body build & face shape build:
      • Added to the already existing overall weight slider:
        1. upper body slider
        2. lower body size sliders
        3. height slider
      • Similarly divide face shape in:
        1. upper face slider
        2. lower face slider
        3. lengh slider
      • Make the face tickness adjust in proportion to the body weigh
    2. more variation on hairstyles
    3. more variation on birth marks & scars
    4. Wider color palette on all races.

    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,024
    What I would like to see is for the devs to show us what they're considering and let us give our thoughts before doing anything drastic.

    There have been tweaks to the characters before (anyone remember the male elf body change uproar?) and they were received with mixed reactions, to put it mildly.

    Before devoting a lot of time and resources to this, I'd like the team to put up some concept art for us to evaluate, and write a proposal on what they're thinking of changing and why they think it's necessary to spend time on. Like a dev diary, but for the design stages.

    Something like this can bring out strong feelings. Let the community see it and be able to react beforehand, don't just drop it on us as a done deal.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post
    What I would like to see is for the devs to show us what they're considering and let us give our thoughts before doing anything drastic.

    There have been tweaks to the characters before (anyone remember the male elf body change uproar?) and they were received with mixed reactions, to put it mildly.

    Before devoting a lot of time and resources to this, I'd like the team to put up some concept art for us to evaluate, and write a proposal on what they're thinking of changing and why they think it's necessary to spend time on. Like a dev diary, but for the design stages.

    Something like this can bring out strong feelings. Let the community see it and be able to react beforehand, don't just drop it on us as a done deal.
    That'd be a pretty decent way to handle it.

    Of course, I would like them to also give their reasoning behind thinking about this in the first place. Hundreds of other topics come up more frequently than avatar revamps.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post

    Of course, I would like them to also give their reasoning behind thinking about this in the first place. Hundreds of other topics come up more frequently than avatar revamps.
    My guess...because it's flashy, much more interesting to promote with an upcoming expansion than say...class revamps, fixing bugs, increasing game performance, etc.
    In the end, what is going to give them the most $$

    Cynical, but sadly, true.
    Finally had his William Shatner moment :)

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    My guess...because it's flashy, much more interesting to promote with an upcoming expansion than say...class revamps, fixing bugs, increasing game performance, etc.
    In the end, what is going to give them the most $$

    Cynical, but sadly, true.
    I wouldn't say it would bring in more money. At best it would lead to a brief period of renewed interest before people realise they spend 98% of their time looking everywhere but their avatar and get bored of the other broken systems.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA East
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    Since LOTRO isn't built around subscriptions, you can't count "net gain" by counting players. If they do this, the whole point is to get more money out of whales who will pay for the most expensive options. That's what you get when you include a cash shop (note that f2p isn't really the issue, just the cash shop).

    This is the other reason why you won't see a toggle (although I'd assume that cranking down video sliders should have a similar effect, you'll just see low-polygon new models instead of the old): the whales who pay for such things certainly don't want you seeing them without the video options they paid for. I suspect the whole thing will die once certain highly-invested beta testers find that their favorite outfits don't look as good with the new models: that's something that will be utterly demanded and essentially impossible to fulfill (the new faces might survive, but it won't be worth making a big deal about)
    Spot on. "Net Gain" here could mean dollars, players, whales, whatever keeps the game running longer... and a cosmetic revamp won't be that. It'll anger as many, or more, folks than it pleases. The folks it angers will stop paying money because they are no longer as deeply identified with their avatars. And your point about favorite outfits is correct as well. This is a minefield of potential problems with a small or zero upside.

    And we have graphical bugs, skill fixes and crashing to fix as a higher priority. Many, many folks have chimed in on this thread to say "fix the back-end before you work on cosmetics." That's my primary concern as well.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA East
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by ainor View Post
    Hey! Don't try to nick my title! I'm very proud of it!

    I'm sorry good Sir but I believe that fine and honourable title was bestowed on me. If you read post #65-67 and#72 you will clearly see that it was given directly to me. I believe it was given to me because I stated my opinion and mostly because my opinion is not the same as the OP's and some others.

    A second thought; Maybe we could share it? After all, sharing is more fun. Now that I think about it, I would be happy to share the title with you and all the other people in this thread who is opposed to a full character revamp and who came to this thread to voice their opinion.
    Sharing is caring! There's plenty of pie (troll titles?) for everyone. I still miss The_Jaggananth.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    I wouldn't say it would bring in more money. At best it would lead to a brief period of renewed interest before people realise they spend 98% of their time looking everywhere but their avatar and get bored of the other broken systems.
    Yes, but when new players start the game, it's literally front and center, 100% of their time they are looking at the models. Players who don't play LotRO cite the character models as something they can't stand, a reason they didn't keep playing. Those players aren't giving their opinions in this thread, maybe they gave their opinion to Turbine at some point.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO ~ Guide To Dual-Boxing LotRO

  10. #110
    Given the other much more pressing issues with the game, I would say that revamping character models is about 115th on my list.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by TheREALify View Post
    Besides, I don't see a litany of threads on the forums begging for character model makeovers. What I do see is thread after thread complaining about essences and the unwieldy grind you've stacked on top of them. Your flower-picking system generates a nearly endless stream of hate-posts. There are even threads asking for some way out of this essence black-hole you've created (read: non-essence crafting). Your response to this feedback is to make our faces pretty? I really don't think more triangles in our character meshes is going to go very far towards fixing the problems this game has. That you do is rather telling.
    Because they died down a long time ago. People who left because of that are not going to lurk on the forum for a decade making post about it. And those who stayed are used to it by now. I know it was a recurring post back at release. The avatar look was, and is, far away from the quality of the rest of the game, graphic wise. The game itself is rather realistic looking, and even today, pretty. Avatars are very cartoony and unrealistic. Usually you pick one, mixing both is weird.
    Are you really surprised people stopped complaining about an issue 10years later when the devs mentioned it would never be changed several time ?

    It's obvious the people on the forum are going to be biased, since most of them either like the avatar look, or are used to it. On the other hand, you just have to check what people think from outside the game to see it's an issue for a lot. Now, I don't know how what the revamp entails, and if it will bring some people in, but I'm interested.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    Character revamp doesn't just fall into the "fluff" category. For it to be done properly it requires a whole lot of work behind the scenes. "Fluff" gets made because it's quick and easy and never needs to be touched again, a revamp is not quick and easy and needs to be continually tweaked. Don't worry, you will always get your fluff but what you are asking for here is not fluff.
    You're right but devs estimate this as work that could be done. Look how they improved and expand housing system but for year we were told it's too complicated.
    So I guess the world/lore is the important bit for you and visuals aren't a deal-breaker.
    Right visuals is also part of lore.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    The devs of EQ have since insisted that that was a huge mistake due to the upkeep required for 2 separate sets of avatars. Toggle button is not a solution, it's a problem.
    EQ2's engine obviously is very different so its problems could not be replicable on Lotro's engine. If devs think it'll work out good then ok.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Daguest View Post
    Because they died down a long time ago. People who left because of that are not going to lurk on the forum for a decade making post about it. And those who stayed are used to it by now. I know it was a recurring post back at release. The avatar look was, and is, far away from the quality of the rest of the game, graphic wise. The game itself is rather realistic looking, and even today, pretty. Avatars are very cartoony and unrealistic. Usually you pick one, mixing both is weird.
    Are you really surprised people stopped complaining about an issue 10years later when the devs mentioned it would never be changed several time ?

    It's obvious the people on the forum are going to be biased, since most of them either like the avatar look, or are used to it. On the other hand, you just have to check what people think from outside the game to see it's an issue for a lot. Now, I don't know how what the revamp entails, and if it will bring some people in, but I'm interested.
    Exactly this. Nearly every blog entry about Lotro on Massively has comments how badly avatars look and people can't play because of this.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtower View Post
    This is accurate. It will result in a net gain of zero,
    Blizzard's WoW? They revamped their avatars and many people returned to the game to look at it, it was one or the main selling points of expansion.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
    NO NO NO and NO

    I am horrified at the option to maintain two systems.
    We know that they cannot even handle the fact, that medium armor needs to come with two main stats (might for beorns, agility for all others)
    Because it is too difficult to provide two sets of medium armor, they opted for vit or fate instead of main stat.
    See what this means long-term for two systems of avatars and animations?
    Yes. Yes. This is entirely true. Beornings are a broken class. As I was leveling up my Hunter, at one point I had more fate than agility. I do the next epic quest - only rewards are weapons worse than the ones I already have and ICPR/ICMR cloak and shoulder guards. Beornings should simply be upgraded to Heavy armour and then be nerfed in more manageable ways, ways which are not detrimental to other classes.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    EQ2's engine obviously is very different so its problems could not be replicable on Lotro's engine. If devs think it'll work out good then ok.
    Erm, the doubling of resources required to maintain 2 sets of models instead of 1 is not an engine-specific problem...
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    Just trying to be realistic, the dev team is pretty small these days. Is it really worth trying to appeal to everyone and thus wasting resources that they could be using to improve/address more important factors in revitalising interest in this game? I don't think so.

    And I'm pretty sure Everquest tried to do the toggle option with their character revamp, they ended up considering it a huge mistake due to the sheer amount of extra work it put on everything.
    Well it has me interested in returning. This was my first MMO, I now play Black Desert most of the time. My opinion is if LOTRO had character models and graphics like Black Desert it would attract alot of players back. Just because they are improving one area of the game does not mean they wont improve other areas of the game. I think it is a step in the right direction.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000137847/01008/signature.png]Maytrim[/charsig]

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by saad2 View Post
    Well it has me interested in returning. This was my first MMO, I now play Black Desert most of the time. My opinion is if LOTRO had character models and graphics like Black Desert it would attract alot of players back. Just because they are improving one area of the game does not mean they wont improve other areas of the game. I think it is a step in the right direction.
    That post was referring to the "toggle button" approach being a silly suggestion. As for LOTRO models and graphics equaling Black Desert...that one isn't even possible, the engine is too old to support such a thing. A character revamp on this game would mostly be a slightly different artistic style for the models rather than really high res.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stouting, The Shire
    Posts
    259
    While I am 100% in favor of a character revamp, I'm also a pragmatist. What we really need are new options for faces and hair, or higher resolution faces and hair. The hair all looks like helmets and the faces all look alike. Everything else is covered by armor.

    If you can give people more options regarding faces and hair a full character revamp may not be needed and resources could be allocated elsewhere.
    Paislea - Minstrel | Staesia - Champion | Thaewyn - Lore-Master
    Not all who wander are lost...

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    16
    As far as i'm concerned, the only thing that would bring me back to the game is a major revamp to the character art & animation. The WoW update was fantastic, brought me back for years. While I'm interested to see what they'll do, I highly doubt it'll be as significant an improvement. Here's hoping.

  22. #122
    Please dont play with my character animations, everything is perfect there for the last 9 years.

    Move on, fix bugs...

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacuum View Post
    Please dont play with my character animations, everything is perfect there for the last 9 years.

    Move on, fix bugs...

    You'll be able to keep older facial aesthetics as well (Animations)

  24. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninky View Post
    You'll be able to keep older facial aesthetics as well (Animations)
    So wait, they are not changing character movement/ posture/ combat animations?

 

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload